ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches?

ERcoach

Jan 9, 2007
Who are the coaches outside of your favorite school you have been impressed by?

Derrick Minor - East Burke
Coach Byrd/Jonathan Grice - Hopewell *Note: Grice is now at MC
Hellams - SC
Josh Brooks - Franklin
Joe Glass - Hickory
Brandy Gentry - West Cabarrus
Jonathan Oliphant / Sean Fitzgerald - Lake Norman
Rydell Cowan - South Iredell
Butch Carter - Alexander Central
Robert Washington- Mt Island Charter
Every Member of Vance (Julius Chambers) staff
Coach Wilson - Hickory Ridge
Sam Griener - West Charlotte
Coach Billups - Free Agent
Kenneth McClamrock - Not coaching at moment

All these coaches I named are some of the best people I have ever met, I understand some may disagree but all these I know and I respect, There are many many great talent coach on the rise and some that are Un-Notice or whatever but These men I named , I would trust with my life and kids or anything because they are all family men and they care about their kids and students and etc

Last edited:
Derrick Minor - East Burke
Coach Byrd/Jonathan Grice - Hopewell *Note: Grice is now at MC
Hellams - SC
Josh Brooks - Franklin
Joe Glass - Hickory
Brandy Gentry - West Cabarrus
Jonathan Oliphant / Sean Fitzgerald - Lake Norman
Rydell Cowan - South Iredell
Butch Carter - Alexander Central
Robert Washington- Mt Island Charter
Every Member of Vance (Julius Chambers) staff
Coach Wilson - Hickory Ridge
Sam Griener - West Charlotte
Coach Billups - Free Agent
Kenneth McClamrock - Not coaching at moment

All these coaches I named are some of the best people I have ever met, I understand some may disagree but all these I know and I respect, There are many many great talent coach on the rise and some that are Un-Notice or whatever but These men I named , I would trust with my life and kids or anything because they are all family men and they care about their kids and students and etc
I thought for sure you would have the Mooresville coach on that list.

Reactions: UNC91
I will add one more. Even though he is coaching down at Dutch Fork in South Carolina. Would be hard not to add Tom Knotts on the list.

I haven't seen Brian Hales name on the list. After having the unenviable task of following Mike Newsome and two state championships, he has maintained the excellence at Butler. While they haven't won state again, they have remained extremely relevant with consistent win seasons and deep playoff runs almost every year.
I will also put Sam Griener at West Charlotte on that list. What he did at Harding was nothing short of a miracle. If he can return West Charlotte to its glory days, he will cement his legacy among NC coaches.

I haven't seen Brian Hales name on the list. After having the unenviable task of following Mike Newsome and two state championships, he has maintained the excellence at Butler. While they haven't won state again, they have remained extremely relevant with consistent win seasons and deep playoff runs almost every year.
I will also put Sam Griener at West Charlotte on that list. What he did at Harding was nothing short of a miracle. If he can return West Charlotte to its glory days, he will cement his legacy among NC coaches.
Think Hales was HC in 2012 when they won it.

If Hales was a coach in the 336 and called that fake punt against a 704 school he would be crucified on this site. One of the worst calls I've ever seen in a Championship Game

Hales has 2 state championships as OC at Butler in 2009 and 2010. He also has a state title in 2012 as a HC and actually won National Coach of the year and the team finished top 5 in the country on most of the national polls out at the time. Easily top 2 HC in CMS in my opinion and hasn’t always had the same talent level as his competitors but he still gets the job done. Starting last season seems like talent is starting to shift towards Butler again similar to 2006-2016 so things may get interesting for him

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
Hales has 2 state championships as OC at Butler in 2009 and 2010. He also has a state title in 2012 as a HC and actually won National Coach of the year and the team finished top 5 in the country on most of the national polls out at the time. Easily top 2 HC in CMS in my opinion and hasn’t always had the same talent level as his competitors but he still gets the job done. Starting last season seems like talent is starting to shift towards Butler again similar to 2006-2016 so things may get interesting for him
Butler has almost always had better talent than their opponent. Independence when they were good and some of the Mallard Creek teams would be the only exceptions.

Butler has almost always had better talent than their opponent. Independence when they were good and some of the Mallard Creek teams would be the only exceptions.

Some of the talent has gone down along with the numbers around five years ago. Hopefully the talent shifts towards Butler again.

There's a bunch. Here's a few whose teams I've thoroughly enjoyed watching over the years......

Earl Bates
Doug Robertson
Shane Handy
Todd Willert
Steven Davis
Martin Samek
Hal Capps
John Kirby
Jeff Snuffer
Kennedy Tinsley
Dr. Steven Wright
Jimmy Teague