ADVERTISEMENT

CCC 2A Girl's BBall Predictions

NCprepbball

Dec 10, 2016
The CCC 2A is always a competitive girls basketball conference. This year I don't see any state contenders, but should be a deep conference. There's not much disparity between the top 7 teams. Many of the top players from last year graduated (4 1,000 scorers graduated).
My predictions:
1- Salisbury- Lost vers Bryanna Troutman, but returns pt guard Fulson and 3 pt shooter McCullough. Coaches daughter will be a fresh and should add some talent as well. Athletic team.
2- N Davidson- North should make large gains. Soph Emily Hege will probably be the strongest pt guard in the conference and has had a strong summer, but others will need to step up.
3- W Davidson- West has made huge strides the last few years. Haley Lowe should be one of the top players. She's a vers 5-10 that avg a double-double last year. Had a hard time keeping players healthy last year.
4- Thomasville- TV returns their stronger players and made strides with their new coach. May shock some teams.
4- East- East returns only one starter off last years team and will most likely have a down year. Grubbs is a tough ball handler and decent shooter.
4- Ledford- Thorne graduated and left Ledford as the 13th highest scorer in the NCHSAA, they also lost their aggressive post player Denny. Ledford always puts a decent team on the floor and have strong players coming up from their middle school, but may have a down year for Ledford standards.
4- Lexington- Harvin finally graduated. Lex does return Bray, Owens and McIntosh, but will lack in guard play.
8- Oak Grove- Will finally have seniors on this years team. Made progress last year, but I still see them at the bottom.
9- S Rowan- Lost do-it-all Janiya Downs. She avg 32 points last year. Will return soph Rymer, who had a decent year as a fresh.
10- C Davidson- Should be another down year.

Salisbury will be tough. I believe in addition to that one fresh mentioned they have a couple more coming in that can play if I’m not mistaken. May be some growing pains this year at the varsity level but looking nothing but upside for a couple of years

It’s been a while since North finished that high, if my memory serves... You’re absolutely right though. Hege can’t do it all. If no one steps up, this team is no better than 4th.

As always, I pull for my Golden Eagles but this year is shaping up to be a tough season. When you graduate talent that East has had over the last 3 years or so (Madi Hallman, Bayley Plummer, Brooke Anders, Bailey Grimsley) that is hard to recover from. I think Skylar Grubb will have a good season but everyone else needs to step up in a huge way.

Does East have any freshman this year? Looks like they only return Skylar from last years team that had quality minutes.

Does East have any freshman this year? Looks like they only return Skylar from last years team that had quality minutes.

NCprepbball, from what I understand there were three upcoming freshmen that were pretty good at the middle school suppose to be playing. However, one of the three decided to focus on volleyball instead. Skylar is the only returning starter from last year's team with quality minutes. It looks like she will have to carry the bulk of the scoring for the Golden Eagles this season.

It’s been a while since North finished that high, if my memory serves... You’re absolutely right though. Hege can’t do it all. If no one steps up, this team is no better than 4th.
You are dead wrong. North is young but very talented!!

North looks strong. I still think Salisbury is the favorite. It will be interesting to see who takes places 3-6. W Davidson, Ledford, Oak Grove and Central should all be pretty comparable. Central is somewhat of a surprise, as is OG. West was without their best player for their first few games due to an injury and Ledford is always competitive. They have some good underclassmen.
So far Lexington and TV have been a little of a disappointment. East and S Rowan will fight out for the bottom two slots.

North looks strong. I still think Salisbury is the favorite. It will be interesting to see who takes places 3-6. W Davidson, Ledford, Oak Grove and Central should all be pretty comparable. Central is somewhat of a surprise, as is OG. West was without their best player for their first few games due to an injury and Ledford is always competitive. They have some good underclassmen.
So far Lexington and TV have been a little of a disappointment. East and S Rowan will fight out for the bottom two slots.

East is really struggling this year. The only returning starter is Skylar Grubb. Pretty sad when your PG is the only person in the starting lineup that knows the fundamentals of basketball. This is not coming from me but from a person who has been to all of the games. My Golden Eagles have had some great players come through over the past several years in Madi Hallman, Bayley Plummer, Brooke Anders, Bailey Grimsley, Brook Jones just to name several. When you lose that kind of talent, that is very hard to recover from.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
You are dead wrong. North is young but very talented!!

I’m wrong... but I’m not completely wrong. Apparently Hege has some help. If you read what I said, I said if she had to do it alone, ND is no better than 4th.

Apparently she isn’t having to do it alone. And that is a good thing. I would enjoy seeing them finish ahead of Ledford this year!

Current standings (conference records as of 12/19)

Salisbury 5-0
North Davidson 5-0
Ledford 4-1
West Davidson 3-2
Central Davidson 3-2
Oak Grove 2-3
Lexington 1-4
Thomasville 1-4
South Rowan 1-4
East Davidson 0-5

North should beat Ledford. Ledford’s not nearly as strong as usual. They do have a strong outside shooter that’s just a fresh, but they lack in post play.
Hege is a great player, but one player to watch is Haley Lowe, at West. She’s probably the most versatile player in the conference. She was injured at the beginning of the season.

Updated standings before Xmas:
Salisbury 6-0
N Davidson 6-0
W Davidson 4-2
Ledford 4-2
C Davidson 4-2
Oak Grove 2-4
Thomasville 2-4
Lexington 1-5
S Rowan 1-5
E Davidson 0-6

At the rate my Golden Eagles are going, it would not surprise me to see them finish up 0-23 this year. Pretty sad when you have only one player that understands the all around fundamentals of the game (starting PG). Also hearing rumors that this may be the coaches final season as well.

Bad news for N Davidson, as their rebounding machine, Courtney McMillian is out for the year. I hate that for her and the team. She was the difference maker, Hege scores 20-25 every game, but McMillian would have a double double every game. They struggled against Central last night.
Salisbury 7-0
N Davidson 7-0
W Davidson 5-2
Ledford 5-2
C Davidson 4-3
Oak Grove 2-5
Tville 2-5
S Rowan 2-5
Lexington 1-6
E Davidson 0-7

I would say 2nd place is up for grabs between West, North, Ledford, Central and Oak Grove.
West finally has everyone healthy as they had another starter out last week. Ledford looks like they are starting to peak.

Bad news for N Davidson, as their rebounding machine, Courtney McMillian is out for the year. I hate that for her and the team. She was the difference maker, Hege scores 20-25 every game, but McMillian would have a double double every game. They struggled against Central last night.
Salisbury 7-0
N Davidson 7-0
W Davidson 5-2
Ledford 5-2
C Davidson 4-3
Oak Grove 2-5
Tville 2-5
S Rowan 2-5
Lexington 1-6
E Davidson 0-7

I would say 2nd place is up for grabs between West, North, Ledford, Central and Oak Grove.
West finally has everyone healthy as they had another starter out last week. Ledford looks like they are starting to peak.
Losing Courtney is huge. She played hard especially on the boards. North has talent but may really suffer on the boards. If opponents get 15 more shots a game it becomes tough.

After the first round of conference play:
1- Salisbury 9-0
2- N Davidson 7-2
2- W Davidson 7-2
2- Ledford 7-2
5- C Davidson 5-4
6- Tville 4-5
7- Oak Grove 3-6
8- S Rowan 2-7
9- Lexington 1-8
10- E Davidson 0-9

North has lost their last two games without McMillian.
Ledford has won 6 straight games after what was thought to be a down year after Thorne’s graduation. A down year for Ledford, is a great year for most other teams.
When West has all their players healthy, their a tough team to beat.
Lexington is a little bit of a disappointment with the athletes they have.
I can’t recall the last time East was at the very bottom of the standings.

Should be an interesting second round of games.

After the first round of conference play:
1- Salisbury 9-0
2- N Davidson 7-2
2- W Davidson 7-2
2- Ledford 7-2
5- C Davidson 5-4
6- Tville 4-5
7- Oak Grove 3-6
8- S Rowan 2-7
9- Lexington 1-8
10- E Davidson 0-9

North has lost their last two games without McMillian.
Ledford has won 6 straight games after what was thought to be a down year after Thorne’s graduation. A down year for Ledford, is a great year for most other teams.
When West has all their players healthy, their a tough team to beat.
Lexington is a little bit of a disappointment with the athletes they have.
I can’t recall the last time East was at the very bottom of the standings.

Should be an interesting second round of games.

This year has been a very disappointing year for my Golden Eagles. I have said it before and I will say it again it is pretty sad when only one player (starting PG) knows the fundamentals of the game. The most recent game against Oak Grove they lost 64-21. I told one of the parents over the weekend that it was not too long ago when we were scoring 21 in a quarter. That is the type of drop off in talent that we are talking about at East. Rumors are circling that this may be the last year that the current head coach serves at East. I have my own thoughts about that particular subject but I will keep them to myself. Out of the whole situation the two individuals I feel sorry for the most are the two seniors. To have to go out like this on your senior season is really difficult and frustrating. I keep hoping that they will at some point turn the corner but I just don't see it happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT