ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Buddy Rich

May 24, 2005
In the continuing saga of the SCS's the local paper reports today that the county commissioners will promote a second sales tax referendum this time earmarked for educational funding in exchange for shelving plans to close schools. The commissioners also hinted they might be willing to offer a one time payment to help implement advanced programs within the stanly county schools. As to whether school officials would agree to these terms the superintendent said that would be up to the school board to decide. For more details you can find it in this sundays edition of the Snap or see it online when it comes up. I think they are all feeling the pressure from the community. And the beat goes on.

Yessir!!!!!! Our basketball teams made a run and now it's track, baseball and footballs turn. Go Dogs!!!! I am looking forward to our boys getting out there and playing again. After all these kids have went through this year, I think the Bulldog community is ready for our athletics to start dominating again!!! Great support from our community by the way, hopefully we can continue moving forward and get our academics where they need to be.

We can't let our guard down until the board agrees to cease the plan A and plan B.

This will still have to take care of some redistricting. I hear that the State will cut back on the Budget next year. Will Albemarle name a Head Coach? There are problems to be solved. Stanly County is pro Community Schools but that is not the standard around here anymore. Do We want to be like Cabarrus and Mecklenburg County or do We want to go like the Countys on the other side of of Us?

There are lots and lots of problems with the SCS's, but the one thing that has to be addressed is REDISTRICTING! This has been put back on the shelve for much to long. As for doing anything else for the coming school year I think time is becoming a real issue. They don't even have the busing issue resolved yet. Cost, etc. Lets just get redistricting done and then move on to the other issues. jmo.

After what WS Prep did on the Basketball Court to Our Bulldogs maybe getting out of The 1a where They stick those Schools wouldn't be a bad thing

Originally posted by bulldog nation2014:
I agree Buddy. Redistricting is a must, after that the focus needs to be academics!!!
I agree as well that redistricting MUST be done to address the imbalance in attendance districts in the county. However, looking into my crystal ball, I predict the following:
It's just a matter of time until you hear Representative Burr and the tea party crew raise all grades of **** over any possibility of a local tax increase (even if the people of the county are given the choice to vote it in or out), despite the fact that it is to benefit public schools. Remember that Mr. Burr and his master (Thom Tillis), were instrumental in diverting funds from public education to charter schools and vouchers for private schools, in essence setting public education in NC back decades. (To you Bulldog fans, Burr and Tillis, are BIG supporters of charter schools like Winston Salem Prep, and in turn, a BIG reason AHS is not playing in the big dance next weekend!)If proposed redistricting of students includes moving ANY students
from the Endy/West Middle/West High district into Albemarle, the people
in those areas are going to cry "foul" long and loud. And Mr. Poole
and Mr. Barbee, along with Mr. Burr, will turn like rabid dogs on their
new-found supporters from Albemarle and fight this tooth and nail.
After all, they CAN'T require the people in the existing western
district to have to mix with "the kids from the projects" in
Albemarle, can they?

Let's call it like it is...the whole reason that the western group does not want to have to be partially absorbed by an expanded Albemarle district is RACIAL. WSHS and WSMS are almost completely caucasian. Several of the elementary schools in that end of the county are completely such. AHS/AMS, NSHS/NSMS, and SSHS/SSMS are more diverse, with AHS/AMS being the most diverse.

As for increased taxes, I hate paying taxes as much as anyone. But if our taxes will help get Stanly County Schools off the bottom tier grade-wise in NC, I will gladly pay more than my share. Our kids deserve better than they are getting now.

I agree with You also new dawg. If South was to have went to West it would have stirred the West side of the County up. Nothing will eventually happen to the Schools in this County. Albemarle will fade away without redistricting and then Sports want matter anyway.

What baffles me new_dawg is how mr Poole and mr Barbee have imposed their will on the school board for many, many years and kept redistricting from happening.
You have stated the reasons they don't want redistricting but they have managed somehow to control the school board to their own way of thinking. Guess the other members of the school board were afraid to stand up to them. Even though mr Poole was voted off the board in the last election he is still actively campaning to protect his beloved west stanly. I don't approved of some of the things this school board is attempting to do, but I really hope they approve redistricting and I think they will. Nothing would please me more than for them to bring west stanly into the 21 century.

The push is on now to reopen Ridgecrest and possibly North Albemarle Elementary. Ridgecrest would be a choice K-8 or magnet school. I do not get this! The complete fight was for community schools but now they want a magnet or choice school.

I was told by one man that a middle school concept is the way to go because when young person's life is based on what he does from freshman year of high school on. That is when his grades and classroom achievement is recorded and colleges use this to determine admission. He went onto say that a student needs to be emotionally prepared for freshman year and that a student staying in a community elementary through 8th grade and then being thrown into a high school is not the way to go. I personally would be fine with the middle school concept being 7th and 8th grade but there needs to be a bridge between high school and elementary.

Btango back when I was in school in the 50's I went to West Albemarle Elementary from the 1st thru the 7th grade. Then I went to high school from the 8th grade thru the 12th grade. I think most of us turned out pretty good and we got a good education. Just saying.

I agree with Tango on this one, this does not make any sense...why open back up North Albemarle and Ridge Crest??? Another curve ball I see....

That is not the school board pushing for those that is coming from the community school supporters.

Buddy, I would say that fifty or even 25 years ago the middle school was not as important but it is a different era as well all know. When you were in high school an 18 year old could go work beside his father and mother in the mill making decent wages. Not readily available now. It is tougher to make it to the middle class today and it takes different skills to succeed. This is not only college prep academics but training to learn job skills.

I think a student should be prepared for freshman year like no other. Blow it that year, it is a tough rode to catch up. I also think in middle school the students should start getting an idea of what they would like to focus on in high school and what curriculum they will need the most assistance to do well. As I wrote I would be fine if the middle school was 7th and 8th grade. Honestly, too many mothers want to keep their children on their breast too long, ie keep them nearby and in a secure cocoon. Understandable.

Originally posted by Sleehrat84:
I have chosen today to announce that I will run against Mr. Justin Burr. Donations to my campaign are welcome...and tax deductible...if elected. :)
Due to the way he went about the Speaker's job do you think the Republican Party may look at supporting someone else to run against him? Seems that upset the apple cart in Raleigh.

Gosh how I miss the 50's. The schools were great, no real problems, lots of people worked in the mill or had their own small business. My father had a small specialty business where he sold drugs, notions and specialties to the many man and pop stores in and around Albemarle. He was what was called the middle man. At one time there were 11 mom and pop stores between Albemarle and Red Cross. He made a really good living and so did the small stores he serviced. Had a friend that sold cars at a dealership here in town and especially the people that worked in the mill would trade for a new car just about every year or two. The downtown was busling and it was just a great time to live and grow up in a small town.
Now all of that is gone. I know things never stay the same but sometimes I wonder if what we have today is really called PROGRESS!

Buddy it may not be progress but it may be "keeping up". When I was working I would often talk on the phone or Instant Message with a person in India. That person had a masters degree, spoke and wrote perfect English, was smart as hell, and was happy to be making about $1,300 a month.

Buddy I remember those mom and pop stores as well as neighborhood grills like Austin Street Lunch, Martin's Drive-In, The Pepperpot Cafe , and The Deluxe Grill.Stores like Wal-Mart and Lowes put the mom and pop stores and local hardware stores out of business.I'm glad I got to grow up in a small town when I did.

Austin Street Lunch, Whitley Luncheonette, Central Lunch, Joe's Do-Nut Dinette, and Hal's were all on my lunch schedule. They are all gone now although Joe's does do breakfast after being closed for several years.

The only one left from that era is "The Goody Shop". The food is great and Hugh has a great business. You should eat there next time you are in town btango. Hell I don't know where you live.

Come on Buddy you know that is not "the" Goody Shop. "The" Goody Shop opened at 10pm and closed at 8am seven days a week (closing earlier on Sunday mornings). I have been to the "new" one for lunch when I was in town a few times and it is good!

Yeah you're right but I did eat at "the" goody shop many, many times. We used to get in from a band gig about 3 am and we used to take turns eating at the goody shop and central lunch. Seems like the goody shop stayed open later than central lunch "BACK IN THE DAY".

Was Central Lunch the one referred to as the Green Fly or Greasy Spoon?

Yes that was it.It was across the street from the courthouse and had the best plate lunches in town.

Man all this talk about all the great eating places that are now closed has got me craving a Central Lunch "BREADBURGER".

new_dawg....really lol, that is the most ignorant S*&T I have read thus far lol! But not to turn this into a "Race" debate, and I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, I wasn't born into segregation but I do know it's history, and I honestly dont give "Two" F*$K's about anything before 1983. People in the West can Jim "Crow" all they want if your statement is true...which I don't think it is, but hell you never know with all these suspects out here
smokin.r191677.gif

The former school board rep from western Stanly came out and stated that the only reason the Albemarle crowd was pushing for the magnet school at AHS was racial. Race may play a part but I truly think that the group that is pushing for more advanced academics are not racially motivated but are academic success motivated. That is just my personal opinion.

I will always believe that race is not what determines success but a child's socio-economic situation is the largest factor. I also think a straight A, well behaved student is equally appreciated by the majority of people regardless of their skin color. I am a better person today due to diversity in school, the military, and when I worked in the corporate world. I truly believe that.

Sleehrat84 just being the devil's advocate but how many minorities attend Endy?

...then boredom overtook us...and he began to speak....
This post was edited on 3/12 9:14 AM by Sleehrat84

Originally posted by Sleehrat84:

1. Cut the "we're doing okay" crap...and expect more of our schools and demand results.

2. I say that all the schools should be magnets. If they can't attract students because of their own success and high expectations, close them down.
1. I am 100% with this. Expect excellent behavior and demand maximum effort academically. Provide the schools and teachers the resources and personnel required to do this.

2. I do not think I could support this.

The numbers I saw for West Stanly was less than 15% minority with this being mostly Hispanic students.

After reading what went on at the BOE meeting tonight with Oakboro Officials on facebook. I've got this gut feeling that these board members have already made up their minds to go with Plan A. Sure hope I'm wrong but they don't seem to have all their facts together. Either they haven't done their homework or something. I get the feeling they think they are being bullied by everybody and are going to stand their ground. Not real sure I care for the superintendent that much but I'm afraid the board members might side with her. After all the original Plan A and B came from her. I am worried people. We shall see. Hope I am worried unnecessarily.

After the meeting a few weeks ago one of the board members (not Barbee) reached out stating we need to open lines of communication. I know her, she is/was a straight forward ball buster but a good, solid person. Then Rep Burr uses this situation for more political grandstanding and threatens, then brings the two Bills forward. I think we would have seen more communication between the BOE, superintendent, and community supporters if Rep Burr would have stood down. I have never met Rep Burr or Peter Ascuitto but it seems to me that Burr uses every opportunity to attack him as he singles him out although he is one of seven members and in doing so took some focus from the task at hand. Ascuitto was his opposition in the state race.

This is a link to the audio recording of a prepared statement by Burr from the local radio station. In all honesty the last thing Stanly County needs is for anyone to hear the radio host and Burr, then take a look at the school system as a whole. As we discussed here many of the things Burr attacks are off base and can be looked at from many different views. I do not agree with everything the County Commissioners are doing but Rep Burr comes across as a bully.

http://1010wspc.com/WSPCWZKYNews2-23-15.mp3

Yeah btango I think Rep Burr is hurting the people's cause not helping it. This whole thing has brought out the politician in him as he sees it as a way to further his career. If he will just stay out of it I think the community and the school board can hammer this thing out and come to some kind of agreement. We don't need the schoolyard bully in the mist of what's going on. I also worry that maybe there is a mistrust between the school board and the county commissioners. If we can all come together and work this thing out it could be a new day in the schools of stanly county. But bulling and threating is not the way to get it done. I still don't see how all of this can be hammered out before the start of the next school year. I hope the board will just do the redistricting thing for now and work on the other issues for next year. The school board is taking the heat for bringing this up, but it's something that should have been done many years ago and improvements in our school system in SC is way past due. Lets all try and work together.

I dont feel like reading these long a** posts r they shutting albemarle or not?

Don't know yet KW, but I promise you will be one of the first ones I let know when ever they decide!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT