ADVERTISEMENT

Charlotte area 4A Conferences, did the NCHSAA get it right?

Chris_Hughes

Staff
Feb 13, 2004
Conference 57
A.L. Brown
Cox Mill
Hickory Ridge
Lake Norman
Mooresville
South Iredell
West Cabarrus

Ultimately I feel that Conference 57 is not too bad. There will be some miles put on N.C. Hwy 3 and 485 but for travel and competition purposes, I think it'll be a good league. The schools should benefit from good gates, assuming we get back to in-person games, and I think the competition on the field will be pretty level.

Conference 58
Cuthbertson
Marvin Ridge
Piedmont
Porter Ridge
Sun Valley
Weddington

Again, this is a pretty solid league in terms of the schools that make it up. There could have been some tinkering to possibly put Charlotte Catholic or Ardrey Kell into it, given the close proximity to Weddington, Cuthbertson, and Marvin Ridge, but overall, I think the schools involved are probably pretty pleased with its make up.

Conference 59
Butler
Charlotte Catholic
East Meck
Garinger
Independence
Providence
Rocky River

Conference 49
Ardrey Kell
Berry
Harding
Myers Park
Olympic
South Meck

Conference 60
Chambers
Hopewell
Hough
Mallard Creek
North Meck
West Charlotte (3A)
West Meck (3A)

I understand that are hundreds of different ways that you can scheme the CMS schools into conferences, and what we've been presented is okay, but is it the best solution? I feel that political battles will ensue if you try to place these schools into conferences that make better sense. Whether from a gate standpoint, competition standpoint, or travel standpoint, I don't think any conference draft would make everyone happy.

I do think that from a rivalry perspective, they got it right putting schools like West Charlotte, West Meck, and North Meck together, in basketball those will provide some great environments. I think you could have thrown Berry and Olympic into that league and those schools and they'd all be very close together and make for less travel.

I'm anxious to get some of your thoughts.

I like the conference 57. Iredell/Cabarrus mix. I understand there will be disagreements. But I feel this conference is on a more level playing field. I see good gates with this conference. I respect anybody else opinion on this subject. As for other conferences I can’t really can’t say.

Ofc I like Mooreville Conference

I think Garinger dodge a bullet from getting moved out of the Imeck which was need to be done

I’m little bit conflicted on why West Char n West Meck aren’t in 3A conference but I’m sure they aren’t complain about being in the Imeck either so

Overall I think they got it right

Ofc I like Mooreville Conference

I think Garinger dodge a bullet from getting moved out of the Imeck which was need to be done

I’m little bit conflicted on why West Char n West Meck aren’t in 3A conference but I’m sure they aren’t complain about being in the Imeck either so

Overall I think they got it right
Garinger did not dodge a bullet, they won't be competitive no matter the conference, just a matter of where they play their away games.

Garinger did not dodge a bullet, they won't be competitive no matter the conference, just a matter of where they play their away games.

I disagree, Yes We all know Garingers history but it make absolutely No sense to have them in the Imeck . Under a New HC and AD you pretty much setting them up for failure in that conference

They fit better in the conference they are in , Will they win many games prob not, but to me it makes more sense to have them in that conference then the Imeck ! So yes they did dodge a bullet an

I disagree, Yes We all know Garingers history but it make absolutely No sense to have them in the Imeck . Under a New HC and AD you pretty much setting them up for failure in that conference

They fit better in the conference they are in , Will they win many games prob not, but to me it makes more sense to have them in that conference then the Imeck ! So yes they did dodge a bullet an
They seem to have a new coach/AD yearly. They need stability before we can talk about what conference “is best” for them.

Since this is a football board, I would imagine the question is how is football impacted.
I still do not see any conference having a top 3 like Conf 60 has with MC, Hough and Chambers. Still brutal.
I also think the Conf 59 guys probably were not thrilled with the revision that put Myers Park in there.
Also, seems like the people in CMS must have had some influence on this as the only non-CMS team in any of their conferences is Catholic.

Since this is a football board, I would imagine the question is how is football impacted.
I still do not see any conference having a top 3 like Conf 60 has with MC, Hough and Chambers. Still brutal.
I also think the Conf 59 guys probably were not thrilled with the revision that put Myers Park in there.
Also, seems like the people in CMS must have had some influence on this as the only non-CMS team in any of their conferences is Catholic.
Geographically, Catholic fits into a CLT conference better. Those drives to Parkwood and Piedmont are brutal. I'd much rather drive within Mecklenburg County. I think CMS looked at the conferences and had to make a tough call of where to put Catholic. I like our conference a lot and think CC/Butler is going to be an awesome game for the next 4 years.

Reactions: MagisterO
I feel like a good chance we will see Catholic/Butler battling for the conference from year to year. Time will tell. But definitely a big crowd turnout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT