ADVERTISEMENT

Blankenship resigns at Swain

Good guy, good coach. Big loss for Swain but I'm sure they've got the next man up waiting in the wings.

The timing of Brooks resignation and Blankenship’s resignation is incredibly coincidental

Reactions: f-ball-ace
Swain is very much a keep-it-in-the-family type of organization. I don't have any real connections over there but I'm sure the next Swain coach is already a paid employee of Swain County schools and graduated as a Maroon Devil.

Would really surprise me if Brett left Pisgah for Swain.Don't see that happening.
I believe he is #1 on their list. It’s not gonna be in house. There is turmoil in that program. There is a reason only 19 players came out to play. Chappell would have a better chance at competing for state at Swain than he would Pisgah

I believe he is #1 on their list. It’s not gonna be in house. There is turmoil in that program. There is a reason only 19 players came out to play. Chappell would have a better chance at competing for state at Swain than he would Pisgah

Totally agree that he would have a better shot at a state title with Swain than with Pisgah.

I never would have thought they wouldn't hire from the inside, but I guess if it gets bad enough I suppose you have to bring in a new sheriff.

Reactions: goknightgo
Shuler has no interest in coming to coach at Swain. He was an assistant at Christ school when his son played there. He lives in Asheville I believe and would not pull up roots and leave the job he has for the head coach job

Never said they were, but the chances of them competing for a state title are far better than at Pisgah or Franklin
That's the truth. Not many schools can truly compete for a state title when they come off the mountain.

To put things in perspective a mountain team hasn't won a 2A title since Sylva in 1980. Asheville won the last mountain 3A in 2005.

So yes, it's easier to win a title from the mountain in 1A. 2 and 3 are tough sledding with the likes of Shelby, Reidsville, and WRH and of course 3A with some of the metro areas.

Heath was still an assistant at Christ School last fall when the private school's played. He appears to be mulling over a return to politics so I don't believe you'll see him seeking a high school coaching job.
Blankenship took the leave of absence due to an ill family member.
Brooks' father suffered a stroke last week and passed away earlier today. Not sure if that had a bearing on the resignation or not.
Eric Stephenson, an assistant on the Swain staff, filled in for Blankenship as IHFC.

Reactions: Swain97
Heath was still an assistant at Christ School last fall when the private school's played. He appears to be mulling over a return to politics so I don't believe you'll see him seeking a high school coaching job.
Blankenship took the leave of absence due to an ill family member.
Brooks' father suffered a stroke last week and passed away earlier today. Not sure if that had a bearing on the resignation or not.
Eric Stephenson, an assistant on the Swain staff, filled in for Blankenship as IHFC.
Blankenship took leave earlier in the year, he resigned from the position last week. There will be a new head ball coach at Swain this coming fall

The Andrews head coach was an assistant at Swain for many years and has the wildcats playing some pretty good ball of late, and Andrews will be closing down in a few years. Don’t know if he would be interested or if Swain would offer but it’s something to keep an eye on.

If he's smart he's applying for sure.

Reactions: Mhsneer
To put things in perspective a mountain team hasn't won a 2A title since Sylva in 1980. Asheville won the last mountain 3A in 2005.

So yes, it's easier to win a title from the mountain in 1A. 2 and 3 are tough sledding with the likes of Shelby, Reidsville, and WRH and of course 3A with some of the metro areas.
Point taken, but you left out 4A, where AC Reynolds won three titles the last twenty years or so (and was in the 3AA final 2-3 years ago). Not to mention that not many of the bigger schools in WNC are better than the top 1A schools. This year a mountain team went to the 2A state finals but lost by three touchdowns to a Mitchell team that lost in second round of small A. And the Hendo team that knocked Shelby out lost to a Franklin team that Murphy beat 48-14.

Last edited:
Point taken, but you left out 4A, where AC Reynolds won three titles the last twenty years or so (and was in the 3AA final 2-3 years ago). Not to mention that not many of the bigger schools in WNC are better than the top 1A schools. This year a mountain team went to the 2A state finals but lost by three touchdowns to a Mitchell team that lost in second round of small A. And the Hendo team that knocked Shelby out lost to a Franklin team that Murphy beat 48-14.
I think we can agree the SMC teams and Mitchell are head above heels the top mountain teams outside of AC.

AC has been an anomaly in 4A.

I think we can agree the SMC teams and Mitchell are head above heels the top mountain teams outside of AC.

AC has been an anomaly in 4A.
As bad as I hate to say this add Heritage to the list Over the past several years. They have a couple of title appearances and some regional finals games.

Ugh, now to go wash my mouth and sanitize my fingers for typing this.

Go Mountaineers

Asheville was stout for many years

Hearing private conversations have taken place already . Might just happen? 3-a to 1-a

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT