ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Gibbons to 4A?

Pretty cool of a school to request to be classified up. I don't think it is arrogance, just fair logic. Most schools are trying to find ways to slink down a class. My thoughts are that the request will be denied in mid term due to scheduling conflicts for others in all sports.

Originally posted by Godevilsgo:
Pretty cool of a school to request to be classified up.
The PAC-6 is "class up" in theory only. It's the worst 4A conference in the entire state and has 5 of the worst 4A teams in the state in it.

Personally, I think anyone begging to join the PAC-6 - especially when there are much better conferences closer to you - is afraid of playing real competition. "Sure we'll class up...as long as you put us in that really bad conference over there in the corner with all of the really bad teams in it."

That doesn't really sound like bravado to me.

Could it be a political move with so e foresight. They are pretty dominate in the Olympic / country club sports. Too much success could backfire on the parochials. As long as they are 4A I do not think there will be much backlash except for Bishop McGuiness.

Someone noted a at seems to have more success than Catholic had at 3A. Simple, CG is not competing against the Big Four schools that are very closely bunched to Catholic. Christian is a powerhouse and the other three are very strong also.

Maybe they do have other reasons but let us set aside the football aspect of it. Gibbons has been dominate in lady sports, men's tennis, soccer, etc... Money is no object when they want the next great 6'3' hitter on the volleyball team. They rule the country club sports. It will not matter what conference they are in for 4A in those sports.

Football I would think is a minor portion of this move. Money is not a problem for an athletic budget at Gibbons. Football is the revenue sport but they can get lots of cash to support the other sports. It will not matter what conference they are in for the sports they keep dominating. The 3A crowd has had enough and they know it. They could wait the two years out and dominate those sports again. Every other public school would, right?

will never happen...Bishop offered to do same thing in 1A and board shot it down......basically said too bad if they win....

Originally posted by bareman:
will never happen...Bishop offered to do same thing in 1A and board shot it down......basically said too bad if they win....
I think there may be a different feeling in Chapel Hill after the coup d'etat from a few years ago that tried to push the parochials out.

There are several schools in each classification that will be realigned in 2 years. I still like the idea of placing schools in thier proper classification for the playoffs regardless of the classification they played in during the regular season. Also realigning every two years would help fix the problem.

I am totally surprised by the jump in students at Southern. Are the numbers accurate and if so were they the accurate the last few years?

great question!!
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by bareman:
Big difference was Bishop still had 1A numbers while CG is now at 4A numbers. CG had a conference accepting them and one oking them leaving. They went out and organized that vote before they went to the NCHSAA. Bishop had a conference that would let them leave but did not have one inviting them with all arms open.

Something that is still on the table is playing up in certain sports that a school excels in but that would be all schools and a set path to this not just a parochial deal. I do not like that. If a school is the best in their class then let them stay there. It is not their fault others cannot keep up.

Another issue is the schools that are counting magnet program students from outside their district that do attend the high school or their students going to early college. Albemarle is a prime example. They have 200 students at a charter school. They would still be 1A but their numbers are skewed because the majority of their basketball and footballers are never looking at leaving Albemarle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT