ADVERTISEMENT

CAROLINA CONFERENCE

Wolfray there is a difference in hitting and scrimmaging good teams simulate games based off of lining a defense up on the other side of their offense and playing like they are playing in a game, not scrimmaging its more of a controlled environment. Teams like JK and Princeton and Rosewood are hitting in practice. Believe that.

Coach Avent probably doesn't do tackling drills or full on bring the man down everyday but I bet he isn't out there running in just helmets either.

This post was edited on 11/4 7:17 AM by JeffFriday

its been a many a year since i was on a practice field at rosewood and im old school but im learning and trying too adapt. im a defense guy and i like the ...6-3,10-7..etc scores. but those days are gone. kids are different and they dont spend the summer croppin or hanging tobacco ..and its true...lose youre best players in practice will doom youre season!.. just my old opinion and its just mine.. kids dont tackle as they did in my day. ive seen this from high school too college. again im a defense guy and times have changed.

What's the word Carolina Conference do we see Princeton go small? That might well give the Carolina a shot at two state titles! Assuming James Kenan and Princeton play the best football of the season in the playoffs. That would be a sweet end to this football season, sorry Rosewood fans.

Princeton is going to be right on the cutoff. I think it will come down to which team makes the playoffs. (One or two win teams).

Rivalry Week, last week of the season. What more can we say it's a big week.

Looking at the rivalry matchup let us start with the game that matters the most. Hobbton JV vs Lakewood JV.

This is for the JV Conference Championship, the two squads ended up in the battle by being sound and playing in their system.
I don't follow the JV's as closely as the varsity but my prediction is Leopards JV 26 - Wildcats JV 12

The game behind that is the varsity game Friday Hobbton (2-8, 1-4) @ Lakewood (5-5, 2-3). The Wildcats are a much improved team and are playing for bragging rights, though the Leopards want none of what Hobbton brings this game could be one that get's tight. Hobbton has played well over the past couple weeks, while Lakewood has been trending down, I know it is the opponent strength that has hurt Lakewood playing the Tigers and the Dogs here recently but Lakewood hasn't been the same since the James Kenan game. Hobbton scores late and stops a struggling Leopard offense I got Hobbton 19- Lakewood 6.

The youngest rivalry is one we can call the Cape Fear River Rivalry Spring Creek (1-9, 0-5) @ North Duplin (4-6, 1-4). This game isn't going to be much more than a final tuneup for the Rebels before opening the playoffs next week, Spring Creek hasn't done anything to make me believe in them for this game. Better luck next year Gators, maybe starting a JV program will help out at the creek. North Duplin 41 - Spring Creek 12

The most anticipated game of the week happens just outside of Goldsboro. Old rivals from Johnston County clash with their Wayne County counterparts. Princeton (9-1, 4-1) @ Rosewood (6-4, 4-1). Rosewood hosts the Dogs and this is something both sides have been looking forward to. Princeton comes off of a beating of Lakewood and rolls into the game looking to keep their win streak alive. While Rosewood hopes to contain the explosive offense Led by Johnny Fraiser and Micheal Wooten. Sound football and a bunch of breaks will have to go Rosewoods way for a win this week. Princeton is stout and Rosewood is on the rise. The key to victory for the Eagles will be reading their keys defensively and playing mistake free on offense. The keys to victory for Princeton, allow your horses to run. Control the clock get Fraiser and Whack going early, defensively have no lapses, play Princeton football and get the win. As much improved as Rosewood is I just don't think the Eagles can get over this hump. Princeton 43- Rosewood 28

James Kenan (9-1, 6-0) is idle this week and hoping to get over some guys being banged up. The Tigers hope to get a good draw for the playoffs and continue their dominance since the hiccup back in August. The Tigers will be playing against themselves this week James Kenan First Offense 31 - James Kenan Scout Defense 20.

This post was edited on 11/6 11:00 AM by JeffFriday

great post jeff friday and i agree. thanks for the great info! good luck too all cc teams and hope fans pack the stands.

Thanks rswdstu,

Looking forward to all teams playing deep in the playoffs, It's been a good realignment for the Carolina Conference already, teams playing deep in soccers playoffs both years, a football state championship, volleyball state championship, some great mens and women's basketball, not to mention Eagles baseball and the trending up of all baseball in the conference, some really good tennis action from what I've heard, not sure about most other sports, I do know that the Sutton kid from JK won an individual state championship last year in track, long jump I think. This is a very athletic conference and I think the realignment while maybe not as appealing at first has been good for all eight teams.

hats off too princeton high as they won tonight 52-12 over rosewood. huge crowd on hand and a hard fought game. on too the playoffs. heard spring creek won over n-duplin...34-14? dont know if that score is correct. rosewood-princeton football games are always special. miss those friday nights many a year ago.

If Spring Creek won tonight, they've got two wins and they're probably in the playoffs. They're a big 1-AA school, so that would presumably push Princeton down the list, if this works the way I think it does.

The Dawgs are playing good football right now. They'll be a handful for any team, in 1-A or 1-AA. Would be neat for them to fall to 1-A and the Carolina Conference get a chance at sweeping the state titles this season.

jsc, the top reporter for the goldsboro news-argus gave me the scores and i asked him how that would effect the playoffs(1-a---1-aa) and i was told it was a prep school win or lost that i forgot. he told me that by 1.00pm tomorrow all would be more clear. i do know rosewood is big 1-a and will be on the road somewhere next friday night and im packing my travel bag.

That was assuming that everyone would win who was supposed to win and everyone who was supposed to lose would lose. If that had happened, the split was at 516--and Princeton and Pine Lake Prep are both at that number. One would have been 1-A and the other 1-AA. But Pender and Spring Creek, both big 1-A schools, just upset that applecart by getting a second win that they weren't expected to get. In the absence of any other developments, that should move the split higher up the list, if I understand this correctly.

Well, I just noticed that Albemarle, a small 1-A, is having to forfeit a bunch of wins and is now 1-10. That should mean the split is one place higher.

This post was edited on 11/8 12:17 AM by jsc1973

Spring Creek did win 47-28. Great win for those seniors! I think it was the first win ever at North Duplin.
Is Spring Creek a playoff team? No., if they get a invite I hope they decline it. Let some other team sacrifice themselves to Wallace or JK.

great point jsc, i think rosewoods number is at 539. still think we are on the road somewhere next week.

Carolina Conference had all 7 teams make the playoffs, good luck to all teams and schools, I like the chances of an All-Carolina Conference East Regional in Warsaw for the 1-AA.

i agree...and all cc teams will play hard and hopefully make noise in the n.c. playoffs. good luck too all teams!!

As I have done before I will attempt to look at all games played by CC members this week, this list will be thinned some next week I think, but hopefully not at all...

Will start big and move small with the over ranking of the game

1-AA East

1 Wallace Rose Hill
16 Spring Creek

This game doesn't look any better than the preliminary match up the brackets had the Gators at James Kenan. Wallace has a host of backs that can break away from the best defenses, and the speed and fluidity of their no huddle Wing-T formation is something to behold. The Dog defense is smothering and plays hard nosed. The Gators will have no match for the Dogs this week, I was wrong last week about Spring Creek, but again calling this as I see it. Wallace-Rose Hill 63 - Spring Creek 0.

2 James Kenan
15 Pender

An old Tri-County matchup the Tigers have won the last two meetings and this year doesn't seem to be any different. the Tigers week off and rest hopefully went their way. Pender has a fast scat back from what I've heard. One man won't affect the Tigers this week. James Kenan 54- Pender 8

14 Hobbton
3 Tarboro

Hobbton hasn't fared well against teams with winning records this year, and this is tough making the drive to Tarboro, the Vikings have been traditional powers coming down from 2-A but haven't found any solace yet in 1-AA. The trio of rushers Farmer, Clapp, and Pippen run all over the Wildcats this week. Tarboro 56 - Hobbton 6

4 Princeton
13 Northampton

Don't know a lot about Northhamption, maxpreps shows Xzavier Bell as their leading tacklers and William Cumbo the running back that gets a majority of the carries. This team shouldn't trouble the conference runner ups. Princeton 62 - Northampton 16

9 East Carteret
8 Rosewood

This game should be fun to watch, Rosewood comes off a tough loss to rival Princeton let's hope the quick turnaround and homefield give them the advantage here. The Eagles have had some ups and downs this year but this EC team has to travel a good ways and that can fatigue guys even at the high school level. On the field I think Rosewood has too much talent this week, next week is another story... Rosewood 34 - East Carteret 19

1-A East

11 Colombia
6 Lakewood

The Leopards look to get back to some former 1-A glory, and they host a down Colombia team making a long drive from the beach, Lakewood will dispatch a Wildcat team for the second straight week. Lakewood 33 - Colombia 0

9 North Duplin
8 Northside (Pinetown)

An early season rematch awaits the Rebels, from a team that handed it to the boys in green last time they played back in August. The Rebels let me down last week in the game against Spring Creek, don't know if my feelings have healed, back to the drawing board for the Rebels, hopefully the programs first JV team in 13 years pays off for the future. Northside 38 - North Duplin 13

Surviving Teams: Whoever said it's not whether you win or lose that counts, probably lost.
James Kenan
Princeton
Lakewood
Rosewood

Better Luck Next Year: A day without sunshine is like, you know, night!
North Duplin
Spring Creek
Hobbton

This post was edited on 11/13 9:37 AM by JeffFriday

great post jeff friday!! ..i have my rhs eagles vs east carteret a close game. looking forward too a great football game and welcome all! from east carteret high too rosewood tomorrow night. its gonna be cold and there will be hot-choc as great food in the concession. good luck too all cc teams!!!!

Good luck to your Eagles tonight stu. Will be pulling for my Dawgs and all Carolina Conference teams tonight!

thanks old dawg and good luck too the bulldogs!! rosewood 54 east carteret 19...tight 1st q...my eagles have huge,huge task next friday night. #8 helt qb,#6 woodard# and #1 altomanser played a heck of a game on offense and im glad they are coming back next year.

Wow. I had a feeling the Rebels might beat them in the rematch--from what I heard, ND basically beat itself back in August, but I didn't think they'd win by four touchdowns.

Princeton must have let the JVs play the whole second half. I heard that score was 42-6 at the end of the first and 70-22 at halftime. Of course, we'll hear how bad their defense is because they once again allowed a bunch of points with a team of players out there who would never see the field against a better opponent.

I went out to the Rosewood game tonight. East Carteret was actually up eight and driving near midfield when the Eagles' Garrett Tyndall wrestled a pass away from an EC receiver for an interception. On the next play, Marquail Almontaser juked half of EC's defense out of its heels and turned a short pass into a 49-yard touchdown that tied the game. After that, it was all Rosewood.

EC's defense is really weak. Not sure how they held Princeton to only 56 a few months ago.

Jsc, our backups pretty much played 3 quarters last. Cant say I agreed with coaches decision there but it is what it is.

Originally posted by jsc1973:
Wow. I had a feeling the Rebels might beat them in the rematch--from what I heard, ND basically beat itself back in August, but I didn't think they'd win by four touchdowns.

Princeton must have let the JVs play the whole second half. I heard that score was 42-6 at the end of the first and 70-22 at halftime. Of course, we'll hear how bad their defense is because they once again allowed a bunch of points with a team of players out there who would never see the field against a better opponent.

I went out to the Rosewood game tonight. East Carteret was actually up eight and driving near midfield when the Eagles' Garrett Tyndall wrestled a pass away from an EC receiver for an interception. On the next play, Marquail Almontaser juked half of EC's defense out of its heels and turned a short pass into a 49-yard touchdown that tied the game. After that, it was all Rosewood.

EC's defense is really weak. Not sure how they held Princeton to only 56 a few months ago.
I am not going to say anything about the Princeton D when you put 42 up in a quarter who needs a defense.

Princeton shouldn't have to worry about a game until Thanksgiving week...

Impressive showing last night from the conference. A special shout out for Rosewood and North Duplin for their impressive wins!

old dawg, i feel coach minor made a solid decision too put in the non starters. no need too run up a score..do not want any starter hurt in a fluke situation...give the young guys game time for they will be the starters next year...rosewood did this the 4th q and i saw some promising upcomers!.. a win is a win...score does not matter. good luck too all cc teams next week!!!!

You to stu, wasn't second guessing the coach, just asking if my opinion met most others. Believe he handled it 100% correctly, just like to hear others opinions in case I missed something. We all have to blink sometimes lol. Good luck ti the Eagles this Friday.

old dawg, we (rosewood) are going too need all the help we can get as we travel too play a top notch wallace rose hill team.

Carolina Conference Games Playoff Week 2
The first week ended strongly for the conference with a number of teams moving on.

Let's start with the small 1-A bracket.

North Duplin @[/B]
Plymouth

The Rebels come off a big victory after looking to keep playing at a high level, this is a Plymouth team that doesn't take kindly to visitors. Plymouth is averaging 47 points a game and isn't allowing many. While the Rebels have allowed at least 40 in five of their losses. This recipe doesn't bode well for the Rebels, but I think that as long as the Rebels don't turn the ball over too much they can score points. Not enough points. Plymouth 48 - North Duplin 18[/B]

Lakewood @ Pamlico
County

This game should be closer than the hometown Hurricanes like. Lakewood is strong and can put up points as they have showed in the past two weeks. The Leopards have to find a way to stop the offensive juggernaut that Pamlico has been. I think like the Rebels Lakewood can score, this time the Conference gets to move past in the upset pick this week. Lakewood 28 - Pamlico 22

Rosewood @
Wallace-Rose Hill

Unfortunately for Rosewood there season will come to an end this evening. I hate it for the Eagles, they have played some fine football this year, and have a lot to look forward to coming up next season. The Eagles must be able to pass the ball well in order to strike at the Wallace-Defense, the Dogs Secondary isn't as talented as their front 7, not to say they aren't good. If Rosewood can keep the Wallace D off balance they have a shot to score points, however the fastest Wing-T in the
state can light the scoreboard up better than most. Wallace-Rose Hill 56 - Rosewood 6

Camden County @
Princeton

The Dogs face their stiffest competition since an early conference loss to James Kenan. Camden is a defense that ballhawks. They have 14 interceptions on the season and hope to have some more success against a pass happy Princeton team. However Princeton isn't just a one trick pony and takes to the ground to pound the Bruins. Princeton 51 - Camden 14[/B]

Riverside @ James
Kenan

The first competition for the Tigers in the 2014 Playoff comes in the form of Riverside, a team that can score points in a hurry. The QB Wilson, for the Knights has accounted for 1500 yards on his home. He is an athlete and in the highlights I have seen on the Blitz and other shows, he is quick. Not to discount the rest of the offense but, it is my opinion that if the Tigers stop Wilson's playmaking Kenan will be moving on. James Kenan 49 - Riverside 28
In a Recap

Third Rounders: Princeton, James Kenan, Lakewood
Going to the Princeton @ Wallace game next weekers: Rosewood, North Duplin, Spring Creek, Hobbton

as always...great post jeff friday...yes, my rosewood eagles lost too a very good wallace rose high team. and cannot wait till the 2015 rosewood high football season as we lose some great players but have alot of talent coming back.

Princeton made their game tonight harder than it should have been, but ended up winning going away.

You wouldn't know it from the score, but the defense was a lot better than the offense or special teams tonight. Questionable special teams play and even more questionable offense got Princeton in a 16-6 hole in the first quarter--two kickoff returns by Camden to set up short TD drives, a fumble by Princeton and a safety allowed when Princeton tried to pass out of the end zone after the defense had bailed them out with an interception. The Dawgs didn't take their first lead, at 20-16, until 3:26 before halftime. Adrian Whack ran 57 yards for a TD on the first play of the third quarter, then Camden drove for a score (their only one without benefit of a short field) to make it 26-22, but two more Princeton scores before the end of the third put it away.

Dawg defense had three INT's and also stopped Camden three times on fourth down in Princeton territory--and arguably two more times, where the refs couldn't seem to tell if Camden had made a first down or not...better not get started on those refs though. Let's just say I hope I don't see them again. Anyway, a great win by the kids on the Princeton football team, winning the game decisively without a whole lot of help.

jeff friday called it...a big shoutout!! too lakewood high! as this team moves on too the next round. also a shout out! too the north duplin rebels who had a great season! 2 huge carolina conference teamsplay next friday night...(princeton at wallece rose hill)---(tarboro high at james kenan)...lord willing..im going too both schools and watch some great football!!!

The Lakewood has played the last three weeks they are peaking at the perfect time. The Leopards can advance this week too...

Going to make my picks early this week, as I'll be traveling Thursday and Friday. This week see's three of the top four CC teams still alive.

Starting small.

7 South Creek @ 6 Lakewood
Two talented teams locking horns in between Salemburg and Roseboro. These two teams had to score some road upsets last week, and now Lakewood gets the advantage of being back at home. This bodes well for the Leopards who don't have to deal with a two hour drive. South Creek has a JR. RB that can play some ball averaging a touchdown every game and rushing for over 1500 yards he is no slouch. Their QB seems to like to run as well rushing for around 600 yards. This game should be a dogfight till the end. I'm going to take Lakewood again as they are playing hot right now. Lakewood 32 - South Creek 27

4 Princeton @ 1 Wallace-Rose Hill
Throw out the records, the stats, the ego's, this game is the one that everyone has wanted to see since James Kenan barely snuck by the Northern Dogs back in early conference play. The Southern Dogs are favored and rightfully so. This game has been changed due to the fact that the Southern Dogs have an injured starter at QB although if they can find any kid at all to hand the ball to the bevy of running backs that come with the fastest Wing-T in football. Frasier and Company have to be balanced defensively, what the Southern Dogs do they do as well as anyone and what they Northern Dogs do, is score with anyone. This game is an enigma for both teams, there is no clear cut way that this can go. But knowing the talent and depth that each team can bring to the table there is only one other place to give an edge. The edge is the Southern Dogs coaches. They have been here before, their athletes have been here before on this stage in this atmosphere. The attitude for the Southern Dogs is win at all cost. That is something I didn't see from the Northern Dogs when I saw them this year. They are a fantastic team but Wallace gets the edge. Finally Wallace will expose holes in the Princeton Defense that the Northern Dogs fans don't like to acknowledge. Wallace-Rose Hill 52 - Princeton 41

3 Tarboro @ 2 James Kenan
The other game this week is a Vikings and Tigers matchup that couldn't be more excitement packed into two teams that can run double tights all night. This game will come down to mistakes. No doubt about it, Tarboro has executed much better this season than the Tigers. The Tigers will have to play sound defense as the Tarboro wishbone will make it difficult for the Tigers to key on any one player. All three backs have the ability to scorch opponents and the quarterback is quick enough to do damage with his feet and the air. The Tigers toughest test this postseason happens this week. I think the Tigers can score on Tarboro's defense although it will be tough, Tarboro isn't the same team from last year that got laughed out of the playoffs by Wallace. This is the Tarboro you don't want to mess with. Playing mistake free will win this game, I see the Tigers as a favorite only because of the sound football they CAN play on defense. The Tigers will also have to look to their evolved passing attack to create havoc on the edges and loosen the grip of Tarboro's run stoppers. James Kenan 22 - Tarboro 21

again..great post jeff friday and good games and great teams playing this friday night. have a happy and blessed thanksgiving.

I can't argue with the analysis. Wallace is at home and they have a decided edge anytime either team goes to the bench. But Princeton's been in this situation before. They were in the 1-A regional final in 2012 and everyone knew how big the second James Kenan game was last year, even if it was in the second round. No other team played JK that close in the playoffs.

These kids have been close for two years and haven't quite gotten it done, and this is the last chance to do it. Princeton will still be a good team next year, probably even finish second in the Carolina again, but without Johnny and a few other key seniors, they're not going to be on this stage.

JSC The Southern Dogs have a lot of weaknesses on the Defensive side of the ball they just have more explosion on offense, they won't hurt you through the air, but they will take it to you on the ground. Their offensive line can be neutralized and their inside runs can be stopped as James Kenan proved early in the year. But it's hard to contain that much talent and that much speed all game. Princeton has been close, but I guarantee they haven't been in this type of atmosphere. Legion stadium is a tough place to win. The ball takes funny hops at the pound.

I have to agree Jeff...there's no way Princeton beats Wallace at Wallace...I would still favor wallace at Princeton but there'd be a chance. Beating WRH at WRH is harder than beating JK at JK...that really hurt me to say that but it's the truth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT