ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Petrino-Coaches and Parents Beware

wcu1988

Aug 16, 2011
I realize in this day and age verbal commitments mean nothing until signing but the coaches are suppose to be the adults in this deal. This kid committed 8 months ago and cut off other recruiters only to be told the week of signing day that he did not have a scholarship leaving his options very limited. Petrino did not even have the guts to tell the kid himself and sent one of his assistants. Petrino's history does not speak highly of his integrity for example cheating on his wife with a member of his office staff at Arkansas and a history of lying. I would like to see more coaches around the country follow this SC coach and ban Petrino and his staff from recruiting their kids, He clearly does not have the kids best interest. Also if I was a parent of a highly recruited athlete I would not let this guy or his staff get near my kid

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/high-school-coach-bans-bobby-petrino-from-recruiting-his-players

Scum bag to say the least and not very manly to back out on the kid.....But the story does say the kid has had more offers...

But don't think Petrino's extramarital affair is relevant to the story......

Just saying......

Actually his infidelity with another married staff member and his sneaky departure from the Falcons goes to the essence of his core, which is a sticky, stinky, morass of slimy goo. There are other tales of his absolute lack of moral fiber beyond those.

He really needs a good a serious whuppin'.

Lesson learned for all. If a coach's wife and kids can't trust him, neither should a recruit.

Unfortunately, this is not an isolared incident in college football. Sometimes, it's this situation; sometimes it's releasing a current player because a supposedly better player is available. If you want to get a feel for these recruiting tactics, look at schools that routinely sign 25+ players. I'd start with Spurrier.

This happens more than what is reported. I agree chipshot a scumbag move for sure, but it is not unusual. I have been stating for years that IMHO coaches at D1 level are encouraging kids to transfer to free up scollys. Bad part is this is a job that demands winning from coaches, but affecting very young lives in the process. I think these are the loopholes the NCAA needs to close in order to keep not paying players and justify they are out for the best interest of the student athletes. Guess what I am trying to say is that it is sad what Petrino did, but it is legal, and he is placed in a position to win. If he feels there is a better prospect even after offering can you really blame him?

Similar to what happened to my son and Gardner Webb. I understand it's a business but somewhere in the process you have to throw morals in there.

Not a Petrino fan at all. However, there is another side of the coin. May not have happened to this young man, what I here is he is a great kid. But, what happens 25 times more than college coaches pulling scholarships and encouraging kids to transfer, is those kids who commit early to a school and say "Oh, by the way, I still gonna take some other visits, but (wink-wink), I am still coming to your school. And then, with all the glare and glamor, pull the Hat Trick switcheroo....stop the early commitment crap, and that should be coaches and prospects as well,

I know this player and his head coach personally. The head coach is former Indy HC and he has a rule that if a player commits that he will not be contacted by other colleges through the school. That does not mean they cannot get to the player but he feels a commitment by the player ends the recruiting process. Hakeem Nicks is a perfect example.

Colburn committed to Louisville in June of 2014. He told other schools, including FCS A5 programs, that he was firm to Louisville and they all backed off. He had looks from other ACC and SEC programs but not USC and Clemson. He had offers from excellent academic schools. Vanderbilt came after him hard early as has Navy, Army, Wofford, and Furman among others. Solid family and solid student athlete.

He wore Louisville gear every night during Shrine Bowl week. Always positive and never caused any issue. Great kid, bad situation.

Yes this does happen but not less than 48 hours before he is to sign. He was brought in the next to last weekend of January for his only official visit. He and his parents visited numerous colleges the spring and first few weeks school was out after his junior year. He was qualified on the SAT before junior year. He did everything right.

Spurrier let players go when he first came in. Told them they could remain with the team but would not renew their scholarship. They were players that were not going to play and I am not sure but do not think any of them went to other schools to play. A couple were at USC based on family ties more than football ability. The Power 5 conferences are moving toward the guaranteed contract for four (or five) years whether the player plays or not. Good move in my opinion.

Saban turned a scholarship to a greyshirt a few years ago on a big time recruit from Alabama which was the first season the SEC started the 25 recruit maximum. Player was not going to be able to play as a freshman due to a severe knee injury and subsequent surgery in December. He opted to Arkansas and redshirted and played some in 2013 but busted out this past season. He was one of two that Alabama did that too but many felt they were better off as they would have a full spring of practice and have five full seasons to be healthy and play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT