ADVERTISEMENT

Best teams not to a win State Championship game

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Ok I did see this off of another forum. But thought it would be interesting to bring this up. Regardless of classification what are the best teams that didn’t win a State Championship game, but had a good chance to win.

From what I saw in the 3A Western Final last year, I would have to think they would be considered a favorite. Like everyone else, they have lost some players to graduation. I don't keep up with them that close but I expect they will be back in the top 3 or 4 in 3A.

I know KM had a special team back in ‘98. Kings Mountain knock off a good AL Brown team that had Nick Maddox. Then they would beat Concord to advance to the State final of the 3A only to lose to Carver.

Another one comes to mind. Carrboro entering the 2AA State Championship game in 2012 at 15-0, would lose to 13-2 South Iredell. Carrboro had Star players such as QB Alex McVeigh and RB Trai Sharpe.

2011 Mooresville - If our starting QB didnt get hurt and other events didnt happen that year, I think Mooresville would gotten to the State title game

West Charlotte 1991, 1994, 1997, 1998.

Tougher road pre-subdividing.

Crest 2000.
In 1AA the loser of the playoff games between Albemarle and Thomasville between 2001 until Thomasville moved up.

‘97 WC blow the lead on Richmond in the playoffs or regular season game?

Thomasville the year TA McClendon was a senior. They beat Albemarle in the regular season then barely lost in the playoffs and Albemarle toasted everyone else. The Thomasville-Albemarle game was basically the state championship game.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I was at the West Rowan n Tuscola game in the playoffs. That was one heck of a game. Another comes to mind in 2010 playoffs I believe. Hibriten at West Rowan. That was a dog fight. Hibriten could have won that one as well as West Rowan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT