ADVERTISEMENT

Boys 1A playoffs

13bc9fc

Nov 26, 2016
Some great first round matchups, random draw definitely made things interesting. As a Hayesville fan/smc fan does anyone know much about WS Prep?

Some great first round matchups, random draw definitely made things interesting. As a Hayesville fan/smc fan does anyone know much about WS Prep?

I'm not sure they will lose, but Hayesville will meet a team that they haven't met this year. It will be in the form of athletes everywhere. Tough draw, and a stupid draw from the state may I add, but that is why you play the game. WSP is down from years past because all the guys went with Goule to his place, but they are still tough and finished 2nd in one of the best 1A conferences. Hayesvill will have their hands full.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
WS Prep is not as big or talented as teams they have had in the past. They are quick and athletic, but undisciplined. They have gotten better as the season went along though.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Did they use travel for the seeding process? They didn't use max prep for seeding. In 2-A they have Farmville a 9 seed. There aren't 8 better teams than Farmville in the state 2-A much less in the east. It looks like we may get a regional final in the 2nd round South Granville and Farmville.
Crazy!
See that it was a random draw. Max Prep had class rankings ,why not seed to ranking. Hayesville #1 in the west and Princeton #1 in the east?

Last edited:
Murphy boys facing a total beatdown, literally the worst possible draw they could have gotten.

Hayesville draw could've been worse, its not great but could've been worse. The reality is I dont think they were going to go very far no matter the draw. Hayesville is obviously very well coached and a good defensive unit (though seeing them down 16 late to Swain was a red flag, off game or not) but they have no size at all. Ashe is good enough to carry them against SMC level opposition but he needs help to match up with the elites of the division that Hayesville simply doesn't possess without McTaggart.

Last edited:
WS Prep is not as big or talented as teams they have had in the past. They are quick and athletic, but undisciplined. They have gotten better as the season went along though.
Mount Airy Boys won the NWC & WSPrep came in 2nd I think. Bears beat WSPrep in both games. Game #1 52-46 & game #2 67-47
1Mount Airy9-10.90011-30.786
2Winston-Salem Preparatory Academy7-30.7008-60.571
3Bishop McGuinness6-40.6008-50.615

Murphy boys facing a total beatdown, literally the worst possible draw they could have gotten.

Hayesville draw could've been worse, its not great but could've been worse. The reality is I dont think they were going to go very far no matter the draw. Hayesville is obviously very well coached and a good defensive unit (though seeing them down 16 late to Swain was a red flag, off game or not) but they have no size at all. Ashe is good enough to carry them against SMC level opposition but he needs help to match up with the elites of the division that Hayesville simply doesn't possess without McTaggart.

Easy now. Murphy gave Hayesville a game both times. Not sure LCS thinks that way either but I'm sure they will be ready.
Good Luck to all the teams and safe travels.

Easy now. Murphy gave Hayesville a game both times. Not sure LCS thinks that way either but I'm sure they will be ready.

Hayesville didn’t really blow many people away this year, built more to grind it out. Murphy isn’t bad—Abling especially is an excellent player— but nobody on the 2-line would’ve had much chance to give Lincoln Charter a game. I’m not certain the 1 line has many teams that will keep it interesting either, to be honest.

I did watch the WS Prep/ South Stokes game from last week and think Hayesville has to keep WS Prep off the offensive glass, but if they do that they have a very good shot to advance.

Last edited:

Unfortunately for Murphy they have suffered some late season injuries and it is unknown how that will impact their play.

Our girls deserved the 1 seed, and our boys deserved the 16 haha. Totally screwed up.
Your girls did get a bad draw. I feel the same way for Heritage boys. Our boys and girls seeds are probably exact opposite of what they should be. Our girls should be in the hunt over the next 3 years but missing the summer and non-conference you could see it with trying to mesh the 5 freshmen with the upperclassmen. Good luck to your teams tonight.

Interesting...I’d be willing to bet the SMC was a lot tougher than the WHC in girls basketball this year. Our girls at an 8 is a joke! The NCHSAA dropped the ball big time ...
Other than having to go in the road. The Mitchell girls #6 seed is actually better than some/most of the higher seeds on the other side of the bracket.
Agreed the NCHSAA dropped the ball.

Go Mountaineers

Interesting...I’d be willing to bet the SMC was a lot tougher than the WHC in girls basketball this year. Our girls at an 8 is a joke! The NCHSAA dropped the ball big time ...
top two whc teams are really good and well coached.

Reactions: 97Cougar
I hope we get to find out if Rville can beat Mitchell but Robbinsville would have to travel to Surry Thursday, CSOD Saturday the Mitchell Tuesday. That's a tough road for us but we could do it.

I hope we get to find out if Rville can beat Mitchell but Robbinsville would have to travel to Surry Thursday, CSOD Saturday the Mitchell Tuesday. That's a tough road for us but we could do it.
I would like to see that game. Mitchell is a solid team. I have not got to see Robbinsville play. My daughter played at a camp with their PG back in Oct she is really good player and fun to watch. I think it would be a good game.

Reactions: BK13T-$
I'll be borderline shocked if CSOD beats Murphy. Murphy was up 52-19 at the half against North Rowan and rested starters in 2nd half, the YVC is a weak league but the league CSOD plays in isnt much better. The 1A teams out there just aren't anywhere near the level of SMC girls teams.

It will either be a third meeting in Robbinsville or Murphy making a trip to Pilot Mountain in the 3rd round in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'll be borderline shocked if CSOD beats Murphy. Murphy was up 52-19 at the half against North Rowan and rested starters in 2nd half, the YVC is a weak league but the league CSOD plays in isnt much better. The 1A teams out there just aren't anywhere near the level of SMC girls teams.
I honestly think that there are 4, and maybe 5, teams between the BSMC and LSMC that didn’t make the playoffs who would have had a good chance to still be going if they had.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and mbdfan
Indoor gatherings just increased from 25 to 50 if I read that correctly as of Friday. Possibly some parents will get to go to away games for teams still playing on Saturday.

Last edited:
I honestly think that there are 4, and maybe 5, teams between the BSMC and LSMC that didn’t make the playoffs who would have had a good chance to still be going if they had.
I agree, North Rowan would've finished behind Cherokee, Rosman, Swain and Hayesville in the SMC.

Reactions: Dadof23
I agree, North Rowan would've finished behind Cherokee, Rosman, Swain and Hayesville in the SMC.

Not to mention Highlands and Blue Ridge in Little Smoky. HD-North Stanly girls was worse than the final, and the final was pretty bad.

You watch any of the Murphy boys game?

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan
I caught the 4th quarter, hard to make much of an assessment because game was well in hand at that point.

I watched some of Chatham Central-HD boys, Chatham Central about on par with the 2d-5th clump of SMC teams. HD had the ball with opportunity to hold for last shot to tie but turned it over. Imagine Lincoln Charter rolls again.

As far as the Hayesville game, MICS looks to me to have more the type of athleticism people were worried about with the Prep game. Top 3 scorers all 6-4 with one headed for UNC football. MICS did drop 2 of 3 to Pine Lake, who Hayesville beat 2d round last year and who also lost a star big man to a transfer same as Hayesville. But who knows what that means...

Reactions: mbdfan
Pine lake appears to have a heck of a point guard. I think hayesville will beat mics. Mitchell has interesting match up with plp. Mitchell goes slow. Appears pine lake plays fast.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Wnc bow hunter did you ever think we’d be saying Mitchell likes to slow it down. We’re a long way from 79-2004. I’d say we were traditionally one of the best full court defensive teams in wnc.

Agreed was accustomed to those 75-90 point nights. Press press press, always the ol run jump defense. And go. But, hey a win is a win. Seem more and more that teams play at a slower pace. Not sure why.

Hope Holifield continues to shoot the ball well. Purest shot to come through in a few years. Would be nice to have that 6-6 bruiser in the paint. Buchanan is big but still needs some strength. Sparks is a bruiser but needs height (think he will have a big yr at tight end though).

Go Mountaineers

Caius has had a really good year offensively. We’re having a great year will be tough next year too. Those late 90s early 2000 teams were special. Like you said put up some big time scores and played tenacious defense

Caius has had a really good year offensively. We’re having a great year will be tough next year too. Those late 90s early 2000 teams were special. Like you said put up some big time scores and played tenacious defense
No doubt about that, he has been their best player. As it should be this has been his best year.

Go Mountaineers

My junior year the 95/96 season heritage and mitchell had a couple wars. First game was rescheduled due to weather. We ended up playing back to back Tuesday and Friday games. Both games went into overtime. We won the first by 3 and the 2nd by 1. Those were two of the most intense games I’ve ever played in lol.

Agreed was accustomed to those 75-90 point nights. Press press press, always the ol run jump defense. And go. But, hey a win is a win. Seem more and more that teams play at a slower pace. Not sure why.

Hope Holifield continues to shoot the ball well. Purest shot to come through in a few years. Would be nice to have that 6-6 bruiser in the paint. Buchanan is big but still needs some strength. Sparks is a bruiser but needs height (think he will have a big yr at tight end though).

Go Mountaineers

I agree. Seems more and more teams are going to a set play every possession instead of pushing it first to see what’s available. I love the run and gun style myself. I like to see a shot go up in under 15 seconds every trip down the floor.

My junior year the 95/96 season heritage and mitchell had a couple wars. First game was rescheduled due to weather. We ended up playing back to back Tuesday and Friday games. Both games went into overtime. We won the first by 3 and the 2nd by 1. Those were two of the most intense games I’ve ever played in lol.
We had those wars. 96 was the best the whc ever was. With Avery and Madison being truly generational teams. Heritage and Mitchell were tough each year. Then we had a pretty good team 97-98. From then till 02 Darren Williams and company were dominant. They beat statesville to go to final four. Just my opinion coaches were better players were better games were way better. You hardly see anyone dunk in our conference anymore. All four of above teams mentioned had dudes that dunked on you. Biggest difference is the speed and pace of the game. These kids wouldn’t know where those guys went till they were shooting a layup on other end. You ever see a team have as many great players as Avery and never win a final 8 or 4 game?

We had those wars. 96 was the best the whc ever was. With Avery and Madison being truly generational teams. Heritage and Mitchell were tough each year. Then we had a pretty good team 97-98. From then till 02 Darren Williams and company were dominant. They beat statesville to go to final four. Just my opinion coaches were better players were better games were way better. You hardly see anyone dunk in our conference anymore. All four of above teams mentioned had dudes that dunked on you. Biggest difference is the speed and pace of the game. These kids wouldn’t know where those guys went till they were shooting a layup on other end. You ever see a team have as many great players as Avery and never win a final 8 or 4 game?
No and to be honest 96 and 97 I expected Avery to do much better than they did. Especially 96 with Bo as a senior. He was hard to guard inside and out. They really had the whole package. Madison did as well in 96 and 97 but I don’t care to say it they were soft. When myself at barley 5’10 was throwing shots back at post players 6’8 and 6’9 there’s something wrong. I can promise you if Coffey from Avery got me on the block he was gonna try to throw it down on my head lol.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Coffey was a beast. We played them when he was on jv. Doug Greene was 5”9 playing center. Coffey went up to dunk and Doug tackled him. We run and jumped them up and down that big court and by the 4th quarter they were beat. 97-98 we split conference championship with heritage. Split the two games each winning on the others home floors. If Mitchell hadn’t ran off Barnett as basketball coach we’d have went on competing for championships. Mitchell had a few parents that were awful. Administration sided with them, thus flushing our program down the toilet where it’s been ever since.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Coffey was a beast. We played them when he was on jv. Doug Greene was 5”9 playing center. Coffey went up to dunk and Doug tackled him. We run and jumped them up and down that big court and by the 4th quarter they were beat. 97-98 we split conference championship with heritage. Split the two games each winning on the others home floors. If Mitchell hadn’t ran off Barnett as basketball coach we’d have went on competing for championships. Mitchell had a few parents that were awful. Administration sided with them, thus flushing our program down the toilet where it’s been ever since.

We split regular season my senior year 97 with mitchell also. We got the tie breaker in the tournament. And yes I never understood why they got rid of Russell he was a good coach in my opinion. Politics and parents play to much of a roll in highschool sports. I played for Jeff Hardin my freshman year at MH. Best coach I’ve ever played for and he didn’t give a $#!¥ what parents thought. He played to win and put the ones out there that gave him the best chance of doing so. I can remember picking up a tech in one game taking up for a teammate. The next day in practice one of the varsity coaches came down to our end and said I’d have to run my 10 suicides before I could play again due to the tech. Coach Hardin said how about you worry about your team and I’ll take care of mine. He got sick of the politics and left the next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mhsneer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT