ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Shelby 17-7 winners over Reidsville

rambbq

Nov 13, 2002
Reidsville, NC
Golden Lions stuffed the Rams at every turn.....Reidsville D played great but Shelby's was even better...George (QB from Shelby) made several big throws to get the ball moving...Ram D did OK on Shelby's ground game but had no answer for the timely pass completions.... Special mention about Jayron Rankin (#32 for Reidsville)....He was terrific on D with numerous tackles and 2 interceptions...one of those on a fake FG attempt that he returned for a TD.......Win it all Shelby...it would make us feel a little better....lol..........

Thanks rambbq! Two great NC high school football programs playing the Friday after Thanksgiving...the way it should be.

This post was edited on 11/28 10:28 PM by Golden_Lion_007

Originally posted by Golden_Lion_007:
Thanks rambbq! Two great NC high school football programs playing the Friday after Thanksgiving...the way it should be.

This post was edited on 11/28 10:28 PM by Golden_Lion_007
Yes, sirrrr!

WOW!

What an impressive defensive performance by the Golden Lions.

I would not be surprised if the Rams had more yards in penalties than they had in total offense.

Some strange play calling by Reidsville (sneaking on own 30 yd line when its 4th and 11) but I guess the pressure Shelby was putting on the Rams offense made for some desperate calls.

The final margin was 10 points but that score does not reflect the total domination by Shelby.

Great job, Golden Lions.

See you guys next year.

Two storied programs battled tonight....left it all on field,,,,congratulations to the Rams on a great season....I hope we can keep this defensive momentum going .....great game

Nicely done Lions! way to represent! lets keep on rolling! Crest and Shelby baby!! Cleveland County football!!!

Oh Lord. Reidsville you are going to have to here 98 all week long.

Great season Reidsville. To hold Shelby to 17 is impressive.

Shelby has a great team once again. Could we see another match up with SWO in the future?

Was that a defensive team or a stone wall the Rams were trying to run against? Outstanding defensive effort by both teams. A good team is packing up the equipment and a better one is rewarded with a home game for the regional finals. I don't expect it to be a very pleasant trip for Mount Pleasant next Friday if Shelby D continues to play like that.

congrats Shelby. just a better team. no excuses. hats off to that D. good as advertised. and, special tip of the old helmut to jayron rankin. that was your last high school game and it will be remembered by everyone that saw it. you are a special young man and i'm proud to know you and your family. and, a big thank you to a solid senior class. you gave us some thrills. proud of all of you.

Shelby defense is as good as advertised as I said before. That fake punt was weird, reminds of that bad fake punt call against Northwest Guilford.

Shelby took away our run game made us pass. Another difference in the game was shelby's DB was great at coverage and open field tackling

On that fake punt, I'm thinking the player lost track of the yard marker. Don't know for sure but that's the only explanation I can come up with, thinking the back yard marker was the line to gain.

Reidsville being limited to 7 first downs is pretty amazing and 2 of those were on penalties.
Shelby limited Rams to 2.4 yards per rush and 112 total yards for a team averaging 269 yards rushing and 136 passing per game in the first 13 outings.

Golden Lions had 167 rushing and 165 passing (pretty balanced, I'd say).

Refs also showed up on the stats chart pretty big --- 110 walked off against Shelby, 100 against Reidsville. Those guys didn't miss many chances to flag 'em and huddled up more than the teams.

This post was edited on 11/28 11:37 PM by TGT

Originally posted by Stanimallector:
Shelby took away our run game made us pass. Another difference in the game was shelby's DB was great at coverage and open field tackling
Exactly Stan … and we couldn't put the clamps on George. Had him running around in the pocket a few times but he was very elusive. His first TD on 4th down from the 1-yard line was huge because Reidsville defense appeared to have him stopped before he somehow slipped away with great second effort and got a pretty good push from a teammate.

Hey Stan! Isn't rankin your son? I remember either him or maybe hammock? Either way outstanding ball player bro.....he was an absolute beast out there tonight,,,,,,I listening to radio and I swear his name was called every single play.....hope he gets a chance to shine in college....

In addition to the two interceptions, Rankin had 12 tackles and broke up two passes.

Was there any thought of putting #15 in for Reidsville? I thought he would at least get a series to try. Shelby was the far superior team but let Reidsville hang around all night with some big defensive plays. Explain that 2nd Rankin INT please. How in the world did he do that?

Congrats to the Golden Lions. I know it's a game at a time but I wonder if there might be a chance to even things up with Clinton or a rematch from last year.

Originally posted by TGT:
In addition to the two interceptions, Rankin had 12 tackles and broke up two passes.
I know that Gardner Webb University, here in Cleveland County, has offered him.

Originally posted by runnin'qb13:
Was there any thought of putting #15 in for Reidsville? I thought he would at least get a series to try. Shelby was the far superior team but let Reidsville hang around all night with some big defensive plays. Explain that 2nd Rankin INT please. How in the world did he do that?
Yeah, No. 15 has shown some pretty good touch when he's gotten a chance this season and the Ram starting QB was having trouble getting in a groove against the Shelby pass rush and excellent secondary.

Rankin said after the game that the ball was being bobbled around and he just grabbed it and took off.

He also said he's been offered by G-W but is waiting to see what else is out there. He might be undersized a little as a linebacker (6-0, 205) but he's one heck of a football player.

The million dollar question is why do you run a fake punt qb sneak on 4th and 11 with a sort of slow footed qb? TGT, Please tell me u asked that question?

It wasn't a called play. The player had the yard-to-gain confused, thinking it was 4th and 1 instead of 4th and 11 … only explanation I could guess. The run gained 4 yards.

This post was edited on 11/28 11:54 PM by TGT

First off congrats to Shelby!! Good game played by both defenses. Shelby ended game on td drive following pick 6 and took momentum back for good. Mark of a good team. only shot is if Jayron ran the 2nd pick back. Other than that we had no chance of scoring. We only played 3 good teams this year, went 0-3 and bad qb play in all 3. That was bad offense, very bad. We'll never understand fake punt that's coaching. Big shout out #32 great game, great career, even greater young man way to go out. Also big ups to senior class!!! Still a lot talent on the shelves we will be in mix again next season. Go Rams!!!

Shelby Lion yes Jayron Rankin is my son. Super proud of him. But im even more proud of his character and the way he conduct himself on and off the field.

This post was edited on 11/29 12:11 AM by Stanimallector

Sure wish we could hear from RamKing2012. Seems he has left the boards. I would to if I had to say my team has not scored an offensive td on Shelby in 2 years. Maybe next year yall can come down to Shelby and we will do it all over again.

We will still bet top 5 or 10 next year, still not sure if we can get over the shelby hump next year either.

Sounds like Cleveland County put on a defensive clinic last night. Congrats to the Golden Lions on a great win.

Originally posted by TGT:
It wasn't a called play. The player had the yard-to-gain confused, thinking it was 4th and 1 instead of 4th and 11 … only explanation I could guess. The run gained 4 yards.

This post was edited on 11/28 11:54 PM by TGT
Sorry TGT but it was a called play. This one was not on the player. Check it out

Congrats Shelby your line play on both sides of the ball was superior and your defensive backs totally shut down our receivers..,your QB reminded me of Rothleisberger not fast but shifty in the pocket with big plays...great game plan no excuses ...congrats on the win...your running back was nice as well...no excuses well done

Shelby radio guys were talking about the late interception. Said the receiver from Shelby was on his back and held the ball in the air to show he had caught it. And that the Reidsville player took the ball and ran it back deep into Shelby territory.

So, did the ball bounce, was it a clean reception, was it an interception as called, or was it like the radio guys noted?

What happened on that play from those who saw it?

Guy was on his back still trying to gain control of live ball. Rankin just plucked bobbling ball from grasp of receiver.

Hats off to two very good defenses. Shelby QB made some plays with feet and arms when the pressure was on, Reidsville QB did not. Every recent championship team for Reidsville had outstanding QB.

I feel sorry for Mt Pleasant,their offense is solely a run offense and that plays right into the hands of Shelby....I agree GDG,predicted a rematch with SWO after last years game and it looks like it might come true...good luck next week Shelby,I will be going to the East Lincoln game but hope someone updates the score so I can keep track...

Jackson should have gotten at shot at QB. #10 thinks to much and don't make decisions quickly, and holds on to the ball to long. Might not have made a difference, but would have given him a chance. Shelby had a great defense, and should go on to win the Championship. Hate that Rankin and the rest of the seniors never got a ring.

#10 never showed me anything all season vs good comp knew he would be our downfall esp vs a team that can play defense

It sounds like you had the same officiating crew that worked the Graham-Cummings game a month or so ago. They threw 26 flags for a total of 375 yards penalties. I'm almost certain a coulpe of them had to ride the ambulance to Alamance Regional Hospital to have surgery on their rotator cuffs for all the flag throwing they did!

Originally posted by Stanimallector:
Shelby Lion yes Jayron Rankin is my son. Super proud of him. But im even more proud of his character and the way he conduct himself on and off the field.

This post was edited on 11/29 12:11 AM by Stanimallector

Your son was amazing. Congratulated him after the game for being so impressive. You have one great athlete and he tried to put that team on his back. Best of luck to his future!

Originally posted by TheMule:

The final margin was 10 points but that score does not reflect the total domination by Shelby.
Write it down or take a picture again.....we agree on something. The score should have been about 35-0. We shot ourselves in the foot so many times. Dropped balls, false starts, fumbling on Reidsville's 5 and we gave you your points. Really have to question why we didn't just attempt the field goal...that could have been a huge shift in momentum. A miss would have given you the ball on the 20. We were talking about how we wanted to shut out your offense and not even give up a field goal like we did last year and we did but our QB threw a td pass to the wrong team. As LA said, it has to suck to have this "high powered" offense that has not scored a TD on Shelby in 96 minutes of football. Oh well....as I mentioned, you guys must cringe when the brackets come out and see that your road to the championship could involve Shelby.

Well if you are on another 30 year drought from championship play, you're 1/6 of the way through it. ;)

Originally posted by RammanuelKant:
Guy was on his back still trying to gain control of live ball. Rankin just plucked bobbling ball from grasp of receiver.

Hats off to two very good defenses. Shelby QB made some plays with feet and arms when the pressure was on, Reidsville QB did not. Every recent championship team for Reidsville had outstanding QB.
"Recent"?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT