ADVERTISEMENT

Boys brackets posted

Cherokee is ranked 4th in maxpreps last night after winning smc championship. Ahead of avery north stanly and starmount all who lost in their conference tournaments. How did we drop to 7th? I guess those 2 forfeits really screwed us. Rediculous. Now we get to play the all stars in round 3...great.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Cherokee is ranked 4th in maxpreps last night after winning smc championship. Ahead of avery north stanly and starmount all who lost in their conference tournaments. How did we drop to 7th? I guess those 2 forfeits really screwed us. Rediculous. Now we get to play the all stars in round 3...great.
I was thinking the foreits would hurt your max preps ranking. Man that's stinks.

I was thinking the foreits would hurt your max preps ranking. Man that's stinks.

They say no good deed goes unpunished. Supposably the ineligible player moved back to take care of his aunt. Gets in 2 blowout games in garbage time and we have to forfeit. Oh well. In order to be the best you got to beat the best. Just wish we had to beat the best later than sooner lol. Go Braves! I really like the girls chances in their bracket. I see a Murphy Cherokee rematch in 4th round in Murphys hot a** gym lol.

Reactions: TigerDen1
Something jammed up in MaxPreps computer and it had a malfunction !
Again, not Maxpreps fault...completely NCHSAA. They buckled after the fall season when 8-3 Trask didn’t get in (mainly b/c they had a low Maxpreps rankings due to playing a very weak schedule). State changes playoff format in the middle of basketball season during the winter meetings, saying “conference finish” is more important than “Maxpreps ranking.” Thus, after all automatic qualifiers were seeded, the wildcards were determined by all “3rd place” finishers, then 4th place. So a Mitchell, Highlands, Nantahala get in with losing records due to their conference finish (despite playing much weaker schedules and having significantly worse records). This also impacted the way teams were seeded, which caused MA and Bishop to be pitted against each other in the 1st Round (despite being ranked 5th and 6th in the state respectively). No way the NCHSAA can legitimately say this is a fair, equitable playoff system after this crappy bracket! Hopefully change will happen soon.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the love everyone.
Look we heard the rumors and saw that they had us playing South Stokes but we thought there was no way that was gonna stick in the final bracket. As we know there are teams with better records than ours in the area. But they put our Hawks in and we are as shocked as everyone else. So our boys are gonna travel the 4 hours to the middle of the state and do their best. And yeah we agree the bracket is pretty messed up, but how about a little support for the smallest high school in the state. How about maybe not trashing the kids that are just trying to do their best just like all of your kids. Its not our fault we got put in, so bash the system all you want but leave our team out of it. No its not fair but we will do our best to represent WNC and show that us mountain boys can play ball.

I won't root against y'all. I still remember watching Nantahala take on Hendo at Fleming Gym. They had a good player by the name of Josh Griffith. Also brought one of the best crowds I've ever seen.

Wow thanks for the love everyone.
Look we heard the rumors and saw that they had us playing South Stokes but we thought there was no way that was gonna stick in the final bracket. As we know there are teams with better records than ours in the area. But they put our Hawks in and we are as shocked as everyone else. So our boys are gonna travel the 4 hours to the middle of the state and do their best. And yeah we agree the bracket is pretty messed up, but how about a little support for the smallest high school in the state. How about maybe not trashing the kids that are just trying to do their best just like all of your kids. Its not our fault we got put in, so bash the system all you want but leave our team out of it. No its not fair but we will do our best to represent WNC and show that us mountain boys can play ball.
Not trashing the kids, trashing the NCHSAA for having a system the keeps better teams out in favor of those with considerably worse records. No offense intended towards the kids.

Reactions: littlemash
Nobody is rooting against Nantahala or trashing their kids. I root for them and hope they have a great showing at South Stokes. But I also watched them lose by 35+ to Murphy this year, and you have to admit that a system that gives the Hawks a playoff game over Murphy (and East Surry and Rosman) is flawed.

As i posted in another thread, no disrespect intended towards the players. Those kids practice and play hard also. The system is broken and in dire need of repair.

no one is bashing kids...it’s the system and it’s not a good one....our Association which governs Athletics in NC has let the 1A schools down....the maxpreps experiment is not working and is not going to work yet they’ve put all their marbles on the table and rolled with it...1A schools have to bond together and ask for change..as for Nantahala, good luck to you but you’re going to have a very tough time winning at SST Tues...the league here is just too strong and I have doubts you’ve played anything like it that far West...but good luck again & safe travels

Anyone remember pickup sticks. This bracket is like pickup teams, they dropped the and let them fall where they landed. Some good ones out of the pile and out of the way and some really good one piled together. All top the teams they let MaxPrep rank should have been in different brackets ! ! They put all their marbles on MaxPrep then made them look like idiots ...

Last edited:
Cant believe The 6-18 Nantahala got in and my 5-20 Alleghany Trojans didn't. This is some BS. Lmao! watch out for the alleghany girls though they whipped east wilkes by almost 20 in the conference tournament.

no one is bashing kids...it’s the system and it’s not a good one....our Association which governs Athletics in NC has let the 1A schools down....the maxpreps experiment is not working and is not going to work yet they’ve put all their marbles on the table and rolled with it...1A schools have to bond together and ask for change..as for Nantahala, good luck to you but you’re going to have a very tough time winning at SST Tues...the league here is just too strong and I have doubts you’ve played anything like it that far West...but good luck again & safe travels
I agree with most of what is being said, but disagree that the "Maxpreps" experiment isn't working. It's not Maxpreps that isn't letting East Surry (ranked 21st in MP) or Chatham Charter (ranked 35th in MP) in. The NCHSAA changed their formatting after just 1 fall season and complaining from Football coaches. If they had stuck with the old system, the automatic qualifiers would have gotten in, then the next best teams via Maxpreps rankings. Seedings would have then been done a little differently. I personally believe that you seed all conference champions first, then everyone else should be seeded based on a common factor (whether it's Maxpreps rankings, winning percentage, whatever). That in itself wouldn't be perfect either, but better than the trash system they currently have.

How about East Surry 14-11 and lost to South Stokes by 3 in OT in Feb. and Bishop by 5 the last game of the season. Now that is a crime to let a team with 6 wins 18 loses in in their place. What was the NCHSAA thinking or was they ?

How about East Surry 14-11 and lost to South Stokes by 3 in OT in Feb. and Bishop by 5 the last game of the season. Now that is a crime to let a team with 6 wins 18 loses in in their place. What was the NCHSAA thinking or was they ?
They also beat MA by 15 and lost to MA by only 3. They played several of the top teams in the state very tough. Definitely a playoff worthy team.

Everything could have been solved if they would have allowed the 64 team format....that is what is stupid...not sure why they did that at all. Some really, really good 4A teams, like Laney High, are sitting at home as well. Come on NCHSAA, get it together....SMH

I compare the NCHSAA to our leaders in the Washington,House & Senate, they can't agree on anything or get anything right ! Just clueless .............

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT