ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee vs north Duplin

Ill say that the Cherokee QB is some kind of athlete. Did I hear he had already signed or committed to play at the next level?

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Looks like that hard hitting Cherokee team didn't make them give up. Great game by both teams. Congrats Cherokee on your special season. Congrats north Duplin on your special season. A TRUE 1A GAME!

Reactions: gdawg74 and jh60
Congratulation to the Braves.
ND coach lost it for them....fake punt with 9 mins left on the wrong side of the 50....stagnant play calling I saw that dive get shutdown all day pretty much....and poor clock management used 3 timeouts on that last TD drive....no hurry up....hats off to Cherokee but ND head coach blew it
That was punters chose.

Congrats to the Braves!! Qb was a stud. Enjoyed his fire on both sides of the ball.

Congrats to Cherokee with the dog fight of a win, turnovers killed ND, but no excuses here, better team won today. No butt whoopins, No running over, No winning by 3 TDs, old fashion dog fight till the end by 2 great teams. Flags hurt both teams, great coaching from Cherokee for running the ball, ND defended the pass game, but couldn't stop the run in the 2nd half, but kept it close. Again Congrats to the Braves on their 1st State Title....

Way to go Braves. So good to see the title taken back to the reservation! Well deserved. Way to represent the west, the mountains, the SMC.

Congrats to Cherokee with the dog fight of a win, turnovers killed ND, but no excuses here, better team won today. No butt whoopins, No running over, No winning by 3 TDs, old fashion dog fight till the end by 2 great teams. Flags hurt both teams, great coaching from Cherokee for running the ball, ND defended the pass game, but couldn't stop the run in the 2nd half, but kept it close. Again Congrats to the Braves on their 1st State Title....
Ok!! Flatlanders= noise!!! Go braves!!

Here come the excuses.. lol... ND has 3 turnovers and a 10 yd punt... not sure what will happen in the 2nd half, but for the 1st half, ND is holding there own against the world beating Braves..
Now you can shut your goofy mouth!! Where's all that speed for tarboro?? All that size with a weak schedule!!! Guess flatlander went home and tha braves came out!! Hahahahahahahahah!!

I’ll be honest ...if it didn’t rain, sleet, and snow during this game, Cherokee would have beat North Duplin 50-0. They were not better than Robinsville, Murphy or Swain. But winter mix and a slippery field and ball and it got ugly. I’d reschedule that team for the first game of the year... Anyways good job making the game I guess.

Reactions: Fourth'n'Inches
Slowest team to represent the east in a while!

Hmmm.... then how come ND went 14-0 against the really fast teams? ... musta just been better

Congrats to ND on a great season and to both teams for a great game! ... and of course to DA BRAVES!!! bringing the Championship to the hills!

"North Duplin better back up every bit of what their posters are saying" ????? Really??? I think ND posters have been fairly humble in this thread. It is the Cherokee and SMC posters who are saying that the ND team will never get hit like they will in this game.

I am pulling for coach Briggs in this game. He is a great guy and a great coach and I know he has been through a lot health wise the past few years. I knew him as a position coach when I played at Western some 30 years ago. He has a great passion for the game, has coached under some great football minds in his career as a collegiate coach and what he has done the past few seasons at Cherokee is a testament to his character and ability as a coach.

With that said I grew up in the county that borders Duplin to the north (Wayne). Duplin County football is good hard hitting football and has been for a long time. They have 3 of their 4 schools in the State Championship this season and the team that is not (James Kenan) won a State Championship just a couple years ago. I remember that ND team from I believe 82 with Ralph Britt who became a TE at NC State, Anthony Jernigan, and a RB (I forgot his name) but could fly. Those guys could hit!!!!

I respect the SMC. It is a great conference that now and historically has been an example of hard nose hard hitting football but you are not the only ones that can hit. Best of luck to both teams tomorrow. On a personal note my prayers go out to Coach Briggs and his family. He is a winner and win or lose tomorrow I know he can win the other battle he is fighting.
the name you forgot was Johnny Artis, his son is a linebacker at UNC.

I hate to sound like a prick but I'm very confident about our boys bein able to hit very hard!! Nd may get tha win but they aint gonna go 4 quarters gettin up askin for more!! Got 50 bucks sayin they won't fight for yards tha whole game, they'll start slidin and steppin outta bounds before tha games done!!! Hope our physacallity turns into points!!! See unz in tha mornin!!!! GO BRAVES!!! SMC!!!!
I'll take that in a check or money order. Thanks for the $50.

Hmmm.... then how come ND went 14-0 against the really fast teams? ... musta just been better

Congrats to ND on a great season and to both teams for a great game! ... and of course to DA BRAVES!!! bringing the Championship to the hills!
Wasn't a knock on them, just saying basically ND wasn't your typical Eastern team. Running the veer and playing some smash mouth football! Sorry if that bothers you 79, but not sorry! And IMO the East was pretty weak overall again this year in 1A. That could be why they went 14-0. Dry field and this game isn't close. Bout like the last "veer" team they played!

The 1A east has been down the last two years. In 2016, despite the final scoreline, Murphy could've and should've beat Plymouth big, the yardage discrepancy was huge, turnovers and injuries kept the game close. The 2016 Plymouth team was a far cry from the 2012-2015 versions. This year's game was far more competitive but the 2017 North Duplin team was the weakest east representative since at least 2011, potentially longer.

Not counting the 07 ND team, ND has never been and will never be your typical “eastern” team.

1. Cherokee was hands down the better team athletically, size, and strength.
2. People keep claiming without the weather Cherokee would have scored more...on the other hand ND might have not fumbled it 66 times thus controlling the clock more (how long was that first drive?)
3. I saw zero difference in the physicality of the two teams, other than Cherokee making stupid decisions like tripping the ND QB out of bounds.
4. How many times did the Cherokee QB run out of bounds to avoid contact? How many times did the ND QB run out of bounds (never).
5. The fake punt was a terrible decision by the ND QB who had done it before in the past and got away with it.
6. ND is terrible at the pass game...it’s just not what they do, get over it.

Ultimately, ND faced a much tougher opponent and fought tooth and nail and still lost. Meanwhile Cherokee faced an inferior opponent and barely got by. If their the weakest Eastern representative then what’s that say about the west? The SMC is and always will be the rulers of 1A simply because of the demographics of that classification. You’re not world beaters, you’re just lucky enough to be traditionally engrained and successful in the 1A bubble.

Congrats to Cherokee on their first title and ND on a great run.

Reactions: JeffFriday
The others were observations/responses to the game and other forum feedback. I know the difference is hard to understand, but you’ll get there.

Not counting the 07 ND team, ND has never been and will never be your typical “eastern” team.

1. Cherokee was hands down the better team athletically, size, and strength.
2. People keep claiming without the weather Cherokee would have scored more...on the other hand ND might have not fumbled it 66 times thus controlling the clock more (how long was that first drive?)
3. I saw zero difference in the physicality of the two teams, other than Cherokee making stupid decisions like tripping the ND QB out of bounds.
4. How many times did the Cherokee QB run out of bounds to avoid contact? How many times did the ND QB run out of bounds (never).
5. The fake punt was a terrible decision by the ND QB who had done it before in the past and got away with it.
6. ND is terrible at the pass game...it’s just not what they do, get over it.

Ultimately, ND faced a much tougher opponent and fought tooth and nail and still lost. Meanwhile Cherokee faced an inferior opponent and barely got by. If their the weakest Eastern representative then what’s that say about the west? The SMC is and always will be the rulers of 1A simply because of the demographics of that classification. You’re not world beaters, you’re just lucky enough to be traditionally engrained and successful in the 1A bubble.

Congrats to Cherokee on their first title and ND on a great run.
Tha most stupidest decision I seen was when tha ref decided to throw a flag for tha pitch man gettin hit!! If, should've, could've and would've but didn't!! 2nd half I seen a difference in tha physical play!! Guess tha only thing we can all agree on is tha fimal score was 21-13 and we got our 1st state championship!!! Woooooo!!!!

Braves played a heck of a game. Great job Cherokee.

North Duplin hats off for a great year this is going to sting for a while but your community still back you hard

Lol they can say whatever they want, but I know Football and North’s duplin might come in 5th place in the SMC

Tebow ...... maybe that why your qb fumbled 4 times cause he was fighting for yards in a terrible environment. But hey a run out of bounds means no fumble. If the ball wasn’t wet Cherokee throws all over them. They didn’t cover anyone but we dropped about 4 balls.

Good hard hitting game with the team making the least mistakes won

Wasn't a knock on them, just saying basically ND wasn't your typical Eastern team. Running the veer and playing some smash mouth football! Sorry if that bothers you 79, but not sorry! And IMO the East was pretty weak overall again this year in 1A. That could be why they went 14-0. Dry field and this game isn't close. Bout like the last "veer" team they played!

Lol..it’s all good BC93.. doesn’t bother me in the least. Was just a little humorous the way I read it. Thought it was the Track forum for a minute there... and I agree “Dry field and this game isn't close. Bout like the last "veer" team they played!”. ...yep, that veer team that even beat Robbinsville.... ;-)

Honestly resembled a game back in the 70's or 80's with the physicality and smash mouth football. Felt like I was watching a real football game again instead of a track meet with not hitting of the modern day lol.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT