ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Buddy, there isn't the major highways coming through Albemarle. It's all about "highway" businesses. Charlotte has taken over the banking capital of the South. The high rise buildings there have people who willingly drive an hour a day to get there to work 9 hours a day, drive home to the sub divisions which will be popping up all around 49 soon. It sucks, but it is the way things are going. From a political standpoint and for Stanly County's best interest as a whole that's the best decision they could make. They have tried to revive the 5 points, downtown area of Albemarle several times. It's always bars, unruly behavior, etc....... it's gone.

I agree with with Harris about 49 but they are also widening 24/27 drive shortly past Troy and you will see this. On this side of Troy they have already started clearly out brush for the widening project so yes 49 will be widening to Asheboro but so will 24/27 from Charlotte to 73. Additionally what town has the most available resources new London, Richfield, or Albemarle? Also do you think hobby lobby, TJ Maxx, Ross etc would build and open new stores here if it was going to be a downward trend in Albemarle? Do you not think before investing the money to open here that they would do their homework 5-10 yrs out to make sure it was a sustainable business? Also if they thought the growth would be on the north side why wouldn't they come out to the north side of town? In fact if you are right Harris why in the world is all the growth and new businesses opening on the 24/27?

What two schools are you referencing? North is five miles from Albemarle. Remember when North was built, AHS took in all students that lived in the city limits. At that time the city limits did not go further than were McDonald's is at on Highway 52 North. (Buddy or Dogs9 is that not about where the city limits were located at the time???) North was centrally located for students coming from Millingport to Badin, and the northern part of what is now Albemarle City Limits and Misenheimer/Richfield. It does not look smart now but at the time it was probably the most sensible location.
If I am not mistaken I can remember when the city limits on 52 was right past where the old Western Steer was located.

Look at Kannapolis. Like Albemarle it was also a Mill Town but because it is in Cabbarus County it has a 4a High School. It is more diversified and has Interstate 85 close by. Montgomery and Stanly County has the same problem. We are out in the sticks. As far as bars in town, Food was expensive and where there is mixed drinks People chose that over the expensive food. The problem with small towns.

The 24-27 is just a pass to get to 220/73 bypass. Troy is going to be left out. You have to look at it from a major highway standpoint. Why has the east side of Montgomery County blown up in the last 6-7 years? It's all major roads. Small towns that do not connect to interstates will be left in the dust. If you haven't been to Troy in a while, come on over. There is nothing there. You want to talk about a town that has been left behind come to Troy. If it wasn't for Capel's we'd be in serious trouble. Empty buildings, zero shops, stores, businesses.

Reactions: Warriorsfan109
It's a bypass around Troy. It connects just past Biscoe. Nothing will send business toward Troy.

We went from Plan B to talking about a highway....o_O

#KeepAlbemarleOpen #GoDogs

Then why does Albemarle continue to have NO grow btango. I know for a fact that Snyder's kept out competition because they didn't want to pay higher wages. I know no interstate close by hurts our growth but I disagree with you on certain people wanting to keep Albemarle as it is. The DTDC says they want new business downtown, but nothing ever changes. One business will move in and another will close. The downtown buildings look awful and there is no sign of improving them. They plant trees and improve the sidewalks but everything else stays the same. No matter who we vote in NOTHING changes. Just promises.

May be there are a select few that do not want growth but I would think most institutions in town would prefer growth. Another few thousand people over the next ten years moving in would be a major positive. There may be some business owners that want less competition but you also had a couple of business owners push for the better internet capabilities but that was absolutely destroyed by the Burr side of the county commissioners stating that should be a businesses responsibility to pay for that, not a governments. Got news for them, businesses are not moving to a town that does not understand you have to have the basics in place that other areas have.

Too many professionals that look at taking a job often opt to live in Concord, Charlotte, out in the county, or even Pinehurst in one instance. One of the main issues is the school system and it is not because they are looking at closing one or some, it is because they are not performing. I know one that moved to Charlotte so his child could attend Country Day because he was disappointed with the progress at the school in the western end of the county they were districted to.

May be there are a select few that do not want growth but I would think most institutions in town would prefer growth. Another few thousand people over the next ten years moving in would be a major positive. There may be some business owners that want less competition but you also had a couple of business owners push for the better internet capabilities but that was absolutely destroyed by the Burr side of the county commissioners stating that should be a businesses responsibility to pay for that, not a governments. Got news for them, businesses are not moving to a town that does not understand you have to have the basics in place that other areas have.

Too many professionals that look at taking a job often opt to live in Concord, Charlotte, out in the county, or even Pinehurst in one instance. One of the main issues is the school system and it is not because they are looking at closing one or some, it is because they are not performing. I know one that moved to Charlotte so his child could attend Country Day because he was disappointed with the progress at the school in the western end of the county they were districted to.

Good post @btango, you are absolutely correct.

Strange that you say this, because me and a co-worker was just talking about this topic. Albemarle isn't the only small town that a select few don't want any growth. Kannapolis as well as many other places has this thought process. Where talking about small textile towns that are basically stuck in time. Also, Albemarle suffers from a "Cabal" political system that has been detrimental to the growth of this town and now it's education.

As a professional, I drive 1 hour to work, and these political (including hometown business owners) facetious individuals expect me to invest my income back into the towns economy which is not happening nor will it ever. This town can't provide a good education for my children and expect me to spend dollars and pay taxes that get wastefully spent on Christmas lights uptown(What's the deal with Christmas light being on in the middle of July anyway). They are robbing us blind in this town and now they are reviewing an idiotic decision to close down Albemarle.

Tango, let me ask you this. For Richmond, what is the average travel time for each child via bus? I see a lot of talk about distance being an issue and if NS closes, then they will have to Split between Albemarle and SS.....am I missing something here? Why not just take x amount of millions of dollars and add on to Albemarle? You guys talk like this hasn't happened before. I was there when they tore down the old hallway and added on that included a new library. I believe they added 7 new class rooms then. How much did that cost, and is there a way to achieve this now.

I believe we are missing the obvious here......typical Stanly County thought process.

Btango thank you for that response. I know we disagree at times but I enjoy debating with you because I believe all sides are seen equally through this mess.

Here is my point of view. We have spent numerous resources on these two plans that were not well thought out not researched properly in my opinion the decision against AHS has an extreme amount of bias in it. Additionally through all of this I have not heard one plan to better academics. Like sports it's very tough to be successful if you don't repeatedly pound on the basics. Yes stem classes etc are fantastic and I am all for them however those stem programs for example the magnet school ONLY will have an impact on maybe 20% of your student population and typically those kids are the ones already in AP classes and pushing themselves academically. So what about the remaining 80% of the kids? I can tell you first hand we have a fundamental problem specifically in our elementary schools. Heck they don't even teach cursive, phonics etc. So how in the world can our HS be successful when at the early ages of development we are failing our kids? Every single school of excellence, blue ribbon award winner etc I have seen and been apart of at the early stages of development there is an incredible reading program as well as math and science. They are getting these kids involved and excited. They don't have storage rooms full of construction paper and no phonics learning reading books.

I see all this energy, and effort on closing schools and doing different things with bias to hurt schools to help strengthen their argument but little to no effort strengthening our fundamentals of learning. Sure we have chrome books and supposedly getting iPads next year but our kids are not only not being taught the fundamentals and setting the expectations of excellence at an early age. In fact my belief is if you went to a school of excellence in one of these states ranked in the top ten you would immediately see where our problems are.

In all reality let's be honest we don't have a funding problem we have a mismanagement problem and that starts at the very top. Our funding is line with the school district I came from with the same amount of schools same student population etc. We have a bias problem we have a lack of focus on ALL students at ALL schools and we definitely have a lack of focus on what matters. The bottom line is they need to quit worrying about this and redistrict and get focused on really what is important.

Just like your previous post he took his kid out because of academics, closing 1 school or 50 schools will not better that because there is a mismanagement problem. When you have that problem it starts at the top.

IN regards to your ADM's Brango keep in mind that AHS lost 30-40 during the out of the blue open enrollment period, I'm not sure what our net was in regards to students transferring in etc. Also lets keep in mind that the report card went up for AHS and I believe that trend will continue!!!

To protest the closing of Albemarle high school, I am wearing a red shirt and blue jeans to the game Friday night. Let's send a message to the board. Anyone out there willing to join this peaceful protest? (Go SS!)

Reactions: atucker2
It might not be peaceful if you get anywhere close to the NCC wearing a red shirt. I would hate to see them turn Carl the beast lose on you.

Reactions: Sleehrat84
IN regards to your ADM's Brango keep in mind that AHS lost 30-40 during the out of the blue open enrollment period, I'm not sure what our net was in regards to students transferring in etc. Also lets keep in mind that the report card went up for AHS and I believe that trend will continue!!!

I fully understand that open enrollment hurt the numbers this year but they are still at 450 or less with those students. I did not agree with the open enrollment and the way that was handled.

Good post @btango, you are absolutely correct.

Strange that you say this, because me and a co-worker was just talking about this topic. Albemarle isn't the only small town that a select few don't want any growth. Kannapolis as well as many other places has this thought process. Where talking about small textile towns that are basically stuck in time. Also, Albemarle suffers from a "Cabal" political system that has been detrimental to the growth of this town and now it's education.

As a professional, I drive 1 hour to work, and these political (including hometown business owners) facetious individuals expect me to invest my income back into the towns economy which is not happening nor will it ever. This town can't provide a good education for my children and expect me to spend dollars and pay taxes that get wastefully spent on Christmas lights uptown(What's the deal with Christmas light being on in the middle of July anyway). They are robbing us blind in this town and now they are reviewing an idiotic decision to close down Albemarle.

Tango, let me ask you this. For Richmond, what is the average travel time for each child via bus? I see a lot of talk about distance being an issue and if NS closes, then they will have to Split between Albemarle and SS.....am I missing something here? Why not just take x amount of millions of dollars and add on to Albemarle? You guys talk like this hasn't happened before. I was there when they tore down the old hallway and added on that included a new library. I believe they added 7 new class rooms then. How much did that cost, and is there a way to achieve this now.

I believe we are missing the obvious here......typical Stanly County thought process.

Kannapolis is booming comparative to most mill towns. It is nowhere near what Albemarle is. The Research Campus has brought in business and higher paid employees. One must realize that Kannapolis is in a much better geographical cation than Albemarle.

Albemarle has its own power grid. They are not paying Duke Power for the electricity. This has put Albemarle into a much better financial position than many of its old mill town contemporaries.

Richmond is a larger county by about 100 square miles with about the same number of students in grades 9-12. They have one high school. Probably 80% of the population lives in the Rockingham and Hamlet areas which are in the lower 1/3 of the county. That is why Richmond will never go to two schools.

Plan B, if it means that the Kids that are going to School together are separated to 3 High Schools is a shame. Plan A is way more fair to the Students

Plan B, if it means that the Kids that are going to School together are separated to 3 High Schools is a shame. Plan A is way more fair to the Students

Wake up follower. They are going to stick it to Albemarle any way they can. It's pay back time. Mike Barbee is the only one I have any trust in to do the right thing and he will be outvoted.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Wouldn't it be ironic if the parents who moved so their kids wouldn't attend AHS ended up with their school closed and busing them back in to town?

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Wake up follower. They are going to stick it to Albemarle any way they can. It's pay back time. Mike Barbee is the only one I have any trust in to do the right thing and he will be outvoted.

Barbee would not have a problem shutting Albemarle if he had two guarantees: (1) no Albemarle students to West Stanly or its feeders and (2) no western Stanly school would close. Do not believe that the western Stanly contingent cares about East Albemarle or AHS. They care about themselves and as the slogan goes, "politics make strange bedfellows". They do not want Oakboro to close. When they were faced with Oakboro or Ridgecrest and the school board went into private session they ate their own. Many people in Ridgecrest felt they were sold out.

Last edited:
Barbee would not have a problem shutting Albemarle if he had two guarantees: (1) no Albemarle students to West Stanly or its feeders and (2) no western Stanly school would close. Do not believe that the western Stanly contingent cares about East Albemarle or AHS. They care about themselves and as the slogan goes, "politics make strange bedfellows". They do not want Oakboro to close. When they were faced with Oakboro or Ridgecrest and the school board went into private section they ate their own. Many people in Ridgecrest felt they were sold out.
Btango you are 100% correct with your statement. No one from western stanly wants any students from Albemarle but West Stanly sure didn't mind taking one that is a very good basketball player.

I can tell you right now, Albemarle is not shutting down.

That board can be sneaky all they want, the truth has come to light. This is clear discrimination from the board and will be dealt with appropriately. Mark my word.

Sway...I agree with you. I think this is going to explode. You might see people retire before they shutter the Bulldogs with either plan.

Reactions: sway1532
The people are riled up, I'm telling you....a hard head makes a soft ass is what my parents use to tell me.

I can tell you right now, Albemarle is not shutting down.

That board can be sneaky all they want, the truth has come to light. This is clear discrimination from the board and will be dealt with appropriately. Mark my word.

If the plan was to build one high school to consolidate North, South, and AHS would that be an issue? School would be located off 24/27 at the Connector near the current AMS which would become East ES.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
If they cant beat Albemarle they will shut it down. Hell shut down NS what have they done in the last 20 years? Listen for it, that's what I thought NOTHING and the day you see WELCOME TO NEW LONDON
HOME OF THE FIVE TIME 1A OR 1AA STATE FOOTBALL CHAMPS the devil will be ice skating and hell will be air conditioned

If the plan was to build one high school to consolidate North, South, and AHS would that be an issue? School would be located off 24/27 at the Connector near the current AMS which would become East ES.

Nope, the people wouldn't see any bias there. I even mentioned before that I would love to see AHS and SS consolidate.

Tango your a pretty smart guy and you know that Albemarle is being singled out. Now whether you want to accept that as the truth or not is totally inside your heart and what you believe, I can't make you believe anything, but the truth is black and white.

We will not stand by and let a bunch of political thugs take away something precious to us. This is strong armed robbery and that's a fact.

If the board comes up with a logical plan that doesn't show the bias currently, present it to the communities "openly" we can get back on the right track of providing a better education for our kids.

As far as I can see, this is about saving money on building repairs and has nothing to do with "Raising teachers pay nor adding more classes that will prepare students for the next level". I'm done for now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT