ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball Cherokee at South Davidson

South Davidson's.........OK. They have a very good, versatile player in Anna Gardner and a good shooter in Hannah Cranford. They're not very strong beyond those two. I watched them struggle with Providence Grove around a month ago. It didn't give me a good feeling considering that PG was a below average team.

I won't go as far as the "running clock before halftime", but I think they'll have their fair share of problems against Cherokee.

This IS round 3. South D. has to be a decent team to reach this round. And it is at their place. No cakewalk here. Our girls are young. I expect to win, but I say it's gonna be a dog fight!!!

They have had a cakewalk so far to get to third round. Not putting them down but if they only beat East Surry by 4 then Cherokee will have the cakewalk

And the Brackets were kind to them, not having to face the NW1A.

Exactly. It was like that last year too with Albemarle and Gray Stone avoiding both the NWC and the SMC until the regionals. Luck don't last forever though.

2 of the better teams are done with the 2nd round conf tourneys that took place
last night...good luck to all teams but it will take a miracle to knock both Atkins and Prep out...an all Forsyth Co regional final??

2 of the better teams are done with the 2nd round conf tourneys that took place
last night...good luck to all teams but it will take a miracle to knock both Atkins and Prep out...an all Forsyth Co regional final??

Prep is a foregone conclusion, but I'm actually REALLY interested to see how that Hiwassee Dam-Atkins game is going to go. Atkins is very very good, but that is a HAUL out to the border and HD was better than I thought last year. The dictionary definition of a homecourt advantage.

Atkins would be favored in that game, but I wouldn't be shocked if the drive out there sapped just enough of their legs to give HD a chance to win.

Last edited:
4 and half hours drive in a car from Atkins to Hiwassee Dam HS. I bet those girls will be riding in the bus which means a bit longer than 4 1/2 hrs drive. You are right.....it is a long haul for sure.

Hey those two should meet in regional tourney and those regional tourney will be at Greensboro or Winston Salem next week. Atkins will not travel to Hiwassee Dam....

Oooopssss De Daisy I messed up. I did not realize that 4th round will be held at higher seed team. What a bummer! I really enjoy watching doubleheader at UNC G Fleming Gym or at Winston Salem LJVM. I really hope NCHSAA bring that back next year. Those doubleheader games are a big treat for those high school fans to see different teams playing for the titles. What you think Deanna King???

Last edited:
That ride is no diff than the ride Hiwasse and cherokee has to make to play in regionals every year. I'm kinda of glad hiwasse gets to play at home. They will have people hanging off the rafters for that one. Good luck to all the Smc teams today.

Reactions: Shelbylou14
That is true but at least you get to stay overnight and make a trip out of it. I really would like to see different teams in regional semifinals and finals at Winston Salem like last year. What a bummer.......that way people get to see different teams and even see great support like Cherokee Braves bring along. It will be a bit of culture shock for some of the players from Atkins if they go to Hiwassee Dam. I mean as far as the town and how close to the state border the town is at. It will be great to host a home game. It is just disappontment for many great fans that could not see all games during regional semifinals for all classes. That robs the chance for some fans that want to support both teams (boys and girls) What Cherokee boys and girls remain alive after tonite, could fans see both teams on Tuesday night or what????

Lady Braves came to Lexington on Friday and spent the night. Looks like a good game so far but lots of fouls. SD leads by 3 at half.

If you saw the officiating you would not be shocked. SD was in the double bonus just over 5 minutes into the game. Three techs on Cherokee. Just impossible to list all. Nothing on SD lol. Complete joke. Cant wait til they go to WS Prep.

Gata was right. Lots of fouls in 1st half on Braves.

Remember this cherokee team was extremely young and very inexperienced, they only lose 2 players that get quality minutes and 1 that comes off the bench every now and then. I'm not surprised by the lose at all. One thing is for sure and that's cherokee girls should be dominant the next couple of years

Probably the biggest stunner in the last 2-3 seasons. Sounded like the officials had a pretty big hand in it, but still have to give them a lot of credit.

That said, Prep will absolutely dust SD.

If you saw the officiating you would not be shocked. SD was in the double bonus just over 5 minutes into the game. Three techs on Cherokee. Just impossible to list all. Nothing on SD lol. Complete joke. Cant wait til they go to WS Prep.

Gata was right. Lots of fouls in 1st half on Braves.
it's hard to lose. South played 2 freshmen, a sophomore, junior and two seniors... Should be strong again next season. It was a great game.

Reactions: basketballstalker
Probably the biggest stunner in the last 2-3 seasons. Sounded like the officials had a pretty big hand in it, but still have to give them a lot of credit.

South outplayed the Braves. No bias from refs. They were both in double bonus in the first half. Cherokee made a run. South came back and won it in clutch shooting and strong defense!

Cherokee beating Albemarle last season was a stunner lol.

Brutal game for our girls from what I'm hearing . Shot terrible best player in foul trouble the whole game and 13 fouls called on the girls . In the first qtr. good season girls and had a freshman score 35.

Alb losing last year by 15 or so is not a fluke LOL

That is true but at least you get to stay overnight and make a trip out of it. I really would like to see different teams in regional semifinals and finals at Winston Salem like last year. What a bummer.......that way people get to see different teams and even see great support like Cherokee Braves bring along. It will be a bit of culture shock for some of the players from Atkins if they go to Hiwassee Dam. I mean as far as the town and how close to the state border the town is at. It will be great to host a home game. It is just disappontment for many great fans that could not see all games during regional semifinals for all classes. That robs the chance for some fans that want to support both teams (boys and girls) What Cherokee boys and girls remain alive after tonite, could fans see both teams on Tuesday night or what????
Why do they not hold th West Regional in Asheville. 2 hour drive for the far west teams that might be in it and 2 hours drive for the east part of the west ????

Brutal game for our girls from what I'm hearing . Shot terrible best player in foul trouble the whole game and 13 fouls called on the girls . In the first qtr. good season girls and had a freshman score 35.

Alb losing last year by 15 or so is not a fluke LOL

12 and yes it was. The team that beat you tonight GS beat in the second rd and Alb beat during the regular season LOL same team.

Good season though that's big time for your freshmen and younger players definitely a great learning experience. Good luck to SD.

South outplayed the Braves. No bias from refs. They were both in double bonus in the first half. Cherokee made a run. South came back and won it in clutch shooting and strong defense!
No bias, really, now that's the joke of the night.. Our girls got cheated big time.. Cherokee was in the double bonus in the first 3-4 minutes of the first quarter.. The refs would call it one way and the the fans and students section was start screaming and the refs would change the call.. I've never seen refs change so many calls to satisfy the people.. And also one of our freshman girls got hit and cussed by a big man or boy in the student section and nothing was done to him.. They talked to him and let him return to the game... Some of our girls have never witnessed prejudice before tonight.. It was awful... And through it all the Lady Braves had class

No bias, really, now that's the joke of the night.. Our girls got cheated big time.. Cherokee was in the double bonus in the first 3-4 minutes of the first quarter.. The refs would call it one way and the the fans and students section was start screaming and the refs would change the call.. I've never seen refs change so many calls to satisfy the people.. And also one of our freshman girls got hit and cussed by a big man or boy in the student section and nothing was done to him.. They talked to him and let him return to the game... Some of our girls have never witnessed prejudice before tonight.. It was awful... And through it all the Lady Braves had class

Welcome to playing at SD. We have had multiple issues playing there such as prejudice. Last time we played there we won but had an issue with one of our players being called the N word.

The players are fine typical issues rose out of the stands. No reason a fan should touch a player at all. Smh.

Sounds like officials in our area. They make sure they get your key players in foul trouble and put their favorite team in the bonus early. Then later in the game when the game is already decided they start calling the other way to doctor the books by evening up the foul count in case the state looks into it !!! True story, have watched it for a few years and figured it out. I bet by the end of a game they would be little difference in total foul count for each team. But the damage was already done

Does the NCHSAA not have millions. Why the need for donors and sponsors. The Asheville Civic center would be great. If not find a 4A school in Asheville that would do it. It's the 1A regionals so a large HS gymnasium should be sufficient. Just my opinion. Thank you

Sounds like officials in our area. They make sure they get your key players in foul trouble and put their favorite team in the bonus early. Then later in the game when the game is already decided they start calling the other way to doctor the books by evening up the foul count in case the state looks into it !!! True story, have watched it for a few years and figured it out. I bet by the end of a game they would be little difference in total foul count for each team. But the damage was already done
That's exactly what was done!!!

12 and yes it was. The team that beat you tonight GS beat in the second rd and Alb beat during the regular season LOL same team.

Good season though that's big time for your freshmen and younger players definitely a great learning experience. Good luck to SD.

The only person who thought Albemarle getting routed by Cherokee last year was a stunner was you.

Reactions: atucker2
You obviously didn't watch Alb play last year did you? Routed is a 12 pt win really? What do you call the butt kicking MA took? Lol

Cherokee is 1-1 happened to lose to SD who hasn't beaten Alb in atleast 3 yrs lol. That was last year and both teams are young right now I have a feeling they will meet again.

But ask around to anybody that had seen alb play last year against Cherokee and see what they say. That was easily the worst game they played all year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT