ADVERTISEMENT

Best Shelby, Reidsville, Clinton and Havelock team

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Since I posted one for 4A and 3A, I thought I would do one for 2A. Shelby, Reidsville, Clinton and Havelock. Which season of the 4 had the best team.

To me this was a tough choice but I give it to the 2016 Reidsville squad that was 16-0...............pitched 7 shutouts.....scored 835 points in their 16-0 season and gave up 114......avg. scoring 52.19 ppg and gave up 7.13 ppg........................

To me this was a tough choice but I give it to the 2016 Reidsville squad that was 16-0...............pitched 7 shutouts.....scored 835 points in their 16-0 season and gave up 114......avg. scoring 52.19 ppg and gave up 7.13 ppg........................[/QUOT

Havelock is 3a. The best reidsville team is
To me this was a tough choice but I give it to the 2016 Reidsville squad that was 16-0...............pitched 7 shutouts.....scored 835 points in their 16-0 season and gave up 114......avg. scoring 52.19 ppg and gave up 7.13 ppg........................

See I might go with other reidsville teams. The 2002 and 03 teams who played better competition. The 07 team played better teams too.

That’s right Havelock is 3A. I must of got crossed up with Wallace Rose Hill. What was I thinking. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:
Havelock is 3a. The best reidsville team is

See I might go with other reidsville teams. The 2002 and 03 teams who played better competition. The 07 team played better teams too.
Well I can go even more old school with a great Reidsville Ram team......1970......record of 12-0-1......beating Graham, NE Guilford, Mount Tabor, Eastern Randolph, Mount Airy, High Point Andrews. Madison-Mayodan, Morehead, Burlington Cummings, Western Alamance, Brevard, Pisgah......only blemish was a 6-6 tie with Southern Alamance........Reidsville that year pitched 5 shutouts...scored 338 points avg. 26 ppg....giving up only 68 avg 5.2 ppg..this was a great ballclub.....hard to believe it has been 50 years...................

Reactions: tarheel fan1
For Clinton i would say the 1990 or 97 team, leaning more towards the 97 team some say easily could been the best team in the state regardless of classification that year. 97 team avg 45 ppg giving up 6 with 6 shutouts amazingly did have one blemish on their record losing to conference foe and rival East Duplin 13-10 but came back to avenge that loss with a 33-0 win in the Eastern Championship game later that season.

And no shame in losing to East Duplin that year lemme tell you i seen up here before not alot of people outside of Eastern NC know about the ED program thinking they just came on the scene in during that 2017 run. In the 90's and 2000's ED produced some great teams led by Coach Brian Alridge. If it wasnt for some great Clinton,Tarboro, and that Hibriten team in 2017 East Duplin would have/could have multiple state Championships. Always been a heated rival but i have alot of respect for that program over there.

Reactions: dogs79 and oldway55
And no shame in losing to East Duplin that year lemme tell you i seen up here before not alot of people outside of Eastern NC know about the ED program thinking they just came on the scene in during that 2017 run. In the 90's and 2000's ED produced some great teams led by Coach Brian Alridge. If it wasnt for some great Clinton,Tarboro, and that Hibriten team in 2017 East Duplin would have/could have multiple state Championships. Always been a heated rival but i have alot of respect for that program over there.
I've seen some really good ED teams in 90s. Coach Aldridge left ED in 90 I believe,after 2 years in Whiteville went back to ED. My son played for Brian at Whiteville. Brian was the best coach I've saw in making changes on the side line in a game. Kids liked him too.

No way that team is better than 2002. They played in one of The toughest conferences in the state. During that time.

No way that team is better than 2002. They played in one of The toughest conferences in the state. During that time.

Yeah the 2016 team was good, but we never really got a measuring stick game. We played some tough teams in the playoffs and had a decent non conference.

If things go well with this season we may can get a tough non conference, with no county teams.

I'll agree they were a tremendous team but that 1 loss to a mediocre Person Co. team is a real blemish....I know..I know Crews was ineligible for that game...but the Rams should have found a way to win that game anyway.....No doubt North State 2A conference then was one good one....Western Guilford, Cummings, Western Alamance, Eastern Guilford, McMichael.....non conf....the above Person Co.....Durham Riverside, Thomasville, Morehead, Ravenscroft, Rockingham County..............F.W.I.W......calpreps.com says 2016 Rams edge out 2003 Rams 31-30.....(the site wont allow to matchup any earlier than 2003)............

Clinton had some great teams in 90s and early 2000s . Whiteville and Clinton had some really good teams that played each other. Whiteville has has a dynasty in 80s and 90s. One of the best coaching staffs I've ever seen. In early 90s they had Brian Aldrege head coach,Greg Black on,Glen McCoy,Wolf,Mitch Mccleney,Brian Mccleney,Kenney Helms which was all American at Georgia under Vince Dooley. Heck of a staff.

Whiteville is one team that has never played Reidsville....came close to having a matchup a couple of years ago when W'ville was knocked out by Mt. Heritage who ended up losing to Reidsville....wouldn't mind a matchup so I could head down that way...since I have a modest place at Cherry Grove and it would be fairly close to Whiteville.....Rams have played South Columbus a couple of times...winning both....1998 at South Columbus and 2017 in Reidsville....I know Whiteville and South Columbus are pretty big rivals....is that the biggest rivalry for those 2?? Reidsville and Whiteville have played each in basketball.....wining one and losing one (in playoffs).....the one the Rams lost to W'ville I believe they went on to win a state title...had a big guy that ended up playing for Maryland.....his name escapes me...............

I'll agree they were a tremendous team but that 1 loss to a mediocre Person Co. team is a real blemish....I know..I know Crews was ineligible for that game...but the Rams should have found a way to win that game anyway.....No doubt North State 2A conference then was one good one....Western Guilford, Cummings, Western Alamance, Eastern Guilford, McMichael.....non conf....the above Person Co.....Durham Riverside, Thomasville, Morehead, Ravenscroft, Rockingham County..............F.W.I.W......calpreps.com says 2016 Rams edge out 2003 Rams 31-30.....(the site wont allow to matchup any earlier than 2003)............

I agree, I didn’t go to that game but even with no crews Rams should have been able to eek it out. I would think the 2016 team could win that game with no tanner Wilson.

the 2003 team lost with no Jerome Simpson

Last edited:
Whiteville is one team that has never played Reidsville....came close to having a matchup a couple of years ago when W'ville was knocked out by Mt. Heritage who ended up losing to Reidsville....wouldn't mind a matchup so I could head down that way...since I have a modest place at Cherry Grove and it would be fairly close to Whiteville.....Rams have played South Columbus a couple of times...winning both....1998 at South Columbus and 2017 in Reidsville....I know Whiteville and South Columbus are pretty big rivals....is that the biggest rivalry for those 2?? Reidsville and Whiteville have played each in basketball.....wining one and losing one (in playoffs).....the one the Rams lost to W'ville I believe they went on to win a state title...had a big guy that ended up playing for Maryland.....his name escapes me...............
Chris Wilcox

I was at both Reidsville vs South Columbus games. In 2017 it was a good game. South had a good team in 1998. Reidsville has alot of tradition also.

In the '98 S. Col./Reidsville game the Stallions were undefeated coming into the game and had set a national game record for rushing yards the week before vs, one of the Rams conference foes, Eastern Guilford (that record has since been broken).....Against Reidsville...South Columbus took the opening kickoff and ground out a drive (all on the ground) which led to a TD and 7-0 lead......however that was it for S. Col...as Reidsville went on to win 37-7...made the long trek myself and on the way down to the game was pretty much hoping Reidsville could keep it close and maybe pull it out at the end.....had no idea that the Rams would dominate that game after that opening drive...................

In the '98 S. Col./Reidsville game the Stallions were undefeated coming into the game and had set a national game record for rushing yards the week before vs, one of the Rams conference foes, Eastern Guilford (that record has since been broken).....Against Reidsville...South Columbus took the opening kickoff and ground out a drive (all on the ground) which led to a TD and 7-0 lead......however that was it for S. Col...as Reidsville went on to win 37-7...made the long trek myself and on the way down to the game was pretty much hoping Reidsville could keep it close and maybe pull it out at the end.....had no idea that the Rams would dominate that game after that opening drive...................
Go back and read what I wrote about that 1998 game that is reprinted in dhag's book which has the absolutely most truthful title in the world.:D:D:D:D

Reactions: rambbq
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT