ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Better to know it now than on October 31st. THIS is a reason to have coaches in the hallways. Doug was alone on campus last year. Pushing a kid to do better takes more than one person pushing. Turn this stat around and the old contender will return....otherwise, I see a 6 win season on the horizon.

6 win season is feasible, but I still say we win 8-9 games this year. This team is better than last years team, lost a lot of seniors yes, but just me personally, I wasn't impressed from the get go. No leadership last year.

I liked the coaches enthusiasm when I went to practice Monday. You can tell that the lingering energy from the last 4 years are still there, but it's getting better.

@Buddy Rich, was #16 the QB most of the time? I really like that kid and I believe it's his position to loose from what I saw Monday.

This is my breakdown from practice Monday:
1. QB will be # 16
2. Our OL and DL will go both ways as I predicted.
3. #33 will be blocking most of the time until ball security is fixed.
4. Our DB''s/WR will go both ways but are solid.
5. Someone needs to give our freshmen 10 gallons of "Protein" shake
6. Sophomores will need to step up to relieve the starters.
7. We will be o.k.

Just by looking at the freshman class, I wonder do they lift weights at the middle school? When I was a Freshmen/Sophomore/Junior/Senior, the freshmen that played sports were already benching 200+lbs.... When I was a Senior I lifted weights with one of the freshmen and he maxed out at 265lbs and the end of the year and I maxed out at 255...( but hell I weighed only 125 :cool:). I don't believe most of them can bench over 125lbs....interesting. Weights are a part of the game...in any sport, track, BB, BaseB, Cross Country, whatever.

But I know it will take about 2 years to see the fruition of our new S & C program.

Sway. Jay told me last night that we had about 20 kids that were inegibile to play this year. Mostly grades I assume. You know anything about this. Jay is usually spot on.

Jay is the one that proclaimed Albemarle would crush Davidson Day after he watched them in warmups. People who had seen DDay play and knew a little about them laughed. In 2001 folks from Albemarle told me that Indy could not stop the running attack.

This is the third year in a row we have started the season with 2 heavyweights. DD and CC. This year Thomasville and Concord. My question is does this prepare us for the reg season or not. We have been crushed the pass 2 years by DD and CC. We might stand a chance against Thomasville but will probably get crushed by Concord. I don't think we want cupcakes to take their place, but maybe somebody in the middle. JMO.
@ Sway. Yes #16 will be the starting qb.

I agree that 8 or 9 is easily doable this year...My 6 win on the horizon is based on a shrinking ADM along with losing 20 to grades. That is a huge number of kids to lose.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
I agree that 8 or 9 is easily doable this year...My 6 win on the horizon is based on a shrinking ADM along with losing 20 to grades. That is a huge number of kids to lose.
I totally agree nipit. Anywhere from 6 to 9 wins this season. Losing that many kids for whatever reason just kills our chances of having a jv team. If we can't get through to these kids that grades and attending class are important we will be in real trouble down the road.

I'll try to make practice tonight. Looks real nice outside, and they have to be doing some hitting today. On Monday, they were still going thru fundamentals, and that's only because of the late start for our HC. But it is now time to start running plays a majority of practice.

No used to go Sway. I went about 6 and they were heading in. Done. Don't know what time they started today but was a different schedule.

Reactions: sway1532
What to expect this coming sat against Charlotte Latin. First Latin. Have seen them for many years and they are always well coached, not real big but very athletic and each one knows how to play his position. We will probably not face a better team this season. Its a big challenge for our kids.
As for Albemarle we will take our lumps sat. I understand that Coach Smith is big on fundementals and that is what our coaches have been doing with these kids since practice started. Think we have made progress but still a long way to go. Since I have seen us run every offense know to man it will be interesting to see them all. But wait. I don't think we will see everything we have. Why. Because Thomasville is coming to town next fri night and I'll bet you Coach Smith will not show all his cards sat. Anyway looking forward to this scrimmage against a very good team. It will definitely be a learning experience for our guys. Go Dogs.
Understand it will probably be played on the main field at 6 pm

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
OK sway. What do you think they will do? I feel sure there will be some closures. Just which and what schools I'm still not sure.

I can almost guarantee they will close Oakboro, Norwood and East Albemarle Elementary schools. What they do with AHS and SS will be the big question.

I heard that a Group had come a couple weeks ago on a Tuesday to recommend the closings. I don't know what They are basing this on except for finances

OK sway. What do you think they will do? I feel sure there will be some closures. Just which and what schools I'm still not sure.

I know for sure that some schools will be shut down, as they need to be. No reason to have so many schools in the county anyway. To expensive to keep them all up. But I'm still not buying that Albemarle should be shut down and turned into a magnet.

Think about it, Albemarle High has the best facility in the county. I wont say that the hidden agenda is to get rid of all the "Underachieving" students and ship them to North Stanly and keep all the "Overachievers" at Albemarle....but hey, this looks a little 1950'ish to me. I grew up in East Albemarle, but I went to North Albemarle...that didn't make any sense sending us all the way across town to go to school in Mill Hill when East Albemarle was not even a mile from the neighborhood. I could have walked to East Albemarle as many kids in the neighborhood could have; saving the county many dollars and cents.

The people in this county want to go back 60 years and that's just as simple as I can put it. The transportation plan is bogus and BS. Every high school in the county is barely getting by according to the grades released. It seems to me that everyone is the county has a " Below Average" brain to think with (No offense).

But something needs to change that's for sure. Parents need to get involved. The people in the community aren't the same when I was growing up. I can remember a bus coming around picking us up and taking us to HBCU's here in North Carolina for camp. We took trips to Morrow Mnt as well as other places to occupy our time so we would stay out of trouble and if we didn't have a ride to "Church" a bus always came around to get us. Those days are long gone, because we don't have those types of leaders anymore....hell look that those clowns running for pres.

All in all, I wish the best for Albemarle, and I truly believe they will not shut it down for some magnet, but if they shut the doors on Albemarle, it's our own fault and nobody else's.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
I think it was the consultants they hired last year to do the feasibility study on transportation and redistricting.... or so I heard. If you hear rumbles...the jungle is full of wild animals coming to devour you. If you hear banjo music, run....

I know for sure that some schools will be shut down, as they need to be. No reason to have so many schools in the county anyway. To expensive to keep them all up. But I'm still not buying that Albemarle should be shut down and turned into a magnet.

Think about it, Albemarle High has the best facility in the county. I wont say that the hidden agenda is to get rid of all the "Underachieving" students and ship them to North Stanly and keep all the "Overachievers" at Albemarle....but hey, this looks a little 1950'ish to me. I grew up in East Albemarle, but I went to North Albemarle...that didn't make any sense sending us all the way across town to go to school in Mill Hill when East Albemarle was not even a mile from the neighborhood. I could have walked to East Albemarle as many kids in the neighborhood could have; saving the county many dollars and cents.

The people in this county want to go back 60 years and that's just as simple as I can put it. The transportation plan is bogus and BS. Every high school in the county is barely getting by according to the grades released. It seems to me that everyone is the county has a " Below Average" brain to think with (No offense).

But something needs to change that's for sure. Parents need to get involved. The people in the community aren't the same when I was growing up. I can remember a bus coming around picking us up and taking us to HBCU's here in North Carolina for camp. We took trips to Morrow Mnt as well as other places to occupy our time so we would stay out of trouble and if we didn't have a ride to "Church" a bus always came around to get us. Those days are long gone, because we don't have those types of leaders anymore....hell look that those clowns running for pres.

All in all, I wish the best for Albemarle, and I truly believe they will not shut it down for some magnet, but if they shut the doors on Albemarle, it's our own fault and nobody else's.
I went to North Albemarle also Sway.

Reactions: sway1532
North Albemarle "grad" here too. . . . represent

Isn't North Albemarle closed now too? What happened to the building? Still just sitting there empty?

It's still there. I heard that's where the "Alternative" kids go....whatever that means. lol.

Probably close these schools then reopen as charters

State must approve charters. Doubtful you would get more than one elementary in the county as a charter. Too many charters have had issues the past few years so they are tightening up on them to some degree.

More Lies from the Board!!!!

Just seen on Facebook where North Stanly is over crowded! It's so crowded that they make the students eat outside! If you go to Stanly County One Man's Junk, you will see the post! They made them eat outside today in the rain!!! are you kidding me! And they want to shut down Albemarle????!

How do you think it's going to be when they send those kids up that way??? @Sleehrat84 can you please shed some light on this??? I'm curious.

For years we had only 100 charters. Now the state is opening 20 to 25 per year. It is the opposite of tightening up. It's the wild wild west of education nowadays.

I really don't know which is stronger...the will of the BOE or the will of the local communities. I really can't gauge which group will win out.

Several weeks ago in the Stanly News and Press there was an article from the Board of Education with their proposed bus schedule and a budget if they closed certain schools. Also they wanted to approve around 3 million dollars each for North and West Stanly for possible additions or they might have called them improvements but if I am not mistaken that is what the money would be used for.If they close one or more high schools they have to put the students somewhere. North and West already have mobile classrooms on their campus now.

Several weeks ago in the Stanly News and Press there was an article from the Board of Education with their proposed bus schedule and a budget if they closed certain schools. Also they wanted to approve around 3 million dollars each for North and West Stanly for possible additions or they might have called them improvements but if I am not mistaken that is what the money would be used for.If they close one or more high schools they have to put the students somewhere. North and West already have mobile classrooms on their campus now.

That was a $20 million budget and an estimated $14.5 million went to either West or North and did include in that amount a total of $7.2 million ($3.6 million per school estimated) which was for adding a wing to each school. The remaining $5.5 million was split between SS schools and Albemarle Schools. (Note: to build a new school you are looking around $19-$20 million per school)

Additionally there was a no closure study completed for transportation but no cost or savings was published with simply redistricting.

For years we had only 100 charters. Now the state is opening 20 to 25 per year. It is the opposite of tightening up. It's the wild wild west of education nowadays.

They did away with the 100 cap but the last two years have seen several charters fail for different reasons. "Tighten up" means the financials and the people in charge will be vetted much more in-depth than in the past.

We may agree to disagree on that one too. I'll believe it is tightened up when I see it. The General Assembly wants businesses to run schools, part of the "free market can do better" philosophy. And, as you just stated, they have run into numerous issues with a number of charters, but I don't see it slowing down. They will say those mismanaged charter schools are anomalies and the cost of doing business. Anyways Btango, you are as knowledgeable as anyone on here on a lot of different subjects, do you honestly see them closing Albemarle and South Stanly or doing some type of merger? You may have already answered that somewhere here in these 842 pages of comments...lol

If there were no emotional feelings involved I think either AHS or SSHS would definitely get closed for next school year. 411 and 460 students at two schools with bordering lines and less than 12 miles apart. In the opposite direction North is five miles door to door with 623 students. AHS has the better and larger structural facility but geographically it is easier to send students out in three directions to the remaining schools than disperse the students from the extreme southern and eastern ends of the county.

If they had the money to build one new state of the art high school and close those three it would deflect some of the issues especially where one community is going to feel shunned.

That was a $20 million budget and an estimated $14.5 million went to either West or North and did include in that amount a total of $7.2 million ($3.6 million per school estimated) which was for adding a wing to each school. The remaining $5.5 million was split between SS schools and Albemarle Schools. (Note: to build a new school you are looking around $19-$20 million per school)

Additionally there was a no closure study completed for transportation but no cost or savings was published with simply redistricting.

I had heard that They where talking about one High School in the County. That is probably besides the Charter School. I just hear talk but I would take Your word Btango because I know that You have better solid information

I had heard that They where talking about one High School in the County. That is probably besides the Charter School. I just hear talk but I would take Your word Btango because I know that You have better solid information

I have not heard one school only two being the least amount. I am not sold on the magnet school at AHS with two or three other high schools. Two would make sense numbers wise a potential third one if the western area sees the growth that is eventually expected. It is a tough one. I do not want any of the schools to close but I am not sure the county can sustain what they have.

More Lies from the Board!!!!

Just seen on Facebook where North Stanly is over crowded! It's so crowded that they make the students eat outside! If you go to Stanly County One Man's Junk, you will see the post! They made them eat outside today in the rain!!! are you kidding me! And they want to shut down Albemarle????!

How do you think it's going to be when they send those kids up that way??? @Sleehrat84 can you please shed some light on this??? I'm curious.

Wow if it's on One Man's Junk, it's got to be true!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT