ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic 42 Weddington 7

What a game by Catholic. The Cougars wasted no time in this one jumping on Weddington. Their initial drive set the tone for the whole game after forcing a Weddington three and out the Cougars drive down and score in roughly five plays on a John Walton to Garrett McKernan TD pass.
Weddington would have trouble all night on offense a snap over the QBs head derailed that drive. Catholic would make it 14-0 on a Lamagae McDowell 3yrd run.
Catholic would again force a Weddington three and out and score again on a Lamagae McDowell run this one for 33 yards. Two plays later CC sophomore LB Billy Brewer picked off Weddington and Milan Howard made it 28-0. That sequence I believe broke Weddington's back.
Catholic would make it 35-0 on another Milan Howard TD run and would cruise the rest of the way. Michael Neel would score the Cougars final TD.
Weddington got their one score on a long pass to Brimigon(spelled wrong I know) on the CC backups. They were never even close to being in this game.
At halftime Weddington had two first downs and one of them was gained as the half expired. Catholic just flat out dominated tonight.
Now a home date with JM Robinson and a trip to the state finals on the line. GO COUGARS!

Last edited:
Ya know, I'll admit all day Catholic is superior. They should win hands down the state championship...and probably will be in the 4th round the next 4 years assuming they don't choke. However, I never got a answer as to why Catholic DESERVES to play public schools. I'm not talking about what coaches voted or the ncshaa voted or whatever...as fans what gives Catholic the right?

Another running clock. More later.
Cc - how is it that catholic plays public schools ? I'm not trying to be a smart butt but I really don't know and have always wondered and congrats on tbe win. It's one heck of a program ya'll have .

Ya know, I'll admit all day Catholic is superior. They should win hands down the state championship...and probably will be in the 4th round the next 4 years assuming they don't choke. However, I never got a answer as to why Catholic DESERVES to play public schools. I'm not talking about what coaches voted or the ncshaa voted or whatever...as fans what gives Catholic the right?
Well I see it as this. Never once has Catholic in nearly 50 years of NCHSAA membership had to forfeit one contest. Not even a little 8 quarter violation.
They are restricted somewhat, after the vote in 2012 a 25 mile radius was put around all parochial schools. If you live outside that 25 mile radius I do not believe you can play sports. Now also CC has a 1 year sit out rule. So let's say a kid transfers from South Meck in October and wants to play football, he is not eligible to play football until the next October. Full 365 days. No other schools have to abide by that rule and now transfers are easier with the coaches/principal able to sign off granting immediate eligibility. I don't see a coach/principal ever granting a kid immediate eligibility to play at CC even if he isn't good.
Catholic is within the rules, NCHSAA is open to all public schools and non-boarding parochial schools which is what Catholic is.
Also athletes are not eligible for tuition assistance or scholarships of any kind. Period. No matter your financial situation, CC has lost players because they cannot afford the tuition which I think is now $12K a year. It was $10K a year when I went there.
I think there would be a valid argument if CC was turning our 4-5 star players every year, but we've only had one five star RB that I know of in Hood. Just a lot of players who work hard and aren't selfish and mesh well.

Crest

Your preface of using the word deserves is a little misguided.

Here is some background for you on the evolution of Parochial schools. Parochial schools are more like Public schools then private schools. Most elementary schools are owned by a particular parish, while high schools are often owned by a group of parishes or institutions made up of parishes. This defrays the operating costs of the schools in the same manner like taxes do for public schools so they are typically much less expensive then private schools. The elementary schools feed directly into the HS in a similar way that the public school system works. Typically the total elementary enrollment is a lot more then the HS enrollment.

Catholicism is the largest religious denomination in the US but it is quite small in NC. At first the catholic parochial system was developed as a response to the anti-Catholic sentiment related to heavy immigration into the US. Most of the parishes had nuns and priest from the parish to be the teachers.

This percentage of the population of catholics in the Carolina's combined with the % of catholics attending parochial schools debases the arguments that since Catholic does not pull from a defined geographical area this creates an advantage. In analyzing that argument objectively, I have yet to see a thread of evidence that suggests a wider geographical area produces better results.. Does a high school with a similar enrollment that takes up a large county have better results then a HS that is in an Urban area? If you look at the percentage of the population that is catholic in the Carolinas, how big of an area would they have to draw from to get the same student body number as a similar school in the same area.

Because of the history of similarities of parochial to Private most charters that manage competition have been inclusive to parochial but not privates. These charters are typically respected both ethically and legally because they are not driven by emotion and inherent biases.

So your question should be rephrased from why does Catholic think they deserve to be included.. to why do some think that Catholic should be discriminated against. For sure the weak argument for a wider geographical argument does not hold much water and can not be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawn12Dog and Ladge
Crest

Your preface of using the word deserves is a little misguided.

Here is some background for you on the evolution of Parochial schools. Parochial schools are more like Public schools then private schools. Most elementary schools are owned by a particular parish, while high schools are often owned by a group of parishes or institutions made up of parishes. This defrays the operating costs of the schools in the same manner like taxes do for public schools so they are typically much less expensive then private schools. The elementary schools feed directly into the HS in a similar way that the public school system works. Typically the total elementary enrollment is a lot more then the HS enrollment.

Catholicism is the largest religious denomination in the US but it is quite small in NC. At first the catholic parochial system was developed as a response to the anti-Catholic sentiment related to heavy immigration into the US. Most of the parishes had nuns and priest from the parish to be the teachers.

This percentage of the population of catholics in the Carolina's combined with the % of catholics attending parochial schools debases the arguments that since Catholic does not pull from a defined geographical area this creates an advantage. In analyzing that argument objectively, I have yet to see a thread of evidence that suggests a wider geographical area produces better results.. Does a high school with a similar enrollment that takes up a large county have better results then a HS that is in an Urban area? If you look at the percentage of the population that is catholic in the Carolinas, how big of an area would they have to draw from to get the same student body number as a similar school in the same area.

Because of the history of similarities of parochial to Private most charters that manage competition have been inclusive to parochial but not privates. These charters are typically respected both ethically and legally because they are not driven by emotion and inherent biases.

So your question should be rephrased from why does Catholic think they deserve to be included.. to why do some think that Catholic should be discriminated against. For sure the weak argument for a wider geographical argument does not hold much water and can not be taken seriously.
Can Charlotte latin or Charlotte ChristIan ask to play in a public school league ? This is interesting and thanks for the info CC

Can Charlotte latin or Charlotte ChristIan ask to play in a public school league ? This is interesting and thanks for the info CC
No they cannot. They are not non-boarding parochial schools. They are private schools, they do offer scholarships and use those. Until a few years ago kids could re-class at those schools as well, but they took that rule away.

la

Latin or CC are classified as private schools and CCHS is classified as a non Boarding Parochial school. Most charters cover Private and non boarding parochial schools for the reasons I wrote about above.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Crest

Actually it is higher then that if you are a non participating catholic but less if you are not. It used to be less if you had a second one in at the same time but I am not sure these days. Private school tuition is typically about twice what it is at CCHS. I would venture the teachers still get paid less then if you worked in public schools.

Crest

Actually it is higher then that if you are a non participating catholic but less if you are not. It used to be less if you had a second one in at the same time but I am not sure these days. Private school tuition is typically about twice what it is at CCHS. I would venture the teachers still get paid less then if you worked in public schools.
Yup I think CMS teachers make a bit more.

This quote I saw online and it describes Catholic perfectly: We do extraordinary things with ordinary players.

The 12k is for participating Catholics, and there is a 10% discount for each additional child, but there is approximately another 1k for each family in what's called a capital debt payment. Non participating Catholic's or non Catholic's pay more in tuition. Mine graduated a few years ago so the amounts may be slightly higher now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT