ADVERTISEMENT

Christ School at Maiden ?

Lincolnton

Nov 19, 2002
My team isn't playing this week so I was looking for some matchups that might be interesting. The Hickory Daily Record online said Maiden was originally scheduled to play the Monroe Redhawks in Monroe but that game was cancelled due to covid concerns.

Now, it looks like the Blue Devils are scheduled to play Christ School from Arden, NC (Buncombe County). I don't know much about Christ School, other than it being in the Asheville area and I've heard it is an upscale school. Looking back at their schedule for the last several years they clearly win more than they lose and over this period they own wins over tough teams like Murphy, Robbinsville, Charlotte Latin, Charlotte Country Day and Providence Day which earns them my respect.

For anyone who doesn't know, Maiden is good, again, this year. Currently they're 2-0 and ranked 7th by Simmons with a power rating of 128.8. As recent as Tuesday they were ranked 2nd by Maxpreps. Seeing these high rankings and ratings just reminded me that the Blue devils are in our conference meaning we (Lincolnton) have to play them. What a depressing thought.

Maiden playing Christ School is a new one for them as far as I know. In their churches, stores, restaurants, at work and in beer joints (they don't have pubs) when this game was discussed, the word of the week was WHO? They won't say anything negative about Christ School because it's named after Jesus. In spite of being a tough working class town most of them do have a spiritual side, but if they're playing any other team on their schedule it's no holes barred as far as the comments, this is especially true for Newton-Conover and Bandys.

I noticed that Christ School has played once this season. They were beaten by Corbin Kentucky 35-21 on August 20th, in Kentucky, and according to the AP poll for that state's high school football teams Corbin is ranked number 1 in their class 4A poll which is best as I can figure about the size of our larger 2A schools. I checked and Corbin has an enrollment of 932 students.
I wonder if the three week layoff (of CS) will play into this game. There are a couple of different ways of looking at that. Simmons has the Greenies ranked 2nd in the independent schools with a power rating of 132.3 and Maxpreps has them ranked second as well. Sounds pretty foreboding if you ask me.

Well, enough of this. I didn't see anything on here about the game and after doing a little research I thought with all the rankings it was interesting enough to say something about. Good luck to both teams and I hope no one gets hurt but I have to pull for Maiden, especially because of Maiden Creek and some guys from long ago. Oh, and maybe Hickory will do what we couldn't do and upset East Lincoln. That'd be a damned shame. 🤠

Last edited:
My team isn't playing this week so I was looking for some matchups that might be interesting. The Hickory Daily Record online said Maiden was originally scheduled to play the Monroe Redhawks in Monroe but that game was cancelled due to covid concerns.

Now, it looks like the Blue Devils are scheduled to play Christ School from Arden, NC (Buncombe County). I don't know much about Christ School, other than it being in the Asheville area and I've heard it is an upscale school. Looking back at their schedule for the last several years they clearly win more than they lose and over this period they own wins over tough teams like Murphy, Robbinsville, Charlotte Latin, Charlotte Country Day and Providence Day which earns them my respect.

For anyone who doesn't know, Maiden is good, again, this year. Currently they're 2-0 and ranked 7th by Simmons with a power rating of 128.8. As recent as Tuesday they were ranked 2nd by Maxpreps. Seeing these high rankings and ratings just reminded me that the Blue devils are in our conference meaning we (Lincolnton) have to play them. What a depressing thought.

Maiden playing Christ School is a new one for them as far as I know. In their churches, stores, restaurants, at work and in beer joints (they don't have pubs) when this game was discussed, the word of the week was WHO? They won't say anything negative about Christ School because it's named after Jesus. In spite of being a tough working class town most of them do have a spiritual side, but if they're playing any other team on their schedule it's no holes barred as far as the comments, this is especially true for Newton-Conover and Bandys.

I noticed that Christ School has played once this season. They were beaten by Corbin Kentucky 35-21 on August 20th, in Kentucky, and according to the AP poll for that state's high school football teams Corbin is ranked number 1 in their class 4A poll which is best as I can figure about the size of our larger 2A schools. I checked and Corbin has an enrollment of 932 students.
I wonder if the three week layoff (of CS) will play into this game. There are a couple of different ways of looking at that. Simmons has the Greenies ranked 2nd in the independent schools with a power rating of 132.3 and Maxpreps has them ranked second as well. Sounds pretty foreboding if you ask me.

Well, enough of this. I didn't see anything on here about the game and after doing a little research I thought with all the rankings it was interesting enough to say something about. Good luck to both teams and I hope no one gets hurt but I have to pull for Maiden, especially because of Maiden Creek and some guys from long ago. Oh, and maybe Hickory will do what we couldn't do and upset East Lincoln. That'd be a damned shame. 🤠

I believe Christ School allow kids to reclassify and gain an extra year of eligibility. Foothills/WNC posters can confirm if what I said is accurate.

It's a fancy all-boys boarding school near the Asheville airport. Probably most known for basketball and producing the Plumlee brothers, but football has been catching up the last few years. They lost to Charlotte Christian in the NCISAA Division III final in 2018 and 19. Dropped to Division II and won the state title last year. New coach this year from a private school in Florida. A good number of kids from public schools end up going over there and reclassifying to get an extra year--leading rusher last year started out at Swain, leading receiver last year started at Cherokee, and QB came from Charlotte Hopewell.

Guys, there is something to say about teams from these exclusive schools. Take Charlotte Country Day for instance, except for 2019, they've had some lean years but for the longest time up until around 2013, they were having winning seasons. Now, I think Charlotte Christian, Providence Day and Charlotte Latin are the top teams.
I never paid much attention to private schools, assuming they couldn't match up with the public schools. One night, several years ago, some of the posters were prodding and gouging the well known Charlotte Catholic poster Footsoldier. They were getting after him about Catholic playing country club schools, in this case it was Country Day. He told them how hard it was to beat some of these polo schools. He said they would come through the line like a bunch of angry bees. He also challenged everybody to go see them play sometime.

One Saturday night a year or so after that Catholic and Country Day were playing. Don't recall why they were playing on Saturday, but I went down to watch them. Believe me, they lived up to their billing. They came sprinting out onto the field and played at maximum intensity until the clock expired. Catholic would catch the quarterback behind the line and he would sprint from one side to the other until he found a receiver or could run with it or until they ran him down. Catholic was clearly the more athletic team but Country Day's effort and conditioning kept them in the game. They fired off of the line and rarely missed assignments.
Catholic had Elijah Hood if you remember him from Carolina. They would hit him full speed like yellow jackets, you could hear the pop and sometimes he would be dragging them with him as tough as he was.
Catholic won the game by one point but to this day I haven't seen a high school team give any better of an effort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT