ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Hood commits to UNC

congrats...good luck at UNC....(hope they're smart and keep em at QB...)

Not saying he won't play QB at UNC, but his best chance to see the field early will be at another position. Sam Howell still has 2 years, and they have an Elite 11 kid coming in as a freshman right behind him. In his commitment interview, he said he would be given the opportunity to choose his position with Gillespie(RB Coach) wanting him to play RB, Galloway wanting him to play receiver, and Bateman wanting him to play DB. Not a bad luxury to have, basically being able to pick what position you play haha

Not saying he won't play QB at UNC, but his best chance to see the field early will be at another position. Sam Howell still has 2 years, and they have an Elite 11 kid coming in as a freshman right behind him. In his commitment interview, he said he would be given the opportunity to choose his position with Gillespie(RB Coach) wanting him to play RB, Galloway wanting him to play receiver, and Bateman wanting him to play DB. Not a bad luxury to have, basically being able to pick what position you play haha

man... just seems like a waste of such a good arm an QB mind... one of the better QB's to come from that region.

man... just seems like a waste of such a good arm an QB mind... one of the better QB's to come from that region.

There is no denying that he has a good arm, but playing QB on the college level is a different animal. Isn't he only 5'10 as well. I think he is a superior athlete that will find a perfect fit for his college position and will be a contributor throughout his time in Chapel Hill.

Reactions: btango
There is no denying that he has a good arm, but playing QB on the college level is a different animal. Isn't he only 5'10 as well. I think he is a superior athlete that will find a perfect fit for his college position and will be a contributor throughout his time in Chapel Hill.
I'm guessing safety or DB. If offense a receiver or back. If hes only 5ft10 there's no way hes playing QB.

I'm guessing safety or DB. If offense a receiver or back. If hes only 5ft10 there's no way hes playing QB.
I have seen him listed from 5'10 too 6'1. I think he is 6'0 since I have stood in front of him. I don't think his arm streath is not major D1. Most Saturdays he will be the best athlete on the field.

Reactions: 704CougarsDad
Seen him do a crazy windmill dunk. Most 6ft5 players cant do that and hes doing it at 6ft? Hes definitely a D1 talent. A lot of bigtime NCAA, NFL players were QBs in high school.

A hundred years ago, I was a manager for the football team at UNC. My freshman year, Coach Dooley signed eleven high school quarterbacks in our class. Only two stayed at that position for their college careers. His philosophy was that the quarterback is usually the best athlete on the high school team, is usually cerebral, and can adjust to other positions in college. Worked fairly well for his career at UNC, Wake and Va. Tech.

A hundred years ago, I was a manager for the football team at UNC. My freshman year, Coach Dooley signed eleven high school quarterbacks in our class. Only two stayed at that position for their college careers. His philosophy was that the quarterback is usually the best athlete on the high school team, is usually cerebral, and can adjust to other positions in college. Worked fairly well for his career at UNC, Wake and Va. Tech.

Who were the two that remained at QB? Did any become starters at other positions?

Love this type of historical football chatter!

I don’t think him competing at QB early is so much about his height but touch and accuracy.

He may eventually play QB but the odds are much greater he will end up at another position. Regardless, he is living the dream!

Reactions: Raiders Rollin
Who were the two that remained at QB? Did any become starters at other positions?

Love this type of historical football chatter!
Nick Vidnovic and John Klise. Nick died of cancer in 2007, and John worked in Thomasville after graduation at Thomasville Furniture. Not sure where he is now.
Sammy Johnson from High Point Central also played some qb in high school. Moved to fullback and later on some NFL rosters.

Nick Vidnovic and John Klise. Nick died of cancer in 2007, and John worked in Thomasville after graduation at Thomasville Furniture. Not sure where he is now.
Sammy Johnson from High Point Central also played some qb in high school. Moved to fullback and later on some NFL rosters.
Was Don McCauley on any of the teams while you were there?

If this was his decision then good for him. I don’t like to see athletes choose a school based on a family members wishes. He will be the best athlete on the field and Brown will utilize him where he has the best potential to shine which is about any skill position on offense!

Reactions: Raiders Rollin

Sad about Nick! I was a big fan of his. Injuries derailed him a bit. He was a high school star in northern Virginia.

Sammy has a nice career!

Was Don McCauley on any of the teams while you were there?
Don’s senior year was my freshman year. Though we still had a freshman team, I was able to take my brother’s place as a varsity manager. One of my proudest moments was watching his 279 yard rushing performance that broke O.J. Simpson’s rushing record. Five td’s against Dook in our last game in Chapel Hill. The good news is that we won the game. The bad news is that Don ending up dating the girl I brought to the post game party. To the victor go the spoils, I guess:).

Sad about Nick! I was a big fan of his. Injuries derailed him a bit. He was a high school star in northern Virginia.

Sammy has a nice career!
Another qb from Virginia that changed positions was Mike Mansfield. He was ahead of me, but was a beast at linebacker. One of the strongest players I ever saw.

Another qb from Virginia that changed positions was Mike Mansfield. He was ahead of me, but was a beast at linebacker. One of the strongest players I ever saw.

He coached at UNC and was instrumental in getting LT to UNC. Mansfield was one of the many Virginia especially Tidewater recruits of Dooley. Mike passed away in 2013.

There was a period of time that UNC dominated Virginia recruiting, especially the Tidewater.

There was a period of time that UNC dominated Virginia recruiting, especially the Tidewater.

My all time favorite, Mike Voight!! Was a big Famous Amos fan, also!

Brooks Williams another Tidewater recruit from that area and long NFL career that passed away over ten years ago.

Bill Span was captain of the party committee.

Reactions: ocdavis31

I think we may be getting back to those days. Va Tech and Virginia are both struggling to keep the top talent in state. Mack Brown and Dre Bly are firmly putting themselves in back in Virginia and making it a priority.

Don’s senior year was my freshman year. Though we still had a freshman team, I was able to take my brother’s place as a varsity manager. One of my proudest moments was watching his 279 yard rushing performance that broke O.J. Simpson’s rushing record. Five td’s against Dook in our last game in Chapel Hill. The good news is that we won the game. The bad news is that Don ending up dating the girl I brought to the post game party. To the victor go the spoils, I guess:).
Great story. We meet Don tailgating a few years back. He just stopped and talked to us for 30 minutes. Great guy.

I dont know about any of you guys, but I personally met Mack Brown yesterday as he was in town paying Richmond a visit. Though I do not know what the intent of the visit was about since Caleb Hood has already committed to UNC. I can only guesstimate that he came to speak with possibly Davis, Stroman, and Tillman.
Mack.jpg

Four of his teammates have committed to play college ball in the last two days. Go RAIDERS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT