ADVERTISEMENT

Boys games; charter schools

By my count, there are 21 "traditional" schools, 9 charters, 1 magnet, and 1 early college left in the 1A bracket.

Was looking at Lincoln Charter's website (in case we have to play them). They only accept students from Lincoln Co., Catawba Co., Gaston Co., Mecklenburg Co., Iredell Co. and other surrounding counties.

Man, Tough Life!! Don't see how they can find 5 players that can play basketball from only a couple hundred thousand students! Starting to feel sorry for them now!!

We're sitting pretty here in Cherokee. We just comb through all 300 students and have come up with two pretty decent teams!

Whose parents work and live in cherokee. Get over it. Every team has kids move in from out of town. As long as they moved and live in Cherokee I don't see a problem. We don't just take half a football team from one school and then win state with them.

Was looking at Lincoln Charter's website (in case we have to play them). They only accept students from Lincoln Co., Catawba Co., Gaston Co., Mecklenburg Co., Iredell Co. and other surrounding counties.

Man, Tough Life!! Don't see how they can find 5 players that can play basketball from only a couple hundred thousand students! Starting to feel sorry for them now!!

We're sitting pretty here in Cherokee. We just comb through all 300 students and have come up with two pretty decent teams!
When our Lady Wildcats defeated Lincoln Charters Ladies Tuesday night I asked a fan from there how many students they had in high school. He told me 600 students. More than double what Andrews has. I did watch their boys warm up and the start of Llincoln Charters game. Very athletic but I felt Cherokee and Hayesville boys could compete with them

Funny how people talk about charter schools and really don't know nothing about them. Lincoln Charter only has 430 students in high school. Most of the students are from Lincoln County area. And ALL of the boys basketball team are from Lincoln County or Catawba County which is only about 7 miles from the school. And ALL players have been at Lincoln Charter since 6th/7th grade. Plus, to play any sport at Lincoln Charter School, which is a college preparatory school, an athlete must maintain a 3.0 GPA. How many schools or school systems can say that? And they have grade checks throughout the year to make sure ALL kids are eligible. . They have a great middle school program, who has won the last 4 conference championships, and a staff that works all year long to make these kids compete.

Reactions: MDS80
Funny how people talk about charter schools and really don't know nothing about them. Lincoln Charter only has 430 students in high school. Most of the students are from Lincoln County area. And ALL of the boys basketball team are from Lincoln County or Catawba County which is only about 7 miles from the school. And ALL players have been at Lincoln Charter since 6th/7th grade. Plus, to play any sport at Lincoln Charter School, which is a college preparatory school, an athlete must maintain a 3.0 GPA. How many schools or school systems can say that? And they have grade checks throughout the year to make sure ALL kids are eligible. . They have a great middle school program, who has won the last 4 conference championships, and a staff that works all year long to make these kids compete.
Please read my post again. I said I asked a fan of Lincoln Charter how many kids were in your High School. That's all I can go by. I'm sure it was a educated guess. I wasn't disrespecting your school.

Please read my post again. I said I asked a fan of Lincoln Charter how many kids were in your High School. That's all I can go by. I'm sure it was a educated guess. I wasn't disrespecting your school.

I wasn't really speaking to you Wildcat. Some of the previous comments were directed at charter schools and at Lincoln Charter directly.

Looking at the realignment adm's from nchsaa it's showing Lincoln Charter with 593 students. I can see why someone would throw out the 600 students when asked.

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/17-21RealignmentClassifications_11-13-15.pdf

Reactions: BK13T-$
Number of students has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is all about how many kids they have the chance to pick from is where the inequity comes from. There are schools larger than 593 that are still legitimate 1a schools. Making statements like "all our kids come from Lincoln County and Catawba County" only makes the argument worse. How many high school students are there in Lincoln and Catawba county? How many high school students are there in Avery and Alleghany counties. As the number of kids to choose from go up, the likelihood of finding a better player goes up. It is real simple, dont try to overthink it. Accept your advantage and move on. But trying to justify it "Come on man".

Reactions: mbdfan
Charter schools play where they're placed by nchsaa just like all other schools. All based on enrollment #'s. Used to allow schools to play up. I know Maiden for years was 1A size but played 2A class. Also charter schools don't just take any kid, they have to go through lottery system. I personally know of kids who didn't get in because of where they were in lottery. Only so many seats available & when they're full they're finished. Can reapply next year if there are any seats that come open but that's rare in high schools. Once again it's a college prep school.

If our boys happen to get to tues and Lincoln charter does too .. you better bring in extra seats cause we will bring everyone from cherokee lol

no charters turn kids down....every kid is worth a check which helps run the school.....if LC already has close to 600, then after the 2017-21 realignment, they'll be 2A

I wasn't really speaking to you Wildcat. Some of the previous comments were directed at charter schools and at Lincoln Charter directly.

And I didn't make up my info. either. I got it DIRECTLY from Lincoln Charter's website. They listed about 6-7 counties that they draw from (including Mecklenburg)!

Admissions
  • North Carolina charter schools are like traditional public schools in that they do not deny admission based on religion, gender, disability, race or nationality. However, openings may or may not be available because these schools generally aren’t as large as traditional public schools. If the school has more applicants than available slots, they use a lottery system to determine admission.
    http://ncpubliccharters.org/

but you never see charters turn away kids...$$$ is involved...very, very rare

B
Admissions
  • North Carolina charter schools are like traditional public schools in that they do not deny admission based on religion, gender, disability, race or nationality. However, openings may or may not be available because these schools generally aren’t as large as traditional public schools. If the school has more applicants than available slots, they use a lottery system to determine admission.
    http://ncpubliccharters.org/
Bareman - you are wrong; kids that apply to Charters do get turned down. Greystone has a lottery that determines who gets in. Siblings get priority. Also you weren't complaining when Mt Airy won those state football championships with multiple transfers. What's the difference?

Reactions: MDS80
not sure what you're talking about...but charters don't turn kids away.. the only, and I mean only reason would be for some educational situation that the school doesn't provide (EC)

This whole argument is just another reason prep/charter schools need to be ousted from traditional play-offs. It's a joke and the NCHSAA should be ashamed. I mean it's comical to think that those kids at prep are there for academic reasons!

not sure what you're talking about...but charters don't turn kids away.. the only, and I mean only reason would be for some educational situation that the school doesn't provide (EC)
Not sure where you're getting you're info on charter schools, but you're misinformed.Most charter schools don't have room for everyone who applies so they have a lottery. They don't receive funding like traditional schools for construction so they cannot accept everyone. Click on the link above & read.

This whole argument is just another reason prep/charter schools need to be ousted from traditional play-offs. It's a joke and the NCHSAA should be ashamed. I mean it's comical to think that those kids at prep are there for academic reasons!
I'm not arguing with you but part of their argument is what is the difference between Charters (etc.) and schools that allow transfers. Neither have boundaries.

Not sure where you're getting you're info on charter schools, but you're misinformed.Most charter schools don't have room for everyone who applies so they have a lottery. They don't receive funding like traditional schools for construction so they cannot accept everyone. Click on the link above & read.

I know for a fact that charter schools do have lotteries for entry at beginning of 1st semesters. I also have seen instances where students began attending charter schools at beginning of 2nd semesters with no mention of said lotteries. Now the ones that I personally know that began 2nd semesters at charter schools just happen to be good baseball players? Also there is an appeal process where a student can claim there was a lack of educational opportunities at their previous HS and the 365 day participation wait is waved. Somehow that does not seem right to me. Not to punish the athlete but to deter the recruiting process which we know does not exist.(Wink,Wink). Thought that when charters were allowed into NCHSAA there would be more controls

. What I have heard parents say is basically if "Billy" doesn't like coach or is not happy with playing time then we are taking "Billy" to the charter school. I have yet to hear a parent say to me personally that they were taking their child to a charter school for a better education. Now I am sure that some people do choose a charter for education however my experiences have been on the athletic side of HS.

Reactions: gurnade
Everyone knows the kids are being recruited which is a major violation from what I hear. Our waitor after the game attended Carver HS in Winston Salem and asked who we played and when we told him WSP he just laughed and asked how bad they beat us. He said its Not gonna be long before Forsyth Co. Makes a change and puts boundaries in place.

Everyone knows the kids are being recruited which is a major violation from what I hear. Our waitor after the game attended Carver HS in Winston Salem and asked who we played and when we told him WSP he just laughed and asked how bad they beat us. He said its Not gonna be long before Forsyth Co. Makes a change and puts boundaries in place.
WSP is not a Charter school.

Same difference to me when you can pick from kids from all surrounding counties. Bringing in a couple kids is not the same as picking out of say all of Forsyth Co or Lincoln,Catawba, Mecklenburg, etc....You can spin it anyway you want but you need to be on your own class!

Reactions: Heels10 and BK13T-$
the day boundaries are applied in WSFCS then the doors at WSPA will shut....but that will not happen during our life time....that school has less than 300 students and got a "D" on the last state report card....nothing educational there

Reactions: mbdfan and Heels10
Most of the students at Lincoln Charter leave high school and enter college with 12-15 hours worth of college credits. So, they start college as a 2nd semester freshman or even as a sophomore. So, don't say that students, including athletes, aren't here for the academics. I can't speak for other charters, but I know Lincoln Charter does things the right way. I know many students at the school this year, including cheerleaders/track/golf/soccer/basketball, that are not playing any sport because of the 365 rule. They do not and will not break any of the rules for athletics. And to get into ANY charter school a student must be put on a lottery and hope their # is called and they have room for them. If not, including athletes, they don't come to the school and can get on the list for next year.

Same difference to me when you can pick from kids from all surrounding counties. Bringing in a couple kids is not the same as picking out of say all of Forsyth Co or Lincoln,Catawba, Mecklenburg, etc....You can spin it anyway you want but you need to be on your own class!

No one is "picking" Students/Parents are Choosing....

the day boundaries are applied in WSFCS then the doors at WSPA will shut....but that will not happen during our life time....that school has less than 300 students and got a "D" on the last state report card....nothing educational there
They get a D on facilities as well!

These charter schools running the "fair and balanced" lotteries are having extremely good luck in getting good athletes. These guys should be playing the Powerball with that kind of luck!!!! RITFLMBO

This is also why WSP will not shut down.

WSPA is endowed with a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as well as the Thurgood Marshall College Fund.

I am not defending their test scores but, "nothing educational there" is a little harsh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT