ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic @ East Forsyth

That DC from NWG is very very smart, talked to a parent on the phone and figured out what East Forsyths thinking and plan at the moment and really like it.

@ForsythFootball,

He's a great young coach! I wasn't lying when I said coach Willert hit the jackpot with that hire. I hate the fact that coach Rolfes at NWG let him walk out the door and go to a conference rival.

Interesting fact
@ForsythFootball,

He's a great young coach! I wasn't lying when I said coach Willert hit the jackpot with that hire. I hate the fact that coach Rolfes at NWG let him walk out the door and go to a conference rival.
He is really good with the players, not sure why anyone would let him go. May try and go to Wake Forest after work and catch the end of their practice and talk to him about defense this week.

Reactions: Warhead1
Interesting fact

He is really good with the players, not sure why anyone would let him go. May try and go to Wake Forest after work and catch the end of their practice and talk to him about defense this week.

@ForsythFootball

I've told this before but I'll post it again just in case you didn't know. I don't think NW wanted him to leave but from what I hear Coach Rolfes wanted a different DC when he was 1st hired. In his 1st year he brought in a College Coach at NW who some think was a great hire I personally didn't think it was and I was right because he left for a College job after only 1 season with the Vikings (2014). The next year Beal was in consideration for the DC job again but Rolfes brought in one of his friends he worked with in the past from Ohio before the (2015) season. When he did that Coach Beal took the job at East Forsyth. Rumors started to fly around the community that him and Rolfes had a huge falling out after that and it led to him resigning. Looks like those rumors were true after the 2015 EF/NW game when Rolfes and Beal got into it at the 50 yard line after the game. I was told it was because Rolfes thought Willert ran the score up on his team but after talking to some asst. coaches on the NW staff they said it may have been a little personal too (won't get into all those details). I'm sure if you talk to most NW parents and some old fans from the Woodruff era they wanted him to stay but Coach Rolfes wanted to go in a different direction from what had been done in the past under coach Woodruff. Since then he has brought in former Grimsley HC Pat Neal as the NW DC. We had an awful year on defense but I'm hoping we'll stick with Neal just so we're not switching our defense again. NW has literally had 4 DC's in the last 4 years and each one has brought in an entirely new system. Hard for NW to get good at anything when you change it every single year. I don't know if we would have beaten EF this year even with Coach Beal as our DC but I really don't think we would have got our butts kick as bad as we did (like that really matters either lol). Its not just the fact that Beal is a better coach in my mind... I'm sure others would say differently its just because like you said he relates so well with his players. I also think when the kids get comfortable with the system they have more success. I can tell a huge difference on the outside looking at East Forsyth just in the 2 years he's been with you guys. If he doesn't take a HC job somewhere (I don't know if that's something he'd like to pursue cause I haven't spoke with him in a few years) that defense will continue to get better IMO. I think next year East will be sort of rebuilding with all the talent you guys are losing but after watching your JV team this year I don't think East will be down as much as people think. I think they will continue to be a top Conference team next year just maybe not as powerful on the State level but who knows. Unlike some NW fans I'm really glad that he and you guys are doing so well over there. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way. I will be there Friday hopefully if I get off work in time. If not I will be watching on TWC.

Last edited:
@ForsythFootball

I've told this before but I'll post it again just in case you didn't know. I don't think NW wanted him to leave but from what I hear Coach Rolfes wanted a different DC when he was 1st hired. In his 1st year he brought in a College Coach at NW who some think was a great hire I personally didn't think it was and I was right because he left for a College job after only 1 season with the Vikings (2014). The next year Beal was in consideration for the DC job again but Rolfes brought in one of his friends he worked with in the past from Ohio before the (2015) season. When he did that Coach Beal took the job at East Forsyth. Rumors started to fly around the community that him and Rolfes had a huge falling out after that and it led to him resigning. Looks like those rumors were true after the 2015 EF/NW game when Rolfes and Beal got into it at the 50 yard line after the game. I was told it was because Rolfes thought Willert ran the score up on his team but after talking to some asst. coaches on the NW staff they said it may have been a little personal too (won't get into all those details). I'm sure if you talk to most NW parents and some old fans from the Woodruff era they wanted him to stay but Coach Rolfes wanted to go in a different direction from what had been done in the past under coach Woodruff. Since then he has brought in former Grimsley HC Pat Neal as the NW DC. We had an awful year on defense but I'm hoping we'll stick with Neal just so we're not switching our defense again. NW has literally had 4 DC's in the last 4 years and each one has brought in an entirely new system. Hard for NW to get good at anything when you change it every single year. I don't know if we would have beaten EF this year even with Coach Beal as our DC but I really don't think we would have got our butts kick as bad as we did (like that really matters either lol). Its not just the fact that Beal is a better coach in my mind... I'm sure others would say differently its just because like you said he relates so well with his players. I also think when the kids get comfortable with the system they have more success. I can tell a huge difference on the outside looking at East Forsyth just in the 2 years he's been with you guys. If he doesn't take a HC job somewhere (I don't know if that's something he'd like to pursue cause I haven't spoke with him in a few years) that defense will continue to get better IMO. I think next year East will be sort of rebuilding with all the talent you guys are losing but after watching your JV team this year I don't think East will be down as much as people think. I think they will continue to be a top Conference team next year just maybe not as powerful on the State level but who knows. Unlike some NW fans I'm really glad that he and you guys are doing so well over there. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way. I will be there Friday hopefully if I get off work in time. If not I will be watching on TWC.
I'm aware why East has ran up the score the last two years. Both years the NWG head coach has not only been personally rude to D.C. Beal but also publicly in the paper said things about the kids. The dad of the player I always sit with told me willert read his quotes in the paper to the team. I don't really like the Northwest program because of the coaches... they seem to represent the school with bad colors not intended to start anything but when you talk awfully about kids playing football in the news you open that door to be pointed out. As many have claimed I think that HC position opens after this year. But yes the running up the score the Glenn (62) and Northwest (58) week was intentional and Northwest was lucky it wasn't 70 with east Forsyth in victory formation halfway through the 4Q

Not to get off subject too far from the Catholic East game but a lot of us old school NW fans haven't liked some of the things the new staff has done either. It almost feels like the program has been in rebuild mode since 2014. We were knocking on the door step in 2013 and I think our final ranking that year was 4th in the State 4AA after NW lost to Mallard Creek. I don't think we had the talent to beat a team like Mallard Creek or Butler but we could play with and beat teams like Richmond, Scotland, Page, and even East a couple times back in those days. Now we're not even on the same planet.

So back to the game.... is it best to slow play the CC run game to slow down the read decision or get penetration and blow it up?

So back to the game.... is it best to slow play the CC run game to slow down the read decision or get penetration and blow it up?
I would assume get penetration, disrupt the play at the line.
I think a key for Catholic will be turnovers if the Cougars can force 2 turnovers and turn them into touchdowns that will go a very long way to winning the game. Also I don't think EFs secondary will be as big a factor vs CC especially if they have success running they won't throw the ball much to neutralize their secondary.

Changed my mind, Catholic by 3TDs because random yap, deserves a random yap answer as previously stated on another thread.

What is East Forsyth signature win? Oh yea, Barely beating West Forsyth, who they trailed until the 3rd quarter and squeaked out a win do to West QB's flurry of turnovers. Lol... I've said all year West is a year away and still should have beat them. East has'nt beat a top ten team all year. Lol..

I wish West was playing East instead of Page... they would beat East in 4AA with this new QB

Again, Catholic by 3 TDs

Last edited:
What is East Forsyth signature win? Oh yea, Barely beating West Forsyth, who they trailed until the 3rd quarter

East and West were tied at 7 at halftime and East scored 10 in the 3rd quarter...so trailing until 3rd quarter no sure about that.

Fact of the matter is this...Charlotte Catholic and East Forsyth play Friday night and West Forsyth and Page play Friday night. Arguably the two better teams in Forsyth county. I'm pulling for both of them to win Friday night, but both teams have short comings that they have to deal with to be successful Friday night. CPC good luck Friday night and I hope you guys beat Page.

What is East Forsyth signature win? Oh yea, Barely beating West Forsyth, who they trailed until the 3rd quarter and squeaked out a win do to West QB's flurry of turnovers. Lol... I've said all year West is a year away and still should have beat them. East has'nt beat a top ten team all year. Lol..

I wish West was playing East instead of Page... they would beat East in 4AA with this new QB

Again, Catholic by 3 TDs

We'll just save this for late Friday night. Good luck to the Titans.

I'll take CC 28-27. This one could honestly go either way. I've gone back and forth with this one, but CC knows how to win in late November and I believe that gives them the edge!

Again, Catholic by 3 TDs
Okay, for one the only drive West Forsyth scored was when middle LB (#50) left the game. Literally you were three and out and only scored off an injury. East had a TD or two called back and pretty easily won this game with a QB having his 1st ever FULL varsity game. This game could be played fifty times and east would win all 50 because fact of the matter is west isn't as good. Wrong Forum but page will beat west and I expect a mercy rule over at mason kirby... cover your ears page will be sounding the cannon all night.

Again, Catholic by 3 TDs
One last thing for MR or mrs Hate... east hasn't beaten a top team team all year because for one they are forced to play not top ten teams like West,RJR and so on. They get one or two free choice games and played and lost to a team who I honestly pick to win it all in the 4AA.

This could be a crucial game for East Forysth. Yes, we all know it's crucial in regards to advancing in the playoffs. But, it's crucial for another couple of reasons.

East hasn't gotten that signature win against an elite Charlotte team yet. The way the playoffs are set up, with the number of teams in Charlotte, to win a state title from the west, will require defeating a top Charlotte team.

The last two years have been heartbreak hotel for the Eagles faithful. In each of those years, a team from Charlotte, came back and beat the Eagles. Each time was on their home field. Last year, they had the defending state champ, Mallard Creek on the ropes in the fourth quarter, only to have the Mavericks come from behind and defeat the Eagles in overtime.

Two things, in my opinion, are giving East fans cause for anticipation this week. First, they have several players back from that team that took Mallard Creek to the limit. They may figure if they took Mallard Creek to the limit last year, surely they should have an excellent shot in getting past Catholic.

Second, the move down from 4AA to 4A. What they haven't been able to do in 4AA, they are hoping to do in 4A; win that elusive state title. This will have to be done for East to be considered an elite team in the state, which their fans very much want. Right now, they are a quality contender, but not quite at the elite status.

As a 4A team, they are now one of the largest schools in 4A, with Catholic being the smallest, in terms of admin numbers.

So, the stage is set. There's great hope in Kernersville. This isn't a regional final, but a semi-final. Over the last two years, East has a record of 26-2.

Last year, they faced a defending state champ, at home, in Mallard Creek who was 27-3 in the two years, prior to last year's meeting.

Once again this season, in Kernersville, East is facing an elite Charlotte team, a defending state champ with a record over the last two years of 27-1.

Will East finally get over that hump? We'll find out on Friday.

Gotta disagree with you there. Todd Willert is SEVERELY underrated and his staff is as well.
Last post in this rant session but willert and crew have turned a team essentially like RJ Reynolds and become a state power. That's not easy, you have to be one hell of a coach to make a legacy and he did. Any fan can respect seeing a 0-11 team become a deep playoff contender every year.

Gotta disagree with you there. Todd Willert is SEVERELY underrated and his staff is as well.

Gotta agree with CC on his one. EF staff is great, but über greatness is measured by rings and banners not trips to the playoffs. NG staff and the players they were fortunate to coach were on another level.

@ForsythFootball

Man you really know your Forsyth Co. football

EF is going to score more than 14, and cc better score more than 21 or its going to be a long night.
People said the same thing about Dudley last year. Both teams have very good defenses so it wouldnt shock me at all to see a lower scoring game.

Reactions: BGOD2013
I expect this game to have a score in the thirties. The offenses are so good

I'm thinking the opposite. I think its a great game with two very good teams with excellent coaching staffs. I am going EF only because they are at home and I believe they are due to win one of these. Intensity for EF will be sky high .

I think its going to be lower scoring than a lot of the predictions I see. Possessions will be at a premium and both teams defenses are built on taking the big explosive plays away. EF with great speed in the backend and Catholic with a very well executed zone. Both DC's will take the bread and butter away and the team that has the better 2nd option will win.

Going EF 21 Catholic 17

Man you really know your Forsyth Co. football
Not really when it comes to Forsyth Football. Now if we are talking NW and Northern Guilford yes. I've supported the NWG Football program for the last 30 years. I've given lots of money to the boosters and you would be surprised what asst coaches, fans and parents say (well if you've been around HS football at all you wouldn't). I've kept up with East and Forsyth County for the last few years and really started to pay attention to them when one of our long time coaches went over there and has been knocking on the door of the State Championship. There has been a lot of problems over here at NW over the last few years. We have a lot to work on in the off-season. We will see what this team and coaching staff is made of with so many seniors leaving this year. If we don't get our act together I could see the NW of old coming back where we are below .500 and fighting to make the playoffs. With as much talent and money in this program NW should never be that bad. We shall see!

I'm thinking the opposite. I think its a great game with two very good teams with excellent coaching staffs. I am going EF only because they are at home and I believe they are due to win one of these. Intensity for EF will be sky high .

I think its going to be lower scoring than a lot of the predictions I see. Possessions will be at a premium and both teams defenses are built on taking the big explosive plays away. EF with great speed in the backend and Catholic with a very well executed zone. Both DC's will take the bread and butter away and the team that has the better 2nd option will win.

Going EF 21 Catholic 17

Agree 100% B&G. I see this being an 8 to 9 possession game with field position and turnovers being CRITICAL. The more possessions for CC, the greater the chance of a missed assignment and a long TD, East doesn't want that. I think CC is in the same position though, where they don't want to give Beal, Sligh, Childs and Cone (shhh..) any extra chances to bust one. I'm seeing maybe a 10-7 game at the half with whoever makes the big plays down the stretch pulling it out. Can't wait until tomorrow night!

East has a tough defense and CC will need a Leake-type performance in order to take down the Eagles. Or maybe, i don't know what i'm talking about, haha.
For some reason.. the 4th quarter long TD run wasn't on this highlight reel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT