ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Upset Ever In State Title Game.

Don't know about upset....but the biggest surprise to me was in 2003 state title 2AA game when Reidsville destroyed Bandys 68-12.....Rams were favored but the margin was unexpected.....still the most points scored by 1 team in title history since they've been playing at the college sites.....game was played at NCSU............................

For me, it was the 2003 2A game, SWO/Cummings. Cummings was avg. over 45 pts a Playoff game behind Bo Williams at QB. They were favored by 30+ pts. Both came in undefeated. Our LB, who got the MVP of the game kept Williams in the dirt a lot. SWO won 20-14.

Score wise it was the 2004 SWO win over Shelby 49-21.

For me, it was the 2003 2A game, SWO/Cummings. Cummings was avg. over 45 pts a Playoff game behind Bo Williams at QB. They were favored by 30+ pts. Both came in undefeated. Our LB, who got the MVP of the game kept Williams in the dirt a lot. SWO won 20-14.

Score wise it was the 2004 SWO win over Shelby 49-21.
Bo Williamson (not Williams) was maybe the last in the line of a number of great Cummings QBs - older brother Drew Williamson came before Bo and the list also includes Donnie Davis, Ernest Tinnin and Chuckie Burnette. Bo played a different position while waiting for Drew to graduate - I think he was one of the receivers.

Reactions: Rammer16
Bo Williamson (not Williams) was maybe the last in the line of a number of great Cummings QBs - older brother Drew Williamson came before Bo and the list also includes Donnie Davis, Ernest Tinnin and Chuckie Burnette. Bo played a different position while waiting for Drew to graduate - I think he was one of the receivers.
Yes, Bo Williamson. I will always remember that name. He carved up our defense back in 04 for 400 yards.
Till this day, I have never seen a Shelby defense completely shredded like that. We were fortunate enough to still win that game, because they couldn’t stop our running game, but Bo Williamson and Brandon Tate showed out, just very impressive athletes. I think Bo ended up playing receiver at Elon, he was the shorter Williamson brother, but he could sling that football, I was surprised that he was converted to receiver, probably due to his height. Of course Tate went on to UNC, and had a successful NFL career.

The current state of Cummings is still hard to believe. They were such a great program. I remember Dwight Jones and company beating one of our better basketball teams, too. Great program they were.

Yes, Bo Williamson. I will always remember that name. He carved up our defense back in 04 for 400 yards.
Till this day, I have never seen a Shelby defense completely shredded like that. We were fortunate enough to still win that game, because they couldn’t stop our running game, but Bo Williamson and Brandon Tate showed out, just very impressive athletes. I think Bo ended up playing receiver at Elon, he was the shorter Williamson brother, but he could sling that football, I was surprised that he was converted to receiver, probably due to his height. Of course Tate went on to UNC, and had a successful NFL career.

The current state of Cummings is still hard to believe. They were such a great program. I remember Dwight Jones and company beating one of our better basketball teams, too. Great program they were.

The good days. this was when the conference Reidsville was in was legit.

Cummings has more students now than they did back then (obviously not as many athletes) ... plus there was great stability in their coaching staff during the glory years.

I'm lucky I remembered it started with a "W"

Both great athletes. Bo was lighting fast and could really sling it. Cumming was defending state champs and undefeated favored by 30+. SWO came to play that day. Sophomore named TQ Hardison was named offensive MVP.

Reactions: Lion Attack

SWO shredded that defense the next year in the title game. SWO hit Shelby like no other, fumbled 2 or 3 handoff in a row. Kendric big game Burney took over on both sides of the ball. SWO lost 28 seniors and regroup to come back to win back to back titles. Shelby was favored by 25+ and no one could step on the field with them. That's why we play the game.

Reactions: dogs79

02 Reidsville would have put 500+ on y'all if they wanted

There are only big upsets to Shelby fans, because these are the two best Shelby teams that did not win state championships...

Undefeated Shelby in 1997 lost to Clinton 30-14. Clinton had Willie Parker (UNC/Pittsburgh Steelers), plus a couple of other great big RBs...

Shelby 2004 (probably a year early) lost to SW Onslow and Kendrick Burney (UNC) and T.Q. Hardison 49-21. Shelby fumbled on their first 3 possessions of the game and got behind 21-0 before the bus was even turned off...and couldn't come back. Shelby defeated powerhouse Cummings in the Western final (Brandon Tate and company), but couldn't muster that same intensity the following week at Duke University.

In both instances, Shelby came back the following year to win state championship (1998 over Tarboro, 34-14) and 2005 and 2006 back-to-back (2005 over Reidsville, 26-18 and 2006 over Southen Vance, 27-24).

Favored by thirty? SWO was undefeated and beat a loaded East Bladen in the regional final. Cummings had rolled in the playoffs but had a few close games in the regular season.

In 2002....Reidsville won 2AA state title and Cummings 2A....in 2003...both looked to repeat...Reidsville did win 2AA but Cummings was sidetracked by SWO in 2A title game.........those two teams Cummings and Reidsville...were in the same conference with Western Alamance....the old North State 2A conference...also in conference was Eastern Guilford and Western Guilford...........plus McMichael....except for McMichael...all were quality teams..............

A couple come to mind.. Maybe not the biggest upset in history of title games just a couple from my perspective on a couple Ive seen live and remember

1986: Shelby over Havelock 9-6 ... havelock got to town early.. seemed like every single one of them shaved their head into mohawks, looked enormous and just mean... Definite favorites against us... colonel hopper with the field goal to seal the win

1987: Shelby over Burlington Williams 19-0 I remember their announcers on video talking about how Shelby , who played so many kids both ways, would not be able to sustain and win the game.... We lost Cedric Surratt our bruising fullback against West Caldwell the week before and Tim Rhodes stepped in at that spot... Big play of the game was a TE hot play to Scott Church that nearly went the distance from deep in our own territory... Shut out Williams that night

Ill think of more but I am old

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I think it was 2001 when Bertie Ct beat a stacked Ragsdale team. Ragsdale was a massive favorite and was rolling everyone, that night the bertie qb set the state championship record for passing yards which didnt last long because chris leak broke it.

02 Reidsville would have put 500+ on y'all if they wanted
Didn’t realize until a few months ago that the ‘98 Tarboro team we played in the state championship, destroyed Reidsville to get there. Needless to say, that ‘98 Shelby team, with my guy @theTRUEdynasty, flatlined Tarboro, 34-14. Anyway, they “would have put over a 1000 yards rushing on y’all if they wanted”. Let’s just leave it at that, bro, no more of this Reidsville vs Shelby thread killing back and forth is needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: theTRUEdynasty
SWO shredded that defense the next year in the title game. SWO hit Shelby like no other, fumbled 2 or 3 handoff in a row. Kendric big game Burney took over on both sides of the ball. SWO lost 28 seniors and regroup to come back to win back to back titles. Shelby was favored by 25+ and no one could step on the field with them. That's why we play the game.
Facts, bro, no argument here. KB, TQ Hardison, and Dakota Marshall were all very impressive, especially Kendrick Burney, as a quarterback and db, just an athlete, period.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNC91
Favored by thirty? SWO was undefeated and beat a loaded East Bladen in the regional final. Cummings had rolled in the playoffs but had a few close games in the regular season.

That 03 East Title Game has to be my favorite all time ever. East scored with 5.03 remaining in the game to go up by 14 I think, might have been 13 or 15. Any way we were sitting on the top row just in front of the EB spotters. They kept yelling for us to sit down, they couldnt see ... NO we didnt .... :p After the score they started to pack their gear and told us, "better luck next year". Within 2 minutes they were back sitting back up. We ran the kickoff back and and got an on sides kick to score again. We had the ball and was driving when the game ended. And yes we had good luck the next year also. We also rolled Tarboro the second round 41-8, but they were not very good that year.

Didn’t realize until a few months ago that the ‘98 Tarboro team we played in the state championship, destroyed Reidsville to get there. Needless to say, that ‘98 Shelby team, with my guy @theTRUEdynasty, flatlined Tarboro, 34-14. Anyway, they “would have put over a 1000 yards rushing on y’all if they wanted”. Let’s just leave it at that, bro, no more of this Reidsville vs Shelby thread killing back and forth is needed.

That's cute coming from the guy who went on a 3 page rant on the reidsville/ne thread.
The 500+ was realistic, when's the last time Shelby ran for 1000 in a game?

That's cute coming from the guy who went on a 3 page rant on the reidsville/ne thread.
Yep and haven’t visited that thread since, Northeastern posters deserved better than that during championship week. Yet, here you were in this thread thinking about Shelby yet again.

The 500+ was realistic, when's the last time Shelby ran for 1000 in a game?
When was the last time Reidsville passed for 500 yards? Have a good day, man, just noticed that you edited that in there. Stick to the title of this thread.

I knew that Shelby team smelled funny in Kenan that day, so this explains everything!

Tarboro lost their stud lineman Issac Morning early in that title game, knee injury if I remember correctly. Might have helped that old wing-t/box stuff they were running, might not have either lol

If you guys enrollment goes down another notch, I think we can get the match up next season. If not I see another repeat championship match up with Reidsville and Ne and Shelby vs tbd.

When was the last time Reidsville passed for 500 yards? Have a good day, man, just noticed that you edited that in there. Stick to the title of this thread.
Yep and haven’t visited that thread since, Northeastern posters deserved better than that during championship week. Yet, here you were in this thread thinking about Shelby yet again.

Please, like I said before, if only Reidsville had a championship for every thread y'all started about us. All of a sudden you want to be polite and respectful. You just got embarrassed on the other thread cause NE posters realized how obsessed y'all are. Truth.

If you guys enrollment goes down another notch, I think we can get the match up next season. If not I see another repeat championship match up with Reidsville and Ne and Shelby vs tbd.
Why are you still thinking about us, though, bro? I haven’t thought about Reidsville until whitedynamite quoted me in this thread. You can find Lion Attack in a yoga position, candles lit, heated towel wrapped around my head. You’d think I was Dhalsim from the old Street Fighter game right about now.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and UNC91
Why are you still thinking about us, though, bro? I haven’t thought about Reidsville until whitedynamite quoted me in this thread. You can find Lion Attack in a yoga position, candles lit, heated towel wrapped around my head. You’d think I was Dhalsim from the old Street Fighter game right about now.

i was just saying that it’s a chance to put all the talk to bed next season

Please, like I said before, if only Reidsville had a championship for every thread y'all started about us. All of a sudden you want to be polite and respectful. You just got embarrassed on the other thread cause NE posters realized how obsessed y'all are. Truth.
I ain’t gonna lie, when that one Northeastern poster asked for a new thread, I did picture him having eyes like Puss in Boots. And for the record, I haven’t seen any Reidsville threads started by any Shelby posters. Posters of both fan bases follow each other’s threads. See our “members only thread” as you fondly put it. I see reaction to posts from both groups. Anyway, that’s it, bruh. Let us not hijack this thread any further.

Last edited:
So, does Salisbury have a chance Saturday ?

How did he compare to what Rico Dowdle did to Shelby at Shelby his senior year ? That was the only guy I have ever seen make Shelby’s defense look bad. Even tho Shelby still won he was completely out of gas at the end of the game. Only time I have ever seen 4or 5 Shelby guys on the ground and he was still running wild

Reactions: Lion Attack
How did he compare to what Rico Dowdle did to Shelby at Shelby his senior year ? That was the only guy I have ever seen make Shelby’s defense look bad. Even tho Shelby still won he was completely out of gas at the end of the game. Only time I have ever seen 4or 5 Shelby guys on the ground and he was still running wild
There’s no topping, Rico Dowdle, he’s one of the best players I have ever seen. Phenomenal, amazing athlete.

Reactions: Mopar forever
A couple come to mind.. Maybe not the biggest upset in history of title games just a couple from my perspective on a couple Ive seen live and remember

1986: Shelby over Havelock 9-6 ... havelock got to town early.. seemed like every single one of them shaved their head into mohawks, looked enormous and just mean... Definite favorites against us... colonel hopper with the field goal to seal the win

1987: Shelby over Burlington Williams 19-0 I remember their announcers on video talking about how Shelby , who played so many kids both ways, would not be able to sustain and win the game.... We lost Cedric Surratt our bruising fullback against West Caldwell the week before and Tim Rhodes stepped in at that spot... Big play of the game was a TE hot play to Scott Church that nearly went the distance from deep in our own territory... Shut out Williams that night

You just made me want a Sundrop.

Watched the Havelock game on TV. Havelock fumbled a punt near its own goal line late in the game leading to that FG.

Regrettably, no!
I would like to redact this statement!

....out of respect for the Cardiac Pack of ‘83 and Big V...of course!...Saws Brewery has a chance! It’s a slim one! Probably less than 1%. It’s all about confidence! A couple breaks go the Hornets way and they start believing!....they could make this a game. Shelby is too big, too fast, too deep. Etc. Etc.!
But!,....it ain’t over

4A West Charlotte v South View. 1991.
3A Cummings v AL Brown. 1989.
2A Maiden v West Brunswick. 1991.

1989 was the ice storm with games moved to Sunday.
1991 rained throughout Friday and all day. Field was terrible fir the 4A nightcap.

Facts, bro, no argument here. KB, TQ Hardison, and Dakota Marshall were all very impressive, especially Kendrick Burney, as a quarterback and db, just an athlete, period.
Clinton beat Burney & Company SWO in 05 fo win the conference championship en route to the state championship win. Beating SWO was quite a accomplishment that season. I still remember plays in that game in slow motion!

I knew that Shelby team smelled funny in Kenan that day, so this explains everything!

Tarboro lost their stud lineman Issac Morning early in that title game, knee injury if I remember correctly. Might have helped that old wing-t/box stuff they were running, might not have either lol
In 1998 Reidsnville upset undefeated #1, twice defending champ Clinton in the 3rd round. Clinton essentially had the same team (seniors) that defeated one of Shelby's finest teams the previous 1997 season. The Horses may have been looking ahead for a rematch with Shelby.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT