ADVERTISEMENT

CCC

Fox2XYHook

Nov 28, 2013
The Central Carolina Conference underwent changes this realignment. Moved to the 3A classification are Central Davidson Ledford, Oak Grove, North Davidson and South Rowan. Newcomers to the conference are North Rowan and South Davidson. The conference is now a 7-team split 1A/2A with 2A members being East Davidson, Lexington, Salisbury, and West Davidson with 1A members North Rowan, Thomasville, and South Davidson. The conference, in my opinion, is four-tier's.

Tier One
Salisbury: Without question the favorite to win the conference. Coming of a state championship there is no shortage of talent or coaching for the Hornets. Even with graduation losses from last year's title team, they are the team to beat. Will they have an off-night in conference? Maybe. But not likely. They are the most stable program in the conference.

Tier Two
THS: THS enters year two of Coach Gillespie and staff. They completed the spring with a 3-3 record. They won they games they should have while losing to conference leaders ND, OG, and Ledford. They lost those three games by a combined 28 points with the loss to ND consuming 18 of those points. They did not play Salisbury in the spring. They defeated Lexington and South Rowan and received a forfeit win against ED who had cancel due to COVID. After Salisbury, they are the leader of the pack in regards to the rest of the conference. THS-SHS on 09/17 could determine the conference depending on the improvement THS continues to make.

NRHS: The Cavaliers are also in the second year of a coaching change. Nygel Pearson and staff led the Cavaliers through the spring to finish 5-3 overall after a second round defeat to Polk County. NRHS previously played in the Yadkin Valley 1A and, even though this is a split conference, games against THS and SHS will prove challenging. Could they upset either one of the conference leaders? They play THS on 09/24 in Thomasville and close the season at Salisbury on 10/29.

Tier Three
EDHS: ED limped to a 2-5 finish last year with a young team in the first year of a new offense. Coach Hanner is conference's elder statesman approaching 10 years over two stints as the head coach of the Eagles. ED has had pockets of success but has been unable to find something sustainable. Could this be the year they make a jump into Tier Two? Might they pull an upset somewhere along the way?

WDHS: After the retirement of Coach Lingerfelt, the Dragons have a new coach in Brian Billings. Will the Dragons continue their tradition of tough, physical play in the trenches? They have always been a well-coached team lacking an explosive element to them. To their credit, they know their identity and play to it.

Tier Four
Lexington: Year 2 under head coach Eric Brown and staff. While the Yellow Jackets did not score a win during the spring. However, one observer noted that the team was the most disciplined LSHS squad they had seen in some years. If Coach Brown can build on that foundation and have time to grow the program LSHS could make their way up the tiers in the next couple of years. For now, they have to build little-by-little.

SDHS: SDHS will continue to be SDHS until something changes. As of now, they play hard but lack the athletes and the volume of players to be competitive most nights.

Predicted Final Conference Standings
1. SHS (6-0)
2. THS (5-1)
3. NRHS (4-2)
4. EDHS (3-3)
5. WDHS (2-4)
6. LSHS (1-5)
7. SDHS (0-6)

Would posters of these schools give the turnout for your school (JV and varsity)? Numbers will play a big role in this league.

Fox, I think you have the teams in about the right order, but it really is just Salisbury and everyone else. I feel real bad for a few of these teams having to face the Hornets, it'll be a running clock before the game even starts! (Or at least it should be)

No way SD should be in this conference. That Salisbury game just makes me cringe at the thought of it

Indeed. They should have put them in that weird conference with Carver/Forsyth schools and those private schools. Granted the travel would hurt their pockets they would stand a better chance vs those schools especially Christ the King and Bishop. This league will be a murder's row for them week in and out.

Indeed. They should have put them in that weird conference with Carver/Forsyth schools and those private schools. Granted the travel would hurt their pockets they would stand a better chance vs those schools especially Christ the King and Bishop. This league will be a murder's row for them week in and out.
I agree about aligning them with schools like that conference, but a conference of that make up and travel should never exist. NCHSAA has done an injustice to all these schools. I still can’t believe WSFCS did nothing. No one should ever complain about conference realignment again after looking at this conference.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Well north and oak grove weren’t in the CCC nearly as long as I thought they would be.

No way SD should be in this conference. That Salisbury game just makes me cringe at the thought of it

Salisbury 6-0
Thomasville 5-1
NR 4-2
WD 3-3
ED 2-4
Lex 1-5
SD 0-6

Rumor is SD will barely field a varsity team. ED and Lexington may not have a JV. I want to see how the SD/Lex game comes out. Could go either way but Lex should have too much team speed to lose that game.

Salisbury 6-0
Thomasville 5-1
NR 4-2
WD 3-3
ED 2-4
Lex 1-5
SD 0-6

Rumor is SD will barely field a varsity team. ED and Lexington may not have a JV. I want to see how the SD/Lex game comes out. Could go either way but Lex should have too much team speed to lose that game.
Lot of teams are struggling with jv numbers

I know they have moved up to 3A now but saw in The Dispatch yesterday where Oak Grove had 100 players come out the first day of practice.

• Haha
I was just looking on NC Maxpreps and as of now it looks as if my Golden Eagles have only 25 players on the roster this year for Varsity. I just hope that we can stay healthy with what we have.

Fox, I think you have the teams in about the right order, but it really is just Salisbury and everyone else. I feel real bad for a few of these teams having to face the Hornets, it'll be a running clock before the game even starts! (Or at least it should be)

While I want the Bulldogs to beat Salisbury and everyone on the schedule with a CCC title, playing for November and winning during the playoffs is more important. 1A west going to be tough with North Roman, ER, and the mountain teams.

I agree about aligning them with schools like that conference, but a conference of that make up and travel should never exist. NCHSAA has done an injustice to all these schools. I still can’t believe WSFCS did nothing. No one should ever complain about conference realignment again after looking at this conference.
WSFCS only cares about the 4A schools. All about the $$$.

I know they have moved up to 3A now but saw in The Dispatch yesterday where Oak Grove had 100 players come out the first day of practice.

Yeah, OG the new money school in Davidson county. They're going to recruit the whole county year in and year out.😂

While I want the Bulldogs to beat Salisbury and everyone on the schedule with a CCC title, playing for November and winning during the playoffs is more important. 1A west going to be tough with North Roman, ER, and the mountain teams.
Salisbury is going to be tough to beat. They have a solid team year in and year out. Their defense was lights out last season. They will run through this conference with no problems whatsoever.

Yeah, OG the new money school in Davidson county. They're going to recruit the whole county year in and year out.😂
In the 70’s, Thomasville had 1000 students and regularly 100-135 out for football. Coach Cushwa had to cut players. The district lines are slightly larger (frozen in 1983). Isn‘t it amazing how people with children chose to move outside the school district? And for those who say it’s about educational quality, hogwash! Two of mine graduated in the last decade and were very well educated.
The legislature needs to reverse that decision and make the city limits and school district lines coterminous. Not holding my breath.

In the 70’s, Thomasville had 1000 students and regularly 100-135 out for football. Coach Cushwa had to cut players. The district lines are slightly larger (frozen in 1983). Isn‘t it amazing how people with children chose to move outside the school district? And for those who say it’s about educational quality, hogwash! Two of mine graduated in the last decade and were very well educated.
The legislature needs to reverse that decision and make the city limits and school district lines coterminous. Not holding my breath.
I don’t disagree with you at all on the city-limit idea. But what would you propose in the case where Thomasville has annexed East Davidson High School? How would that work?

I don’t disagree with you at all on the city-limit idea. But what would you propose in the case where Thomasville has annexed East Davidson High School? How would that work?
The school would, of course, still be a part of Davidson County Schools. As would Pilot, Fairgrove and Brown. They would still draw from their district areas outside the city limits.
Or, the two systems could reach an agreement for kids within a certain geographic distance. Much like what Lexington and DCS. have. I agree that it would be ridiculous for a kid across the street from East to go to Thomasville. But that’s exactly what you have in several parts of Thomasville, except in reverse.
It might not have totally removed the need to build Oak Grove, but would have reduced the population of Hasty and Ledford Middle and High Schools quite a bit.
You and I both know none of that will ever happen. A merger with objective redistricting is slightly more likely, but that won’t happen either. There are too many people who don’t want their kids going to school with those black and brown kids.
Eventually, the systems will probably merge, by legislative fiat. And there will be no meaningful redistricting. Thomasville and Lexington will continue to lose out. And Lawson Brown is up there smiling.

The school would, of course, still be a part of Davidson County Schools. As would Pilot, Fairgrove and Brown. They would still draw from their district areas outside the city limits.
Or, the two systems could reach an agreement for kids within a certain geographic distance. Much like what Lexington and DCS. have. I agree that it would be ridiculous for a kid across the street from East to go to Thomasville. But that’s exactly what you have in several parts of Thomasville, except in reverse.
It might not have totally removed the need to build Oak Grove, but would have reduced the population of Hasty and Ledford Middle and High Schools quite a bit.
You and I both know none of that will ever happen. A merger with objective redistricting is slightly more likely, but that won’t happen either. There are too many people who don’t want their kids going to school with those black and brown kids.
Eventually, the systems will probably merge, by legislative fiat. And there will be no meaningful redistricting. Thomasville and Lexington will continue to lose out. And Lawson Brown is up there smiling.
On the bright side, the Dogs looked good last night in that scrimmage. Team speed and line size versus the last several years is obvious. The scrimmage against Ledford Friday night should give a better indication of where the Dogs truly stand.

ED, Lexington, NR and SD not having a JV team sucks for the younger kids not getting reps and playing time to prepare for Friday nights on varsity. What is going on other than laziness, lack of interest and covid that schools are not fielding a JV team or barely fielding a varsity team?

True, my mom graduated from Thomasville in 72. She told me the school was 3A back then, which feels weird giving the numbers nowadays.

Never understood the education quality thing. When I moved to Winston, some friends wanted my to go to Tabor because it was where the educated kids go. Carver was the football school with thugs or something.... yet, I graduated as a Yellow Jacket went into working as a programmer. My brother played DE on the 91' championship team and went into medicine becoming a doctor in pathology. Plenty more from both schools doing well with their careers. Its more about parents upbringing, individuals ambition, and goals.

On the bright side, the Dogs looked good last night in that scrimmage. Team speed and line size versus the last several years is obvious. The scrimmage against Ledford Friday night should give a better indication of where the Dogs truly stand.

ED, Lexington, NR and SD not having a JV team sucks for the younger kids not getting reps and playing time to prepare for Friday nights on varsity. What is going on other than laziness, lack of interest and covid that schools are not fielding a JV team or barely fielding a varsity team?

That's great to hear. Where will the scrimmage be held?

Why not get rid of your city schools and let thomasville and Lexington kids go to the county schools, including the over 20% at Thomasville that are white? Would solve your problems and believe it or not a lot of people like to live outside city, of all colors. Problem solved

Why not get rid of your city schools and let thomasville and Lexington kids go to the county schools, including the over 20% at Thomasville that are white? Would solve your problems and believe it or not a lot of people like to live outside city, of all colors. Problem solved
Are you suggesting shutting down the four existing city school buildings and putting 2300 more students into existing county school buildings? Or 2500 in Lexington?
If not, it’s a merger as I mentioned previously.
And four of those county schools, and many of their students are already in the city limits.

Now that the regular season has concluded, we can look back on the CCC race. I adjusted the conference from 4 tiers to 3.

Tier One
Salisbury, as expected, ran the table. They outscored CCC opponents 356-27 with 4 shutouts in the last 4 games.

Tier Two
Prior to the season, I had THS and NRHS as Tier Two teams. By virtue of the win against THS, EDHS moved into Tier Two as the three teams finished in a 3-way tie for second at 4-2.

Tier Three
WDHS, SDHS, and LSHS complete the bottom tier. SDHS probably did more with less than the other two. No matter how it is cut, these three teams were abysmal.

From the preliminary brackets, it looks like in 2A Salisbury will be a 6 -seed and EDHS will be a 22-seed. In 1A, THS will be a 6-seed, with NRHS a 12, and SDHS a 30.

Crazy to see South Davidson in the playoffs! Really was glad to see ED beat them Dogs again I was at the game for first time they beat them in their history. Unfortunately ED going to continue history of never winning a playoff game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT