ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

I have not heard one school only two being the least amount. I am not sold on the magnet school at AHS with two or three other high schools. Two would make sense numbers wise a potential third one if the western area sees the growth that is eventually expected. It is a tough one. I do not want any of the schools to close but I am not sure the county can sustain what they have.[/QUOTE

I agree it was closing SS and AHS just AHS would be first then SS I believe.

I have a bunch of issues with the way things are being handled but one of the reasons AHS should be one of the schools to remain is because it is the nicest facility, I believe has one of the largest capacities in the county of 1000 and it is in your main city in the county. There will be an economic impact of not having AHS there.

I agree it was closing SS and AHS just AHS would be first then SS I believe.

I have a bunch of issues with the way things are being handled but one of the reasons AHS should be one of the schools to remain is because it is the nicest facility, I believe has one of the largest capacities in the county of 1000 and it is in your main city in the county. There will be an economic impact of not having AHS there.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Why not merge AHS and NS and put the school on NS' campus? NS is only a mile or two from the city limits so it's practically in Albemarle already. One problem with keeping AHS open is that there's no land for future expansion. NS and SS both have room to grow whereas AHS really does not. Use whatever money you save by not building more schools to buy more real estate. Change the name to East Stanly and create a new mascot so both groups start fresh with new traditions. Grow SS by moving the district line to just south of the city limits, since you are already sending the city kids northward anyway.

Probably a ton of reasons why the above is a terrible idea, but it makes sense to me. Seems that change is going to happen no matter what, so we might as well learn to like it. . . .

Why not merge AHS and NS and put the school on NS' campus? NS is only a mile or two from the city limits so it's practically in Albemarle already. One problem with keeping AHS open is that there's no land for future expansion. NS and SS both have room to grow whereas AHS really does not. Use whatever money you save by not building more schools to buy more real estate. Change the name to East Stanly and create a new mascot so both groups start fresh with new traditions. Grow SS by moving the district line to just south of the city limits, since you are already sending the city kids northward anyway.

Probably a ton of reasons why the above is a terrible idea, but it makes sense to me. Seems that change is going to happen no matter what, so we might as well learn to like it. . . .

AHS has room to expand if needed. NS really don't have the room if notice parking is ridiculous there as is. But behind AHS there is plenty of room to expand plus the school was already built as a 3a correct? So with the capacity being 1000 you would have minimal expansion needed to house even NS plus you keep the community school which through athletics and visiting teams coming in eating at local restuarants and keeping your nicest HS facility open.

I think redistricting needs to be done that alone will save the district money just through transportation. Like sway said I believe a couple of elementary'a need to be closed probably but oakboro with their incredible programs is not one that needs to be.

North Stanly was built as a 3A school. South and West started out as 2A and I think West was possibly the smallest enrollment in the county for several years although it had the largest district.

North probably has the least amount of space to expand with West behind them although I am not sure about South's potential. That is my guess only. North is definitely shoe horned in. Albemarle would have the most space with the area in front of the school on Park Ridge and several of the houses that border the lower parking lot being fairly inexpensive to purchase.

There is no doubt that AHS has the best facility and probably the most upside. Albemarle blew it years ago when they did not buy the land where Spring Arbor and North Albemarle Baptist Church are located. Not sure who owns the land directly behind the stadium's visitor side that is bordered by Mountain Creek Road and the rail road line. There is a huge piece of land for expansion there. From that standpoint AHS has the most upside if combining two or three schools. Rename and rebrand while enlarging the facility may be the best option. You could send some of the North and South students to West Stanly which would need to see some improvements. The best option would be two new high schools but I doubt the funds are there for that.

Great info as always. Isn't there a ton of flat, open space around NS, though? Seems like the market value of that land would be lower than the value of land closer to downtown. Also I think the chunk behind the AHS stadium may have a creek running through it, which can get you into environmental issues and drive up the cost to build. And then there's the demo cost of buying land already developed, which can get really high.

Good discussion.

Ok...I am missing something here. Why does it matter if the current schools have room to expand when we are CLOSING schools? We can't fill the hallways we are already heating. The forecast is for fewer students down the road as well...unless we import students via immigration. I am not trying to be politically incorrect...but, if we are going to need more space...it is cheaper to keep them open along the way. Just an opinion...

I can't believe we're having this discussion....

Can anyone please answer the question of why would they want to shut down Albemarle and send maybe 300 kids to a school that's overcapacity and falling apart; and reinvest millions of dollars in a "Dead Horse"? Hmmmm anybody o_O?

The only logical thing I can see here is to combine Albemarle and North Stanly, but Albemarle being the main school. Invest money for new construction to hold 8-900 kids and be done with it. And combine South and West Stanly and invest. This is not rocket science.

1. Two high schools
2. 3 Middle schools
3. 5 or 6 elementary's
4. Done deal

Kick out those thugs; that want to jump on teachers and bully students, out of school (Three strike rule) and be done with it....!

Nobody is answering the question, this is typical Stanly County for you. Do everything that's illogical.

Great info as always. Isn't there a ton of flat, open space around NS, though? Seems like the market value of that land would be lower than the value of land closer to downtown. Also I think the chunk behind the AHS stadium may have a creek running through it, which can get you into environmental issues and drive up the cost to build. And then there's the demo cost of buying land already developed, which can get really high.

Good discussion.

There is water runoff from the road that runs to the pond by the railroad track. I think that runs behind Spring Arbor but there is still a huge amount of land betweent the stadium and that. You can pipe the "creek" and have parking, ball fields, natural space over it but not a permanent structure. If they needed extra class space you would come off the main entry that faces Park Ridge.

The land beside North Stanly is separated from the school by Gene Road to the north and the railroad to the south (Albemarle side). On the opposite side of Gene Road is the Mauney farm and doubtful they would ever sell that plus the road separating it from the school is an issue. Behind the school is Long Creek which runs behind the Gold's Gym. That is much larger and carries much more water than what runs behind AHS. Not sure how much space is behind the North stadium that they could utilize. You want the buildings to be together as much as possible. The extra spaces would be to move practice fields or parking if those areas were used for building expansion.

Ok...I am missing something here. Why does it matter if the current schools have room to expand when we are CLOSING schools? We can't fill the hallways we are already heating. The forecast is for fewer students down the road as well...unless we import students via immigration. I am not trying to be politically incorrect...but, if we are going to need more space...it is cheaper to keep them open along the way. Just an opinion...

If you go from four high schools to two campuses you would most likely have some space issues. Two high schools evenly enrolled is 1,200 students. I do not think any school has permanent space for more than about 900 maximum.

Remember for years AHS was a three grade school known as Albemarle Senior High School. South went to five grades at one time before the new middle school was built. Not sure if North and West were always four class high schools?

Understand that. I was answering a hypothetical. I think closing one school is not going to get much support and that is why I thought two was the best route.
I understand and your idea probably makes too much sense to be considered. I would hate to hear the uproar when they shutter two schools and build or add on to the others was my point. The bottom line...we have "experts" and lots of ideas but lack the leadership to follow through with plan A or B....or to redistrict? If the Board of Ed. had the community's respect, they could lead and the people would follow. Things unfortunately have turned out like things in DC. There are two camps...no middle ground.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Two new high schools if the funds were available. Starting out the school serving western Stanly is strategically placed geographically for future growth in that area and a potential additional high school 15 years from completion. Two new names based on geography unless we have a Medal of Honor winner in the next couple of years.

Each high school becomes a middle school. Simple. They have the parking, athletic fields, locker rooms, gym, music room, labs, et al. Current middle schools become elementary schools. East moves to AMS which moves to AHS. This would allow Norwood and Aquadale to move to the current SSMS. Norwood seems to be an issue structurally so this is helpful. Aquadale is small and probably not cost efficient. Some of the Aquadale students may be better situated to attend East newly located to AMS.

If Oakboro is an issue going forward for repairs or upkeep WSMS formerly Running Creek is the answer. Oakboro would flip out losing "their" school but with the amount of change going on they would not feel as if they are being picked on. I do think going forward you will see students that live south of 24/27 go to Stanfield and the remainder in that area will go to Locust. East of Locust will combine with Oakboro to attend the current WSMS along wit some from the Ridgecrest area where the othes would continue to Endy.

Not sure how it would work for North Stanly area elementaries.

Just thinking some as I await a connection.

No, the high school will be the middle school. The middle school will be the elementary and the students at the high school will be dispersed

Hard to believe, but yes it is.

Griffin sure does wear her crown proudly. I heard only 2 or 3 people voted last night and the rest were silent which counts as a yes. No one was against it.

Damn....didn't see that one coming. You guys had a hell of a run. I take it that SS, NS and WS will all move to 2A next realignment then?

My daughter is telling me they only voted to research plan B. But it is coming.

Last edited:
They still have to do the hearings AHS will be open next year. After announcing any closures the law states the school must be open 1 more year. Btango If a different BOE was voted in and wanted to keep AHS open at that point they could still do something correct, if it came to that?

I can't believe we're having this discussion....

Can anyone please answer the question of why would they want to shut down Albemarle and send maybe 300 kids to a school that's overcapacity and falling apart; and reinvest millions of dollars in a "Dead Horse"? Hmmmm anybody o_O?

The only logical thing I can see here is to combine Albemarle and North Stanly, but Albemarle being the main school. Invest money for new construction to hold 8-900 kids and be done with it. And combine South and West Stanly and invest. This is not rocket science.

1. Two high schools
2. 3 Middle schools
3. 5 or 6 elementary's
4. Done deal

Kick out those thugs; that want to jump on teachers and bully students, out of school (Three strike rule) and be done with it....!

Nobody is answering the question, this is typical Stanly County for you. Do everything that's illogical.

Maybe if they close enough schools, we can build another Round-a-bout. o_Oo_O

Well if she is appointed, then we have to vote out or replace the people that appointed her. Just that simple.

@bulldog nation2014, even if the school stays open for another year, the transition will start soon. That's like to companies merging. They will start the transition like its going to happen.

ACES has a website on Facebook, they are against any of the schools closing and will have a reply by this evening.

Well if she is appointed, then we have to vote out or replace the people that appointed her. Just that simple.

@bulldog nation2014, even if the school stays open for another year, the transition will start soon. That's like to companies merging. They will start the transition like its going to happen.

ACES has a website on Facebook, they are against any of the schools closing and will have a reply by this evening.

They cannot start any transition until the public hearings are completed. Just like they could not vote until the studies were completed.

So did they vote for Plan B or vote to research plan B? I would imagine that before they could close a school that the research would have to fully justify the closing. I cannot see them being able to justify closing a city school over a rural school such as NS.

Even if that's the case, we have to ask ourselves is this even legal....

The only reason why I say this is, how can the county seat not have a high school? That doesn't make any sense to me...Is this a sign of discrimination(Not racial)?. What is the agenda here?

Keep in mind the current BOE had to do something. If you want to blame a group you need to go back to the BOE that was in place when the Middle Schools were approved. You had one-to two members and the puppets that supported them that need to take responsibility for what's happening now.

I agree. But for some reason, the are pushing hard to go the most illogical route, we have to ask why? What is the true agenda here?

This is communism if you think about it.

Oh yeah, forgot about those past clowns on the board that got voted out and cried about it. But now, we have a bunch of chick peas in a pot and Griffin is doing the cooking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT