ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee vs Hayesville

BravesGWY

Jan 5, 2015
oh man the biggest game in the Smc happening early. What does everyone think. Will hayesvilles size and the Cottrells beat the speed and lights out shooting from the Braves.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
No we played them tonight and they are not the same team we've seen the last two years. Granted they took us to the woodshed but stop Zach and Cherokee can win. They do have size, they do hustle but they looked winded. Their bench didn't look as deep for the first time in many years. Press, press press and press them some more and you have a good chance

They definitely gonna get pressed! From buzzer to buzzer!! That's our strength, we gotta make it work!

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Cherokee. Cherokee's bench is too deep, the second five are as good as the first five and the speed of this team is unreal. I'm predicting Cherokee boys to be conference champs.

Cherokee. Cherokee's bench is too deep, the second five are as good as the first five and the speed of this team is unreal. I'm predicting Cherokee boys to be conference champs.

Ha, ha.
Wait until tomorrow nite!
Jackets by 15

Reactions: lad0215
It looks like both teams are picking up where they left off from last year, and from everything I've been hearing Cherokee should give the Jackets a pretty decent game. However, I think Hayesville is on another level this year and gets the win at home!

It looks like both teams are picking up where they left off from last year, and from everything I've been hearing Cherokee should give the Jackets a pretty decent game. However, I think Hayesville is on another level this year and gets the win at home!

Well said my man, well said .....
The beehive will be swarming tonight.
Somebody gonna get STUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said my man, well said .....
The beehive will be swarming tonight.
Somebody gonna get STUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope Hayesville has a CVS, so you can buy some Visine for your red, teary eyes cause that's the only thing gonna be stinging. lol. Go Braves.

Jackets Roll
No Contest!!
I've been waiting for you Sam. What took you so long? :) Won't take anything away from your boys and their ability but not sure I'd be too proud of that win. I'll leave it at that because you know what I'm talking about.

Well heck I might as well go ahead and put it out there since my friend Sam won't ask what I was referring to....foul count: Cherokee 39 Hayesville 12. Hayesville made 24 free throws and I believe that's what Cherokee lost by. What a co-inky-dink.

Actually made the trip over the mountain to watch some roundball. Hayesville did shoot a lot of FTs but should have shot more, Braves foul, foul and then foul again. Both teams can shoot it. Hayesvilles size bothered CHS. Don't have a dog in the fight just an observation.

lol I guess the rest of the state forgot about the new rules too cause I've watched us play all over the state .. Nowhere and I mean nowhere is is called like this. I've been to watch our girls at regionals where the best of the best are calling the games and it looks totally diff...

On the gane note not sure why cherokee went from what they do good they press and run . Way too much 1 on 1.. Defense was terrible

I too was surprised by the lack of pressing for both teams. Not to dispute your point but the best of the best is not at the regions, just the booking agents buddies.

We just got our tails kicked. Terrible game preparation! Clearly out coached! However everyone is out coached against Cottrell.

I do agree about ref's. In no way did they cost us the win, However like poster above, have watched them all over the state and no where else is the calling this atrocious l!! Period!! SMC refs definitely got it in for Cherokee. I can clearly see why Cherokee quit using them.

I don't like SMC refs in general either. They've been notorious for calling a bunch of ticky tack stuff long before the new rules. However, I don't think you can pin a loss this lopsided (50-30 at the half, 92-68 final) totally on refs.

In no I never said it did in fact the girls game was called same way. Just not fun basketball to cheer for. Watching free throws all night is not my way of enjoying a game. Our boys were just out played and for the life of me can't understand why they didn't press and run. Hayesville can shoot the lights out though and cotrell is on another level.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Cherokee beat themselves plain and simple. We've beaten bigger and better. Poor defense (not getting out on shooters) and committing stupid, blatant fouls beat us. Offensively we didn't take advantage of their defensive weaknesses which they have a lot of. None of Hayesville's guards can check mcmillan and Day but ticky tack fouls took Jason out early (no surprise since Todd Mason showed up to make sure his cronies did his bidding. I remember last year Kendall being in trouble early for the girls.) Day just didn't take advantage of their weakness and chose to stand outside and try to shoot fade away three pointers. As far as dirty; I'd come out with a chip on my shoulder too if I knew those were the refs I'd have to deal with along with that stupid student section on the home side which is the shining example of poor sportsmanship. They never once organized and cheered for their girls. Some school spirit...

I'm baaaaaaacccckkkk.

On a serious note, Cherokee is a very, very good team. I saw flashes of brilliance, but their game plan was non-existent. Gonna get beat every time they play the Jackets if they just stand back and let us drain the 3's. I think the ref's called the appropriate fouls on the Braves, but they did let the Jackets get away with many that should have been called. Cherokee had no answer for Cottrell, and I don't know that anybody does.

I will go out on a limb and predict that no matter how many times Cherokee plays Hayesville this season, they will not beat us. Plain and simple. If nothing else, you're gonna get outcoached!!!!

Don't forget last year . Almost same result at Hayesville then got beat at cherokee ... I agree with nation way to many jacked up 3s. Not really an offensive game plan but we will get better ..

I'm baaaaaaacccckkkk.

On a serious note, Cherokee is a very, very good team. I saw flashes of brilliance, but their game plan was non-existent. Gonna get beat every time they play the Jackets if they just stand back and let us drain the 3's. I think the ref's called the appropriate fouls on the Braves, but they did let the Jackets get away with many that should have been called. Cherokee had no answer for Cottrell, and I don't know that anybody does.

I will go out on a limb and predict that no matter how many times Cherokee plays Hayesville this season, they will not beat us. Plain and simple. If nothing else, you're gonna get outcoached!!!!
Sam, glad you're baaaacccckkkk! I'm going to have to partially agree with you. The Braves will get beat every time if they let the Jackets shoot the 3's like they did last night. I also agree that Hayesville got away with MANY fouls. Braves got the hand check fouls called on them, Hayesville didn't. The older Cottrell is a very talented young man with an unreal game. With that being said I don't think all his dramatic "flopping" was necessary. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that when the Jackets visit Cherokee it will be a closer game and the foul count won't be 39-12...unless Todd is on the court calling and not standing at the door.

First time I have posted all year but it was clear cherokee doesn't have the talent to stay with hayesville if hayesville plays their best cherokee left hayesville wide open for 30 plus 3 pointers tonight they played terrible defense. I am a referee and it's also clear cherokee hasn't adjusted to new rules which unfortunately doesnt allow physical play anymore and frankly cherokee is kind of a dirty team which refs don't look kindly upon.

I was not there, but I did talk to a parent of one of the kids and they said The Braves just beat themselves and just didnt even show up. So I dont think people are putting too much blame on the refs. BUT, this post by cavalier17, I think says a lot. he is a ref and this post makes it clear to me that he has a opinion of the Braves program that was formed long before last night. I think if a ref has a predisposition towards one program or another they should have the integrity to not call the game. We all know that all SMC officials have that predisposition against the Braves for some reason or another, but mostly because they take offense to Cherokee saying they will not use SMC officials, and anyone that says they dont is out of their mind, who wouldnt take offense to that. So, i say even if The Braves would have showed up last night with their A game the end would have probably been the same result. I would be willing to bet it will be a much better game when they play at cherokee. Not predicting a winner one way or the other but just a better game, when there arent any SMC officials boo hoo'ing about Cherokee not using them.
Jackets must be a real good team but if they want to win a championship i hope they dont depend on that kind of officiating the entire season and play offs because whey they get outside of the SMC the refs allow pressure D, and before anyone comes back and says thats not pressure D thats fouls, remember, thats an opinion and yours is not the only one. not saying last night there werent a bunch of legit fouls, there probably was after kids got frustrated with the type of officiating

Let me just point out ONE more time. The foul count was 39 (Cherokee) to 12 (Hayesville) The Jackets made 24 free throws, Braves lost by 24. I'm certainly not saying Cherokee didn't deserve some of those fouls and clearly the Braves didn't play their best game...but come on people if you don't think those fouls are lopsided then you're out of your mind. Whether the Braves played their "A game" or not the officiating did play a part in this game. That's my opinion.

Reactions: Fourth'n'Inches
LOL not disagreeing with you lad just saying whether the Braves had their A game or not the outcome would have been the same with SMC officials

Yes I am a Hayesville poster and fan and yes there were a few (and I said few) ticky fouls but come on guys we were getting hammered with hard legit fouls. Cherokee has alot of talent and is a very good team but to say the officials were biased because of cherokee not using them is crazy. Most of them are happy they don't to go to cherokee anymore. I believe it was the same SMC officials back in football that didnt call one of your players down after falling flat on his stomach to recover a fumble and then let him return it for a TD!! None of you were on here complaining then because you won. So i guess it is only when you lose that it is the refs fault. Dont get me wrong I am not saying that was the best officiating I have seen (not even close) but come on yall got beat end of story. I heard yall yelling at the officials even when 34 raised his hand admitting to fouling right when he did it (which by the way 34 is a good baller). So I guess we will see what happens at Cherokee, which I hope the braves press more because we are great at beating the press and leaves us with wide open layups. Good Luck to the braves the rest of the year!!

Yes I am a Hayesville poster and fan and yes there were a few (and I said few) ticky fouls but come on guys we were getting hammered with hard legit fouls. Cherokee has alot of talent and is a very good team but to say the officials were biased because of cherokee not using them is crazy. Most of them are happy they don't to go to cherokee anymore. I believe it was the same SMC officials back in football that didnt call one of your players down after falling flat on his stomach to recover a fumble and then let him return it for a TD!! None of you were on here complaining then because you won. So i guess it is only when you lose that it is the refs fault. Dont get me wrong I am not saying that was the best officiating I have seen (not even close) but come on yall got beat end of story. I heard yall yelling at the officials even when 34 raised his hand admitting to fouling right when he did it (which by the way 34 is a good baller). So I guess we will see what happens at Cherokee, which I hope the braves press more because we are great at beating the press and leaves us with wide open layups. Good Luck to the braves the rest of the year!!

That dog won't hunt! I have personally heard at least 3 SMC officials bellyache about Cherokee not using them. And not that we don't, it has just really showcased the difference in officiating. I'm human, and I would be ticked if I was a SMC official, and I don't think I would do anything on purpose, but in the back of my mind, I'm gonna call it very close on the Braves! And NO, they're not any better when we win! It's not just the Asheville Association that are very good, last year in the playoffs, every game we played (won and lost), the officiating was super!

yep and not only the back of their mind mont but also when you have SMC officials on here talking about and seeing other people constantly talk about the "new rules" then they are going to make sure The Braves understand what the "new rules" are when they get to call a Braves game, and they will do it with a 3rd grade, see I told you so, attitude

Let me just point out ONE more time. The foul count was 39 (Cherokee) to 12 (Hayesville) The Jackets made 24 free throws, Braves lost by 24. I'm certainly not saying Cherokee didn't deserve some of those fouls and clearly the Braves didn't play their best game...but come on people if you don't think those fouls are lopsided then you're out of your mind. Whether the Braves played their "A game" or not the officiating did play a part in this game. That's my opinion.

Consider this: Cherokee called for 39 fouls that is at least 25 more possessions that Hayesville would have had ( maybe more if they had shooting fouls in the first 7 fouls). HHS shot around 50%. Shooting 50% on 25 more shots would of resulted in at least 12 more made baskets which is 24 points. Potentially this could be higher if any of them had been threes.

Just to make sure we all are on the same page, there have been rules changes. Is it possible that part of the foul discrepancy was due to Cherokee ( by your own admission ) settling for a bunch of 3 pointers because you are not likely to get fouled standing out there jacking 3's. I saw a Cherokee game last year in the playoffs, and I have to say that kind of physicality does not go uncalled in our conference either. The fact that the SMC officials call the game by the rules does not mean they are biased, it just means they paid attention during their rules seminars this summer/fall. It is not the job of the official to adjust to the style of play, it is the job of the team to adjust to the style of officiating.

Just to make sure we all are on the same page, there have been rules changes. Is it possible that part of the foul discrepancy was due to Cherokee ( by your own admission ) settling for a bunch of 3 pointers because you are not likely to get fouled standing out there jacking 3's. I saw a Cherokee game last year in the playoffs, and I have to say that kind of physicality does not go uncalled in our conference either. The fact that the SMC officials call the game by the rules does not mean they are biased, it just means they paid attention during their rules seminars this summer/fall. It is not the job of the official to adjust to the style of play, it is the job of the team to adjust to the style of officiating.

We're not only talking basketball here. Football just as bad.

Reactions: Fourth'n'Inches
Wow so there are 2 distinctly different groups of officials ( football and basketball ) and both groups are basically just dishonest?

Cherokee has played games outside of the SMC this year so i guess to answer allegahny's questions someone in the know should post the foul counts for the games that they have played with non SMC officiating

I agree that the teams need to adjust to the rules, not the officiating adjusting to the style of play. BUT the officiating needs to be consistent game to game

I agree that the teams need to adjust to the rules, not the officiating adjusting to the style of play. BUT the officiating needs to be consistent game to game

No league is consistent from game to game. Not in HS, college or the NBA.

Hayesville was the better team and won as expected last night. As far as the officiating, I think 2 of the 3 did a pretty decent job calling and not calling fouls. It was the one older fella that really wasn't ready to be calling varsity games, let alone a game of that caliber, that really cost the Braves. I think Hayesville did get away with several out of bounds balls that clearly looked like it went off of a Jacket player. I also believe that this SMC ticky-tack officiating really ends up costing the SMC schools in the playoffs when the refs are much more lax and allow players to get away with more stuff. This type of officiating does nothing to improve the game and only draws it out longer and the fans end up watching a free-throw contest instead of a real basketball game, as was the case last night. That said, I don't think anyone will beat Hayesville this year (good or bad refs) with all of the 5th year seniors on the team and their great coaching staff. If Cherokee can learn to play under control and come up with a game plan specific to their opponent instead of just throwing up shots I think they can be competitive and maybe win a playoff game or two this year. Best of luck to both teams moving forward!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT