ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Holcomb to Bishop McGuinness

BlackKnightNut

May 13, 2007
It's official. I wonder if Oak Grove will elevate Rob Creason to head coach or go after a guy like Tripp Huneycutt.

• Wow
Reactions: fitguync30
I hate to see it. I thought he could continue to build OG up as time went on. It sounds like it was an offer he couldn't refuse, allowing him to collect his public school pension and earn a salary coaching football at the same time.

Honeycutt to OG works for me. I would hate it for South Davidson, but his ties are to the northern part of the county.

I'm hearing it will be Creason's job if he wants it, and I'm good with that, too.

Last edited:
I hate to see it. I thought he could continue to build OG up as time went on. It sounds like it was an offer he couldn't refuse, allowing him to collect his public school pension and earn a salary coaching football at the same time.

Honeycutt to OG works for me. I would hate it for South Davidson, but his ties are to the northern part of the county.

I'm hearing it will be Creason's job if he wants it, an I'm good with that, too.
SD was 4-6 and beat four teams with a combined record of 4-38. Would not blame him for leaving SD as fast as he can though. Creason is a good candidate, but there are some really good veteran coaches from the area and state that may apply.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
SD was 4-6 and beat four teams with a combined record of 4-38. Would not blame him for leaving SD as fast as he can though. Creason is a good candidate, but there are some really good veteran coaches from the area and state that may apply.
You're right. South will always struggle to be .500. They've only done it a couple of times in school history. However, its not a crime to have a team that just won't ever be a champion. Playing sports of any kind is beneficial to every kid. Even the kids who didn't have a winning experience. I hope South can continue to field a team for years to come. Heck, I even hope that they'll have a winning season some day (best they've ever done was 6-6, twice).

You're right. South will always struggle to be .500. They've only done it a couple of times in school history. However, its not a crime to have a team that just won't ever be a champion. Playing sports of any kind is beneficial to every kid. Even the kids who didn't have a winning experience. I hope South can continue to field a team for years to come. Heck, I even hope that they'll have a winning season some day (best they've ever done was 6-6, twice).
Nice to hear some people still see the value of HS sports alone, not just the W/L ratio. Holcomb is now going to finally get paid. Had to retire from NC to do so because this state doesn't care about teachers/coaches. Sucks.

I’m saddened by the news. I was(am) a HUGE Holcolmb fan! I was hoping he’d stay for a bit longer even if just as a coach. I am happy that my son got the chance to play under him and will ALWAYS be grateful for the way he helped mold my son to the player he was and the man he has become. Myself and my family will forever be grateful.
I believe OG has some talent to do well over the next few years but not sure if the choice of coaches will be of the caliber, but I am hopeful. Coach Holcolmb I wish the best of luck and look forward to seeing what you do with the next program.

Coach Holcomb was/is an amazing coach and was the guy I gave my first playbook to when I was still in HS. BM is getting a good one. I wonder how this will impact OG. They were on a solid trajectory program-wise. They still have the fertile Midway/Wallburg areas so it's just a matter of getting the right guy/guys together as far as coaching chemistry. See ND 2006-2007 seasons to get what I'm talking about... good luck to Coach Holcomb and the two schools involved moving forward.

Great hire for BM. I wonder about the vacancy at OG. To me, Creason is the most logical choice. Honeycutt came from ND. He would be a good fit there when or if it was open. He sure seemed to have folks excited at SD last year and may be just about to turn that program into a consistent winner with the new classifications the state is pushing.

Great Technician, cares for the kids, understands the game as well as anyone, knows limits and expectations of each of his players, and does a great job of creating and establishing culture
Did he leave for more money? He did a great job at OG for sure.

Is he making this move purely for money? If so, I guess it makes some sense. But Bishop looks like it has scant football facilities and I would not think the athletes are there that Holcomb had at ND and OG. Bishop has never really done anything in football. A shame to see this. Looked like Holcomb was building something at OG and he started from scratch there.

Gonna double dip. Draw NC retirement and full pay as teacher coach at BM. He'll join the 6 figure club. Because he is a good coach and good person he'll also have the players in time to become a powerhouse in 1A. BM football will start to look like BM girls bball. They've hit a homerun.

Congrats Mark. You deserve it.

Gonna double dip. Draw NC retirement and full pay as teacher coach at BM. He'll join the 6 figure club. Because he is a good coach and good person he'll also have the players in time to become a powerhouse in 1A. BM football will start to look like BM girls bball. They've hit a homerun.

Congrats Mark. You deserve it.
Agreed! I really like my job right now. But if you tell me that next semester I can go to another school doing mostly the same exact thing.. BUT with an easier teaching load and making 30-40K+ more??? Yeah... I'm going. Most everyone here would too. This is an excellent opportunity. I wish him and Bishop the very best of luck!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT