ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic @ East Forsyth

What is it about Catholic that makes them so tough? I understand their execution is very solid but is there something special about the scheme? Do they have top notch athletes to go along with it or is it more the system? They seem to always jump on teams so quick.

East is playing their best ball of the season right now. Very curious to understand CC a little more to see where East might be able to have success.

I honestly can't wait. The game can go either way tbh. I can't even think about predicting a victor. What I can say is I will be there an hour early to get a great spot like I did tonight against ND.

No disrespect to Dudley or Davie but in my mind this is the Western 4A championship game. Whoever wins this one will be favored to win the 4A crown. With that said East Forsyth is going to have their hands full with the Catholic run game. Once Catholic gets it going its almost impossible to stop. I'm not ready to give a score but after how CC beat down Tabor I will say that CC is the favorite right now in my mind going into this week.

What is it about Catholic that makes them so tough? I understand their execution is very solid but is there something special about the scheme? Do they have top notch athletes to go along with it or is it more the system? They seem to always jump on teams so quick.

East is playing their best ball of the season right now. Very curious to understand CC a little more to see where East might be able to have success.

Bumblebee- Catholic is more athletic than most people lead on but with that said the eye test makes them look very average. They make very few mistakes, tackle great and the offense when it gets rolling is very potent. Lots of misdirection mixed in with some new found passing and they just execute it great. Frank Garcia the ex-panther is the Oline coach and he may be the best in the state. They come off the ball and use angles very well.

This will be a whale of a game because EF is very fundamentally sound and EF's Achilles heal is typically undersized on defense wont be as much of an issue. EF's LBs will be in for a long night as the mis direction really gives them fits.

My initial thoughts on this game, if Catholic is to win they don't need to pass the football just stick with the run. I really like the Catholic offense but I feel like the Catholic defense has some glitches. As soon as I googled Catholics film the first thing I saw was #5 I believe for catholic abandons the Slot guy as soon as he sees run leaving the Slot wide open.

My initial thoughts on this game, if Catholic is to win they don't need to pass the football just stick with the run. I really like the Catholic offense but I feel like the Catholic defense has some glitches. As soon as I googled Catholics film the first thing I saw was #5 I believe for catholic abandons the Slot guy as soon as he sees run leaving the Slot wide open.
#5 is a back up LB. Good kid, but not in there often. So that doesn't matter

Last night was my first game at East Forsyth. I think if they start out slow like last night they may be in for a long night. The offense for East is pretty solid as they get everybody involved. I know everybody talks about Beal but they mix it up. It seemed last night after ND first couple of drives the defensive backs put the clamp down on every pass.

To beat Catholic you have to play assignment football, I know it sounds easy but you have to have guys on the D line that can direct their blockers and not lose containment. The linebackers have to be able to fight off blocks and make tackles while being harrassed. You can't forget about the passing game , db's can't just come up and fall asleep. Because the TE and receivers will come up as if their going to block you and run right pass you. I havent seen East Forsyth defense, but thats a blueprint. I think we played the Cowbell Cougs enough to know what they're capable of

To beat Catholic you have to play assignment football, I know it sounds easy but you have to have guys on the D line that can direct their blockers and not lose containment. The linebackers have to be able to fight off blocks and make tackles while being harrassed. You can't forget about the passing game , db's can't just come up and fall asleep. Because the TE and receivers will come up as if their going to block you and run right pass you. I havent seen East Forsyth defense, but thats a blueprint. I think we played the Cowbell Cougs enough to know what they're capable of
I think you also have to make them go the long field and have them playing from behind. Also, you have to get them behind the chains which is very hard to do. They are a problem that is for sure.

I think you also have to make them go the long field and have them playing from behind. Also, you have to get them behind the chains which is very hard to do. They are a problem that is for sure.
Catholic has over 2000 passing yards this year. They can play from behind better than in past years.

Catholic has over 2000 passing yards this year. They can play from behind better than in past years.
So would you rather them pass or grind your ass out? I would say 99.9% would say pass. Catholic pass is set-up by the run just like Scotland. If you nut them up against the run you put them in a very unusual position of passing more times than not. They are dangerous when they are 2 dimensional like last night. Tabor had no chance.

The teams that give them trouble are the teams that use a 50 front and cover up the center and get him going backward. The running game is all about timing and you have disrupt that by playing in their backfield. Offensively teams make the mistake of trying to beat them side to side because speed seems to be a liability but they position themselves well and very rarely get beat to the edges. You gotta get north and south. That's how Dudley has beat them as has MC

The teams that give them trouble are the teams that use a 50 front and cover up the center and get him going backward. The running game is all about timing and you have disrupt that by playing in their backfield. Offensively teams make the mistake of trying to beat them side to side because speed seems to be a liability but they position themselves well and very rarely get beat to the edges. You gotta get north and south. That's how Dudley has beat them as has MC

They have a lot of interceptions on the year. Are they better against the run or pass on D?

They have a lot of interceptions on the year. Are they better against the run or pass on D?

They are solid against both. Beal will have some opportunities. I have always felt that the teams with real good coaching stand the best chance against CC so I suspect EF will give them all they want. DUdley, New Bern, Mallard Creek all well coached and all have beat them. Nothing against the Reagan's and the MT. Tabors of the world but the 2nd tier teams get eaten for lunch by them. By the time you get to RD 3 its typically some real well coached squads.

I also thing EF is tough place to play and will be a huge crowd as Catholic travels better than anyone else in Charlotte..... I really think I will go see this one.

Who has a lot of picks? Berger has thrown less than 5 all year

Not picks thrown, Catholic defense has made a lot of interceptions. East is balanced with the run being the base for sure, but will throw more if that is where the opponent is more susceptible. Just saying that Catholic appears to be very strong against the pass as I'm sure they are against the run also.

They are solid against both. Beal will have some opportunities. I have always felt that the teams with real good coaching stand the best chance against CC so I suspect EF will give them all they want. DUdley, New Bern, Mallard Creek all well coached and all have beat them. Nothing against the Reagan's and the MT. Tabors of the world but the 2nd tier teams get eaten for lunch by them. By the time you get to RD 3 its typically some real well coached squads.

I also thing EF is tough place to play and will be a huge crowd as Catholic travels better than anyone else in Charlotte..... I really think I will go see this one.
You just name 3 teams that normally have college talent. Let's not take anything away from coaches. Coaching can only take you so far, then players must make plays. MT wasn't as good this year as they were in the past and Reagan's success has been done because of their coaches.

You just name 3 teams that normally have college talent. Let's not take anything away from coaches. Coaching can only take you so far, then players must make plays. MT wasn't as good this year as they were in the past and Reagan's success has been done because of their coaches.

Wasnt meant to downgrade the coaching staffs of either of those teams and it probably wasnt worded well. That said college talent hardly the deciding factor. Rose had it, so does SMeck and West Meck. Ardrey Kell has produced more FBS talent than any other school in the state next to Mallard Creek the last 5 years. Havent sniffed a win.

Reactions: Chopper747
East Forsyth gets their execution, focus and discipline tested for 48 minutes this week.

Just my opinion. i think that its very close. However i dont think the Ef Oline is nearly as good as the NG line was. Also i think this CC defense WAY better than that one.

Honest question. How do you know? What makes you think that Beal isn't anywhere near Logan and EF coaching staff isn't as good and Northern Guilford?
Cause I've seen Beal on tape multiple times. He does not show the explosiveness that Logan did. And as far as the coaching, I didnt see Northern Guilford blow any playoff leads like EF has in recent years.
Also Catholic's defense is way way better than in 2012. It's night and day.

Cause I've seen Beal on tape multiple times. He does not show the explosiveness that Logan did. And as far as the coaching, I didnt see Northern Guilford blow any playoff leads like EF has in recent years.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on the comparison between the two players then. I've seen both play in person multiple times and they are really similar players.

As far as coaching, it's all about who you're playing and who your players are. I do agree that the coaching staff at NG was better than East though. East has blown some leads and made some highly questionable calls during the games I've seen them lose in. It's not night and day though. East head coach did take them from the laughing stock of Winston Salem to a respectable program.

I really can't wait for this game though. I hope the atmosphere can rival the game last year between MC and East. Don't forget to come early. Parking is a nightmare at East.

Just my opinion. i think that its very close. However i dont think the Ef Oline is nearly as good as the NG line was. Also i think this CC defense WAY better than that one.

Is there anyway for regular guys like me to watch highlights of CC or any team for that matter? I feel like NCHSAA should do a better job of recording games and redistributing the games.

Beals best attribute is his patience and vision. He waits for the play to develop and is great at setting up blocks. May not have track star speed but is shifty and a very hard runner. But he can still break one at any time if he gets loose. East was really missing the second option early in the season. Nique Martin was great in that role last year. Sligh has really upped his game lately, 3 more scores last night. And Kellum is a huge weapon over the middle. Beal may not be Logan but he is a big challenge and the other weapons added make East tough to stop.

Is there anyway for regular guys like me to watch highlights of CC or any team for that matter? I feel like NCHSAA should do a better job of recording games and redistributing the games.
Outside of player highlights probably not

East has a really good ball team this year. Beal made some incredible plays against Page and he will make a difference, but like Page did this year Catholic will have to bottle him up and get to the quarterback. Leake was able to break off 2 long touchdown runs that were enough in a tough highly contested ball game. Catholic is very tough and plays assignment disciplined football, East has the playermakers to win, it's really a toss up here. This will be a great game both teams are full of athletes and are very well coached, these are 2 of the top 4A programs going for multiple years now. Wish I could see this one!

they recurit to there need and who fits in and I'm not wrong

Come show us who we recruited big boy. We are playing a kid at Will linebacker who is about 5'8" 150 so yeah we recruited him.
Our main RB is about 5'10" 170ish. Come on dude LOL You just lost any credibility you had.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT