ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee/Hiwassee Dam scores

Why not everything else including any bad weather west of Asheville gets blamed on them.

Cherokee did have another player get injured in the game and I am sure that had an impact on the team but HD played a great game. HD got off the bus ready to play and it showed. There was also a lot of support for HD at the game and any time there is a lot of fan support that helps the team's momentum and confidence.

You are correct .. Nope nothing like an smc game ... The better team won .. Game was won by players ... Cherokee has been Bit bad by the injury bug as the third starter went down.. But cherokee never quit and played hard ... Hats off to the HD faithful who came out and to their team very classy and just a well played game ...

Oh allegheny , I hope hope hope your boys get the chance to come out west and end their season in a game where 50 plus fouls are called... Then I don't want to hear a word .... As you have noticed not one smc poster has bashed anything I've said because it happens to everyone .. But enjoy the drive and practice your free throws lol

Sorry to hear about the injury,my son said it didn't look good.The injuries have piled up on Cherokee. All but impossible to overcome,especially at the 1A level.
I hope all your girls recover well.

Cherokee started the game with 2 starters in street clothes! Then another one goes down.
HD is a very good basketball team. Don't know that Cherokee could beat them at full strength, but it would have been a much

Sorry Braves but we already play in a league where they call the game by the new rules. There would be no adjustment for us. Always remember that it is the job of the players to adjust to the officiating not the officials job to adjust to the players. It is very unusual to see a foul called when someone is not touched. If you keep doing what they called on you last time, they will probably call it again. I am not offended at all by officials that call the game by the rules. I am however offended by people that go try to find different officials that will call the game a different way. As long as the game is officiated the same on both ends of the floor, you have never heard me say a word about officiating, and I little doubt that you ever will. I would however be very careful inviting us to a game, you might find that the least of your worries is the officiating.

I could pull up an entire thread where the SMC officials versus your hand picks were discussed. There were a lot more people than me discussing at that time.

I agree everyone has said something about Cherokees picked refs and yes they do blame a lot on circumstances but whose to say we haven't been in this situation. For what I seen at the R'ville and Cherokee game was yes the true SMC officiating and much like the NFL and their new rule guidelines there were an absurd number of fouls called. Seem like the first quarter took an entire hour. And I think not playing with the SMC officials does hurt when you actual have to play with them but I think the reasoning behind replacing them was one of racial prejudice. Barring I am no expert on the matter but being Native American does have this ignorance that follows and it comes out from refs to student body. Yes everyone does have a bad day with refs look at Chris Paul, but from this thread and the one before it, they gave credit where it was due. Let the smack talk fester if everyone boast their team as much as I hear the playoffs are going to get intense.

Lol yeah I'm sure they just let the coaches pick which ref is at the game ... It's funny nobody said this in football... In fact I don't think I've seen the same official at our home games and Ive been to all but one ... I guess all the big schools in Asheville just can't play basketball either... But on the other hand I've seen out of the road games the same officials over and over ... Some of them 7 or 8 times ... And the calls at rville were not hand checks ... Just anytime someone was touched a foul was called ... Both ways .. Rville fans and players all were very frustrated ..

all I know is there were some very tired girls on both teams after the game it was wide open from tip off to final buzzer not many half court sets ran lol great game to watch great atmosphere hell of a job HD girls and congrats to Cherokees point guard on her 2000 points amazing

to be honest, most of my posting on this subject is good natured ribbing. However, it is obvious that the different officiating styles do have an effect. How else can the discrepancy between Cherokees games against Hayesville and Robbinsville be explained. From the outside, it appears that the way Cherokee prefers to play is better suited to a game that is called a bit looser and evidently the villes prefer the game called a little tighter. In reality, a style that is conducive to looser officiating probably serves you better for the playoffs once you get out of that corner of the state. As the playoffs progress, the whistles will start to get swallowed and the contact will increase. To be honest, the Regional final between Avery and Prep got so rough that I was about to wonder at times if Avery would have enough kids left to finish the game.

If you have noticed in the past, I am the one that has constantly defended Mont and his posts. I am not the enemy. I do enjoy ribbing but I am a friend to the small traditional schools that have a chance, and have never wished anything but the best for your school. If the statement made above was true, and the reason the change was made was racial issues, then I am sorry that I have ever kidded about this topic. I had been given the understanding that the change was made because the SMC officials call too many fouls.

I understand allegheny ... It is fun .. Thats what was the best part of bk ... But after his Knights lost he jumped ship.. There was an incident last year where the refs made racially sensitive remarks and were banned for the rest of the year ... Well in coincidence 2 of them have reffed the biggest cherokee games on the road... It is what it is ... Cherokee did it in all sports and not just bball because both girls and boys play fast.. I am true fan like you after watching our girls get put out by bishop wished that the state would even out the field on the small traditional schools..

Actually cherokee did not switch refs in all sports I do not believe they switched from volley ball and I know for a fact that they havent switched for baseball and softball
on another point I do not think the refs played any effect in the hayesville cherokee games both of which hayesville won by at least 20 I truly think that hayesville has more talent than anyone in the SMC when they play at the level they are capable and that goes for both boys and girls when it comes to the boys I really do believe that they have possibly no one in the state that can match them at their best and with a few breaks both teams are capable of winning state but time will tell

I gave your boys credit for one of the best games I seen any one play ... The girls come on .. Cherokee was leading until two phantom fouls on Cherokees best player ... Before the foul count got crazy cherokee was killing the Hayesville girls .. So to say that is crazy ... And yes they changed for every sport I've watched .

Dam nation it was a very fast paced game ... Those girls are very good .. Good luck to you guys looking like the lady Braves are in some trouble injury wise ..

Originally posted by yellowjacket25:
truly think that hayesville has more talent than anyone in the SMC
the whole SMC? So you think Hayesville girls have a more talented TEAM than Hiwassee Dam?

huh, can't say I would agree...

I would disagree with that too ... Hadn't Hayesville lost to hiwasse ? Once or twice ? After watching both play Hiwasse is better ...

Hayesville has a very talented team, but to answer the question, yes, HD has beaten them twice. As I have said in other posts, when teams are facing other talented teams it's very difficult to outright say one team is better than another or predict outcomes on games. A lot of times it just comes down to which team showed up to play. HD was the team that showed up to play both times they faced Hayesville this season. Personally, I hope they keep showing up.
This post was edited on 2/8 10:16 PM by WNC1A

Cherokee was never killing to the hayesville girls they had a 7 point half time lead and I am not complaining about officiating at all but Hayesvilles best player picked three fouls in a 2 minute span in the third quarter at a crucial time and to say two phantom fouls is a little iffy one of them was a hand check that according to the rule book is a foul it is just that your officials do not call it by the book
To answer another another statement I know for a fact that they arent changing in baseball or softball and most of the officials this side of asheville do all three sports or at least two
On to the next one i was referencing the big smoky not the little but I hope HD is healthy come playoff time and can meet up with Hayesville again the style of play and aggression Hayesville is playing with now would make for a fantastic matchup and honestly I wouldnt be surprised if the winner of this game ended up an eventual state champion I think it may finally be the year with so much talent in the west that we see a traditional school win one if not both

Lol cherokee was up 13 late in second qtr .. So yes it was ... I have no idea about baseball but football and basketball were Asheville ... Cherokee girls are no where near what they once were .. But I feel like the boys will go deep ...?

I don't think Cherokee has a problem with SMC "style" of officiating. I think it had more to do with a perceived bias against Cherokee! We had an official last year say that "he would never f....ing come to Cherokee again!" And then he shows up for two of the biggest games of the year!!!!

Come on man!!!!!!!!

What he probably ment to say was HD is very good, although they are not in the BIG Smokey then that leaves Hayesville the Best team in SMC

HD's conference confuses people because they are in the little Smc totally different. Their conference consists of Highlands,Natahala,Blue Ridge, and HD

Saying they are the same would be like in college the ACC is the same as the SEC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT