ADVERTISEMENT

Clark steps down at Crest

You know what it would be nice to win another championship at Burns. But I just hope it would not make me think that I'm the only fan or fan base that thinks they know what good football is . Your a spoiled fan base that can't handle a 9 win season. Just maybe that was a 9 win team . It was definitely not the caliber of personnel of the typical crest team. Just maybe the coaches work everyday in practice to get them lined up correctly and for them to be disciplined enough to not make those same mistakes every week, but they just were not. They were just a 9 win team man that must suck. Well you spoiled fan best you had better get a long list of coaches or get a new recruiting coordinator because from what I see you are in for more of the 8 to 9 win seasons .

Or maybe, just maybe the kids in this program and their parents decided early on that he was in trouble after a rocky start. They began to read the message boards and listen to the losers that hang around the fences during the games and the practices. Then those kids decided they didn't have to listen to this guy because the guys in the 1985 Crest jackets and the BAss Pro shop hats on the sidelines don't like him. Couple of the elite kids say screw it and give about 3/4 of the effort because they know they will be playing college ball in a couple months.

Just spit balling....

Reactions: DaBombDropper1
We would've only won 8 if it hadn't been for Burns. Thanks!
Hey guys you don't bother me at all with those type comments. We won 10 games this year and no we still could not beat the ponies. But this group has never beaten crest. That tells me they have had more talent over that period of time, and most of the time they do. Especially when some of better talent decide on their own wink,wink that they want to join charger and. So keep making those silly comments. Future is bright in Bulldog land if we can keep our guys. Next year will be a little rough loosing 23 seniors but Coach Devine will get the job done . Now does that mean we will beat the Chargers we will see

wow, the weather isnt fair right now, what are you doing back??
I've never been fair weather boss. I'm who I am. I'm not staying. I check in from time to time. I see you have a few more Lawndale pissers and moaners. I'll leave you out of it for the simple fact that you were here through the thick and the thin. But, most of your crowd are nothing more than bush league babies. Nobody respects that garbage. One time talking crap to Six time???? Bro, down deep, you can see how pathetic that is. Anyway, much respect for you REV. Good luck up that way. You have the right man for the job now.

Or maybe, just maybe the kids in this program and their parents decided early on that he was in trouble after a rocky start. They began to read the message boards and listen to the losers that hang around the fences during the games and the practices. Then those kids decided they didn't have to listen to this guy because the guys in the 1985 Crest jackets and the BAss Pro shop hats on the sidelines don't like him. Couple of the elite kids say screw it and give about 3/4 of the effort because they know they will be playing college ball in a couple months.

Just spit balling....

Sad but possibly true, B and G. However, isn't it the staff's job to keep the kids' heads in the game?

Reactions: CrestMan7
I've never been fair weather boss. I'm who I am. I'm not staying. I check in from time to time. I see you have a few more Lawndale pissers and moaners. I'll leave you out of it for the simple fact that you were here through the thick and the thin. But, most of your crowd are nothing more than bush league babies. Nobody respects that garbage. One time talking crap to Six time???? Bro, down deep, you can see how pathetic that is. Anyway, much respect for you REV. Good luck up that way. You have the right man for the job now.

Rev,

The fact that you lured Rulz out of his own banishment gives you major street cred!

Sad but possibly true, B and G. However, isn't it the staff's job to keep the kids' heads in the game?

Seadog- Ask the kids at Indy that question, or maybe the kids at Richmond and probably next year ask the kids at Scotland and maybe AL brown. Even better...ask the kids at Byrnes. He's only one guy in a tradition rich program and once these kids hit social media and read what an idiot there coach is and then they go home and Mom and Dad are telling there kid they should be throwing more screens or going deep it starts to build momentum. Here is what happens" Its not our fault its the coaches"

Number one reason a powerhouse remains a powerhouse is coaching continuity. Period end of the story. Start yanking guys after going 25-4 and winning one title and you got two problems. One you probably have to replace not only him but assitants, second.....Who the hell wants the damn job.

Trust me when I say this. Over the next 4 weeks you are gonna see a TON of tenured NC head coaches in big time programs gone.

Gonna be a ton of Indy's

Seadog- Here is a question for you. Lots of rumbling in the first 4 games by South Point fans. If Mickey only has one year in does he turn the ship and get them to the title game or are Red raider fans foaming at the mouth for a new guy and the effort goes south??

This statement alone proves you have no concept of football in general much less Crest football!

If your a coach and you can't find 11 that want to be on the field that can figure out how to get lined up you have failed as a coach! If you have one that won't find another one that might not be a talented and let him show how it's done!

A player that starts losing playing time because he can stop making stupid errors will soon find ways to improve, and do this job right!

The penalties are only a part of the issues just know you missed your best chance to beat the Chargers this year, Shelby and KM took advantage of their chance but little red headed step childern of Cleveland county couldn't get it done!
I would bet my football IQ against yours any day. It's not about putting any11 kids on the field you have to put the best 11. Little Johnny may get lined up right and maybe not jump before the snap. But he can't block a soul. Then you have this other guy he is big strong and can block ,but hell he done know his right from his left. And can not keep still at the snap. You get on him then he gets an attitude be cause he know s little Johnny not getting his spot. All teams are not equal talent comes and it goes . It would be nice if all the teams I pull for could win every game they play but then I don't think I would appreciate the wins cause I would think that it was owed to me. Does that sound like a fan base anyone know of ? I'm happy with 10 , will hope for more next year

Seadog- Ask the kids at Indy that question, or maybe the kids at Richmond and probably next year ask the kids at Scotland and maybe AL brown. Even better...ask the kids at Byrnes. He's only one guy in a tradition rich program and once these kids hit social media and read what an idiot there coach is and then they go home and Mom and Dad are telling there kid they should be throwing more screens or going deep it starts to build momentum. Here is what happens" Its not our fault its the coaches"

Number one reason a powerhouse remains a powerhouse is coaching continuity. Period end of the story. Start yanking guys after going 25-4 and winning one title and you got two problems. One you probably have to replace not only him but assitants, second.....Who the hell wants the damn job.

Trust me when I say this. Over the next 4 weeks you are gonna see a TON of tenured NC head coaches in big time programs gone.

Gonna be a ton of Indy's

Don't get me wrong, B and G. You are on the money. If you demand discipline and really care about your kids, outside influences are minimized. You are dead on about continuity. Legitimacy is earned with time and familiarity. Love the kids and demand their best. You can't fool the ballplayers, regardless of their wannabe parents and other influences. It's gotta be real!

Gonna be a ton of Indy's

How many crest games did you watch? Coach Milne lead the Chargers for one game after Clark was suspended and Crest played the best game they had played up to that point. Crest remained inconsistent each week. Crest looked like Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde. The signs were in the pudding in 2015...if you really watched and paid attention...and this year it became extremely obvious...whether the players don't respect him...or whether he just has inexperienced coaching abilities...this team under achieved...KM ended a 17 year winning streak...it never should have happened.

Seadog- Here is a question for you. Lots of rumbling in the first 4 games by South Point fans. If Mickey only has one year in does he turn the ship and get them to the title game or are Red raider fans foaming at the mouth for a new guy and the effort goes south??

We are a different animal, B and G. Mickey and his staff know this. We have been there as long as he has. We scrap with him like we did when he played. It's a wonderful, beautiful thing. We bitch at him and he sticks it up our arse. Or, he bitches at us and we stick it up his arse. It's a cotton Mill Belmont thing and Coach Tate's fault! :)

How many crest games did you watch? Coach Milne lead the Chargers for one game after Clark was suspended and Crest played the best game they had played up to that point. Crest remained inconsistent each week. Crest looked like Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde. The signs were in the pudding in 2015...if you really watched and paid attention...and this year it became extremely obvious...whether the players don't respect him...or whether he just has inexperienced coaching abilities...this team under achieved...KM ended a 17 year winning streak...it never should have happened.

For B and G,

This is an example as to why we spank that a__! Sorry, 91.

Clearly didn't watch many after reading his post. Then again he is a monster bandwagon fan so how much does his opinion matter anyway?

No more red bone. Once he gets to Crest, he's going to install the Green Wing. You heard it here first.

Whatever works. Have seen Crest run all power, pro style to a more wide open attack. The one I liked the most was the one that worked. One of the great things about Barnes was his willingness to stick to what worked.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
I would bet my football IQ against yours any day. It's not about putting any11 kids on the field you have to put the best 11. Little Johnny may get lined up right and maybe not jump before the snap. But he can't block a soul. Then you have this other guy he is big strong and can block ,but hell he done know his right from his left. And can not keep still at the snap. You get on him then he gets an attitude be cause he know s little Johnny not getting his spot. All teams are not equal talent comes and it goes . It would be nice if all the teams I pull for could win every game they play but then I don't think I would appreciate the wins cause I would think that it was owed to me. Does that sound like a fan base anyone know of ? I'm happy with 10 , will hope for more next year

Having the best 11 does no good if one of them keeps costing you yards in penalties play after play!

But that's just part of the issues and maybe he could lay alot of it on his OC but he hired him!

I have heard all year about how bad the oline was but yet he keeps trying to throw the ball over and over and the few times he gives the ball to the big ass RB we had he gets 5 or 6 yards a carry!

It's 100 times easier to run block a power running game stright ahead than it is to pass block and have to protect for 5 or 6 seconds so every receiver can run a 35 yard pass route because he just had to hit the big play, it looks to me like there was no glory in a 12 play 80 yand TD drive that ate 5 or 6 mins of the clock up to give your very good but tired D a rest and I am sure I'm not the only one it looked like that to!

I don't care what any of you clowns try to say in high school football coaching is everything!

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Having the best 11 does no good if one of them keeps costing you yards in penalties play after play!

But that's just part of the issues and maybe he could lay alot of it on his OC but he hired him!

I have heard all year about how bad the oline was but yet he keeps trying to throw the ball over and over and the few times he gives the ball to the big ass RB we had he gets 5 or 6 yards a carry!

It's 100 times easier to run block a power running game stright ahead than it is to pass block and have to protect for 5 or 6 seconds so every receiver can run a 35 yard pass route because he just had to hit the big play, it looks to me like there was no glory in a 12 play 80 yand TD drive that ate 5 or 6 mins of the clock up to give your very good but tired D a rest and I am sure I'm not the only one it looked like that to!

I don't care what any of you clowns try to say in high school football coaching is everything!
Nota fan I will give you that one . It seems simple you got a 235 lb kid in brintley and a kid like foster to put in front of him to block . I would take that all day but kids these days don't buy in to that kind of offense. If crest were to hire Paul Johnson and him bring his option running game, you would have kids leaving for all the other county schools . These kids want to throw it around. And if you had to watch crest run the red bone year after year you would be sick of it to. It works look at the Red haters now playing for a ship to rub in your face next year. But the kids don't want it. All I'm saying is stop acting so spoiled, you brag about beating Burns this year well I think it was good coach that accomplished that . The steady dose of wildcat and then the double moves on the pass plays got it done . That ball game with a play here and there could have went either way. I meant what I said 8 to 9 maybe the norm for a while you seem the KM middle school and there 3 straight championship s and in the youth ranks the Bulldog feeder programs are kicking butt. So lighten up

Nota fan I will give you that one . It seems simple you got a 235 lb kid in brintley and a kid like foster to put in front of him to block . I would take that all day but kids these days don't buy in to that kind of offense. If crest were to hire Paul Johnson and him bring his option running game, you would have kids leaving for all the other county schools . These kids want to throw it around. And if you had to watch crest run the red bone year after year you would be sick of it to. It works look at the Red haters now playing for a ship to rub in your face next year. But the kids don't want it. All I'm saying is stop acting so spoiled, you brag about beating Burns this year well I think it was good coach that accomplished that . The steady dose of wildcat and then the double moves on the pass plays got it done . That ball game with a play here and there could have went either way. I meant what I said 8 to 9 maybe the norm for a while you seem the KM middle school and there 3 straight championship s and in the youth ranks the Bulldog feeder programs are kicking butt. So lighten up

This is exactly why you cant watch a team play one time a year and make a call on how they are coached!

OK a couple of points you made further proves my point, you say kids won't buy into the give Brantley the ball and block!

Don't you remember Crest going to 4 state championship games and 3 of them were about 80% from the wildcat, I don't recall any of those kids quiting on him or not buying in! The reason they did is because they was winning and winning when it counted in the playoffs!

Players will buy into any system that the coach shows them that will work, it's a coaches job to get the kids to buy into the systems that work for his personal that's what separates the football coaches from the great football coaches!

You are a product of someone who is satisfied with being ok once in a whIle showing a flash of greatness!

One more point in north carolina there are about 8 to 10 teams that are pretty good every year just always seam to have the "talent" all of those schools are like that because of coaching south point isnt the most talented team and rarely are but they are well coached and they run a system (one of those systems that you say kids don't buy into) and they win!

Also the watered down system we have for playoff now days is also another factor into knowing there is no excuse for a Crest team to lose in the 2rd round of the playoffs!

Reactions: Crestuff

I tried to go fishing, stop by more often sir.....

I have been debating on weighing in on this all week and tossed it around...even though you only get a penny for your thoughts, here is my two cents.

I seen crest play 4 games this year and as big of a rival as it is and honestly how little I care about "them" I hate when the KIDS are in a situation that they cannot succeed. Yea crest won 9 games, but let's be honest with ourselves we play in a very week conference and all county teams should only lose to county opponents in the conference. Crest lost a good bit of talent after last year but they still had enough to PLAY better than they did. At all 4 games I were at I questioned the play calling at each one. I wondered why they seemed to beat themselves every Friday night with penalties. I have no dog in this fight, but I seen this coming.

A head coach is supposed to take what he has and do the best he can with it. It's not about being pretty it's about making it work and winning ball games. I expected about a second round defeat this season for crest because of the coaching but they had the talent to do more. I hear Clark is a stand up guy, but that don't always make you a good head coach. Especially at a place like crest with money and expectations!

I guess I will give my 2 cents since everyone else is giving theirs. Let me say first that I admire the really high almost insane expectations from the Crest fan base. I agree that the job isn't for everyone and the expectation is to contend for championships year in and year out. Pretenders and thin skinned coaches need not apply.

The people who really know Cleveland County football knew that Crest would struggle some this year especially with their lines. Crest were not able to reload on their lines as they have in past years. Crest could hide it some on D but their O-line struggled all year. The surprise was that this team and especially the o-line didn't really get better as the year progressed. This made Crest one dimensional on offense and teams were able to stack the box on them.

My last point is this. Crest does not have the same talent in the pipeline as in years past. Crest has some decent players coming but nowhere near what they are used to having across the board talent. For years Crest had some unreal talent in their youth league teams that fed their middle school team and most of those kids were playing together on the same teams. Many knew those kids were going to be a load in high school to deal with. The things that made Crest such a monster for a while is actually happening in KM right now. It's no accident that KM middle school hasn't lost in a couple of years and probably will not lose in the next couple. The Mack kid in KM is just part of the first wave that those guys have coming. KM youth leagues are really strong right now and play really strong competition in South Carolina and Charlotte(KMHS will figure out a way mess it up though). Crest feeder system is currently having some struggles that may impact them further in the future. The question will be how will their new coach be treated when he only wins 8-9 some years? I think the perfect hire for Crest would be Mike Byus from EL. A great coach who gets the most out of his talent with championship pedigree.

I guess I will give my 2 cents since everyone else is giving theirs. Let me say first that I admire the really high almost insane expectations from the Crest fan base. I agree that the job isn't for everyone and the expectation is to contend for championships year in and year out. Pretenders and thin skinned coaches need not apply.

The people who really know Cleveland County football knew that Crest would struggle some this year especially with their lines. Crest were not able to reload on their lines as they have in past years. Crest could hide it some on D but their O-line struggled all year. The surprise was that this team and especially the o-line didn't really get better as the year progressed. This made Crest one dimensional on offense and teams were able to stack the box on them.

My last point is this. Crest does not have the same talent in the pipeline as in years past. Crest has some decent players coming but nowhere near what they are used to having across the board talent. For years Crest had some unreal talent in their youth league teams that fed their middle school team and most of those kids were playing together on the same teams. Many knew those kids were going to be a load in high school to deal with. The things that made Crest such a monster for a while is actually happening in KM right now. It's no accident that KM middle school hasn't lost in a couple of years and probably will not lose in the next couple. The Mack kid in KM is just part of the first wave that those guys have coming. KM youth leagues are really strong right now and play really strong competition in South Carolina and Charlotte(KMHS will figure out a way mess it up though). Crest feeder system is currently having some struggles that may impact them further in the future. The question will be how will their new coach be treated when he only wins 8-9 some years? I think the perfect hire for Crest would be Mike Byus from EL. A great coach who gets the most out of his talent with championship pedigree.
Byus is a beast!

Reactions: CrestMan7

They have many feeder programs.

Reactions: The_Rev921
... Trust me when I say this. Over the next 4 weeks you are gonna see a TON of tenured NC head coaches in big time programs gone.
You are most correct in your total assessment, but especially in the portion I've chosen to "quote." There's a couple gigs getting ready to pop - ones that NO ONE (or, very, very few) will have "seen coming." It's going to be an interesting winter. Just sayin ...

When talking about the talent part of this discussion I have to ask the question.

What are everyone else's expectations when it comes to talent?

Everyone is basing the Crest fans spoiledness to the fact that they lost 4 games this year right after two years of arguably the best 2 teams to ever be at Crest and the fans being on the coach.

But what about 2010, 2011, 2013 those 3 teams had some talent that wasn't close to what we had in 15 and 16, I would venture to say this year's team had 2 QB's that were absolutely better than any QB on any of those 3 teams!

Those three championship runs were 100% game plan driven teams in other words the coaches came up with a game plan to beat the other team and we executed it better than the other team did their game plan and we won!

With the way the state of North Carolina has whored out high school football as a cash cow for after money there is no reason any competent football shouldnt make it to the 3 round!

All we ask is be ready on game day and compete and the winning will take care of its self!

The bottom line in picking a coach at Crest is that they have a couple wrong people that tin to know about football that is on the search committee that don't belong there.They know who they are, so please step back and see what happens

When I watched Crest play Shelby and South Point this year I noticed something and what I noticed was Crest had just as much talent if not more than both teams. The South Point game we looked awful and that was when SP obviously was not at there best. The Shelby game is when the kids rose above the bad coaching jmho

I have watched Crest football for over 20 years. Why doesn't the fans understand that the talent level changes every so often. This year about half the starters were sophomores. (Almost as many as Kirby's last year). The middle school team is not winning the conference anymore. The have not won consistently since Ledbetter and Bullard. Barnes is a good coach, but he took a team that Kirby developed and won for 2 years. Then he won with players he developed. Clark was handed a great team and won. Going 9-4 with mostly sophomores is not bad. They might be studs but young colts take time to develop into thoroughbreds.

I have watched Crest football for over 20 years. Why doesn't the fans understand that the talent level changes every so often. This year about half the starters were sophomores. (Almost as many as Kirby's last year). The middle school team is not winning the conference anymore. The have not won consistently since Ledbetter and Bullard. Barnes is a good coach, but he took a team that Kirby developed and won for 2 years. Then he won with players he developed. Clark was handed a great team and won. Going 9-4 with mostly sophomores is not bad. They might be studs but young colts take time to develop into thoroughbreds.

This year wasn't just a talent issue or youth issue. They made mistakes in week 1 all the way through end of season. How does a team line up in illegal formation for victory formation?

Reactions: notashelbyfan
Wrong my son lost two games from middle school to the time he graduated. But what do I know, I was only there for most of his games.And he only had two state championship rings.

Last edited:

I literally LOL when I read this!

I was gonna stay out of this because this not even my favorite team in CC, but these power ponies knows what they are talking about, hell I watched crest play several times this year. Look buddy. If you have been watching crest for as long as you say you have then that must make you around 20 years old...am I right? Because anyone will tell you, that Kirbys 2009 team probably would have whooped Clarks 2016 team and that is no joke... They were never consistent. They never improved...they made the same mistakes every week... Wake up

I was gonna stay out of this because this not even my favorite team in CC, but these power ponies knows what they are talking about, hell I watched crest play several times this year. Look buddy. If you have been watching crest for as long as you say you have then that must make you around 20 years old...am I right? Because anyone will tell you, that Kirbys 2009 team probably would have whooped Clarks 2016 team and that is no joke... They were never consistent. They never improved...they made the same mistakes every week... Wake up

Can only take seeing so many drives at the opponents 20-25 yard line end up in a punt from Crest side of the field due to penalties and poor execution.

I would be ok w Barnes coming back, now obviously the ponies will jump all over me for my reasoning. but his offense was bland and no different from Clark, the only difference was he had a bowling ball back there to hand it off to. He never won a state title w his own players, and the Burns transfers I think will stop now that we have a coach that wont let it slide. I am ok w Barnes coming back and not getting somebody better.

I agree...very bland offense and without a good Oline and bowling ball back it would be easy to stop. That is the same offense he used in the Shrine Bowl....just lined up in the wildcat and handed it to his back.

Reactions: The_Rev921
My last point is this. Crest does not have the same talent in the pipeline as in years past. Crest has some decent players coming but nowhere near what they are used to having across the board talent.

Heard the same thing from a Crest Middle school coach. That is unfortunate....I like it when Crest is dominating!

I agree...very bland offense and without a good Oline and bowling ball back it would be easy to stop. That is the same offense he used in the Shrine Bowl....just lined up in the wildcat and handed it to his back.

They won the game?

Isn't that the purpose other wise they wouldn't keep score?

Reactions: Crestuff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT