ADVERTISEMENT

Coach stacks first win

Congratulations Coach Stack! I'm just so proud to see the students, fans and community with passion again! Last night was a great atmosphere in Tiger town. Can't wait to see this team progress. Hopefully we can stay healthy and get some injured kids back soon.

Very proud to be a TIGER! The players came out intense and focused! Great playing on both sides of the ball!
It has been years since we have seen so much community and student support. Love hearing the stadium rocking!

Reactions: Rhinos87
Very proud to be a TIGER! The players came out intense and focused! Great playing on both sides of the ball!
It has been years since we have seen so much community and student support. Love hearing the stadium rocking!
Took the words right out of my mouth. What support.

Reactions: Rhinos87
We have played a tough non conference. I can't decide is it good or bad. It's good because it shows what your team needs to work on. But bad because you always come away with injury's. I haven't decided if the good outways the bad. I think this same thing happened to the Knight's year after title win. Maybe some teams are smart not playing hard non-conference games. What's everyone opinion on this. Would you rather play soft or hard non conference schedule?

Last edited:
Honestly I think this year was a good preseason schedule with the exception of Heritage. I would like to see us drop them and replace with another small school, maybe private. I'm not a big fan of the gimme games but they give confidence to the starters and playing time for the others.
As for the other games, we were "in" on every one of them. Everyone was still learning and finding their mojo.

Honestly I think this year was a good preseason schedule with the exception of Heritage. I would like to see us drop them and replace with another small school, maybe private. I'm not a big fan of the gimme games but they give confidence to the starters and playing time for the others.
As for the other games, we were "in" on every one of them. Everyone was still learning and finding their mojo.
I honestly can't decide. I sit and look at some teams that played a very weak non conference and they are 4-0 or 4-1, is that better confidence booster for the kids or like BK said are schedule will help come playoff time. I personally like a hard/ medium schedule up until this year. But with how playoff system has been changed makes you think.

Rabun Gap would be a good game for the Tigers to pick up instead of MH. Rabun will have a good team most years with some size and speed. Don't know how long a drive that would be though.

Reactions: cougars45
The Rosman Heritage game will be much closer next year if played, but if they do play another game instead I'd like to see them play TJA instead, these two use to play a few years back and Rutherford county is a bit closer to Rosman than Yancey, this one would be another tough one for Rosman but still a winnable game and beating a team that's had 3 consecutive 10 wins season would really help boost rosmans team moral, it would still be weird not having Rosman on the schedule after what? 20 some years??? Lol

Last edited:
Iron sharpens iron. I was coaching a team that lost every non conference game and then ran the table in our conference and lost in the 3rd round to Todd Gurley's Tarboro team. (he is still the best back I've seen in high school). However, as a 1a school depth and injuries are always a concern. I do however, think that with a year an a half in Stack's weight room injuries will be less than normal. I realize that they are part of the game but, when you are bigger, stronger, and faster you are often the injurier not the injuried. I always like the half an half non conference schedule. 1st game cup cake then two tough games then cup cake to finish the non conference as to heal up for the title run.....good luck boys....

Iron sharpens iron. I was coaching a team that lost every non conference game and then ran the table in our conference and lost in the 3rd round to Todd Gurley's Tarboro team. (he is still the best back I've seen in high school). However, as a 1a school depth and injuries are always a concern. I do however, think that with a year an a half in Stack's weight room injuries will be less than normal. I realize that they are part of the game but, when you are bigger, stronger, and faster you are often the injurier not the injuried. I always like the half an half non conference schedule. 1st game cup cake then two tough games then cup cake to finish the non conference as to heal up for the title run.....good luck boys....

Have to agree!..There is a lot of tradition that would be lost if we stop scheduling Madison,or Mountain Heritage because we have played against schools from both Madison and Yancey County since Football began in Rosman back in 1959, and we need to play Brevard every season as well because it's a money maker for both local schools...Not to mention, our youth league plays against Brevard, so our Varsity team should as well...Brevard is not the Bully on the block as they were back when I played when the Bluedevils had 500 or more kids in school than they do now....Teams run in cycles, and I agree that more conditioning and strength will certainly help in the future...It's also true that there are teams nowadays that are rewarded in the end for playing weaker non-conference opponents because they can pad their record which gives them a better shot as a Wildcard for the playoffs....However, the SMC style of football has not, and will not change, so would you rather beat up on lesser non-conference opponents, or would you rather play against better competition to prepare you for what you will see in the SMC....I personally would rather play better opponents, and as a Tiger fan, I want to see how they measure up against some of the bigger and better teams in the area....I know it's a tough call on a Coach's part since you would like your team to build some confidence before entering conference play, but like "Muchadoaboutnothin" stated above "Iron sharpens Iron", and a Coach will generally learn more about his team, and his team will learn more about themselves by playing against better competition even if the record doesn't reflect that...

I know this thread has gotten a little off track, so I too would like to offer my Congratulations to Coach Stack, his staff and the Tiger team on picking up that first important win of the season last week, and hope there are more to come.,,

Good luck to the Tigers in Andrews this friday in the SMC opener!

Roar Tigers Roar!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT