ADVERTISEMENT

2A Boys 2A West Playoff Projections

1way2play

Dec 4, 2005
Here is the criteria that the NCHSAA is using for basketball playoffs.
4.1.18 Playoff Berths/Qualification:
(a) Conference automatic qualifiers are determined by the number of teams from a given
classification in each conference as follows:
(1) 1 – 4 teams = 1 automatic qualifier
(2) 5 – 8 teams = 2 automatic qualifiers
(3) 9 or more teams = 3 automatic qualifiers
*(4) any additional at-large spots needed to fill out the bracket will be filled based on overall
conference finish, then “Adjusted” MaxPreps rankings
(b) Conference tournament champions automatically qualify
(1) If the regular season champion also wins the tournament, no additional berth will be awarded.
(2) If a team other than the regular season champion wins the tournament, it will automatically
qualify for the playoffs. The team will be seeded as an at-large berth in the playoffs unless
already automatically qualified based upon their regular season conference finish.
(c) Split conference application
(1) The highest finishing team from a given classification will automatically qualify, regardless of
overall conference finish.
(2) Two teams that finish 1st and 2nd overall in the conference from the same classification will
automatically qualify regardless of rule 4.1.18(a)(1-3).
NOTE: Ties for 1st place in the overall conference or for highest finisher in a classification must
be broken using the established tie-breaking procedure [rule 4.1.13].
*(3) for split conferences: to be seeded as a #1, the top finisher in each half of the split must
finish either 1, 2, or 3 in the overall conference standings, OR have an overall winning percentage
equal to or greater than .500; IF NOT, the team will still qualify automatically, but be seeded with other at-large teams based on “Adjusted MaxPreps Ranking”

4.1.19 Seeding:
(a) Once the qualifying teams in each classification are determined, they will be divided into two
regions of equal size (East and West) based on the longitude of each school.
(b) The teams in each region will be seeded as follows:
(1) Seed all 1st place automatic berths and highest finishing team in each classification of a
split conference by adjusted MaxPreps rankings *(NOTE: for team from split conference to be seeded as a #1, the top finisher in their half of the split must finish either 1, 2, or 3 in the overall conference standings, OR have an overall winning percentage equal to or greater than .500; IF NOT, the team will still qualify automatically, but be seeded with other at-large teams based on “Adjusted MaxPreps Ranking”); then
(2) Seed all 2nd place automatic berths by adjusted MaxPreps rankings; then
(3) Seed all 3rd place automatic berths by adjusted MaxPreps rankings; then
(4) Seed all conference tournament champions and at-large berths by adjusted MaxPreps rankings.
(c) Once seeding is complete:
(1) Existing byes will be awarded to the highest seeds possible.
(2) The higher seed is the home team unless otherwise determined by the NCHSAA.

Let me know what everyone thinks and if you have any different information than I do. Projections were based off of the won-lost records of each conference which are listed below.

Very interesting.....

as crazy as it sounds, the PAC-7 is still wide open. Any of those top five teams could win that thing.

I'm really hoping PG goes West. The East is just brutal.

Slightly OT.......but I bet it's fun being a Mountain Heritage b'ball fan this season. Those teams are rollin. Hope I get to see one of those teams down the road.

Wow, look at East Gaston 5th in their conf, but 31 overall. Kind of sad that they are ranked higher than some #1s, but may not get in because of being in such a tough conference.

Yeah, East Gaston appears to be a pretty decent team. Looks like there's gonna be a dogfight for second place in that conference.

It’s really not fair on the girls side of the CCC. The teams are pretty much penalized for being in a tough conference with ten teams. The top 3 teams are in the top 12 And the 4th in the top 25. Not fair to the 5, 6, 7 teams that can play with the top 2 in the other conferences.

It is a shame! In the CCC 2A, the Top 3 are ranked 8th, 9th and 10th while the 4th place is ranked 22nd according to MaxPreps 2A rankings. The Rocky River 2A has one team with a winning record (West Stanley 2nd place) and the records for the remaining teams Is at best atrocious! A lot can change over the next 2 weeks.

Exactly, the 5, 6, 7 and 8th place team in the CCC girls is ahead of the 1st place team in the Rocky River, according to Maxpreps ratings. You cant penalize the conference because they have more teams. As many people know, the CCC also historically does very well come play off time...Ledford, East Davidson, Salisbury etc...

NCHSAA is such an old-school operating body, and uses awful logic when determining just about everything.

I agree with those sentiments. There could be several teams boys and girls that are in the top 50 Maxpreps ratings that could possibly not make the playoffs because they are in a good conference.

Originally the playoffs were supposed to be only conference champions would be seeded as 1's and everyone else would be thrown into the hat and seeded based on their maxpreps ratings. That seemed like a fair way to do the playoffs.

The NCHSAA Board made changes at the winter meeting because of the problems with football. They also took out the point differential in maxpreps which was only 12 points because some thought that coaches would try to blow out teams to improve their rankings which was not the case.

Reactions: truthofda336
I agree with those sentiments. There could be several teams boys and girls that are in the top 50 Maxpreps ratings that could possibly not make the playoffs because they are in a good conference.

Originally the playoffs were supposed to be only conference champions would be seeded as 1's and everyone else would be thrown into the hat and seeded based on their maxpreps ratings. That seemed like a fair way to do the playoffs.

The NCHSAA Board made changes at the winter meeting because of the problems with football. They also took out the point differential in maxpreps which was only 12 points because some thought that coaches would try to blow out teams to improve their rankings which was not the case.

How can the NCHSAA Board justify changing at winters meetings? Teams already set non-conference schedules based on previous settings. That is unreal. More athletic aware people need to be on these boards and organizations.

No disrespect meant, but prime example: TW Andrews is in a weak conference, and is not that good. But they are projected to make the playoffs over teams like North and Central Davidson that are in the middle of the pack in Central Carolina and would win by a lot over Andrews. In fact, North I think already did beat them easily in a Christmas tournament...

I can't agree on the boys side. Sorry.

I think if you were to put Salisbury in any other conference in the area, they'd have a very good chance of winning it. However, I can't say the same for Lexington or North. Those teams could possibly win those conferences.....but they wouldn't dominate everyone.

I do agree on Andrews. I don't see their run lasting too much longer. If they get in over North, yes it's probably a travesty. Central though? Nah. I watched them get absolutely blasted and taken to school by Wheatmore a few weeks back. Can't be looking like that against a weak PAC-7 school.................

I can't agree on the boys side. Sorry.

I think if you were to put Salisbury in any other conference in the area, they'd have a very good chance of winning it. However, I can't say the same for Lexington or North. Those teams could possibly win those conferences.....but they wouldn't dominate everyone.

I do agree on Andrews. I don't see their run lasting too much longer. If they get in over North, yes it's probably a travesty. Central though? Nah. I watched them get absolutely blasted and taken to school by Wheatmore a few weeks back. Can't be looking like that against a weak PAC-7 school.................
Regardless, Salisbury, Thomasville, Lexington, Ledford, and North deserve to all be in and all could definitely win several games if not more.

Who knows about domination, but Lexington and North both lit up Andrews, and even called the "dogs" off....so with that being said the playoff system is significantly flawed. Maybe one day the NCHSAA will come out of the prehistoric cave they live in, but until they do, it is what it is.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Slightly OT.......but I bet it's fun being a Mountain Heritage b'ball fan this season. Those teams are rollin. Hope I get to see one of those teams down the road.

Heritage boys team is really good this year. Good size too. The crazy thing is they start three sophomores and a junior. Callin Randolph a sophomore had 37 points last night and 11 three pointers. Broke the school record. Brandon Aumiller a junior poured in 24 of his own. The other two softmores are Lucas Jenkins and Justice Shelton, who is 6’9 and growing.

Scenario 1 If Pac-7 all come to the west side and East Montgomery from the Rocky River.

Scenario 2 - If the following teams from Pac-7 (Providence Grove/Randleman) and East Montgomery go East.
Here are Longitudes which will determine which way along with how many teams from the East Qualify.
Providence Grove - 79.714
East Montgomery - 79.778
Randleman - 79.829

Regardless, Salisbury, Thomasville, Lexington, Ledford, and North deserve to all be in and all could definitely win several games if not more.

Who knows about domination, but Lexington and North both lit up Andrews, and even called the "dogs" off....so with that being said the playoff system is significantly flawed. Maybe one day the NCHSAA will come out of the prehistoric cave they live in, but until they do, it is what it is.

PG called the dogs off against Andrews as well. They were up by 30 late in the third quarter. Put some second/third stringers in at the start of the fourth. Within six minutes, the lead got cut in half. There's still an outside shot that Andrews doesn't finish in the top three. It's slim though.

I'm not crazy about the NCHSAA's mid-season knee-jerk reaction either. All they need to do is just apply a little common sense. But you know how that goes.......

Reactions: truthofda336
The PAC-7's going to be really fun this week.

As of right now, there's a three-way tie for first between PG, Wheatmore, and Andrews. Possibly the biggest game of the week occurs in just a couple of hours. Wheatmore travels to PG. Game time...7:30. Winner of this game is definitely in the driver's seat.

PG conceivably has the most favorable road......Wheatmore tonight, TWA Wednesday, and J-M on Friday. All three of those games are at PG.

In contrast, Wheatmore (after tonight) has to turn around and play at J-M tomorrow, then head to High Point on Friday night.

TWA has the toughest hike. They start off with Trinity on Tuesday before dealing with PG and Wheatmore. TWA has both Trinity and Wheatmore at their place. However, after seeing how lifeless their home side was last Friday, that probably won't be an advantage.

Well.....Wheatmore took it tonight. 71-67 in a good, hard-fought game. PG trailed for most of the game by around 4-6. They kept chipping away and finally got over the hump and took the lead 65-63 late in the fourth. PG just couldn't seal the deal though.

Gotta give credit to the Warriors. For most of the night, they were magnificent on the offensive end. They handled PG's press very well. They were also able to get to the line quite a bit and hit a few free throws.

IMO, Corey Hudgins was the MVP of this one. He had a great second half. That kid really works his tail off.

Keep your heads up, PG. Go take care of business Wednesday and Friday. Who knows what might happen.....

Well, Andrews just beat PG 71-60. Congrats to the Red Raiders. They made some big shots and got some big rebounds/steals when they had to.

PG went up 9-0 to start the game and then completely crapped the bed. Absolutely sickening performance tonight. They'll have nightmares about this one.

Well, Andrews just beat PG 71-60. Congrats to the Red Raiders. They made some big shots and got some big rebounds/steals when they had to.

PG went up 9-0 to start the game and then completely crapped the bed. Absolutely sickening performance tonight. They'll have nightmares about this one.
Chute, In my opinion Wheatmore has the most upside of any boys team in the PAC7. Andrews you never know what you going to get.
Got a question for you. The "local" paper headline said HPA nipped WHS for share of conference. If they have same record and Andrews swept them, how is that a "share"?
I know I am old but doesn't make sense to me.

Chute, In my opinion Wheatmore has the most upside of any boys team in the PAC7. Andrews you never know what you going to get.
Got a question for you. The "local" paper headline said HPA nipped WHS for share of conference. If they have same record and Andrews swept them, how is that a "share"?
I know I am old but doesn't make sense to me.
If they have the same record, they would be co-champions, regardless of the head to head matchups. I assume, however, that Andrews would get the number one seed for the conference tournament.

Reactions: thekidd12
If they have the same record, they would be co-champions, regardless of the head to head matchups. I assume, however, that Andrews would get the number one seed for the conference tournament.
Yeah they did. I am just old, like I said. Tie breaker for seeding is head to head. If there was not a tournament looks like same tie breaker would crown champion? Now if they had split their contests then co-champions is logical.
Sorry been bored through basketball season. Waiting for baseball to get cranking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT