ADVERTISEMENT

Brown Mountain lights

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
So I hear about the Brown Mountain lights seen up in Burke Co. Different theories about it. Some said they have seen the lights when they were up on Wiseman View. Curious if anyone on here, especially the ones that live close up in that area has seen these lights. Just a throw in fun topic.

giphy.gif

I saw them as a kid. Dad pulled over on 181 there was a large outcrop of rocks on the upper side of the pull off. Back then there was a road about a quarter of the up the mountain. It was easy to distinguish cars from the Brown Mountain Lights. There’s probably so many houses over there now it might be hard to see em.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Seen YouTube videos of people seeing the lights. One thing that stuck out to me was. One claim to had seen the lights at Table rock mountain and also lights were seen at Brown mountain. At Table Rock on the west side you have the Linville gorge and then on the east side of Brown mountain is the Wilson creek gorge. Perhaps the watershed area along with the above climate has something to do with creating these gas lights that can seen. That I don’t know. Just a thought.

Last edited:
There’s a good overlook on 181. Wiseman’s View is a great place to watch, but that gravel road is brutal.

Clear cool nights seem to be the best. At least in my experiences. Really cool if you haven’t seen them.
I have never seen them, but I know a man who claims to have had an almost supernatural experience with them, circling around him and enveloping him. I agree that old NC 105 is a rough road, but if you come in from the Linville Falls side it is not so bad (go up 221 from Marion or cut across from 181 after you get through the vast metropolis of Jonas Ridge NC) and Wiseman's View is definitely worth the drive.
I do want to take this opportunity to relate a slightly different experience with a magnificent view from the NC mountains. Many years ago, on Christmas Eve, I was at my grandfather's house in Mitchell County. Someone suggested that we go up to the overlook on Roan Mountain (the one that you have to take a trail to get to, that falls off into a sharp cliff) and in those days it was not gated off. We went up there and it was a crisp, clear night. When we got to the overlook you could look out and see the lights of Elizabethton and Johnson City spread out on the ground and the Milky Way stretched out above you. That was probably 40 years ago, and the sight has stayed with me all these years.

Seen YouTube videos of people seeing the lights. One thing that stuck out to me was. One claim to had seen the lights at Table rock mountain and also lights were seen at Brown mountain. At Table Rock on the west side you have the Linville gorge and then on the east side of Brown mountain is the Wilson creek gorge. Perhaps the watershed area along with the above climate has something to do with creating these gas lights that can seen. That I don’t know. Just a thought.
Perhaps people make things up. Perhaps I don’t know what I’m talking about. It wouldn’t be the first time. But I question seeing the BMLs from Table Rock. I wasn’t there so I ain’t disputing his word. But I do question it.

I have never seen them, but I know a man who claims to have had an almost supernatural experience with them, circling around him and enveloping him. I agree that old NC 105 is a rough road, but if you come in from the Linville Falls side it is not so bad (go up 221 from Marion or cut across from 181 after you get through the vast metropolis of Jonas Ridge NC) and Wiseman's View is definitely worth the drive.
I do want to take this opportunity to relate a slightly different experience with a magnificent view from the NC mountains. Many years ago, on Christmas Eve, I was at my grandfather's house in Mitchell County. Someone suggested that we go up to the overlook on Roan Mountain (the one that you have to take a trail to get to, that falls off into a sharp cliff) and in those days it was not gated off. We went up there and it was a crisp, clear night. When we got to the overlook you could look out and see the lights of Elizabethton and Johnson City spread out on the ground and the Milky Way stretched out above you. That was probably 40 years ago, and the sight has stayed with me all these years.
Haven’t been to Wiseman’s in a year. My daughter got married there a little over a year ago. One of our very favorite spots, and my brother has a house in Jonas Ridge. But a year ago, the road was the worst I’d ever seen. My friend, Lincolnton, arranged for a friend of his who was a magistrate, to drive up to perform the wedding. My biggest fear was that she wouldn’t be able to get there. But like the trooper she is, she got there before we did. Great day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT