ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Glass leaving Lincolnton for Hickory

Lincolnton

Nov 19, 2002
According to the Hobbs Report, Coach Glass, is leaving Lincolnton to become head coach at Hickory. If this is correct, all the best to Coach Glass and his family, and thank you for your efforts, here.

Bad timing and I like Joe Glass but like someone stated he has moved around a lot so I’m curious if he stay long term at hickory esp since it will be a rebuilding process and he will need at least 2 years to get it back on track

I wish him the best of luck and am rooting for him at Hickory! He is a good coach and guy!

Thanks, fellers. The past four seasons have been tough, but it's happened (stretches of bad seasons) twice before, and we'll have to work through it, like some confounded graphing problem... Coach Glass was only our fifth coach in the last sixty-some years.

Sammy, mentioned coach Briggs. He was a defensive coach, here. We sure haven't forgotten him.
Lincolnton won the (combined) 2A title with him in 93, against a high powered Burlington Cummings offense, in which our defense played a big part. I always heard our defensive strategy in that game was developed by him from his watching a game between Cummings and Clinton.

I've also heard another name, too, a local guy, but I don't know if he would take it. If there's interest from a prospective coach, from out of town, at the risk of sounding partial, Lincolnton is a pretty good place to live and work. It's not your typical small town, it's, well, different; someone would probably have to live here and know its history to understand that, (you East, West and North Lincoln sorts can hold your comments, smart @$$es), forgive me Sportsnut, I'm a little aggravated, today.
Anyway, we'll get it figured out. Thanks again, guys.

Last edited:
Thanks, fellers. The past four seasons have been tough, but it's happened twice before, and we'll have to work through it, like some confounded graphing problem. Coach Glass was only our fifth coach in the last sixty-some years.

Sammy, mentioned coach Briggs. He was a defensive coach, here. We sure haven't forgotten him.
Lincolnton won the (combined) 2A title with him in 93, against a high powered Burlington Cummings offense, in which our defense played a big part. I always heard our defensive strategy in that game was developed by him from his watching a game between Cummings and Clinton.

I've also heard another name, too, a local guy, but I don't know if he would take it. If there's interest from a prospective coach, from out of town, at the risk of sounding partial, Lincolnton is a pretty good place to live and work. It's not your typical small town, it's, well, different; someone would probably have to live here and know its history to understand that (you East, West and North Lincoln sorts can hold your comments, smart @$$es), forgive me Sportsnut, I'm a little aggravated, today.
Anyway, well get it figured out. Thanks again, guys.
I’m loving that!😂😂😂

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Thank you, my friend. If I can furnish you with a smile, today, I ought to feel like ole Sydney Carton, when he said "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done"...

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Thanks, fellers. The past four seasons have been tough, but it's happened (stretches of bad seasons) twice before, and we'll have to work through it, like some confounded graphing problem... Coach Glass was only our fifth coach in the last sixty-some years.

I've also heard another name, too, a local guy, but I don't know if he would take it. If there's interest from a prospective coach, from out of town, at the risk of sounding partial, Lincolnton is a pretty good place to live and work. It's not your typical small town, it's, well, different; someone would probably have to live here and know its history to understand that (you East, West and North Lincoln sorts can hold your comments, smart @$$es), forgive me Sportsnut, I'm a little aggravated, today.
+1 Good post sir

Thank you, my friend. If I can furnish you with a smile, today, I ought to feel like ole Sidney Carton, when he said "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done"...
You’re rolling now!😂 hoping your day goes better!

BlueDevil1996, I've seen the photo/avatar above your screen name but I was always using an iPhone and couldn't expand it enough to make out what it said. I looked at it, today, on a desktop screen and realized that it's a baseball trophy awarded to the 2019 4A champs, namely, the great Mooresville Blue Devils.
Just wanted to offer a belated hats off to you and the school.

Mr. Lincolnton sir, with all due respect you know you were the first Wolves supporter I thought of when I heard Glass had entered the interview process. I know you and I can't control where people work and how they get hired and fired, but I wish there was more loyalty in these situations. I'm certain Coach Glass will do well here in Hickory, because for one, he has some talent here to work with as Coach Stone did not leave the cupboard bare and he has some good talent coming in from both middle schools this fall.
I hate it for the kids that are left at Lincolnton. I'm sure they feel betrayed, no matter how we look at it or what you can tell them. I understand Coach Glass did some good things for them, the school and the program. But it's hard to see them not being hurt. I sure hope the storied program gets a good coach as quickly as they can to keep any momentum going for your Wolves.
Until we get together again to break some bread, and we need to see if Maiden Creek might come along, enjoy that retirement.

Mr. Lincolnton sir, with all due respect you know you were the first Wolves supporter I thought of when I heard Glass had entered the interview process. I know you and I can't control where people work and how they get hired and fired, but I wish there was more loyalty in these situations. I'm certain Coach Glass will do well here in Hickory, because for one, he has some talent here to work with as Coach Stone did not leave the cupboard bare and he has some good talent coming in from both middle schools this fall.
I hate it for the kids that are left at Lincolnton. I'm sure they feel betrayed, no matter how we look at it or what you can tell them. I understand Coach Glass did some good things for them, the school and the program. But it's hard to see them not being hurt. I sure hope the storied program gets a good coach as quickly as they can to keep any momentum going for your Wolves.
Until we get together again to break some bread, and we need to see if Maiden Creek might come along, enjoy that retirement.
Thank you, my friend, I appreciate your comments. Sometimes, things just doesn't work out, and coaches are no exception. All things considered, Coach Glass, obviously felt like Hickory was the better move. I wish him and the Red Tornadoes all the best.

As for the Wolves, we will be fine. Generally, Lincolnton people are nice, and they’re tough. We know how to handle setbacks and we also know how to recover from them.

Speaking of retirement, the man who trained me on the job that I retired from last year, after nearly twenty three years, was an East Lincoln alumnus. He had went through college on an athletic scholarship. In the late 1990's the Wolves had gone through a drought, similar to what you see now, and our coach was coming to the end of his career. This man, my mentor, said to me, "You can say goodbye to Lincolnton football, it's a baseball school, football isn't coming back". Being a good trainee, I acknowledged what he said, but thought to myself, "you don't know us"... Point is, Football has, as long as I can remember, been our most popular sport. It's allowed a very blue collar community the opportunity to identify with a winner. Our goal is to scratch our way back to winning and in the process, we'll find ourselves a coach.

Last edited:
Nothing better...than sharing great stories with good friends over broke bread!
I’m all in! Duck. Please keep me informed on when and where.

Best of luck to the Red Tornadoes and Coach Glass! All of us here in the Catawba Valley want to see Hickory do well!

I know the Wolves will land on their feet soon!...there’s just too much football tradition over there not to believe that! I’m hoping they find a great coach who can channel in on that history!....and motivate the kids, parents and community....then watch out!... the dreaded “Howling Wolf” will be echoing over the valley once again!
There’s absolutely no doubt!...over here in Maiden!.... the Lincolnton Wolves will be back!

Reactions: Lincolnton
Thank you, my friend, I appreciate your comments. Sometimes, things just doesn't work out, and coaches are no exception. All things considered, Coach Glass, obviously felt like Hickory was the better move. I wish him and the Red Tornadoes all the best.

As for the Wolves, we will be fine. Generally, Lincolnton people are nice, and they’re tough. We know how to handle setbacks and we also know how to recover from them.

Speaking of retirement, the man who trained me on the job that I retired from last year, after nearly twenty three years, was an East Lincoln alumnus. He had went through college on an athletic scholarship. In the late 1990's the Wolves had gone through a drought, similar to what you see now, and our coach was coming to the end of his career. This man, my mentor, said to me, "You can say goodbye to Lincolnton football, it's a baseball school, football isn't coming back". Being a good trainee, I acknowledged what he said, but thought to myself, "you don't know us"... Point is, Football has, as long as I can remember, been our most popular sport. It's allowed a very blue collar community the opportunity to identify with a winner. Our goal is to scratch our way back to winning and in the process, we'll find ourselves a coach.
...then bespoke brave Horatius...the Captain of the gate! To every man upon this earth...death cometh...soon or late! And how can man die better than facing fearful odds?...than for the ashes of his fathers and temples of his gods!

For you!...Mr. Lincolnton and those Wolves!

Reactions: Lincolnton
...then bespoke brave Horatius...the Captain of the gate! To every man upon this earth...death cometh...soon or late! And how can man die better than facing fearful odds?...than for the ashes of his fathers and temples of his gods!

For you!...Mr. Lincolnton and those Wolves!
Thank you, my friend. I'm humbled. I'll do my best to defend that bridge.:)

Nothing better...than sharing great stories with good friends over broke bread!
I’m all in! Duck. Please keep me informed on when and where.

Best of luck to the Red Tornadoes and Coach Glass! All of us here in the Catawba Valley want to see Hickory do well!

I know the Wolves will land on their feet soon!...there’s just too much football tradition over there not to believe that! I’m hoping they find a great coach who can channel in on that history!....and motivate the kids, parents and community....then watch out!... the dreaded “Howling Wolf” will be echoing over the valley once again!
There’s absolutely no doubt!...over here in Maiden!.... the Lincolnton Wolves will be back!
Will do! The Red Tornado parents and players had a good first meeting with Coach Glass last evening.

I've also heard another name, too, a local guy, but I don't know if he would take it. If there's interest from a prospective coach, from out of town, at the risk of sounding partial, Lincolnton is a pretty good place to live and work. It's not your typical small town, it's, well, different; someone would probably have to live here and know its history to understand that, (you East, West and North Lincoln sorts can hold your comments, smart @$$es), forgive me Sportsnut, I'm a little aggravated, today.
Doggone it. Dudgum it. Coach Glass was doing some good stuff! Then he was gone.
Dagnabbit. We were warned, I guess.

Still. I might do the same thing if I had it to do over again. Dude was a worker, and an efficient one. But dang. C'mon man...

Doggone it. Dudgum it. Coach Glass was doing some good stuff! Then he was gone.
Dagnabbit. We were warned, I guess.

Still. I might do the same thing if I had it to do over again. Dude was a worker, and an efficient one. But dang. C'mon man...
Well Lincolnton will bounce back. Surprised me they went outside the Lincolnton coaching tree to hire Glass. At the time , Glass was known to turn programs around. However, sometimes people move for financial reasons. Not sure about details behind his move. I was told by many that a former LHS QB and assistant coach was who many wanted. In my opinion, it comes down to the willies and Joe’s and not the X’s and O’s. As far as wins go, Gibson won more in his last season then Glass did in two seasons. Glass has been to Hickory before. He will do better there. Maybe Hickory will be a better fit

Has Glass ever produced a winning program? He keeps moving and moving but how does he get these jobs with a subpar record? Just curious.

Has Glass ever produced a winning program? He keeps moving and moving but how does he get these jobs with a subpar record? Just curious.
He had back to back conference championships at JM Robinson, with the last year going to the Semi finals where they played Catholic pretty close.

Coach Glass, came to Lincolnton after spending one year at Eastern Guilford, where he finished 10-3 and went a couple of rounds deep in the playoffs.

Dad of 23, Glass must be good with interviews. Of course, he has been on many apparently. Looks like he wins at big schools in urban areas like near Charlotte and Greensboro. The thing is he probably had a lot of athletes to play. Smaller schools like Lincolnton and Patton do not have many. Small schools share athletes. Often there are situations that coaches in bigger schools do not share athletes. For example, in the past Hickory had kids that quit playing football. They picked basketball. Anyway maybe Glass will stay at Hickory for more than 2 years . Of course, there will always be higher paying school systems. For example , the West Cabarrus Head Coaching position is open. WC is a better opportunity for success than Hickory. Rumor out of Lincoln county, some are saying they are glad to get rid of that pain in there Glass.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT