1-Shelby vs 16-West Wilkes;

8-East Rutherford vs 9-Brevard

4-East Montgomery vs 13-Smoky Mountain;

5-Wheatmore vs 12-Lexington

3-Mountain Heritage vs 14-Bandys;

6-Salisbury vs 11-North Wilkes

2-Reidsville vs 15-East Lincoln;

7-Hendersonville vs 10-Red Springs

Wow SP a 7 I don't there are 6 teams better than the Red Midgets in all of 2A ball.

If SP loses to Shelby, they won't drop far in Maxpreps. Depends on who they drop behind I'd say two seed maybe 3

East Bladen will seed higher than Whiteville that's for sure. I don't even see why people are trying to make brackets yet with 5 games to go. This is pure thrash.

Reactions: BiltmoreCANE
Phantom, I'll have to agree. I hope y'all get to play south Columbus again. From what I saw in first game, y'all will win

If SP loses to Shelby, they won't drop far in Maxpreps. Depends on who they drop behind I'd say two seed maybe 3
If Shelby beats S. Point, then the highest S. Point can be seeded is #7 as all of the conference champions will be seeded above them.

Same if S. Point beat Shelby. Golden Lions can be seeded no higher than #7.

That's why the Shelby at S. Point regular season ending game is such a big deal for both teams. Win and stay home. Lose and hit the road.

Last edited:
If Shelby beats S. Point, then the highest S. Point can be seeded is #7 as all of the conference champions will be seeded above them.

That's why the Shelby at S. Point regular season ending game is such a big deal for both teams. Win and stay home. Lose and hit the road.
I would hate to be the #2 seed who has to face either of those teams in the 2nd round

Guys, you need to understand the ranking in NC Preps or AP or Carolina Varsity, etc does not impact the State rankings. Even with MaxPreps (the one NCHSAA uses), you could be the 7-8 ranked team but the 2-3 seed because of your conference finish/record.

If SP loses to Shelby and finishes second in their conf, they won't be seeded ahead of other conf champions. So that would make them the highest of the second place teams from other conferences.

http://www.charlotte...e173890576.html

2AA East

1-East Duplin vs 16-Washington;

8-Roanoke Rapids vs 9-West Craven

4-South Granville vs 13-Bunn;

5-Nash Central vs 12-T.W. Andrews

3-Randleman vs 14-East Davidson;

6-SouthWest Edgecombe vs 11-Cummings

2-North Davidson vs 15-St. Pauls;

7-Ledford vs 10-Richlands

2AA West

1-Hibriten vs 16-West Iredell;

8-Pisgah vs 9-Maiden

4-Mount Pleasant vs 13-West Lincoln;

5-North Surry vs 12-Foard

3-Newton-Conover vs 14-North Lincoln;

6-Wilkes Central vs 11-West Stokes

2-Franklin vs 15-Forest Hills;

7-South Point vs 10-Patton

2A East

1-Northeastern vs 16-Beddingfield;

8-First Flight vs 9-East Bladen

4-Southwest Onslow vs 13-Ayden-Grifton;

5-Wallace-Rose Hill vs 12-Greene Central

3-Kinston vs 14-Trask;

6-Whiteville vs 11-Farmville Central

2-South Columbus vs 15-Bertie;

7-Hertford County vs 10-Clinton

2A West

1-Shelby vs 16-West Wilkes;

8-East Rutherford vs 9-Brevard

4-East Montgomery vs 13-Smoky Mountain;

5-Wheatmore vs 12-Lexington

3-Mountain Heritage vs 14-Bandys;

6-Salisbury vs 11-North Wilkes

2-Reidsville vs 15-East Lincoln;

7-Hendersonville vs 10-Red Springs

What you say is true but those conferences are split across 2A & 2AA so that weighs into the equation.

I agree with Phantom in regards to Whiteville/East Bladen. Also Kinston has a very good chance of losing next week when they lay at Ayden-Grifton. Way too early for playoff projection. Lots of football yet to be played.

What an amazing feat of winning so many games in a row at home. Can't imagine it will ever be matched again.

One thing for sure, if Shelby beats S. Point, then the Golden Lions will be the #1 seed in either 2AA or 2A and rightfully so.

I am hoping the Golden Lions will be 2A so Champ 98/72 will get his fondest wish of getting to play the Reidsville Rams.:)

Yes, this 7 is assuming they lose to Shelby, but remember nobody who finishes 2nd in a conference can be seeded higher than anybody who wins a conference....if they beat Shelby they go to 1, if they lose to Shelby, they're the highest of the 2nd place conference finishers

East Bladen will seed higher than Whiteville that's for sure. I don't even see why people are trying to make brackets yet with 5 games to go. This is pure thrash.
Yes, I've been running bracket updates for 5 weeks when the new rankings come out and the Observer's (same writer for N&O & Charlotte) made a couple of mistakes each week with either big/small using last year's numbers or with these seedings, i believe East Bladen & Whiteville's spots should be reversed, and yes there are five games left but this is an attempt to show what the bracket would look like if the playoffs started today and if there were no upsets according to maxpreps rank, but i believe they still made a bunch of mistakes

Clinton going small?
I believe that's another mistake in these projections....using last year's numbers Clinton is close to the line but definitely 2AA, and of course yes absolutely there's the possibility they could go small this year when new numbers come out, and of course as we see who makes the playoffs

Reactions: marsgreen
SWO 4 seed and WRH a 5 seed??? this is a joke right?
No, SWO is projecting as a conference champion, WRH is projecting as a 2nd place finisher....about the only way WRH gets seeded higher than SWO (assuming SWO does win their conference) would be for Clinton to beat East Duplin and force a 3 way tie, then WRH would get a 1 in 2A (assuming they're small), Clinton would get a 1 in 2AA (assuming they're big), and East Duplin would get a 3 in 2AA (assuming they're big)....talk about a disappointed home team if ED went in as a wild card and dropped to a 9 or 10....SimmonsRatings currently has ED 20 pts higher than Clinton so I'm not expecting it, but i believe most would agree that Clinton is definitely ED's toughest opponent left, if ED wins out they could get #1 in 2AA East, but could go behind North Davidson if they go East

I was reading somewhere East Chapel Hill doesn't have a program, but is still ranked higher in Maxpreps than schools with programs. Faults in everything I guess

I was reading somewhere East Chapel Hill doesn't have a program, but is still ranked higher in Maxpreps than schools with programs. Faults in everything I guess
I just looked on their latest rankings and didn't see East Chapel Hill ranked anywhere.

What an amazing feat of winning so many games in a row at home. Can't imagine it will ever be matched again.

One thing for sure, if Shelby beats S. Point, then the Golden Lions will be the #1 seed in either 2AA or 2A and rightfully so.

I am hoping the Golden Lions will be 2A so Champ 98/72 will get his fondest wish of getting to play the Reidsville Rams.:)
We like playing down at Reidsville.

I'll have to remember where I saw it and which forum. Maybe Carolina preps and Maxpreps may have corrected the mistake by now

Do we know when the seeding will be announced though?? The maxpreps rankings are usually updated on Sundays and Tuesdays....Are we going to have to wait until Monday morning to find out the matchups and instead of the usual Saturday? Last year they announced before the final Friday night that the previous week's rankings would be used but that was not that big of a deal because they were only breaking a tie between teams with the same record, so not having 1 of 11 games played not factor in didn't matter as much....this year with essentially all 64 spots having something to do with that ranking, I hope they would wait until the final rankings come out, after all scores get reported from Week 12

Reactions: bknights#77

Shelby has a commanding lead in the series with Reidsville . Reidsville is 1-3 against Shelby so why would Shelby not want to meet Reidsville again , this year , next year , the year after and every year ?

Last edited:
+1 for sure.
+2 for sure
Don’t want y’all having another cake walk to another state championship. If we don’t go 2A, you guys will go unchallenged once again, and y’all know this, internally. People mention Northeastern as a contender yearly, they're balanced, offensively, but never have any defense, the other teams are one dimensional running teams, schematically, a recipe for disaster vs the likes of Reidsville and Shelby.

Last edited:
Ok keep on sleeping on northeastern this year and get beat

Most of the West teams can sleep all they want on Northeastern as the earliest they could possibly see them would be December 8/9. Why should they worry about something that can't happen for 8 weeks or may not happen at all, either because they don't make it that far themselves or Northeastern doesn't? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

panties%2Bin%2Ba%2Bwad.jpg

Last year rankings were not far off of projections. Conf. champs get 1 round bye?
I don't think I would break my rythem with byes,but some teams my need them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT