ADVERTISEMENT

Change in Warrior Land?

rockstrong

Oct 15, 2010
Rumors are out that there’s gonna be a change at East Gaston. Anybody else heard it or can anybody put the rumors to bed?

Excepting reality... it's time to turn to looking to see who can come in and coach the 2020 team. Looking ahead, EG had a very solid JV team... one of the best they've had in a long while. Although, the 2020 team will be young with only a small handful of juniors on the '19 team becoming seniors next season, the 2021 team will be one to watch. If we can somehow talk a guy into staying two years, that would be a homerun.

Does East Gaston make a double hire and go out and hire a professional furniture and appliance wholesale expert to help cover the Beam Boy's business in Lincolnton while Matt Beam comes to coach the Warriors?

Does East Gaston make a call to Tuscola to see what the going offer rate is for bringing in new head coaches?

What about the ole Kings Mountain coaching tree? Think one of them would want to get their feet wet? What about maybe the special teams guy?

Just brainstorming...:D

Excepting reality... it's time to turn to looking to see who can come in and coach the 2020 team. Looking ahead, EG had a very solid JV team... one of the best they've had in a long while. Although, the 2020 team will be young with only a small handful of juniors on the '19 team becoming seniors next season, the 2021 team will be one to watch. If we can somehow talk a guy into staying two years, that would be a homerun.

Does East Gaston make a double hire and go out and hire a professional furniture and appliance wholesale expert to help cover the Beam Boy's business in Lincolnton while Matt Beam comes to coach the Warriors?

Does East Gaston make a call to Tuscola to see what the going offer rate is for bringing in new head coaches?

What about the ole Kings Mountain coaching tree? Think one of them would want to get their feet wet? What about maybe the special teams guy?

Just brainstorming...:D
I would go with at least someone with a clue about defense!

Reactions: Tarheel Warrior
With the lack of recent success is this an attractive job? What are the positives and negatives?

With the lack of recent success is this an attractive job? What are the positives and negatives?

The few times I saw them this year they have good size and talent on jv and varsity. Ran the wing t this year and looked like they could be good in the next couple of years.

If this is true... it does seem really quick as if they already had their replacement. The Bolton mention makes sense with respect to the above considering that he has Forestview ties with the current AD.

Wonder if Jon Putnam put in for the job?

This seems to be Lippards MO. He was at North Stokes, Brevard, and NE Guilford all for two year stints. Kind of glad to see him go. You can't win football games scoring 11 points a game.

Has anyone heard of who they are interviewing for the position?

I'd like to see EG get back to 2003-2006 years. I understand the school was much bigger back then but we can all wish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarheel Warrior
If this is true... it does seem really quick as if they already had their replacement. The Bolton mention makes sense with respect to the above considering that he has Forestview ties with the current AD.

Wonder if Jon Putnam put in for the job?

IMO Putnam is ready to be a HC. I don't know if he put in for it, but I think he would be a great hire.

With McMillan not having the best track record at SC, do you think Putnam is just waiting his turn there? Better facilities, newer school, more kids etc..

It would be good to get Putnam but it might be a long shot. IMO the program needs an entire shake up like when Latham and company came in guns blazing changing the whole mindset and culture. Whoever they hire, needs to gain the support of the alumni and the community first. EG had a promising JV season with wins over SP and Shelby with some promising young talent so we will see how it shakes out.

With McMillan not having the best track record at SC, do you think Putnam is just waiting his turn there? Better facilities, newer school, more kids etc..

It would be good to get Putnam but it might be a long shot. IMO the program needs an entire shake up like when Latham and company came in guns blazing changing the whole mindset and culture. Whoever they hire, needs to gain the support of the alumni and the community first. EG had a promising JV season with wins over SP and Shelby with some promising young talent so we will see how it shakes out.

Are there coaches in the building, or do most assistants come in as community volunteers? How is the admin support other than the AD?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe most of the assistant coaches are community volunteers.. I know the administration in the past have been very supportive of the football program. I believe the current admin is the same with the hire of the AD that is determined to turn things around. It's a big revenue generator for the school. If game attendance is down (which it is), it affects other funding as well. So I would hope the administration sees the value in a good hire for this role.

Reactions: rockstrong
Doubt it’s Bolton. South Carolina money is too good to pass it up.

I know Putnam through a friend, he told me when it came open if they called he’d talk to them, but he was happy as the DC at Cramer. That the staff over there hopes to continue work towards success.

I wonder about another former Warrior whose a DC with a couple state championships.

Last edited:
Probably not Bolton, I agree. As for Putnam, I know him well and we have talked about what he wants career wise. I know he isn’t sure if he EVER wants to be a head coach. He seems really happy doing what he is doing and loves working at the Purple Palace. He bleeds purple. I know Stuart Cramer is only about 5 minutes from his house, he loves the school and the kids, and enjoys working with the coaching staff. I’d be surprised if he would leave all that for the EG job. Plus, I heard rumors that the EG AD was wanting the head coach to work 6 days a week in the weight room and on the field year round. That’s almost an impossible schedule to keep and even harder to hire someone away from a good program anywhere to work that schedule for the money they would make in Gaston County. I’m all for high expectations, goals and work ethic but finding someone to work 6 days a week year round for 3-5k is a difficult task.

Rumors floating around that Putnam is the man. I think that is a good hire, if they can get him some coaches in the building. It is always hard to truly be successful when you have to rely fully on community volunteers.

I'll be really surprised if it is Putnam. We've talked briefly about it and he seems really happy where he is at. Seems like he is a popular pick by the EG fan base but the rumor I heard used the word "shocking" when describing the new head coach. I don't think Putnam would be considered "shocking" given his local roots. Sounds like SPRedRaider might be on to something when he said someone might be coming down the mountain. No matter who it is, they better be ready to tackle a monumental task. EG has never been able to sustain any level of success (for various reasons) no matter who the coach was (Lloyd gave it the best shot). Good luck to whomever is the latest to get the opportunity.

Both jobs come with various baggage that would have to be overcome to be successful. The Ashbrook job has also had a few guys come in recently and struggle to build a winner. You have to wonder what is the speed bump preventing success when the middle school that feeds Ashbrook has won several county championships in the last 5-7 years.

Both jobs come with various baggage that would have to be overcome to be successful. The Ashbrook job has also had a few guys come in recently and struggle to build a winner. You have to wonder what is the speed bump preventing success when the middle school that feeds Ashbrook has won several county championships in the last 5-7 years.
Top dog in Gaston County Middle School football is Southwest (Huss feeder). Grier (one of the Ashbrook feeders) has fallen off.

Top dog in Gaston County Middle School football is Southwest (Huss feeder). Grier (one of the Ashbrook feeders) has fallen off.

Southwest is supposed to feed more of fv then huss. The neighborhood around sw is all fv. Main reason for grier falling off is the coaching hire from a few years ago from my understanding. Alot of kids have transferred out of ashbrook bc of the coaching situation or have decide to just not play for the same reason. Putnam would be a great hire for either school. The talent is at both schools to be successful if they get the right guys

Rumors floating around that Putnam is the man. I think that is a good hire, if they can get him some coaches in the building. It is always hard to truly be successful when you have to rely fully on community volunteers.

Not what I have heard.... someone coming down the mountain.

I'll be really surprised if it is Putnam. We've talked briefly about it and he seems really happy where he is at. Seems like he is a popular pick by the EG fan base but the rumor I heard used the word "shocking" when describing the new head coach. I don't think Putnam would be considered "shocking" given his local roots. Sounds like SPRedRaider might be on to something when he said someone might be coming down the mountain. No matter who it is, they better be ready to tackle a monumental task. EG has never been able to sustain any level of success (for various reasons) no matter who the coach was (Lloyd gave it the best shot). Good luck to whomever is the latest to get the opportunity.

Putnam has already said on another board that it is not him.

So, since it's not him...are their any names making the rounds? I've heard 0

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT