ADVERTISEMENT

Central Carolina Conference 2020 Outlook & Predictions

Chris_Hughes

Staff
Feb 13, 2004
Ok, is it Salisbury and everyone else? Can Oak Grove contend? Ledford? Thomasville? North Davidson?

I felt that Salisbury peaked about two years early, that young but talented group of Hornets made it all the way to Wake Forest last year to face off against Shelby and I think they've got more than enough to make another deep run.

The CCC is loaded with good teams and very good coaches, so I wouldn't be shocked if someone tripped up the Hornets, but I feel that it's their title to lose.

Oak Grove will obviously be on their heels as well as Ledford, Thomasville, and North Davidson.

I don't see the mid-pack and lower-end teams changing that much either, but West Davidson could be strong enough to make some teams sweat.

These aren't my official predictions, but this could be an educated guess as to how the standings may end up.

1. Salisbury
2. Oak Grove/North Davidson/Thomasville/Ledford (I know that's the easy way out)
6. Central Davidson
7. West Davidson
8. South Rowan
9. East Davidson
10. Lexington

Honestly, I feel that first place will be a five team race, just like last year. All those teams were close to each other and beat each other up. North will have the best QB. OG will have the best running back.

Ledford always has a great defense, they need a passing game. Can Salisbury keep their defense intact? Team speed always best in the conference.

Thomasville has talent but numbers are a problem in this conference. If Coach G can get those up Tville will return to prominence, especially if they ever go back to 1A.

Will Central keep improving and break into the top half? If they can learn to play defense, yes.

West had a decent season last year but history says they stay in the bottom half regardless. They simply don't have the team speed to compete with the top programs. South Rowan and East on the same level year to year.

What the heck is going to happen with Lexington? Last season was the worst team in LSHS history. Not even close. They need Magic or something.

1. Oak Grove
2. North Davidson
3. Salisbury
4. Ledford
5. Thomasville
6. Central Davidson
7. South Rowan
8. East Davidson
9. West Davidson
10. Lexington

Reactions: SCRballer
Honestly, I feel that first place will be a five team race, just like last year. All those teams were close to each other and beat each other up. North will have the best QB. OG will have the best running back.

Ledford always has a great defense, they need a passing game. Can Salisbury keep their defense intact? Team speed always best in the conference.

Thomasville has talent but numbers are a problem in this conference. If Coach G can get those up Tville will return to prominence, especially if they ever go back to 1A.

Will Central keep improving and break into the top half? If they can learn to play defense, yes.

West had a decent season last year but history says they stay in the bottom half regardless. They simply don't have the team speed to compete with the top programs. South Rowan and East on the same level year to year.

What the heck is going to happen with Lexington? Last season was the worst team in LSHS history. Not even close. They need Magic or something.

1. Oak Grove
2. North Davidson
3. Salisbury
4. Ledford
5. Thomasville
6. Central Davidson
7. South Rowan
8. East Davidson
9. West Davidson
10. Lexington
One of the biggest challenges for Thomasville will be that they may have had very little exposure to their new coach and his system when the season starts. If everything kicks off August 1, like many think, that’s not a lot of time. He may be forced to change very little from Doug’s system from last year. He also won’t have much chance to increase the numbers.
Glad we have a veteran staff that can adapt.

CCC thoughts.

Oak Grove- I’d say still champ til someone beats them. With the return of their workhorse at running back they will be a tough team. Losing their OC to the college ranks will be a tough replace but I’m sure Holcomb can handle it.

North Davidson- someone mentioned the QB but they will also have the beat WR in the area. They have tradition and pride that the kids believe in.

Ledford- they will miss Coach Cline but Coach Adams always has his kids physically ready, and has had good JV teams last few years.

Salisbury- was a good team last year and got hot late. Their defense was top notch and will be interesting to see how they replace last years CCC DEF POY.

Thomasville- losing Coach Robertson is huge. I know Coach Gillespie is a food coach but Robertson always found a way to get his kids rolling by seasons end.

Central- vastly improved football team. Coach Trivett probably was my choice for coach of year. Interested to see them this season and I wouldn’t be shocked to see them beat one of the previous 5 mentioned.

East Davidson- Mighty struggles last season for the Eagles but Hanner knows the school and the kids and had a good JV squad last year. They will be better.

South Rowan- Losing a good QB. If Chrismon returns for senior year he will be a threat.

West Davidson- Losing a lot from last years team and JV struggled.

Lexington- I’m afraid many kids will jumps ship. They lost several kids last year to other schools in county. If the Qb had stayed and not landed at ND they would have been better, but he kept ND alive when they lost their starter. Wouldn’t be shock to see the AD Beverly be the head coach as well. Rumor has it he has wanted both roles for awhile. Doesn’t look good in Jacket land.

Coach G offense will be very close to Robertson’s offense due to the fact that coach Bagemary was using Coach G’s offense. He coached under Coach G T page.

Prep, they haven’t hired a coach yet have they? Have they even named an interim?

I check the local paper nearly every day to see if they’ve named anyone. At this point, I haven’t seen any indication that they’ve even appointed an interim. They are doing a disservice to their athletes, but I am not surprised.

Coach G offense will be very close to Robertson’s offense due to the fact that coach Bagemary was using Coach G’s offense. He coached under Coach G T page.
Good point, proteem. Welcome aboard for the comment section:).

I think the CCC has four tiers.

Tier 1: Salisbury, OG, and Ledford
Tier 2: ND, THS, and CD
Tier 3: ED, WD, and SR
Tier 4: LSHS

Tier 1: The top four could finish in any order. Salisbury is a passing game away from being a complete team capable of of winning it all. Watching them play Shelby in the title game last December, I thought the Hornets matched up well with the Lions athlete-for-athlete. I'm not sure OG replicates their 8-1 mark in conference even though they may be better overall. Ledford will be a solid, if unspectacular, team that will not beat themselves.

Tier 2: I place ND, THS and CD in the same tier for a couple of reasons. First, ND seems to be at a crossroads. After playing the '17 and '18 seasons with ADM's at 1300 and 1144, they recorded 991 for the '19 year. Without the extra enrollment and playing among equals, is ND the program pre-OG, or, are they the 2019 7-6 version? Granted, their losses in 2019 were by 7, 11, 6, 3, 11, and 21. A few plays here and there and they may have finished 10-3?

Second, the unknown of the coaching change at THS. While Gillispie is a known commodity and has the pelts on the wall, transitions are rarely easy. Add in the current situation with dead periods and it creates an unknown. Terminology and philosophy may be the same but what about the "how"? How will the teaching component unfold with limited accessibility so far? How will the players respond to another coaching change?

Third, CD is a program I respect for what they have traveled through in recent years. Coach Trivett and his staff have rebuilt that program into respectability. Overcoming 22 straight losses and going 1-32 in his first three years (with very few players) to get them to 6-5 (and healthy participation numbers) last year is an accomplishment.

Tier 3: ED, WD, and SR are in many ways reflections of one another. All three will put a good fight, place a scare in someone for a while before limitations emerge. I would like to see one or two of them make a move into solid tier 3 status for the kids sake.

Tier 4: I don't think anything needs to be said about Lexington. The situation there is a shame.

Did I hear right that Gillespie is going to have both Alan Brown and Dickie Cline on staff at TVille? If so, watch out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT