ADVERTISEMENT

Bowman Gray Stadium History (includes high school game history)

PrepFanNC

Oct 10, 2017
I didn’t know which forum to put this in, but 2A seems like as good a room as any, since I read this one the most.

I grew up going to a lot of Parkland games at Bowman Gray Stadium (my parents were Parkland grads)... I also got to drag the chains for a few seasons when I was a kid for the JV Parkland team (played at Griffith Elementary/Tiny Grayhound field)

As I’ve stated in other threads... I’m bored, and I’m dying for something new to read about ANYTHING!

Take a look and let me know what you think!

https://northcarolinaroom.wordpress.com/?s=Bowman+gray+stadium

PrepFan,

Thanks for posting, growing up and still living in Forsyth County, I knew the long football and racing history of Bowman Gray Stadium, but certainly did not know about all the concerts and other events held at the stadium. I’m going to date myself, but I remember going to see West Forsyth play RJR in several HS football games at the stadium as a student. Carver/ Parkland rivalry grew do big in late 90’s they moved that game to the stadium and was played in front of large crowds. It was probably one of the largest crowds I ever officiated in front of.

In my early adulthood, my wife and several friends would attend the Saturday night racing at BGS. I probably had not been to a race in 25 years, but this past summer I decided to take my grandson and go to a race. Not sure how much fun he had, but I had a blast.

This truly a wonderful piece of the Winston-Salem history and I hope it’s around for a long time.

The writer of the article is Fam Brownlee, he does a wonderful job capturing and writing the history of Forsyth County. The NC room in the downtown library is a place of wonder.

Once again, thanks for the post and I certainly hope others will follow suit and post about their stadiums and arenas in their area.

interesting story.....here's another Bowman Gray history.....in 1941 at Mt. Airy, a game was played with Reidsville....near riot broke out and for the next 11 games....all the games between Mt. Airy and Reidsville were played at Bowman Gray stadium in W-S....(close to halfway between the 2 towns)...1942 season thru the 1952 season.......................in that span each team beat the other 5 times and there was 1 scoreless tie in 1945.............

Coached at Parkland for 6 years but I remember when Carver and Parkland used to play there and at that time I was at Mt Tabor and all the kids would talk about going to that game rather than the Tabor game. They say that it used to be crazy packed back then. I did go to one race there at the Mad house and it was a great experience

While at Wake in mid 1960’s, saw Piccolo play. I have a piece of the goal post we torn down after beating the Heels at Bowman Gray I believe in 1965. Prior to that I saw Greensboro Senior ( now Grimesly) play Reynolds. I was impressed with Coach Bob Jamieson’s son who played offense and defense. Reynolds ran the single wing. Grimesly’s stadium now named for Coach Jamieson. And the previous poster who saw Dook beating the Deacs by 50, well Duke had Jay Wilkinson playing for them. Coach Bud Wilkinson’s son

It was either 79 or 80. I remember going to see Kannapolis play Parkland in a monsoon. The field was flooded and water rolling out of the stands.

Remember reading at the MA library before their news clip machine died that NS played RJR there in 1982 in the season opener. One of our staff on Friday's played on that team and told me about it.. I was so jealous. Got to see a game at Simeon once so I'm willing to bet it's just as epic in scope to see one at BG.

Thanks for the article btw.. great read that was.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Reidsville also played Winston Salem Gray and Winston Salem Hanes at Bowman Gray when I was in high school in the late 1950s.

I think the only game Reidsville won in 1958 was beating Hanes there.
Just checked the record books and yes, Reidsville won 20-7.

What I will always remember most about that game was my cousin scored the only TD of his career in that game.

Unfortunately his life came to a tragic ending in December, 1960. He was a sophomore and I was a freshman at UNC. Returning home for the holidays he dropped me off at my home and a few minutes later was killed at a railroad crossing in Reidsville.

His parents never recovered from losing their older son that dreadful afternoon.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Went to the Carver Parkland games in 2001 through 2003, always packed and fun to watch. Miss that rivalry.

Went to the Carver Parkland games in 2001 through 2003, always packed and fun to watch. Miss that rivalry.
I do not think that rivalry will ever be what it once was. Both schools are nothing like they were in 2001 in fact they are not what they were 10 years ago. Sad at one time on of the biggest games in the state of NC now not even the biggest game in the county

I do not think that rivalry will ever be what it once was. Both schools are nothing like they were in 2001 in fact they are not what they were 10 years ago. Sad at one time on of the biggest games in the state of NC now not even the biggest game in the county

I know man, we used to go back and forth with Dudley too. Carver would win one year then Dudley beat us the next. Now we look like a middle school team that can only win 3 games. Sucks seeing Parkland and Glenn creating a rivalry but glad both the schools still have a pulse.

Well not too long ago Parkland was dead in the water and had a couple of 0-11 seasons. If Parkland can rebuild so can carver, Parkland had almost 10 years of losing records and what I think they won a share of the conference last year, so it can be done

Well not too long ago Parkland was dead in the water and had a couple of 0-11 seasons. If Parkland can rebuild so can carver, Parkland had almost 10 years of losing records and what I think they won a share of the conference last year, so it can be done

You’re not wrong. It makes me sad to see what’s happened to Carver. They get a really bad reputation for all kinds of unfair reasons over there. They could rebuild... but its going to take a massive effort.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85

True, just a matter of building up that side of Winston. Think whats helping Parkland and Glenn is a lot of young families moving into the new neighborhoods and shops on southside and Kernerville. Growth on the East side of Winston is kinda slow outside of WSSU campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT