ADVERTISEMENT

btango

No.1RamsFan

Nov 20, 2005
I am interested in how many other states have a 2.0 rule. Do you have any information on this?

None. I am not sure if the states regulate or the local system does in most cases.

Age between states varies. In Florida a player can play in a game until he is 19 years and 9 months old. Have seen teams loss a star player during the
play offs. A player could play in a state title game as long as he does not turn 19 before middle of March.

Most people do not realize when comparing the caliber of HS FB between the states that these differences exist. The fact that kids in systems that have a 2.0 gpa rule have kids who are eligible under the state rules but are not allowed to play because of the LEA rule. These types of things make a huge difference.

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:
I am interested in how many other states have a 2.0 rule. Do you have any information on this?
Question really shouldn't be how many states, but how many counties in NC? It is not that many that do the 2.0 rule in NC.

Current Grade New

100-93 A 100-90
92-85 B 89-80
84-77 C 79-70
76-70 D 69-60

Below F Below

The new grading scale for NC High School.

This post was edited on 1/11 1:59 PM by nepsy7

IMO this would be the ideal time to require everyone statewide to implement a 1.0 rule. Raising standards is a good thing but for some systems to require athletes to have a 2.0 when most can still participate with a .75 puts schools in systems requiring the 2.0 at a disadvantage. Since the new 10 point scale makes a 60 a "D- " then to me there is no excuse in not requiring all athletes to pass all classes to be eligible. In fact, I'd take it a step further and recommend that since a 70 average will become the new "C" average that a move to require a 1.0 be the first step in a phase in where we eventually require all athletes in all systems to have a 2.0. While I am at it I'll say that the NCHSAA should reconsider the 85% attendance rule too.

True. I have expressed my opinion on this far too many times. The NCDPI needs to get involved in this and say that all counties need to do it one way or another. We all know they will not do this because they do not care. A level playing field should be the outcome.

I agree on the 85% rule as well. If a kid misses a lot of days because he is sick at home and is concerned enough to make up all his/her work then these days should not count against him/her. A kid who simply lays out or who may also be sick but is lazy and does not make up the work does not need to pass. I know that there are some kids who are sick and need to be at home but because they are afraid of missing because of this rule go to school and infect many others. Plus the fact that people do not go to the doctor to get a note every time they are sick because of the cost factor. I have never understood the rule that if you are sick and do not have a note those days count against you but if you have a doctors note they do not. The criteria should be whether or not they make up the missed work. My kids were required to do their work at a point in time when they were still too sick to go to school but well enough to do their work. I would get their work every day and if they needed help they would call friends. My requirement was that they turned in all assignments the daay they went back to school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT