ADVERTISEMENT

Class 5A

FOOTBALLFANTIC

Nov 16, 2001
Any more news from the NCHSAA on the addition of a class 5A? What are everyone's thoughts about the possible addition? We already have 4AA, why not add 5A?

The schools have to vote to allow the realignment to be a different number of classes than the current four. Many think the votes are not there for the change.

The idea is that 1A and 5A would be the smallest and largest schools. 2A through 4A would be evenly divided per the three classes but have a larger amount of teams. Something like 1A and 4A have now but the percentages for the smallest and largest class would be smaller than now. The idea I have heard is the largest schools and smallest schools need to be segmented. Would think football would subdivide 2A through 4A and remain at eight champions.

The schools have to vote to allow the realignment to be a different number of classes than the current four. Many think the votes are not there for the change.

The idea is that 1A and 5A would be the smallest and largest schools. 2A through 4A would be evenly divided per the three classes but have a larger amount of teams. Something like 1A and 4A have now but the percentages for the smallest and largest class would be smaller than now. The idea I have heard is the largest schools and smallest schools need to be segmented. Would think football would subdivide 2A through 4A and remain at eight champions.
I just don't know why this is so difficult. Georgia is similar in population to NC and has 6 classes.

Reactions: DuplinCountyTiger
I just don't know why this is so difficult. Georgia is similar in population to NC and has 6 classes.

Numerous complaints from Georgia schools!

Georgia went to seven classifications a few years ago. 7A is all schools from metro Atlanta except for four schools in south central GA over to Brunswick. 6A is all Atlanta metro except for about a dozen schools that spread between Macon, Savannah, and south central part of the state. In 4A one school is isolated with the nearest fellow classification school being 55 miles distance. In 2A one school is 85 miles in one direction and 80 miles in the other direction to their nearest 2A opponent.

NC and Georgia are about the same in population and land mass although GA is divided into 159 counties.

SC had a couple of schools bring a lawsuit due to changes with their current alignment.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Numerous complaints from Georgia schools!

Georgia went to seven classifications a few years ago. 7A is all schools from metro Atlanta except for four schools in south central GA over to Brunswick. 6A is all Atlanta metro except for about a dozen schools that spread between Macon, Savannah, and south central part of the state. In 4A one school is isolated with the nearest fellow classification school being 55 miles distance. In 2A one school is 85 miles in one direction and 80 miles in the other direction to their nearest 2A opponent.

NC and Georgia are about the same in population and land mass although GA is divided into 159 counties.

SC had a couple of schools bring a lawsuit due to changes with their current alignment.
Ok, thanks for the info!!! I'm a Clinton fan, and I remember back in 2003-2012, the East Central Conference was Onslow, Lenoir, Duplin and Pender Counties, with Clinton being the lone Sampson County team. The closest school to Clinton was East Duplin, 35 miles away. It was hell during basketball season, traveling to Topsail or Northside on a Tuesday night LOL!

Reactions: Wizard of the East
Heck the Western Highlands Conference has Owen-Buncombe County
Mtn. Heritage-Yancey County
Mitchell-Mitchell County
Madison- Madison County
Avery-Avery County
Polk-Polk County

It's been this way forever heck at one time we had North Henderson, West Henderson, Brevard and Pisgah in the WHC too which is Henderson, Haywood and Transylvania counties. Yall dont know travel until you play in these Mountain conferences. Heck the SMC might be worse

Heck the Western Highlands Conference has Owen-Buncombe County
Mtn. Heritage-Yancey County
Mitchell-Mitchell County
Madison- Madison County
Avery-Avery County
Polk-Polk County

It's been this way forever heck at one time we had North Henderson, West Henderson, Brevard and Pisgah in the WHC too which is Henderson, Haywood and Transylvania counties. Yall dont know travel until you play in these Mountain conferences. Heck the SMC might be worse
Nah, I wouldn't want to travel those winding mountain roads all the time LOL!

I had a SMC coach tell me he did not like extended travel and did not want to play in a 1A/2A split conference as a 1A school. He laughed and said nothing is ever perfect.

Ok, thanks for the info!!! I'm a Clinton fan, and I remember back in 2003-2012, the East Central Conference was Onslow, Lenoir, Duplin and Pender Counties, with Clinton being the lone Sampson County team. The closest school to Clinton was East Duplin, 35 miles away. It was hell during basketball season, traveling to Topsail or Northside on a Tuesday night LOL!

My junior and senior year Topsail had not been added to the conference yet but i remember our longest trips were going to Croatan and Swansboro....nice lil ride on a activity bus

Reactions: FOOTBALLFANTIC
My junior and senior year Topsail had not been added to the conference yet but i remember our longest trips were going to Croatan and Swansboro....nice lil ride on a activity bus
Especially on a early weeknight! Trying to do homework on the bus ride down there. I don't know how Coach was when you was playing, but we took two buses, we were not allowed to talk. We had to either do homework or sleep on the way down. If we won, then we could cut up a little bit on the ride back. If we lost....SILENCE!! Made for an even longer bus ride LOL!

Especially on a early weeknight! Trying to do homework on the bus ride down there. I don't know how Coach was when you was playing, but we took two buses, we were not allowed to talk. We had to either do homework or sleep on the way down. If we won, then we could cut up a little bit on the ride back. If we lost....SILENCE!! Made for an even longer bus ride LOL!

Same pretty much especially if Coach Sawvel was driving the bus.......#'s 1-50 on one bus 51-88 on the other bus

Ah Coach Sawvel, say what you will about the man but he has forgot more about football than most of us will ever know. Great coach, great teacher, and one heck of a Play by Play announcer for basketball, his attention to detail was second to none.

Ah Coach Sawvel, say what you will about the man but he has forgot more about football than most of us will ever know. Great coach, great teacher, and one heck of a Play by Play announcer for basketball, his attention to detail was second to none.

My favorite coach hands down......after going thru practices with him made basic training seem like a walk in the park lol....GRASS DRILLS!!!!!! GET YOUR FEET MOVING!!!!!!

Oh, I love Coach Sawvel! He actually came to Clinton my freshman year, and I had his Civics class. He would straight cuss us out on the football field. I remember him throwing his clipboard on the ground, and yes, GRASS DRILLS!!!!! LOL!!

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Oh, I love Coach Sawvel! He actually came to Clinton my freshman year, and I had his Civics class. He would straight cuss us out on the football field. I remember him throwing his clipboard on the ground, and yes, GRASS DRILLS!!!!! LOL!!

I remember him throwing a chair off top of press box one game lol. He is a changed man now. Married, two beautiful daughters, having girls will change you. Favorite Sawvel quote/quotes:

“If I wanted a dumb answer, I’d go back to the middle school”
“JV’er”
“Run the clock Kurt”
“Hands, Hands” (In reference to not raising hands in class when asked a question)
“Always use a spotter” (shortly followed by watching him struggle through a squat with no spotter himself lol)

P.S. my Jr and Sr years at CHS our baseball team was really good and him and Coach Squibb came to every home game and would sit in lawn chairs down third base line and I even think I saw them grilling food one time on a small grill lol. He’s a cool dude.

I hear this is his last year as AD hopefully he'll still come to the games always good seeing him brings back alot of good and terrible memories lol.....those same grey shorts and flip flops

I hear this is his last year as AD hopefully he'll still come to the games always good seeing him brings back alot of good and terrible memories lol.....those same grey shorts and flip flops

He is officially retired. We have a different AD now.

I remember him throwing a chair off top of press box one game lol. He is a changed man now. Married, two beautiful daughters, having girls will change you. Favorite Sawvel quote/quotes:

“If I wanted a dumb answer, I’d go back to the middle school”
“JV’er”
“Run the clock Kurt”
“Hands, Hands” (In reference to not raising hands in class when asked a question)
“Always use a spotter” (shortly followed by watching him struggle through a squat with no spotter himself lol)

P.S. my Jr and Sr years at CHS our baseball team was really good and him and Coach Squibb came to every home game and would sit in lawn chairs down third base line and I even think I saw them grilling food one time on a small grill lol. He’s a cool dude.
Yes he is a cool dude!!

One of the best if not the best defensive coordinator in the state over a 30 year period

Oh dang i thought he one more year left....dang hope he still comes to the games

We are still in good hands at AD with a familiar face. Doubt he makes too many appearances at games when he could be doing things with the family.

We are still in good hands at AD with a familiar face. Doubt he makes too many appearances at games when he could be doing things with the family.

Brad Spell right?....yea i figured just nice seeing him at the games and speaking with him

I am hearing the majority of the schools want four classes evenly divided. If that is so it is another example of the schools complaining and then refusing to do anything when there are options.

The largest and smallest schools need to be separated out somewhat. That is why I like 12.5/25/25/25/12.5 fir five classes.

Last edited:
Both ng going to change in near future. Our 1A schools keep closing and that might make a difference down the road.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT