ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News....Padgett to retire

joeboo

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2001
Southwest Onslow football coach Phil Padgett to retire at end of season. www.jdnews.com

Chris Miller
Jacksonville Daily News

This post was edited on 11/22 12:03 AM by joeboo

Chris Miller

Didn't know if he wanted us to say anything before the news paper report came out, but he told us and team after the game tonight. Will retire Jan. 1st!!!! Great win tonight, very sad news after......Still cant believe what I heard, like the old saying goes.....nothing last forever.

yeah thats why we waited to post anything until after he spoke to his team.

Big news. I know you guys will miss his leadership. Twenty seven years as the coach is a long time and some sleepless nights. The man deserves some relaxation.

After reading the article,I can feel where he is coming from...it is a shame that coaches have to deal with the politics and some parents can be hard to handle...I saw a coach come over to the bleachers last night and have to jump on a fan for shouting comments(mainly cussing) at the players and coaches...there is no respect for coaches now...he is one of the last great coaches with a long tenure at a school that he considers his home...I wish him all the best in his future endeavors...

MSC117, people had a lot to say about Coach Helm's at Hickory. You are right about being abused in public. Helm's only crime is that he is going to discipline his personal kids (family) and that he would take only so much crap from people. He was normal with a set of you know what. Every man has his breaking point. Everyone who has ever coached at Hickory had two choices: lay down and take it and survive, or stand up to the bullies and be forced into situations. Hickory is the land of the haves, and the halve nots, and they have no use for each other. The tension and pressure is difficult.

Padgett has seen both sides of the old society and the new society. One with parents, one without parents. Teaching and coaching are great careers but the new age comes with a serious dysfunctional group in mainstream public schools.

Originally posted by SHS LION:
Why announce now?What not wait until season is over?
My same thoughts SHS Lion....That could be a distraction for the players. I hope not and feel Padgett will keep the kids focused. I would love to see an eastern final with SWO/ Clinton...

I don't know if this is a distraction or motivation. Maybe SWOs kids might feel compelled to send Padgett off in grand style. Padgett's last season and the seniors last season. What more fire do you need?

Announced because his position for teaching was going public/applications... over the holidays and he wanted to tell the kids and fans
rumors were starting...

I said it earlier in the year about letting him coach his way(playing 2 QB's)and just enjoy it while it last!

I dont think he will be done for long...timing just seems odd and the fact he was guranteed to hit 300 wins next season...i think he will take a year off and come right back lol....how many times has Bob Lewis retired since 1997 lol

Wonder what SWO's plan is as far as getting a new coach will yall stay in house or look for a big hire???....like i said i dont see Phil staying out for long one year maybe....are yall going to keep his sit warm cause im almost positive a legend like that does not stay out for long

SWO returns a pretty solid team. They graduate a lot, but also keep some good ones. Whoever gets the job will be very lucky.

whether Padgette stays retired or not remains to be seen. but i said last season that we would all see just how few high quality coaches there are out there when Padgett retires because he would be so hard to replace. sameoldthing seemed to think it would be easier than some people might think because swo has such good support surrounding the program. now we will see who the true fans are from those that have been riding the bandwagon. .

Jimmy Teague of Reidsville "retired" after 2008 state title but he came back in fall 2012...I look for Padgett to do the same whether at SWO or somewhere else...He's too good a coach not to, and after a couple of years he'll probably be itching to get back in it....Best of luck to him no matter what.....He's one of the good guys...........

96 panther lol dude u gotta be kidding me rite ?????? First off southwest isn't in duplin county or edgecombe county lol or any rural area that makes life a question for good coaches .... Jacksonville has plenty to . offer an Wilmington hooks rite into now ..making a big name quick to entertain living around the beach ... let's not for what southwest was before Padgett got there or did u forget lmao started off with 1980 12 -1 one play from a state title .... 1981 9-2 ... 1984 9-2 ... 1985 8-5 ... 1986 8 -4 ... 1987 10-3 ... NOW REMER WE HAD 5 DAM COACHES ARE FIRST 10 YRS LOL .. HOW CRAZY IS THAT .. BUT STILL WINNING LOL ... add all this is up with the fact we go back down to 1a in the cpc where we win every game by 40 don't get tested till the 2ndor 3rd of pplayoffs .... expect swo to contuie to average 12 - 15 wins a year the next 5 yrs ......

lol. 96panther to understand the SWO job comes with 8-10 wins a year. When we go back to 1a in couple seasons the new coach will likely alter our scheduele. We can't continue to play Northside they prolly will be 3aa, Jacksonville high will prolly be 3aa, Swansboro 3aa, Richlands 3aa.

Now for 5 conference games we will be play Jones Sr and Lejuene.

Many coaches would love to be assure of 8-10 wins a year, and have a real shot at an eastern finals

Well...........

..................so goes pony football......

Its been a great run guys........

It wouldn't completely surprise me if Philly P came back to high school coaching at his alma mater Jacksonville High while at the same time moving up in classification.

will never drop as low as SC. has
This post was edited on 11/26 3:56 PM by 2for3

Not that many highly regarded coaches leave bigger programs to coach at 1A schools. The coaches that have coached small 2A and 1A stay for long periods of time. Coaching at a 1A and little 2A school brings on challenges unlike large schools. It is a must that small schools athletes play multiple sports for the school to be successful. Take ten athletes off a football team that only want to play basketball, baseball, or wrestle and it could doom the program.

4A schools having 2500 students have the luxury of having 60-75 kids on each squad. If kids concentrate on one sport it as little adverse effect.

i know swo fans everywhere are hoping and praying big phil doesnt stay away for long!

Don't want Phil to leave, but honestly if enough of the core staff return and this new speedy Stallions we have seen the past 2 years continue. I could see some real positives with a new coach, maybe we can be even more effective in our spread offense with another coach. Our defense and the motivation and dedication to weight room is a direct reflection of Phil Padgett, that I am unsure you can replace. A lot of times southwest is beating teams just from being in better shape, Phil preached that and unsure if you can replace the respect Phil has when he tells a kid to do this this and that during offseason.

Overall SWO brings back some really good players next year and the new coach will be very lucky to have some of these guys back.

Originally posted by rambbq:
Jimmy Teague of Reidsville "retired" after 2008 state title but he came back in fall 2012...I look for Padgett to do the same whether at SWO or somewhere else...He's too good a coach not to, and after a couple of years he'll probably be itching to get back in it....Best of luck to him no matter what.....He's one of the good guys...........
Heck! I said the same thing about Lenon Fisher ,former Coach of the E. Bladen Eagles, I thought he would come back, but he stuck to his guns about retirement.

well Clinton put a hurting on SWO last night and Padgett is retiring. its down hill from here for SWO. now theyre going to get a dose of what some of these other schools have gone through over thr years.

Originally posted by 96panther:
well Clinton put a hurting on SWO last night and Padgett is retiring. its down hill from here for SWO. now theyre going to get a dose of what some of these other schools have gone through over thr years.
I wouldn't bet that Duplin County farm on it, there 96pamper.

I wish Coach Padgett all the luck in his retirement. He has had a great run at SWO and had a great career. But, he is choosing to retire and it's time for a change at SWO. The Stallions have always had great athletes and I think, with the right coach, there is potential for even greater things at Southwest. We went to the spread last year, but, for the spread to be truly effective, there has to be more of a threat to throw. A run spread will eventually be stopped by a good, speedy defense(See Northside and Clinton). If the right coach gets hold of this athlete factory, the sky is the limit. Look at Havelock. Coach Wilbur Sasser had some great teams there, but he was old school and may have not made the best use of his athletes. When Coach Bryant got there and opened things up with a diverse playbook, well, you know what they've done.

I hope Coach Padgett reconsiders or returns to coaching after a well earned vacation. He adds so much to the game still! I imagine it will remain in his blood and he will return some where in due time, or at least I hope so.

I'm not surprised he is leaving,look at kids this day and time,not to mention their parents. No discipline at home,staying in trouble. Coaches work even harder now. These younger coaches will have a hard time adapting to some of the things kids go through nowadays. It does effect actions in class and on the field. I wish coach
Paghett the best,he is one of the winning eat coaches in NC. SWO will miss him.

Panther ..disagree .. what is coming back and it seems (great possibility) we are redistricting(SWO has empty classes and the neighboring schools are overloaded..was put off 2 years ago and now it is a mess..)...do not get your hopes up....Phil loves the program and is leaving at a time where it will be easier for the next in line to succeed(type of guy he is..leaving a loaded squad)...loaded team and gaining some good #'s of athletes(possibly gaining 120-130 new boys to choose from at a already good football school)...No doubt we will never have another Phil Padgett/who will...but the days of good football will be around a long time...SWO 13-2 ...great season
This post was edited on 12/6 1:25 PM by 2for3

he might as well come to tabor city and just keep coaching the stallions in black!

Just wanted to say congratulations to Coach Padgett, and best of luck in his retirement.... Man the state lost two greats to retirement with Padgett and LIncolntons Coach Cloninger retiring... Both will be missed....both great Coaches....

Shelby lion and others thanks for the kind words...he is a excellent coach..but a better person

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT