ADVERTISEMENT

CCC Girls

NCprepbball

Dec 10, 2016
As usual, the Central Carolina Conf will be loaded in girl's basketball. It will be hard to predict the conference outcome...

Ledford- Returns the POY in Lyrik Thorne, but will have to replace the other four starters. McCall Denny is out with an injury. Ledford always brings a competitive squad.
Salisbury- Returns Bryanna Troutman and Fusion. Troutman missed out in the playoffs due to an injury. They will miss 3 point shooter, Capito, but return 4 starters.
East Davidson- Lost the conferences best shooter in Anders, but returns Skylar Grubb. East doesn't wow you athletically, but always plays well for Don Corry.
West Davidson- Have made huge strides and will most likely surprise some teams. Hayley Lowe helps them inside/outside. Returns their pt guard after reinjuring her knee last year.
South Rowan- Returns Janiya Downs, who is a nightmare to guard. South will have to replace their other four starters due to graduation and transfers.
North Davidson- May show improvement with freshman Emily Hege.
Lexington- Returns all five starters and should improve their record from last year. Harvin should be their consistent player.
Oak Grove- Should be improved from last year, as they return all players. Won the programs first game the other day.
TV/CD- Should finish at the bottom. Tville lost Dee Long who avg. 25 ppg.

It would not surprise me to see Ledford, Salisbury, East, West, S Rowan and North beat up on each other.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
That's the first thing I thought when I read the scores the other day. Great wins for North Davidson and Lexington. Especially ND. That was quite a debut for Hege.

The CCC might actually be one of the toughest conferences in the state (regardless of classification).

So far, the conference looks loaded.
North beat a talented East Surry squad and are 3-0. Freshman Emily Hege is lighting up the stats sheet. They may be the most improved team.
Salisbury looks tough again. They've added a talented fresh to the group. May be the strongest in the conf.
I was a little shocked that Ledford appeared to struggle against Randleman. They may struggle if Thorne doesn't have enough help surrounding her.
The East/S Rowan game looked like a good one. South Rowan winning by one.
West is 2-0 and have three girls avg. over 15ppg. Should be able to compete with the top teams.
Lexington is 4-0, however, they have not played any competition. I believe they will be improved, but not sure if they'll finish in the top tier.
Oak Grove appears to be improved and should be somewhat competitive.

It's hard to pick the finish, but I can see Sal, Ledford, East, S Rowan, West and North all beating up on each other.

North beat a talented East Surry squad and are 3-0. Freshman Emily Hege is lighting up the stats sheet. They may be the most improved team.
Salisbury looks tough again. They've added a talented fresh to the group. May be the strongest in the conf.
I was a little shocked that Ledford appeared to struggle against Randleman. They may struggle if Thorne doesn't have enough help surrounding her.
West is 2-0 and have three girls avg. over 15ppg. Should be able to compete with the top teams.
Lexington is 4-0, however, they have not played any competition. I believe they will be improved, but not sure if they'll finish in the top tier.

It's hard to pick the finish, but I can see Sal, Ledford, East, S Rowan, West and North all beating up on each other.

South Rowan/East Davidson was a good game. The game was decided in the last few seconds when the ref decided to call a foul at the end of the game on a player from East Davidson. Not exactly the way to decide the outcome of a game.

South Rowan/East Davidson was a good game. The game was decided in the last few seconds when the ref decided to call a foul at the end of the game on a player from East Davidson. Not exactly the way to decide the outcome of a game.
Didn’t see the game. Was it not a foul? If it was, it should be called any time from the opening tip until the final horn. When an official swallows his or her whistle in the last few seconds...that’s when the official is deciding the game, not the players. But most fans seem to think the last few seconds should be a free for all.

Didn’t see the game. Was it not a foul? If it was, it should be called any time from the opening tip until the final horn. When an official swallows his or her whistle in the last few seconds...that’s when the official is deciding the game, not the players. But most fans seem to think the last few seconds should be a free for all.

From what I understand, it was a foul but it was called on the wrong player. IMO, I just think it is terrible when you have the outcome of a game decided in that manner. Once again, just my opinion. I know everyone has one.

From what I understand, it was a foul but it was called on the wrong player. IMO, I just think it is terrible when you have the outcome of a game decided in that manner. Once again, just my opinion. I know everyone has one.
Gotcha. Not trying to give you a hard time. It’s just always bothered me that most fans think the rules change in the last minute of the game. It’s kinda like the folks who complain about a “late call”. The question is whether it’s the right call.
I officiated for a lot of years and always respected my partner more for making the right call in the last few seconds than for swallowing his whistle to avoid criticism for “deciding the outcome”. Not blowing the whistle when you know it should be called is when you’re deciding the outcome.

North Davidson looked good this summer, the freshman guard can really play. They beat East Surry in the season opener but I don’t think ES was at full strength, missing 1 starter and the N.C. State commit went down in the 1st quarter and didn’t return. North Davidson will make some noise though in the CCC.

As expected, the CCC is tough. 7 of the 10 teams are in the top 25, in the latest 2A Maxpreps ratings. Going into the Christmas break, the standings are:

Salisbury 6-0
S Rowan 4-1
E Davidson 4-1
Ledford 3-2
W Davidson 3-3
N Davidson 2-2
Lexington 2-3
Oak Grove 1-4
C Davidson 1-5
Thomasville 0-5

Salisbury is standing out at this point.
S Rowan has wins over East, Ledford and North, but was blown out by West, by 40 points.
I hear that McCall Denny may be back for Ledford next month, which will give Ledford a huge boost. They are really lacking support for Thorne.
East is showing consistency as usual.
West had solid wins over North and S Rowan, but then was beaten by Ledford.
Teams 2-7, as expected, will probably beat up on each other.
There are numerous players in the conference going for 25+ points on any given night.
My top ten players to watch so far:
Sal- Troutman and Fulson
SR- Downs
ED- Grubb and Grimsley
Led- Thorne
WD- Lowe and Clontz
ND- Hege
Lex- Harvin

The CCC girls are looking pretty even, at almost the halfway point (conference records):
Salisbury 7-1
S Rowan 6-1
E Davidson 5-2
W Davidson 5-3
Ledford 5-3
N Davidson 3-3
Lexington 4-5
Thomasville 1-6
Oak Grove 1-7
Central Davidson 1-7

This has to by far be the toughest 2A conference in the state. 6/10 teams in Maxpreps top 25. I hope the NCHSAA doesn't penalize the conference for having ten teams like they did last year. Lexington could easily win the conference in many of the other 2A conferences.

The conference season is halfway over and just the conf standings are as follow:
Salisbury 11-1
S Rowan 10-2
Ledford 9-3
E Davidson 9-4
W Davidson 7-5
N Davidson 5-7
Lexington 5-8
Thomasville 2-9
Oak Grove 2-11
C Davidson 1-11

Still a lot of big games ahead. I look for Salisbury to finish at first, but 2-4/5 is up for grabs.
Ledford has shown improvement with Denny returning to the lineup.
Looks like West's pt guard hurt her knee again and has been out for a few games.
Ledford's Thorne and SR Down's recently scored their 2000 career points.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
The conference season is halfway over and just the conf standings are as follow:
Salisbury 11-1
S Rowan 10-2
Ledford 9-3
E Davidson 9-4
W Davidson 7-5
N Davidson 5-7
Lexington 5-8
Thomasville 2-9
Oak Grove 2-11
C Davidson 1-11

Still a lot of big games ahead. I look for Salisbury to finish at first, but 2-4/5 is up for grabs.
Ledford has shown improvement with Denny returning to the lineup.
Looks like West's pt guard hurt her knee again and has been out for a few games.
Ledford's Thorne and SR Down's recently scored their 2000 career points.

How many teams from the CCC do you think will make the state playoffs?

I saw South Rowan play last night. They’d better enjoy the heck out of this season. Every last drop of talent that they have is graduating this year. Plus, they are paper thin, barely any reserves.

*Assuming the school still exists in the coming years.

Why would SR now exist in the coming years? Rumblings about North Rowan but that has been delayed for at least a few more years.

I think it will exist. But the scuttle is that South Rowan has been mentioned in the closings. I don’t think for a second that they’ll close it, but chatter is chatter.

It is going to take an EXTREMELY gutsy school board to even close North Rowan, which is probably warranted. I don’t like the idea of closing it, but with 550 kids and losing more each year... It makes sense.
Give them to Salisbury. Then free South Rowan up to go to that conference with W. Stanly.

1 Salisbury 14-2
2 Ledford 13-3
3 S Rowan 11-5
3 E Davidson 11-5
5 W Davidson 10-6
6 N Davidson 8-8
7 Lexington 7-9
8 Tv 2-13
9 Oak Grove 2-14
10 C Davidson 1-14

Ledford is surging winning 7 in a row and beating Salisbury this week.
S Rowan has lost 3 of their last 4.
West has had bad luck with injuries and may have lost another starter (3 for the year), leaving them with 7 players.
Lexington is pushing through at the end of the year.
Should be a very interesting CCC tournament.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I think it will exist. But the scuttle is that South Rowan has been mentioned in the closings. I don’t think for a second that they’ll close it, but chatter is chatter.

It is going to take an EXTREMELY gutsy school board to even close North Rowan, which is probably warranted. I don’t like the idea of closing it, but with 550 kids and losing more each year... It makes sense.
Give them to Salisbury. Then free South Rowan up to go to that conference with W. Stanly.
Do you think the Davidson County school board decision to eliminate waivers will have any impact on athletics?
I realize that waivers are supposedly not granted for sports, but that can be pretty subjective. Just curious as to your take.

Do you think the Davidson County school board decision to eliminate waivers will have any impact on athletics?
I realize that waivers are supposedly not granted for sports, but that can be pretty subjective. Just curious as to your take.

I’m sure the ones that are crafty will still find a way around. Today at the wrestling regionals, Ledford has 3 kids on their team that belong to Oak Grove. But parents with means will find a way. I know of an Oak Grove kid whose parents bought another house (300K) in order to keep their MIDDLE SCHOOL girl at North Davidson. They don’t even live in it! (And moderately talented girl at that). With paper thin staffing, its going to be hard to send someone out there to check them out to catch them.

It probably will have an impact. I think South Davidson will get some kids that would have gone to East or Central.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT