ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Pandemic with update from NCHSAA

I believe Mr Cooper said schools will start in mid-August.

No clarity on if that means in class or distance learning. Being 3 months away, I think in class should be expected.

Unless people fear some bees that literally have been around since my childhood.

Reactions: PBBear51
I believe Mr Cooper said schools will start in mid-August.

No clarity on if that means in class or distance learning. Being 3 months away, I think in class should be expected.

Unless people fear some bees that literally have been around since my childhood.
In his press conference, he indicated that he didn’t know what K-12 or college classes would look like. Whether it would be virtual (online), AB days where students would alternate days, a process starting elementary schools first, or something else.
He did have a press conference with the legislative leaders in which they talked about allowing schools to start one week earlier than the usual August 25th (ish) date. He didn’t say what that would look like because nobody knows yet. Hopefully, it will be what we have all come to expect with the yellow buses rolling.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the more pain the politicions can put on the public the more power hungry they get .I'm wondering if there is a line that can be crossed that the citizens of this country will then say enough is enough. If not where heading to a place we don't want to be. I'm way past the point of this nonsense

i already said we was going all the way.The rest of these punk teams need to step aside and recognize!!!

Looks like the levy of lockdown is cracking quickly. Fourty-eight states open now and a federal judge intervention on the governor's executive order that impacts the Church.
With all the push back that's happening now, and a judicial stay on an executive order which basically knocks the teeth out of it and makes it a simple suggestion now as far as the law is concerned, we might be on a roll for August or maybe even June?

Reactions: 97Cougar
The court case on worship services is a 14 day temporary injunction on enforcement of the Governor’s executive order, only as it regards religious services. The case will be heard on May 29th to determine the merits of the order as it regards religious services. Doesn’t affect in any way the remainder of the executive orders and may ultimately not affect this part, depending on who prevails.

I think there may be athletic practices, possibly in August. I doubt June.

The court case on worship services is a 14 day temporary injunction on enforcement of the Governor’s executive order, only as it regards religious services. The case will be heard on May 29th to determine the merits of the order as it regards religious services. Doesn’t affect in any way the remainder of the executive orders and may ultimately not affect this part, depending on who prevails.

I think there may be athletic practices, possibly in August. I doubt June.

Do you really believe there are any "merits" to the order forbidding inside religious services? Cooper's office said they will not appeal the ruling.

The federal judge specifically noted "There are no pandemic exceptions in the (U.S.) constitution."

I suspect all of these political closings will be found unconstitutional.

Mule I'm guessing one thing will lead to another sort of too on the shutdowns. My thoughts are if that happens a lot of the powers to be will have changes in heart about shutting things down including schools which would have impact on our 2020 season. However, if there's a massive resurgence of Covid 19, I would assume that they would be forced to do it again with pressure from many fronts. Yet at the moment, the momentum for shutting things down is weakened big time by the courts stay.

Do you really believe there are any "merits" to the order forbidding inside religious services? Cooper's office said they will not appeal the ruling.

The federal judge specifically noted "There are no pandemic exceptions in the (U.S.) constitution."

The judge was talking about exceptions to religious freedom. That doesn’t impact governors’ authority to declare an emergency with a great deal of latitude. That is a long established legal precedent. Heck, even mayors wield a lot of authority during a state of emergency. Lexington had a nine o’clock curfew for a month.
If you review the judge’s temporary restraining order, a lot is made of the fact that Cooper was allowing ten people for church gatherings but fifty for funerals. The judge found that inconsistent. If he had allowed fifty (or 10) for both, might have been a different result.

We’ll know more about Phase 2 by Friday. Then each school system and the NCHSAA will decide how that impacts athletics and sporting events. Watched an interview with the chairman of the Federal Reserve (a Republican appointed by Trump). His comment was that the last activities that would take place were theaters, concerts and athletics with fans in the stands. We’ll see how all of that affects high school sports. We also will know more about the chance of a second wave sometime in June or July around three weeks after states reopen. The more gradual the reopening, the less chance of another spike.

Reactions: PBBear51
The judge was talking about exceptions to religious freedom. That doesn’t impact governors’ authority to declare an emergency with a great deal of latitude. That is a long established legal precedent. Heck, even mayors wield a lot of authority during a state of emergency. Lexington had a nine o’clock curfew for a month.
If you review the judge’s temporary restraining order, a lot is made of the fact that Cooper was allowing ten people for church gatherings but fifty for funerals. The judge found that inconsistent. If he had allowed fifty (or 10) for both, might have been a different result.

We’ll know more about Phase 2 by Friday. Then each school system and the NCHSAA will decide how that impacts athletics and sporting events. Watched an interview with the chairman of the Federal Reserve (a Republican appointed by Trump). His comment was that the last activities that would take place were theaters, concerts and athletics with fans in the stands. We’ll see how all of that affects high school sports. We also will know more about the chance of a second wave sometime in June or July around three weeks after states reopen. The more gradual the reopening, the less chance of another spike.

Well, OC I only hope federal judges continue to uphold the constitutional protections against religious freedom infringements from state or local leaders who think their power exceeds the constitution. And so far its about 6-0 in favor of the constitution nationwide so far.

But on another matter you might find interesting, your school system is getting a new Asst. Superintendent that I believe you will be absolutely thrilled with. He will be a strong supporter of Thomasville athletics and provide a class example of leadership to everyone.

Well, OC I only hope federal judges continue to uphold the constitutional protections against religious freedom infringements from state or local leaders who think their power exceeds the constitution. And so far its about 6-0 in favor of the constitution nationwide so far.

But on another matter you might find interesting, your school system is getting a new Asst. Superintendent that I believe you will be absolutely thrilled with. He will be a strong supporter of Thomasville athletics and provide a class example of leadership to everyone.
Great! Actually met with the superintendent and some school board members (online) today, but on a different subject. We need a good assistant, especially in such a small system. The last couple haven’t added much. Look forward to meeting him.

Does anyone know of a church in N.C that has services inside Sunday?I don't know of any around here .Think most are taking a wait and see attitude.

Does anyone know of a church in N.C that has services inside Sunday?I don't know of any around here .Think most are taking a wait and see attitude.
Most Methodist churches are following the Bishop’s guidelines and remaining closed for now. Our church provides Facebook live services and a separate radio program. One is live and the other is an archived service from previous years. It’s been kinda nice, though I would prefer live services when the time is right. No pushback from anyone in our congregation. We have a lot of older folks.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Most Methodist churches are following the Bishop’s guidelines and remaining closed for now. Our church provides Facebook live services and a separate radio program. One is live and the other is an archived service from previous years. It’s been kinda nice, though I would prefer live services when the time is right. No pushback from anyone in our congregation. We have a lot of older folks.
Our Methodist church in Reidsville is having parking lot 11 am services that are on facebook. We too have many older folks (like me!) and the virus is pretty dangerous to us, particularly to those with other medical issues.

There have been 2 deaths in Reidsville from the virus. Currently we have 13 cases in Reidsville and surrounding areas in 27320 zip code (about 38,000 people).
Not many infections at all, unless you are one of those infected or family or friends of the two deceased.

I noticed people eating inside at one of the Reidsville fast food places today.

Our Methodist church in Reidsville is having parking lot 11 am services that are on facebook. We too have many older folks (like me!) and the virus is pretty dangerous to us, particularly to those with other medical issues.

There have been 2 deaths in Reidsville from the virus. Currently we have 13 cases in Reidsville and surrounding areas in 27320 zip code (about 38,000 people).
Not many infections at all, unless you are one of those infected or family or friends of the two deceased.

I noticed people eating inside at one of the Reidsville fast food places today.
Were they eating, , or picking up takeout? One is allowed, the other isn’t.

They were sitting down eating. Hope the Lockdown Gestapo didn't round them up.:(
After just watching a simulation of the way people can spread these germs at a dining table, the cops may be the least of their worries.

I just don't think it is the responsibility of government to protect people from their own stupidity.
If the stupid person is the only one to suffer the consequences, I might agree. But when they take it and spread it to others, including maybe you and me, that’s the game changer. Especially if they are an asymptomatic carrier. Then it becomes society’s problem.

If the stupid person is the only one to suffer the consequences, I might agree. But when they take it and spread it to others, including maybe you and me, that’s the game changer. Especially if they are an asymptomatic carrier. Then it becomes society’s problem.

Yea I agree. My dad is 86 and has weakened lungs. We are doing our best to keep this away from him. I needed some supplies to repair my horse staple from a over anxious Stallion I have and I went to Lowes in New Bern. The parking lot was full. People everywhere. 5 apartments flagged with covid 19 with 30 infected people just a block away. I decided the heck with that and went to Pamlico county to the ace hardware to get what I needed. Only 1 active covid case in Pamlico county. I do think some people are going to get their feelings hurt later this week. I don't think phase 2 will be a go.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Yea I agree. My dad is 86 and has weakened lungs. We are doing our best to keep this away from him. I needed some supplies to repair my horse staple from a over anxious Stallion I have and I went to Lowes in New Bern. The parking lot was full. People everywhere. 5 apartments flagged with covid 19 with 30 infected people just a block away. I decided the heck with that and went to Pamlico county to the ace hardware to get what I needed. Only 1 active covid case in Pamlico county. I do think some people are going to get their feelings hurt later this week. I don't think phase 2 will be a go.
I think Phase 2 will start Friday at 5. But I’ve seen the requirements (and the recommendations) for restaurants. For many restaurants, meeting both the 50% capacity and the six foot rule will be very difficult. You must do both, not one or the other. So, if I’m a restaurant owner and the configuration of the room really means opening at twenty-five percent instead of fifty percent, I may be better off just doing takeout and bringing in a lot less employees.
Once again, I choose not to sit down at a restaurant, visit a crowded store, attend regular church services or go to a ball game until I feel comfortable, which might be several months. But there will be many people who think they have a right to do whatever they want, even if it affects others. I sincerely hope they don’t regret it. And I also hope that I’m being too cautious. But since you can’t prove a negative, we’ll never know.

Reactions: Otis4411
I think Phase 2 will start Friday at 5. But I’ve seen the requirements (and the recommendations) for restaurants. For many restaurants, meeting both the 50% capacity and the six foot rule will be very difficult. You must do both, not one or the other. So, if I’m a restaurant owner and the configuration of the room really means opening at twenty-five percent instead of fifty percent, I may be better off just doing takeout and bringing in a lot less employees.
Once again, I choose not to sit down at a restaurant, visit a crowded store, attend regular church services or go to a ball game until I feel comfortable, which might be several months. But there will be many people who think they have a right to do whatever they want, even if it affects others. I sincerely hope they don’t regret it. And I also hope that I’m being too cautious. But since you can’t prove a negative, we’ll never know.
NO. You are not being too cautious. And do not fear. There will be school and football this year.

There is no substitute for individual human judgement. The best intentions of government, whether federal, state, or local are no substitute for just plain old common horse sense.

Us old dudes need to be very cautions. Youngsters not so much. That's just life. When we are young, we think we are bulletproof. As we get older, we realize that there are dangers lurking all around us. How we survived this long is the real mystery of life.

Exactly

well said my friend

Dang it..... now you are going to have people coming to the County instead of Lowe’s.

Take this for FIW but I was told Sunday by someone who should know that a cure for COVID-19 is expected to be available before October. A cure, not a vaccine. The cure is a treatment for those already infected as compared to a vaccine which is intended to protect those who are not infected.

The reason I take this seriously is because these people have invested $millions in their beliefs. And they stand to possibly realize $billions.

Take this for FIW but I was told Sunday by someone who should know that a cure for COVID-19 is expected to be available before October. A cure, not a vaccine. The cure is a treatment for those already infected as compared to a vaccine which is intended to protect those who are not infected.

The reason I take this seriously is because these people have invested $millions in their beliefs. And they stand to possibly realize $billions.
I hope this is correct for more then just the return of high school football and sports in general... It would be great news

Mule, I hope they didn’t talk you into buying stock.

Thanks for the investment advice.

I did lots of buying two months ago when the market tanked.;)
My investments aren’t that great either. Mine tanked long before the pandemic. So, I don’t claim to have any financial expertise. But, in all seriousness, it amazes me the number of folks who are buying into the latest, greatest investment craze related to the disease. They all heard it somewhere. And it sure sounded good.

Looks to me like the more pain the politicions can put on the public the more power hungry they get .I'm wondering if there is a line that can be crossed that the citizens of this country will then say enough is enough. If not where heading to a place we don't want to be. I'm way past the point of this nonsense

this is the greatest farce of our time. They’re violating the constitution in order to protect us? The constitution is there to protect us. This is a virus it’ll have to run it’s course just like the common flu. We had over 100 k people die of the Hong Kong flu. We had 675k people die of Spanish flu. There’s a worse thing to lose than your life, it’s called freedom. This is setting our country up to accept the Antichrist because he will be protecting and saving us from all the calamity’s of life. This isn’t unlike the policies hitler used to control Germany. Does anyone else think it’s odd as soon as impeachment failed the coronavirus hit?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT