ADVERTISEMENT

Bunker Hill

Bunker Hill named DC Albert Reid head coach. In my opinion, that was a smart move. Bunker will be tough in their conference. I do not envy Lincolnton who opens conference play against the Bears.
Lincolnton has a murderers row for their non-conference schedule.....I would think that they would welcome Bunker Hill over there ....in Howling Wolf Valley!...to start conference play.
I will agree that the Bears are gonna be a tough out for all the conference teams.

Speaking of tough non-conference schedules.....West Caldwell....should welcome conference play...as well!

Reactions: citylunch guru
I hope the bears do well, this year, not against us, though, as we need all the help we can get.
At one time, Bunker Hill was a tough match for anybody.
The two most memorable BH games, for me, was when they beat us the first time, maybe around 1972 or 73. They had a running back named Jesse Rector.
The other notable game must have been in the mid 1980’s ( I’d guess from 1983 to 1986, somewhere in that time frame). It was the playoffs, and we had already been sent home. I was looking for a game to go to but one not so far away. North Rowan was playing The Bears who were, that year, being led by longtime Maiden Coach Tom Brown. He had left Maiden for a short stint, there.
They were playing North Rowan, and were a big underdog (BH, that is). North Rowan was billed as a very good team coming in and I didn’t want to sit there and freeze, watching a one-sided game, but that’s where I ended up.
Sure enough, it was a one-sided game, just that the bears were doing all the scoring. Coach Brown, using his Maiden version of power football punched holes in the North Rowan line for four quarters, and used a strong running back with a low center of gravity named Stuffy Hewitt (possibly Huitt) to pick up first downs and score one touchdown after another. I don’t recall the score but it was a decisive win.
Another reason I like BH is because of a young man that came to Lincolnton from Claremont, almost fifty year ago. I got to know him from his being in the same line of work ( I guess is what you’d call it) as me.
He had played football and baseball for the bears in his high school days. He would tell me sports stories which I always enjoy listening to.
Once, I told him that I heard a story about a baseball game played at Bunker Hill, in which they were playing a Lincoln County school (not Lincolnton). After a lengthy exchange of words one of the BH players locked the gate so as to keep anyone from running away, and a pretty big fight ensued. He confirmed that it happened and that he was playing in this game. He also told me the player (from Lincoln County) whom he said started the fight; so I’m hoping they will do well for my buddy who is originally from Claremont.
Friends, about that Lincoln County school, I purposely withheld the name of it to avoid embarrassing anyone, but if you’re wondering which one it was, I can tell you the name rhymes with Quest Lincoln.
Please forgive the digression, I just wanted to wish the bears all the best and look forward to playing them. I hope we can make a game out of it.

Last edited:
I hope the bears do well, this year, not against us, though, as we need all the help we can get.
At one time, Bunker Hill was a tough match for anybody.
The two most memorable BH games, for me, was when they beat us the first time, maybe around 1972 or 73. They had a running back named Jesse Rector.
The other notable game must have been in the mid 1980’s ( I’d guess from 1983 to 1986, somewhere in that time frame). It was the playoffs, and we had already been sent home. I was looking for a game to go to but one not so far away. North Rowan was playing The Bears who were, that year, being led by longtime Maiden Coach Tom Brown. He had left Maiden for a short stint, there.
They were playing North Rowan, and were a big underdog (BH, that is). North Rowan was billed as a very good team coming in and I didn’t want to sit there and freeze, watching a one-sided game, but that’s where I ended up.
Sure enough, it was a one-sided game, just that the bears were doing all the scoring. Coach Brown, using his Maiden version of power football punched holes in the North Rowan line for four quarters, and used a strong running back with a low center of gravity named Stuffy Hewitt (possibly Huitt) to pick up first downs and score one touchdown after another. I don’t recall the score but it was a decisive win.
Another reason I like BH is because of a young man that came to Lincolnton from Claremont, almost fifty year ago. I got to know him from his being in the same line of work ( I guess is what you’d call it) as me.
He had played football and baseball for the bears in his high school days. He would tell me sports stories which I always enjoy listening to.
Once, I told him that I heard a story about a baseball game played at Bunker Hill, in which they were playing a Lincoln County school (not Lincolnton). After a lengthy exchange of words one of the BH players locked the gate so as to keep anyone from running away, and a pretty big fight ensued. He confirmed that it happened and that he was playing in this game. He also told me the player (from Lincoln County) whom he said started the fight; so I’m hoping they will do well for my buddy who is originally from Claremont.
Friends, about that Lincoln County school, I purposely withheld the name of it to avoid embarrassing anyone, but if you’re wondering which one it was, I can tell you the name rhymes with Quest Lincoln.
Please forgive the digression, I just wanted to wish the bears all the best and look forward to playing them. I hope we can make a game out of it.
I read that Coach Reid was a stud football player at Freedom…and went on to play ball for Western Carolina. He’s been at Bunker Hill for 10 years now. That’s good stuff! I noticed he also has earned accolades for coaching Bunker Hills’ track team…which we all know have been very good for a long time! Congrats to Coach Reid and good luck to the Bears!

Oh Coach Brown!….he had a good Bears team in ‘85. Those Lexington “Yellow Jackets” were just too good! Lexington won it all in ‘85 and ‘86….put Tom’s Bears out in ‘85 and put Maiden boys out in ‘86!….both were 3rd round games. Good memories!

Btw…. My buddy from over at Howard’s Creek…..calls ‘em “Best Lincoln”! 🤣

Reactions: Lincolnton
MC, back then, Bunker Hill was truly a country school, and that made me like them even more. At the stadium, I recall thinking, "do they know about concrete and asphalt". I was on the BH side of the field at the North Rowan game, and all the seats were taken, but I didn't mind standing. It's just that if I went to the concession stand or restroom I'd have to go down a muddy bank and have to use all my balance to keep from falling on my asphalt. I was there again, in the 1990's and it seemed completely different, but I liked it each time. It's always nice to go somewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
I read that Coach Reid was a stud football player at Freedom…and went on to play ball for Western Carolina. He’s been at Bunker Hill for 10 years now. That’s good stuff! I noticed he also has earned accolades for coaching Bunker Hills’ track team…which we all know have been very good for a long time! Congrats to Coach Reid and good luck to the Bears!

Oh Coach Brown!….he had a good Bears team in ‘85. Those Lexington “Yellow Jackets” were just too good! Lexington won it all in ‘85 and ‘86….put Tom’s Bears out in ‘85 and put Maiden boys out in ‘86!….both were 3rd round games. Good memories!

Btw…. My buddy from over at Howard’s Creek…..calls ‘em “Best Lincoln”! 🤣
We (Catholic) played that '85 Deems May led Lexington wishbone the following week. That was a good team no doubt.

We (Catholic) played that '85 Deems May led Lexington wishbone the following week. That was a good team no doubt.
Good stuff! Ladge!

Deems May!… I had forgotten that! Played for Tarheels and went pro! Chargers and Seahawks.
I just read that his son…another Deems May….is an upcoming senior at Myers Park. He is a TE and wears #88…That’s more good stuff!

Oh…Catholic vs Maiden…back in the 70’s and ‘80’s….it couldn’t get much better than that! Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Good times!

Reactions: UNC91
BH was a great football program in the late 80's early 90's. THey had studs at most positions. Stuffy Huitt was a stud among studs....Great to see them back.

Good stuff! Ladge!

Deems May!… I had forgotten that! Played for Tarheels and went pro! Chargers and Seahawks.
I just read that his son…another Deems May….is an upcoming senior at Myers Park. He is a TE and wears #88…That’s more good stuff!

Oh…Catholic vs Maiden…back in the 70’s and ‘80’s….it couldn’t get much better than that! Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Good times!
Side note. The Catholic/Lexington game was played at Myers Park. Back then our field was too small to host playoff games so we played at Myers Park. So was the Maiden/Catholic game the following year... With Maiden winning on a "Hail Mary"

We played a few Catawba teams that year '85. Bandy's ( with the Parade All American receiver Stanly McDaniel? ) first rd. Newton Conover in overtime in the 2nd rd.

Last edited:
Just found out from a friend who follows Bunker Hill, that 3 kids that graduated signed to play college football . I think under Coach Clark, 5 players to sign. Sounds like Bunker Hill’s staff is doing some good things. I read where the baseball team won only lost one game. Big things are going on at the Hill

Just found out from a friend who follows Bunker Hill, that 3 kids that graduated signed to play college football . I think under Coach Clark, 5 players to sign. Sounds like Bunker Hill’s staff is doing some good things. I read where the baseball team won only lost one game. Big things are going on at the Hill
I haven’t seen Bunker Hills’ baseball team….but they must be really good! Their first nine games, which were all wins, they only allowed one run! That’s incredible!
Tells me…there’s some pitchers over there!

Here is Bunker Hill football schedule

8/20 vs Cramer
8/27 @ St Stephans
9/3 vs North Iredell
9/10 Open
9/17 @ Lincolnton
9/24 vs West Caldwell
10/1 vs West Lincoln
10/8 @ East Burke
10/15 vs Maiden
10/22 @ Newton Conover
I0/29 @ Bandys

Here is Bunker Hill football schedule

8/20 vs Cramer
8/27 @ St Stephans
9/3 vs North Iredell
9/10 Open
9/17 @ Lincolnton
9/24 vs West Caldwell
10/1 vs West Lincoln
10/8 @ East Burke
10/15 vs Maiden
10/22 @ Newton Conover
I0/29 @ Bandys
Just thinking back…..Bunker Hill seemed to turn the corner when they shocked us all …with a 12-9 win over Bandys in ‘19. I’m expecting that last game on both their schedules to be a great one!
I know Bandys hasn’t forgotten it!

Same goes for Maiden and West Caldwell! West Caldwell beat us the last time we played them…..they always play us tough!
I reckon errrbody does!😁

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT