ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic finishes 16-0, wins 5th state title

CatholicCougs14

Jan 4, 2013
Wanted to enjoy the win last night before posting anything. Never do I take for granted state title wins and I was enjoying this one...and still am.
First off, congratulations to Havelock they had a great season and have an awesome coach and team. They are a class program and they'll be back.
The game itself was probably one of the most unique title games ever being played in the snow the whole time.
Catholic's first drive was dominant, including a 4th down conversion and taking 6:17 off the clock. Ball control was going to be key and CC dominated on that front.
Havelock would answer with an equally impressive drive to knot the score at 7. Catholic would respond right back with a Chris Walton sneak from the 1.
The game turned towards Catholic when they stopped Havelock on 4th down in CC territory. Catholic could've been up 20-7 at half, but holding penalties and a drop TD pass in the endzone on what looked like a tipped ball prevented it.
Second half after Havelock scored to make it 14-13 was all CC. Lamagae McDowell bulled in from 5 yards out, then on the same play got the 2pt conversion to make it 21-14.
Catholic would again stop Havelock this time in their own territory and put the game away on another Lamagae McDowell run to make it 28-14.
Interesting stat: Catholic was stopped only once by Havelock, the half ran out on them then a pick in the endzone with 30 seconds left.
What a season though. To start missing several defensive starters and still beating powerhouse Charlotte Christian told me this team was special.
A fifth state title for Catholic in their fifth different classification. Yes, for those wondering I agree with seadog this is the best Catholic team of all time.
However, I'm going to enjoy this one and in about 2 weeks I'll want it to be August again!
Go Cougars! Can you stop that Red Machine?!?! I'll answer that for you...HELL NO!

Last edited:
Congrats on the win!! Was a great game. As seadog said, this is the best Catholic team I have seen in the last 7 years. When we scrimmaged ya'll down at Hough in August, I said then that CC would be 3A State Champs for 2017.
Havelock has a very good team and if it had been anyone else other than CC, they would be celebrating. Those pulling guards for CC was too much for Havelock and it hurt them.

Reactions: seadog28
People not familiar with Christian have no idea how good of a product they put on the field or the quality of their program. Great team fir Catholic to play non conference.

People not familiar with Christian have no idea how good of a product they put on the field or the quality of their program. Great team fir Catholic to play non conference.
Yes, QB had an Alabama offer a junior and RB is a Stanford commit...they have other D1 players too.

CC

I am with you. I have seen this team play a couple of time and the execution of the defense was awesome. However, best of all time. Not s fast... You are not old enough to have experienced the 77 team which was so dominate especially in the playoffs. They ony had one scare which was rival country day. Last game of the that year was against a solid harding team coached by the legendary Bruce Harding. It was 35-0 before the dogs were called off. No running clock in those days.

That was a long time ago. Again, I will say the team defense that these guys played was one of the best I have ever seen. They really battle.

CC

I am with you. I have seen this team play a couple of time and the execution of the defense was awesome. However, best of all time. Not s fast... You are not old enough to have experienced the 77 team which was so dominate especially in the playoffs. They ony had one scare which was rival country day. Last game of the that year was against a solid harding team coached by the legendary Bruce Harding. It was 35-0 before the dogs were called off. No running clock in those days.

That was a long time ago. Again, I will say the team defense that these guys played was one of the best I have ever seen. They really battle.
You bring up a fair point. I've seen every game of 2004 and 2005 on film and was there for 2015 so I should say it is the best CC team I've seen on film/in person...wonder if there is any 77 team film lying around somewhere. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on it.

You bring up a fair point. I've seen every game of 2004 and 2005 on film and was there for 2015 so I should say it is the best CC team I've seen on film/in person...wonder if there is any 77 team film lying around somewhere. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on it.

There is but it goes in a clackety clack machine with dim lights! Technology! I will say this again.. best team defense I have seen and that is a big kudos to the staff and kids for buying in.

There is but it goes in a clackety clack machine with dim lights! Technology! I will say this again.. best team defense I have seen and that is a big kudos to the staff and kids for buying in.
Young defense too, will not miss a beat next year. However, gonna enjoy this one!

1977 had a few tight non conference games other than Country Day. I still remember following them in the paper edition of the Charlotte Observer. Frank Lampke was the one that stands out to me. They rolled through the non subdivided 2A playoffs.

The current conference for Catholic is the best in 3A football. With the new 20/30/30/20 alignment split I thought the 2A and 3A were much more stacked this year than in the past.

We are obviously qualifying this as teams of their era versus their opponents because the difference in the player on the field today is huge compared to us fellas that played in forty years ago.

Congrats to CC for winning the 3A Championship. You guys are class act. Will always be a Havelock Ram. CC played very well.

Was the "havelock has 7 d1 players" talk all BS?

If they got beat like that and had that many big time players that seems like coaching

Reactions: Champ_24
1977 had a few tight non conference games other than Country Day. I still remember following them in the paper edition of the Charlotte Observer. Frank Lampke was the one that stands out to me. They rolled through the non subdivided 2A playoffs.

The current conference for Catholic is the best in 3A football. With the new 20/30/30/20 alignment split I thought the 2A and 3A were much more stacked this year than in the past.

We are obviously qualifying this as teams of their era versus their opponents because the difference in the player on the field today is huge compared to us fellas that played in forty years ago.

I agree it was different times but this team was really dominate. CCHS was barely 300 boys in 4 grades and always opened with 4A Olympic who in those days had Joe White as the coach and they were very competitive. I think Rocky White was there QB that year. Coach Scott Braswell was the QB next year and then FOYE White the following year. Beating Olympic was big deal to a little school like CCHS.

The score was close that year and after that game with the exception of Country Day, Catholic either shut everyone out or gave up a score with the third team late in the game . 94-6 against Union County teams and 104-14 against Stanley county teams. 4a Harding we also shut out 35-0. 138-44 in the playoffs and 18 of the points against CCHS in the playoffs were late in the game. That team had a lot of talent. Great backfield as I think two of them went over 1000 yards and the third one was close.

Wanted to enjoy the win last night before posting anything. Never do I take for granted state title wins and I was enjoying this one...and still am.
First off, congratulations to Havelock they had a great season and have an awesome coach and team. They are a class program and they'll be back.
The game itself was probably one of the most unique title games ever being played in the snow the whole time.
Catholic's first drive was dominant, including a 4th down conversion and taking 6:17 off the clock. Ball control was going to be key and CC dominated on that front.
Havelock would answer with an equally impressive drive to knot the score at 7. Catholic would respond right back with a Chris Walton sneak from the 1.
The game turned towards Catholic when they stopped Havelock on 4th down in CC territory. Catholic could've been up 20-7 at half, but holding penalties and a drop TD pass in the endzone on what looked like a tipped ball prevented it.
Second half after Havelock scored to make it 14-13 was all CC. Lamagae McDowell bulled in from 5 yards out, then on the same play got the 2pt conversion to make it 21-14.
Catholic would again stop Havelock this time in their own territory and put the game away on another Lamagae McDowell run to make it 28-14.
Interesting stat: Catholic was stopped only once by Havelock, the half ran out on them then a pick in the endzone with 30 seconds left.
What a season though. To start missing several defensive starters and still beating powerhouse Charlotte Christian told me this team was special.
A fifth state title for Catholic in their fifth different classification. Yes, for those wondering I agree with seadog this is the best Catholic team of all time.
However, I'm going to enjoy this one and in about 2 weeks I'll want it to be August again!
Go Cougars! Can you stop that Red Machine?!?! I'll answer that for you...HELL NO!
CATHOLIC should not be aloud to compete for public high school state championships in any sport they are not in the NC PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM.

I agree it was different times but this team was really dominate. CCHS was barely 300 boys in 4 grades and always opened with 4A Olympic who in those days had Joe White as the coach and they were very competitive. I think Rocky White was there QB that year. Coach Scott Braswell was the QB next year and then FOYE White the following year. Beating Olympic was big deal to a little school like CCHS.

The score was close that year and after that game with the exception of Country Day, Catholic either shut everyone out or gave up a score with the third team late in the game . 94-6 against Union County teams and 104-14 against Stanley county teams. 4a Harding we also shut out 35-0. 138-44 in the playoffs and 18 of the points against CCHS in the playoffs were late in the game. That team had a lot of talent. Great backfield as I think two of them went over 1000 yards and the third one was close.
You bring up very valid points. 1977 was a different time/era hard to compare this team to that team. I do know Coach Hazen told me they opened that title game with dive pass for either a TD or close to it.

If you wanna be the best u have to beat the best weather that be a public or private school I think cathlotic should be able to compete it’s not like their img and recruiting all over the world and nation

Reactions: Champ_24
can we say REDNECK
It always seem that when you disagree with some one that knows that it not right the first thing they do is to resort to name calling. but the truth is that CATHOLIC HAS UNFAIR ADVANTGES OVER PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND EVERYONE KNOW THIS, SO YOU POPE BOYS ENJOY THIS TAINTED STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Reactions: Kevin2346
And Crest has followed all the rules, and tom knotts was a golden coach that never recruited....what's really sad, is when a school does recruit and yet still sucks...my point is get off catholic, for two reasons, one! The nchsaa can't even figure out a decent playoff system so they'll never figure out how to kick Catholic out of NC playoffs. And Two! Catholic is NOT invincible, Northern Guilford humiliated Catholic worse than they humiliated Crest in back to back years.

It always seem that when you disagree with some one that knows that it not right the first thing they do is to resort to name calling. but the truth is that CATHOLIC HAS UNFAIR ADVANTGES OVER PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND EVERYONE KNOW THIS, SO YOU POPE BOYS ENJOY THIS TAINTED STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Let me say it again. I have posted several illuminating posts with the basics of why your arguments and position is unfounded and unsupported by fact or supportable basis. The positions and writings were not personal, might be considered informational by more openminded types and certainly supported by basis and independent analysis. I just recently choose to call you a REDNECK because the shoe fit so well. In retrospect you just added to your REDNECK mystique by using the go to ignorant redneck CHANT to explain everything... I don't know how to explain, support it, or stand up to any independent analysis so I say EVERYONE KNOW THIS.. Yeah that statement really sums it up... Tell Mounti Pride what he has one won BOB....a tee shirt that says I AM A REDNECK as if that was not obvious enough and quite acting like you are offended because like a real REDNECK you are proud of it.

Last edited:
And Crest has followed all the rules, and tom knotts was a golden coach that never recruited....what's really sad, is when a school does recruit and yet still sucks...my point is get off catholic, for two reasons, one! The nchsaa can't even figure out a decent playoff system so they'll never figure out how to kick Catholic out of NC playoffs. And Two! Catholic is NOT invincible, Northern Guilford humiliated Catholic worse than they humiliated Crest in back to back years.
Can we not bring up Northern Guilford, I still have nightmares lol

Reactions: ConnerP
Let me say it again. I have posted several illuminating posts with the basics of why your arguments and position is unfounded and unsupported by fact or supportable basis. The positions and writings were not personal, might be considered informational by more openminded types and certainly supported by basis and independent analysis. I just recently choose to call you a REDNECK because the shoe fit so well. In retrospect you just added to your REDNECK mystique by using the go to ignorant redneck CHANT to explain everything... I don't know how to explain, support it, or stand up to any independent analysis so I say EVERYONE KNOW THIS.. Yeah that statement really sums it up... Tell Mounti Pride what he has one won BOB....a tee shirt that says I AM A REDNECK as if that was not obvious enough and quite acting like you are offended because like a real REDNECK you are proud of it.
what a bunch 0f bull crap you pope boys know you can get players from where every you want along as they can pay private school tuition or who ever pays for it. You are fooling your self if you do not think that other PUBLIC SCHOOL IN THIS AREA DO NOT KNOW JUST HOW UNFAIR THIS IS. Hopefully the NCHSA will fix this injustice in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin2346
Congrats CC. Going undefeated at any level in sports is pretty amazing .

what a bunch 0f bull crap you pope boys know you can get players from where every you want along as they can pay private school tuition or who ever pays for it. You are fooling your self if you do not think that other PUBLIC SCHOOL IN THIS AREA DO NOT KNOW JUST HOW UNFAIR THIS IS. Hopefully the NCHSA will fix this injustice in the near future.
Mountie, last vote in 2012 234 of 285 were in favor of removing parochial schools, unfortunately 105 schools did not participate and were unable to get 75% needed for ousting. 82% that actually voted we’re in favor of removal.

Not voting was equal to a vote of support.
Disagree, 51 voted for, the rest did not participate. If you have the opportunity to vote and fail to do so shame on you, 82% of those that did expressed their opinion.

Earnest T Mountie I am totaling wrong you are not the The REDNecks Redneck.. You just seem to be the common everyday pedestrian REDNECK. Wow I totally overestimated you.

Are you aware of the NCHSSA charter? Why HS charters includes parochial schools in most of the high school charters around the US?

Are you aware of the difference between a parochial school and private school?

By the way which Charlotte school, the ones that could be impacted by the things you claim, have or state an issue with this? You know the ones that would be harmed if parochial schools were poaching players. Since EVERYONE KNOW IT would you tell us which ones?

Well I am guessing you don't know... and don't care to know,,, because that would shatter your illusions and because shattering illusions requires authentic reading comprehension skills and the desire to independently review facts.

Your argument sounds a lot like the first Redneck who tried this BS ... when it became time for him to speak at his big moment.. to deliver the crushing intellectual argument.. to put him and his issue over the top...... He was so lacking in any intellectual honesty and used a closing statement..... They are just different, they are just different and EVERYONE KNOW IT.

Earnest T Mountie and that dude are BUTT Buddies in the biggest redneck sense of the world.

There are reasons not to allow some types of parochial schools but I have yet to see anyone actually articulate these reasons on this board. For sure no illumination is possible with the typical whiny thoughts without substance that culminated with the big REDNECK crescendo .. EVERYONE KNOW IT as an intellectually argument.

Disagree, 51 voted for, the rest did not participate. If you have the opportunity to vote and fail to do so shame on you, 82% of those that did expressed their opinion.

I don't understand SHS TIGER who are these 51 who voted for but did not get counted... Are you saying your original number of 105 people not voting was incorrectly stated. What is this 51 number you are know stating.

Not voting for an affirmative action is the same things in intellectual circles as either voting NO or just saying this is such a silly proposition that I am not going to play. It properly means they choose to ignore the EVERYONE KNOW IT basis as legitimate

In a mathematical formula if a school did not vote it was like a positive for the Parochials. If there are 100 voters and 70 votes are needed to pass a motion then each entity that does not vote is mathemathically the same as a vote against the motion.

Charlotte Mecklenburg's twenty schools did not vote. Their vote would have been made by the county AD and it would have been twenty votes for the Parochials. Opted not to vote because it was the same in the final decision as if they did vote. That was per the county AD.

Last edited:
Earnest T Mountie I am totaling wrong you are not the The REDNecks Redneck.. You just seem to be the common everyday pedestrian REDNECK. Wow I totally overestimated you.

Are you aware of the NCHSSA charter? Why HS charters includes parochial schools in most of the high school charters around the US?

Are you aware of the difference between a parochial school and private school?

By the way which Charlotte school, the ones that could be impacted by the things you claim, have or state an issue with this? You know the ones that would be harmed if parochial schools were poaching players. Since EVERYONE KNOW IT would you tell us which ones?

Well I am guessing you don't know... and don't care to know,,, because that would shatter your illusions and because shattering illusions requires authentic reading comprehension skills and the desire to independently review facts.

Your argument sounds a lot like the first Redneck who tried this BS ... when it became time for him to speak at his big moment.. to deliver the crushing intellectual argument.. to put him and his issue over the top...... He was so lacking in any intellectual honesty and used a closing statement..... They are just different, they are just different and EVERYONE KNOW IT.

Earnest T Mountie and that dude are BUTT Buddies in the biggest redneck sense of the world.

There are reasons not to allow some types of parochial schools but I have yet to see anyone actually articulate these reasons on this board. For sure no illumination is possible with the typical whiny thoughts without substance that culminated with the big REDNECK crescendo .. EVERYONE KNOW IT as an intellectually argument.
Every one should read the article by LANGSTON WERTZ JR in the CHARLOTTE OBSERVER TITLE [ WHAT MAKE CHARLOTTE CATHOLIC FOOTBALL SO SUCCESSFUL CRITICS HAVE THEIR OPINIONS] very interesting reading very eye opening. lwertz@charlotteobserver.com dated September 6,2017

Last edited:
Every one should read the article by LANGSTON WERTZ JR in the CHARLOTTE OBSERVER TITLE [ WHAT MAKE CHARLOTTE CATHOLIC FOOTBALL SO SUCCESSFUL CRITICS HAVE THEIR OPINIONS] very interesting reading very eye opening. lwertz@charlotteobserver.com dated September 6,2017
Then you should read the follow up article on what makes us truly successful. Unless you want to quarantine yourself to one opinion then that is fine, but ignorance is bliss I guess.

Every one should read the article by LANGSTON WERTZ JR in the CHARLOTTE OBSERVER TITLE [ WHAT MAKE CHARLOTTE CATHOLIC FOOTBALL SO SUCCESSFUL CRITICS HAVE THEIR OPINIONS] very interesting reading very eye opening.

Here is a link to Langston Wertz article where he clearly shows the hole in your argument.

The article clearly puts the recruiting piece in its proper context as it does not happen

Second he states the radius of where kids are restricted from. I think today it is 25 mile radius and before if someone came to CCHS they had to sit out a year before playing varsity sports.

Third, with exception of the imposed requirement to sit out a year CCHS plays by the same rules.

Langston does not allege anything he just gives a mouthpiece to those like coach Joe Pinhead who is ignorant of reality. The boundary claim is not only species because there are boundaries as well as limitation to the student body, neither of which JOE PNHEAD acknowledges. But even more species is JOE PINHEAD makes a claim without giving any substance or basis to support it. Great example of the THE REDNECK claim that EVERYONE KNOW IT

it is an empirical fact that school districts in the state come in all shapes and sizes. Do schools with larger geographical boundaries have more success? I have yet to see any direct evidence to support this and quite frankly without any evidence or substance to support the boundary issue, JOE PINHEAD is making a false or untested claim.

You have to ask yourself why make a false or untested claim to support an argument. EVERYONE KNOW IT equals no credibility

CCHS has always had limitations in where their students come from. I don't know this years enrollment but it typically about 90% of the student body comes from the Catholic parish community.

Since less then 3% of population is from the catholic parish community and 90% of the student body comes this population... how much bigger would the geographical area have to be then a median sized school distinct in Mecklenburg County. Certainly bigger then the radius provided. Somehow those facts never enter into JOE PINHEADs mind.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article171526337.html

Remote, only CC actually really abides by one year sit out rule. Never see anyone sitting out when they switch from public school to public school.

NCHSAA did away with the one year sit out rule last year for all publics which was and still is up to the local school system (LEA). That was looking like a gray area for the Parochials but Catholic stepped up and said they would enforce regardless of what NCHSAA decided. I think the three Parochials still have the one year sit out. CMS enforces the one year sit out if the student athlete does not make a residence change as written per regulation. There are some that sit out, there are some that attempt to circumvent the rule and get caught. As I have said for years, if a family rents (especially apartments) moving is often a more simple process.

I got mine at a public school with kids from my hometown. We earned ours, you bought yours...big difference. Different level of respect.
*cleaning multiple rings* sorry can you say that again, couldn't hear you I threw my rings on the table made quite a loud noise. Wanna say that again?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT