ADVERTISEMENT

Big Smoky Mountain Conference - All Conference

For anyone wanting to know the Smoky Mountain Conference Player of the Year and All-Conference selections:

https://t.co/L6GCKg34Ed
I wonder what criteria they look at for Player of the Year and Coach of the Year. I'm sure it's a tough call and each nominee is deserving but I have to disagree with both. Murphy Coach turned a mediocre team into a great team in one season

I wonder what criteria they look at for Player of the Year and Coach of the Year. I'm sure it's a tough call and each nominee is deserving but I have to disagree with both. Murphy Coach turned a mediocre team into a great team in one season

First sentence in the link:
"Here are the all-conference selections for Big Smoky Mountain Conference boys basketball as voted on by the coaches."

First sentence in the link:
"Here are the all-conference selections for Big Smoky Mountain Conference boys basketball as voted on by the coaches."
My bad, I thought this was the girls. I very well know it is by the coaches. I just asked a simple question

Why not king for player of the year ? Who is your choice ?
Well in any Player of the Year they always go by stats. In college or pro you see them put scoring, ppg, rebounds etc. if you go on Maxpreps she is only at the top of two stats. Don't get me wrong, she is a great player. But she didn't have her best year. What criteria would you use to pick Player of the Year ? The Senior from Murphy had a good year and led in a lot more stats and had 18 Double Doubles

What's a lot more stats .. king led Wnc in steals and assists .. and scored 14 or so a game .. that's not conference that's Wnc.

What's a lot more stats .. king led Wnc in steals and assists .. and scored 14 or so a game .. that's not conference that's Wnc.
Well I guess we are bias towards our own players. Scoring is generally the main thing one looks at. Pick out the top 3 or 4 players and see which ones out performed her. It's simple as that. It's not a popularity contest or who is the best athlete. It's who performed the best in the season and stats don't lie

and when you consider that king played in a bunch of running clock games and a player isn't nor should be judged on just points. She deserved it and I'm guessing since the coaches voted on it they thought so too

Giving it to someone who only led in steals or assists would be like giving Player of the Year in football to the one who had the most interceptions or fumble recoveries !! That don't happen. I rest my case

ok lets go by your thoughts. you made me do my research. 25 for murphy avg 12 pts ... king avg 14.. I rest my case

ok lets go by your thoughts. you made me do my research. 25 for murphy avg 12 pts ... king avg 14.. I rest my case
Ok, take time and be open minded and go down every stat and out of say the top 5 in each category who would you pick. I still don't see King getting it. By the way, they don't look at things like running clock or just had a off night.

king owned pts assists and steals. 25 had rebounds and blocks. Plus games like andrews and others where she only played half the game do matter. In fact wasn't it you who was complaining about Cherokee starters coming back in the 4th qtr and playing but then at the end of the year you want to measure stats for stats. Just give the girl credit she deserved it if coach would of kept her in she prob would of scored 20 a game she is also a very unselfish player which is why she leads in assists.

king owned pts assists and steals. 25 had rebounds and blocks. Plus games like andrews and others where she only played half the game do matter. In fact wasn't it you who was complaining about Cherokee starters coming back in the 4th qtr and playing but then at the end of the year you want to measure stats for stats. Just give the girl credit she deserved it if coach would of kept her in she prob would of scored 20 a game she is also a very unselfish player which is why she leads in assists.
Wasn't complaining just stating facts. I stated she was a great player but I think other girls had over all better year. And about complaining about running score up and putting starters back in. I hold strong on that comment and that's for any team that's does it. You know they are other good teams with good deserving players other than Cherokee. It isn't always about your team. Everyone likes to beat their chest for their own, I understand that but you have to be fair to every deserving student athlete

That's the great thing about life. We can do it in a respectful way. On to Softball & Track

Congrats to Pooh King and Deland Thomas. Both very deserving of POY.

I have no ties to murphy or cherokee, but think that king was most deserving. Clapsaddle would be closest competition from murphy IMO.

Conference winning coach.

I think Josh Cottrell from Hayesville was deserving. He was the focus of every team on their schedule and faced every type of defense know to man and still posted very impressive numbers. Thomas is deserving but didn't face the same obstacles as Cottrell.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Well he lost to Cherokee twice by 40 or more. He was talented but poy doesn't come from 6th place team.

Well he lost to Cherokee twice by 40 or more. He was talented but poy doesn't come from 6th place team.

Why not? It is the player of the year, not the MVP.. The fact that he is D-1 commit with multiple offers speaks volumes for his ability.

It doesn't matter what place his team was in. It's Player of the Year !!!! Why does everyone think you have to give it to a player from a top Team ??? Come on now, they get a team award for being the winner of the conference or tournament. This is PLAYER OF THE YEAR !!

Cause a good player on a bad team will take every shot and get more rebounds cause their team is bad and misses more shots. The best player on a good team doesn't take every shot and therefore not have as many points per game. That's simple math.

abad it also matters if you score all your points against the bad teams then barely score against the good teams..

abad it also matters if you score all your points against the bad teams then barely score against the good teams..

Josh averaged more points in conference games against the teams that finished higher in the standings than teams they finished above.

Cause a good player on a bad team will take every shot and get more rebounds cause their team is bad and misses more shots. The best player on a good team doesn't take every shot and therefore not have as many points per game. That's simple math.
That's bull crap. I've never heard such in my life. Good try though

Wildcat you got to live in some other country.

If a kid on a bad team has to shoot the ball 30 times but makes 8 of them is that better than a player who shoots it 10 times and makes 7?

Player 1 avgs more points but whose better ... player 2

All this depends on your system...on one hand, you always hear that the only man to hold Michael Jordan under 20 points was Dean Smith--and that could support the argument about being on a better team or in a certain offense hurting stats. But I have also seen good teams that were built around one scorer and perfect complementary players (one that comes to mind would be Allen Iverson's 76ers with Dikembe Mutombo and other great defensive players around him helping the team win but not taking many shots away). It's all situational, which is why it's hard to just point to stats when you're making these decisions.

In general, I try to avoid these discussions because I usually think there are a few kids every year you could make a legitimate case for, and if you argue for one that makes it seem like you think the kid who got it is undeserving, which is rarely the case. Regarding this year, I will just say I thought there were three deserving candidates on each side of things, and a deserving party got it in both cases.

If a kid on a bad team has to shoot the ball 30 times but makes 8 of them is that better than a player who shoots it 10 times and makes 7?

Lets look at it this way. Player 1's team struggles. He is constantly hounded full court, double teamed most of the time and chased everywhere. Player 2 is on a diverse offensive team, as a result he gets several open looks. Whose better, the player who is under constant pressure and still score or the one who can knock down open shots? Which one's team would suffer more from his not playing?

Agreed observe if I was just pulling for a Cherokee kid as wildcat says I am I thought we had a poy candidate in the boys but I think the rosman kid was very deserving and got it.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I understand your point and there is no true evaluation. But if the better team lost there best player they wouldn't be the better team. If the best player on a bad team is lost then they are still a bad team. I'm not sure the correct answer but in every level every league the poy comes from top 3 teams. Probably like Westbrook won't win poy in NBA

I understand your point and there is no true evaluation. But if the better team lost there best player they wouldn't be the better team. If the best player on a bad team is lost then they are still a bad team. I'm not sure the correct answer but in every level every league the poy comes from top 3 teams. Probably like Westbrook won't win poy in NBA

Actually the NBA has had MVPs from less than stellar teams.

Bob Petitt 55-56 team finished 33-39
Kareem Abdul Jabbar 75-76 team finished 40-42
In the NCAA no better example than Pete Maravich, POY and never made the NCAA tournament

It is a hard choice and not every one sees it the same. No disrespect to any player or team. Observe & Report summed it up well. Everyone had a valid point

U gave 3 examples in 60 years . There are exceptions I just think the right players got it in the smc case.

That's why I said to take time and go down all the stats of the top 5 players. I think you will be shocked st the shooting pct, shots att, etc. I did take the time and that's why I didn't agree. And I picked a player from another school other than Andrews.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT