ADVERTISEMENT

Bishop McGuinness gets a Big Time transfer

knights4

Feb 28, 2002
He will have to sit out this year but will be eligible next year. 6'6" Noah Allred from NW Guildford. #34 Ranked player in the 2021 rankings. They have 3 kids that transferred in this year. This is what 1A basketball has become.

Reactions: littlemash
Why would a D1 prospect leave a top 10 4A team to sit out a year then play 1A ball? Doesn't make a ton of sense. Why not go to an ncisaa school where you could reclass and not have to sit a year?

Reactions: PrepFanNC
You've got to hand it to Thompson, he has really upped his game on transfers.

When he wrote on Twitter that he was happy to announce he was transferring to Bishop for the rest of his career, I am sure he meant academic career.

Having a grandchild who attends that particular public high school perhaps I know a bit more since it " doesn't make a ton of sense" to you......

As a freshman last year he scored 45 points for the year in 22 games....nice, very smart kid

Last edited:
Why he have to sit out? I tbought 365 sit out no longer a thing

Bishop has their own rule that you have to sit 365 if you transfer in after 9th grade if I’m not mistaken. Even with NCHSAA both schools have to agree it’s not for athletic purposes for the transfer to be able to play sports. You can only do that one time. If the school they are transferring from says it’s for athletic reasons then they would have to sit. And obviously this one is.

So he would not be eligible until this time next year? Why are kids doing this at an alarming rate...an entitlement soft culture we have created where so many people cater to kids.
The kids are responsible to some degree - but more than anything I blame the adults. The influence of parents/guardians looking for the "perfect" situation for their kids and the egos of coaches looking for any advantage they can muster seem to be the real issue.

Are kids really doing this at an alarming rate or is it just with the internet every transfer is known to all? Also, my daughters played AAU with kids from other local schools who became their very best friends both on and off the court. Decades ago when i was in high school we didn't know (or care to know) players from other high schools, they were our competition. We played football against them in the fall, basketball against them in the winter and baseball against them in the spring. Now most kids know each other well (and play together through the year except for the high school season), the parents know each other well ( and like each other a great deal) because of traveling with them even before high school begins and then through high school. I don't think it has anything to do with "entitlements" or a "soft culture".

Travel squads and Social Media has opened a lot more doors that were either closed or unknown in the past....

3daughters, I was also a kid back in the day who played whatever sport was in season....That too is not the case nowadays as Parents of talented kids want those kids to specialize in their best sport, and who can blame them if that means an opportunity to play at the next level for Free....

It's a very different era for sure, and kids have a lot more options today, than we had when you and I were playing High School Sports back in the 3 TV Channel days with No cell phones...

Are kids really doing this at an alarming rate or is it just with the internet every transfer is known to all? Also, my daughters played AAU with kids from other local schools who became their very best friends both on and off the court. Decades ago when i was in high school we didn't know (or care to know) players from other high schools, they were our competition. We played football against them in the fall, basketball against them in the winter and baseball against them in the spring. Now most kids know each other well (and play together through the year except for the high school season), the parents know each other well ( and like each other a great deal) because of traveling with them even before high school begins and then through high school. I don't think it has anything to do with "entitlements" or a "soft culture".

The majority of kids today complain at the first sign of something not going their way, thinking they should be handed everything.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
We need to stop giving trophies to all the little league teams even if they don't win a game.They then go through life expecting to be rewarded for failure
. That is why they expect to go on playing in high school playoffs with losing records and that should stop. Just the top 3 teams that have won at least 60% of their games or over half of their overall games should be in the playoffs. Top 2 in each division of split conferences.

Reactions: truthofda336
The majority of kids today complain at the first sign of something not going their way, thinking they should be handed everything.

I would disagree wholeheartedly....not at all the case. With all my daughters and now grandchildren playing at the high school level I've never saw indications that anyone thought they should be "handed everything". Some parents maybe, but definitely not the kids.

We need to stop giving trophies to all the little league teams even if they don't win a game.They then go through life expecting to be rewarded for failure
. That is why they expect to go on playing in high school playoffs with losing records and that should stop. Just the top 3 teams that have won at least 60% of their games or over half of their overall games should be in the playoffs. Top 2 in each division of split conferences.

High school kids don't "expect" anything.. they play where and against who they are scheduled to play. Don't put this on the kids.

Can anyone tell me how many years it has bee since they started putting teams in the playoffs with losing records ? ( 500 or below) 8 years ?

Last edited:
Travel squads and Social Media has opened a lot more doors that were either closed or unknown in the past....

3daughters, I was also a kid back in the day who played whatever sport was in season....That too is not the case nowadays as Parents of talented kids want those kids to specialize in their best sport, and who can blame them if that means an opportunity to play at the next level for Free....

It's a very different era for sure, and kids have a lot more options today, than we had when you and I were playing High School Sports back in the 3 TV Channel days with No cell phones...

Agree 100% Rick....I'm sure happy that I was in school in the late 60s and early 70s... played whatever sport was in season (and with the same pair of sneakers). High school ball was the step in maybe making it to the next level, now its all about the almost year round playing one sport. My kids absolutely loved playing AAU ball and it was a great family experience (1 weekend in Atlanta, the next in Nashville, the next in Fairfax, VA outside DC). Lots of travel with kids, their closest friends and terrific parents. Even though my kids did not play in college we would not have traded the experiences (including the costs) for anything. Kids today are not soft or entitled, its simply a different world, not better, not worse, just different. There were some weekends that we would drive 9 hrs one way, with the cost of gas, food and hotel rooms, to see our child play 3 minutes for the entire weekend. Never heard a complaint from my kid or the others not playing much, they knew where they stood and gave them the incentive to work even harder....great life lessons.

Can anyone tell me how many years it has bee since they started putting teams in the playoffs with losing records ? ( 500 or below) 8 years ?
More or less than 8 years ? rough guess or the actual year it started ? Also, what is the least amount of win can you remember a Football & BBall team have and still make the playoffs ?

Last edited:
In 2016 a 1A high school football team I won't name unless pushed to do so won 2 conference games and 2 non-conference but lost 4 conferences and 3 non-conference games ending the season with 7 losses and 4 wins, made the playoffs and lost in the first round.
My point, even a high school getting rewarded a playoff game with a bad record can make them and other high schools expect to be rewarded when it is not deserved. Not the falt of the school or team but bad decisions made by the NCHSAA board. This is not a trophy but still being rewarded for a bad season, losing close to 2/3rds of their games. This has being going on for to many years and now the teams below 500 or even 600 may expect to make the playoffs with a 4-7 record.

Last edited:
More than 8. The oldest bracket on the NCHSAA site is 95, and just has the regionals onward, not sectionals. But it shows Murphy boys made regionals at 12-10, which means they were either 10-10 or 9-10 entering the playoffs.

In 2016 a 1A high school football team I want name, won 2 conference games and 2 non-conference but lost 4 conferences and 3 non-conference games ending the season with 7 losses and 4 wins, made the playoffs and lost in the first round.
My point, even a high school getting rewarded a playoff game with a bad record can make them and other high schools expect to be rewarded when it is not deserved. Not the falt of the school or team but bad decisions made by the NCHSAA board. This is not a trophy but still being rewarded for a bad season, losing close to 2/3rds of their games. This has being going on for to many years and now the teams below 500 or even 600 may expect to make the playoffs with a 4-7 record.
I really can not see a lot of difference in giving trophies to losing little league teams or rewarding losing High Schools teams to play in the playoffs. It amounts to pretty much the same thing and now the high school kids expect it with losing records. (A award for losing) It is just wrong for the little league teams and high school team. A losing record should not be rewarded just to make any team feel they have been a winner.That hurts them more than making them try to get better or improve because they feel they were winners with a losing record. It is a farce any way you look at it.

Last edited:
When I was a senior in HS in 1A football (Fall of 95) we were 7-4 and didn't make the playoffs.

He will have to sit out this year but will be eligible next year. 6'6" Noah Allred from NW Guildford. #34 Ranked player in the 2021 rankings. They have 3 kids that transferred in this year. This is what 1A basketball has become.

No Noah Allred will not have to sit out 365 days he is eligible as soon as basketball season starts, he transferred due to issues with the HC at NW, playing the asst. coach’s son ahead of him, who is not even close to as good. Became an issue in the locker room, teammates fighting (out of his control), Reavis even sat him for the whole game sometimes when college coach’s came to see him play.. ridiculous. Along with the fact that NW Guilford has a racist culture already and the academics are very over rated.. This kid will do well at Bishop and Ik for a fact he is already loving it there. Now playing football as well. He’s just happy to be in the right spot and has a great connection with Coach Thompson!

Why would a D1 prospect leave a top 10 4A team to sit out a year then play 1A ball? Doesn't make a ton of sense. Why not go to an ncisaa school where you could reclass and not have to sit a year?
The 4A school (NW) absolutely did him wrong.. not a good school in general anyways, he’s loving bishop and is going to succeed a lot there!

I really can not see a lot of difference in giving trophies to losing little league teams or rewarding losing High Schools teams to play in the playoffs. It amounts to pretty much the same thing and now the high school kids expect it with losing records. (A award for losing) It is just wrong for the little league teams and high school team. A losing record should not be rewarded just to make any team feel they have been a winner.That hurts them more than making them try to get better or improve because they feel they were winners with a losing record. It is a farce any way you look at it.

Participation trophies.............it’s what’s wrong with the millennials.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT