ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee @ Mitchell

I imagine they have been lining up Mintz and running some wildcat with him. I can tell you the kid is fast. Don’t know for sure but would guess faster than Pittman. I’m guessing it gives them a better run option with he and Evans in the backfield. It is something that could cause issues. The QB option coming off the edge has been a problem for the Mitchell defense in the past. I think Mitchell needs to open it up and throw the ball some to McKinney. If they just try to run the ball they will allow Cherokee to hang around utilize Mintz and Evans too much in the ground game.
What Mitchell should want to force is Mintz to stay at wide out trying to play catch up in the game because their secondary and pass rush will give Cherokee trouble. Don’t play conservative Mitchell or it may cost you!! Some good kids on that team so turn them loose this week.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
I imagine they have been lining up Mintz and running some wildcat with him. I can tell you the kid is fast. Don’t know for sure but would guess faster than Pittman. I’m guessing it gives them a better run option with he and Evans in the backfield. It is something that could cause issues. The QB option coming off the edge has been a problem for the Mitchell defense in the past. I think Mitchell needs to open it up and throw the ball some to McKinney. If they just try to run the ball they will allow Cherokee to hang around utilize Mintz and Evans too much in the ground game.
What Mitchell should want to force is Mintz to stay at wide out trying to play catch up in the game because their secondary and pass rush will give Cherokee trouble. Don’t play conservative Mitchell or it may cost you!! Some good kids on that team so turn them loose this week.
I agree can not play conservative. Mitchell has got to spread it out and get it to McKinney who is maybe faster then Pittman. But when they spread it out even if the pass isn't there Pittman runs better out the formation. And when you have a team worried about those two and backs off the D is when Miller gets his best runs.

Outside of football , I ask everyone to remember Tyler McKinney for Mitchell. The game will be the day after Thanksgiving, he is a JR and it was his younger brother a sophomore at Mitchell who I mentioned last week on another tread that suddenly passed away October 16 and it will be his and his family first Thanksgiving without him and of course Christmas coming.

Big 1a schools got a huge break when the mountaineers went small. This team can play with anyone on the 1a level they are that good.
No disrespect to Mitchell as they have a good football team...but stop kidding...tarboro beats the breaks of Mitchell...i do think mitchell gets by Cherokee..i think murphy wins a classic next week at Mitchell in 3rd round

You guys should ease up on Magum. He’s just stating his opinion and this after all is what this board is for. He’s trashed Mitchell plenty of times in the past and it’s ok. Agree or disagree this is all for fun. I will point out he was spot on about Pisgah.
Well you and him be nice and understandin towards 1 another and let me take him tha wrong way please sir!!

We’re not as good as the state championship run, but 1a in the west (for the exception of mt airy) is tougher than 1aa. If you had to pick playing mt airy or Murphy to go to the state championship who would you rather play?

Also, robbinsville with the four seed got the best draw in 1a west. The western region will be decided next week when Cherokee or Mitchell plays Murphy in the 3rd round.

Murphy is really good team, but just think mitchell is better. Mountaineers has the biggest line I have seen in 1a.

We’re not as good as the state championship run, but 1a in the west (for the exception of mt airy) is tougher than 1aa. If you had to pick playing mt airy or Murphy to go to the state championship who would you rather play?

Also, robbinsville with the four seed got the best draw in 1a west. The western region will be decided next week when Cherokee or Mitchell plays Murphy in the 3rd round.
Wrong bro that mitchell team did not have a defense. That team offense was better, this team overall is better .

That’s right...everyone has their own opinion on here and we all gots to listen. Magnum....what’s the score this Friday in the Cherokee/ Mitchell game

Im thinking 42-14 Mitchell. You have to look at the schedules of the two teams. Mitchell would be undefeated if they had Cherokee schedule. I'm not bashing Cherokee they're just not that good. I watch them play a Andrews team would like 15 players and they barely won that game. They seem to think they have last year's team coming to Mitchell this year and that's just not happening

1A & 1AA are just opposites. In 1A the strength is in the West and in 1AA it in the East. And honestly in believe Tarboro will win 1AA no matter if anyone from 1A was in 1AA this year. Plus I would go as far as saying if Tarboro especially since Wallace-Rose looks down some this year could possibly win 2A or 2AA. They beat the 2AA #2 seed in the East 35-14.

1A & 1AA are just opposites. In 1A the strength is in the West and in 1AA it in the East. And honestly in believe Tarboro will win 1AA no matter if anyone from 1A was in 1AA this year. Plus I would go as far as saying if Tarboro especially since Wallace-Rose looks down some this year could possibly win 2A or 2AA. They beat the 2AA #2 seed in the East 35-14.
Wrong bro tarboro would kill any 1a team agree with you. But they are a team from Caldwell county that would beat them.

Wrong bro tarboro would kill any 1a team agree with you. But they are a team from Caldwell county that would beat them.
Well I assume you're talking about Hibriten which is why I said "possibly". But they are two undefeated teams one from the West and the other from the East which makes it harder to compare. Both soundly beat thier competition. Both was ranked #1 in 1A & 2A. Tarboro's strength of schedule ranking was a little better -3.2 too -7. Both are runnig teams . Tarboro avg points per game is 54.1 Hibriton's is 51. So I think on paper at least (and that's all as far as any facts str & stats is all you can compare them with, anything else is just your gut feeling), it would be a good game but I don't think anyone with certainly could say one would definitely beat the other. Plus the fact we'll never know far sure.

It’s hard to argue that Murphy isn’t the favorite till someone knocks them off. They are well coached and more physical at the point of attack than most teams. They’re the favorite in the west for sure.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
It’s hard to argue that Murphy isn’t the favorite till someone knocks them off. They are well coached and more physical at the point of attack than most teams. They’re the favorite in the west for sure.
At the rate murphy is loosing students, they will fade into another school without a football team in a couple years

At the rate murphy is loosing students, they will fade into another school without a football team in a couple years
AMD numbers 2013-2018
Andrews..264-272-280-248-228-228
Cherokee..287-274-300-312-317-361
Haysville..364-382-375-389-400-400
Murphy..458-446-491-495-510-470
Robbinville..350-364-359-364-361-361
Swain..621-585-572-556-559-559
Mitchell..503-535-519-506-489-489

One year Andrews lost 48 students, Swain 36 one year. The only thing that makes Murphy's 510 odd is that they usually are under 500 the 470 is more consistent with thier numbers, maybe it was a bad winter and couples stayed in more that year lol.

Actually Robbinsville numbers seems a little to similar each year..what you supposed is going on there?

Hope you guys know sarcasm when you read it.

I really think our best chance would be to move Mintz to qb and run all the read options . If Evans can get 4-5 yards and keep the chains moving and Mintz hit the big plays

Reactions: mbdfan
We gained almost 100 kids . That’s pretty crazy
Yeah I noticed that too. While everyone else is ether holding steady or loosing. Mitchell was a small 3A when I was in school 35 years ago 864 or so but this number would be 2AA today not 3A. North Buncombe and West Henderson in our conference that kept thier numbers up.

Last edited:
I really think our best chance would be to move Mintz to qb and run all the read options . If Evans can get 4-5 yards and keep the chains moving and Mintz hit the big plays
Can Cherokees o line open up a hole big enough to get Evans 4-5 yards every play? Mitchell's defense gave up the most yards per carry against Mountain Heritage (4.2 yards) and Erwin (5.0 yards). Those were the best lines Mitchell has played, and the best rushing attack (also both losses). However, I think Cherokees best bet is to run the ball, Mitchell plays very good pass defense. Evans has the legs, he and Mintz will need to try and get outside as much as possible, I don't foresee up the gut working too well...

Can Cherokees o line open up a hole big enough to get Evans 4-5 yards every play? Mitchell's defense gave up the most yards per carry against Mountain Heritage (4.2 yards) and Erwin (5.0 yards). Those were the best lines Mitchell has played, and the best rushing attack (also both losses). However, I think Cherokees best bet is to run the ball, Mitchell plays very good pass defense. Evans has the legs, he and Mintz will need to try and get outside as much as possible, I don't foresee up the gut working too well...
Actually I see Mitchell's secondary as their weakness on D. Erwin has 135 yards rushing the 3rd lowest of thier games but 249 yrds passing. Mountain heritage had to throw more then the usually do because the 4.5 avg was the lowest and 204 was thier 2nd lowest rushing total this year. So Mintz actually concerns me more as a receiver.

All day I think we tried that early this year and ended up with 5 loses .. I’m about putting it in our best players hands which is the two I listed

Reactions: mbdfan
All day I think we tried that early this year and ended up with 5 loses .. I’m about putting it in our best players hands which is the two I listed
I guess our opinions differ in that sense. I remember that gameplan during the smoky game and we know how that turned out.

Well I’ll put it this way with no sh_t talking involved......... Don’t overlook Cherokee. Somethings different, don’t know what it is, but something is in the air.

Actually I see Mitchell's secondary as their weakness on D. Erwin has 135 yards rushing the 3rd lowest of thier games but 249 yrds passing. Mountain heritage had to throw more then the usually do because the 4.5 avg was the lowest and 204 was thier 2nd lowest rushing total this year. So Mintz actually concerns me more as a receiver.
Hard to pass judgement on Mitchell in the Erwin game. It was the first game, with a young team, and alot of new faces, and a new QB, and they kept it close against a team that was bigger, faster, and more experienced. I give them a pass in that game, much like I give Murphy a pass in the loss vs Pisgah. The Dogs had a couple starters injured, one quit a couple days earlier. Murphy should have beat Pisgah.

I don't see Cherokee having anywhere near the talent that Erwin has this year. Although they do have a good coach, and that means alot.

Well I’ll put it this way with no sh_t talking involved......... Don’t overlook Cherokee. Somethings different, don’t know what it is, but something is in the air.
Again, I'll ask; what has changed in the Braves since going 3-2 against some pretty crappy non conference competition, and going 3-3 in conference losing by double digits to Swain, Robbinsville, and Murphy, and letting Rosman, Andrews and Hayesville hang around? I'm not questioning you, just curious because the Braves played Murphy a tight half, although I felt like they shouldve blown Albemarle out of the water...

Hard to pass judgement on Mitchell in the Erwin game. It was the first game, with a young team, and alot of new faces, and a new QB, and they kept it close against a team that was bigger, faster, and more experienced. I give them a pass in that game, much like I give Murphy a pass in the loss vs Pisgah. The Dogs had a couple starters injured, one quit a couple days earlier. Murphy should have beat Pisgah.

I don't see Cherokee having anywhere near the talent that Erwin has this year. Although they do have a good coach, and that means alot.
Oh I agree completely. I'm just saying if I'm going to attack Mitchell's defense and i have a good QB and receivers that's probably were going to attack. But they would still have to mix it up you go to like someone suggested and just throw every play someone like 6'3" 270 Mr. Boone is going to pin his ears back back and come after the QB and he might find himself throwing off his back.

Oh I agree completely. I'm just saying if I'm going to attack Mitchell's defense and i have a good QB and receivers that's probably were going to attack. But they would still have to mix it up you go to like someone suggested and just throw every play someone like 6'3" 270 Mr. Boone is going to pin his ears back back and come after the QB and he might find himself throwing off his back.

It's been a long time since I've seen a Mitchell player with the speed plus size of Mr Boone. Kid hits like a truck, and has very shifty size 14's...

We have a couple weak links in our defense and Murphy seen it and anyone whose been watchin us probably knows!! I don't ever watch Mitchell play till this time of year when there fightin 1 of us to move on!! I'm a diehard fan with a thought of us pullin upsets, rather we do or don't I'm ready for some big time football over tha next month!!

Again, I'll ask; what has changed in the Braves since going 3-2 against some pretty crappy non conference competition, and going 3-3 in conference losing by double digits to Swain, Robbinsville, and Murphy, and letting Rosman, Andrews and Hayesville hang around? I'm not questioning you, just curious because the Braves played Murphy a tight half, although I felt like they shouldve blown Albemarle out of the water...
Excitement. Regular season blues I’d say. The state championship team from last year only beat Andrews by like 10 or so. Then went to Mitchell up 42-14 before secondary’s went in. So I’m not saying who will win or by how much, I’m just saying......who knows how this goes.

Well we got a healthy Evans .. the line is coming along . Mintz touching it more than 4 times a game will help. If we can ball control and keep Mitchell off the field who knows . I feel we have underachieved all year and haven’t used our good players very effectively smith should be used more too

Mitchell only gave up 30 points to Erwin Reynolds is the only other team to accomplish that this year and Erwin is a damb good 3a team so that's shows Mitchell has a good pass defence

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT