ADVERTISEMENT

Best Programs to Never Win a Title?

Best to not have one around my area.. hmm.

East Wilkes had that run in the mid 10's; the 2015 team I think coulda made the western finals in small 1A; but I don't know if they could have beaten Robbinsville. The 2017 team I see giving Cherokee a brawl and maybe beating them. I think if they did they woulda won the title that year. If West Wilkes for that matter had been a small 1A in the early 00's I see them making noise with their 2001 team. Them vs East Surry that year woulda been a barn burner. They were too big AMD wise for their own good. Their mid 00's teams also underperformed more than they should have.. guess that's what happen when you run a gimmicky offense in a super stout conference.

Southside Chocowinity is one I felt shoulda won one in the early 00's; Elkin just happened to be in their way. Same for Hayesville in 2002; Neil Setzer shoulda won him a title that year (our most underated head coach imo.) Elkin also blocked Manteo off but Southside deserved it more than they did.

I agree on Northeastern.. it broke my heart watching it slip from them in 2018. Honestly I felt they out hit and out played Reidsville in that game; Reidsville just got 1 break that helped them pull it out.

Slash, I 100% agree. 2015 EW was an excellent football team. I also believe the 2001 WW team may be one of the most physical I have ever seen. If they could have been in the 1A ranks, I think they could have had one, as they Destroyed the Albemarle team that won it in 01 the year prior. What do y'all think is what keeps these teams from knocking down the door and finally getting to the top? Talent, Coaching, combination of both?

Reactions: radioguy16
I remember the 2015 East Wilkes team well and I truly thought Mitchell would be tougher than WRH in some degree. Mitchell was really good and I have a TON of respect for the program as I set with the Mitchell fans in Pilot Mtn this past year in the WRF game. As a broadcaster the dream for me is to call a State Championship Football game and East Wilkes was the closest any team in my time has come and probably will come. West Wilkes in the early 00's was really good and lets not forget the Wilkes Central team in mid 00's that lost a tough one to Lincolnton who went on to win state.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
Slash, I 100% agree. 2015 EW was an excellent football team. I also believe the 2001 WW team may be one of the most physical I have ever seen. If they could have been in the 1A ranks, I think they could have had one, as they Destroyed the Albemarle team that won it in 01 the year prior. What do y'all think is what keeps these teams from knocking down the door and finally getting to the top? Talent, Coaching, combination of both?

2017 I felt Mitchell was over confident and overlooked an excellent Cherokee team. Other than that year, they drew the wrong division of 1a each time. If we played down Murphy was great. Then we played up last year and nearly upset the best team in 1a and 2a. If your in 1aa and you go to the championship 2015 you’re going to play tarboro or wrh. You’d better be like East surry was last year and have some d1 players. Mitchell has excellent coaching and over the past 6 years some really good football players, but not that one great d1 player to get them over the top against wrh, Murphy 18 or East surry. 2017 is the only year I feel we got out played by a team we should have beat. Also, you have to have some breaks with the refs. Murphy 18 interception called back and East 19 touchdown call hurt us. That doesn’t mean we’d have won either game but you have to get lucky with officiating in critical moments

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
I remember the 2015 East Wilkes team well and I truly thought Mitchell would be tougher than WRH in some degree. Mitchell was really good and I have a TON of respect for the program as I set with the Mitchell fans in Pilot Mtn this past year in the WRF game. As a broadcaster the dream for me is to call a State Championship Football game and East Wilkes was the closest any team in my time has come and probably will come. West Wilkes in the early 00's was really good and lets not forget the Wilkes Central team in mid 00's that lost a tough one to Lincolnton who went on to win state.

WC in 2007 lost to Lincolnton by 3, and if I remember correctly, Lincolnton scored with only a minute or 2 left on the clock, WC had led most of the night. Heck of a football game though

Don't wanna stir the pot and this is only my opinion..someone said Mitchell would have beaten Robbinsville last year..that is laughable. Mitchells trip to the Big Oaks would not have been pleasant.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Don't wanna stir the pot and this is only my opinion..someone said Mitchell would have beaten Robbinsville last year..that is laughable.
If they played as they did against East Surry at ES, I can very well see them beating Robbinsville by several TDs. Yes, that's the same ES team that walked all over Tarboro 56-28....

Don't wanna stir the pot and this is only my opinion..someone said Mitchell would have beaten Robbinsville last year..that is laughable. Mitchells trip to the Big Oaks would not have been pleasant.
Almost as laughable as posting CalPreps scores simulator perpuating Robbinsville 2019 was better than any of the Murphy teams over the last decade ;)

If they played as they did against East Surry at ES, I can very well see them beating Robbinsville by several TDs. Yes, that's the same ES team that walked all over Tarboro 56-28....
Yes and the same team that won the 1A State Championship...Again.. Mitchell wasn't coming to the Big Oaks winning by 3 tds..I can promise you that. Robbinsville was not going to be denied last year..it was just one of those teams..maybe the meanest Knights team to ever step on the field.

Almost as laughable as posting CalPreps scores simulator perpuating Robbinsville 2019 was better than any of the Murphy teams over the last decade ;)
There is no doubt in my mind that 2019 Robbinsville team could beat any Murphy team in the last decade..Would they have? Nobody knows..

There is no doubt in my mind that 2019 Robbinsville team could beat any Murphy team in the last decade..Would they have? Nobody knows..
I was mostly just giving you a hard time, we all have our biases.

Obviously as a Murphy guy I disagree, I think Murphy has had 3 teams in the last 10 years that I would take over 2019 Robbinsville A game versus A game.

I think the 2009 Robbinsville team at their best was better than the 2019 Robbinsville team, at least talent wise. The 2009 Robbinsville team should have at most finished the year with a single loss against a great Mtn Heritage team (and had ya'll been healthy that game would've been much much closer) and won the 1A title that season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentle Knight
I was mostly just giving you a hard time, we all have our biases.

Obviously as a Murphy guy I disagree, I think Murphy has had 3 teams in the last 10 years that I would take over 2019 Robbinsville A game versus A game.

I think the 2009 Robbinsville team at their best was better than the 2019 Robbinsville team, at least talent wise. The 2009 Robbinsville team should have at most finished the year with a single loss against a great Mtn Heritage team (and had ya'll been healthy that game would've been much much closer) and won the 1A title that season.
2019 avg win was 40-14
2009 avg win was 39-13.
Would have been a heck of a game..
I still would take the 2019 team..just so much speed and talent with Anderson, Hooper, Collins, McGuire, Lawson,and Lane.
2009 did not have a quarterback that could run like Collins did this year.
The 2009 line was probably bigger but I don't think they were as strong and mean as this years..and they sure wasn't quicker.
2009 team did have a tougher route to the Championship although they didn't have to beat Murphy ..but Mt Airy was a stud team in 2009..wonder what calpreps says? Lol

Reactions: realjoejr
2019 avg win was 40-14
2009 avg win was 39-13.
Would have been a heck of a game..
I still would take the 2019 team..just so much speed and talent with Anderson, Hooper, Collins, McGuire, Lawson,and Lane.
2009 did not have a quarterback that could run like Collins did this year.
The 2009 line was probably bigger but I don't think they were as strong and mean as this years..and they sure wasn't quicker.
2009 team did have a tougher route to the Championship although they didn't have to beat Murphy ..but Mt Airy was a stud team in 2009..wonder what calpreps says? Lol
Mount Airy only beat Robbinsville by 1 point 27-26 and went on to lose to Wallace Rose Hill by 1 point 38-37 in OT. Mount Airy scored the go-ahead points in OT to be up 37-30 and WRH came down and scored and it was 37-36 and they took a time out and came back and went for 2 and got it winning 38-37. Hard way to lose a state championship game. I think WRH went 2A a few years later.

WOW..
Calpreps.
2019 Robbinsville 38
2009 Robbinsville 21
CalPreps is heavily skewed by margins and can't factor in things like injuries or a bad game. The Heritage scoring margin and the Murphy loss is why CalPreps says that. CalPreps algorithm doesn't know or care that Robbinsville played the Heritage game short handed or that the Murphy loss was mostly mental. 'Dogs had Knights number at that point, similar to how Franklin did Murphy for about 8 years even though Murphy definitely had more talent some of those years.

I mean the eye test says there's no way in hell 2019 Robbinsville beats 2009 Robbinsville by seventeen. Both bring their A game it's a touchdown ball game either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentle Knight
I think at least two Murphy teams from the last decade would have handled their 2019 team quite well
The 2010 and 2016 Murphy teams had it all. 2018 was very good too but not on the same level as those two in the passing game. The 2013 Murphy team had a ton of speed and an amazing offense but was not as good up front as those 3 teams. 2014 would've been in the conversation with those first three teams had they stayed healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Best to not have one around my area.. hmm.

East Wilkes had that run in the mid 10's; the 2015 team I think coulda made the western finals in small 1A; but I don't know if they could have beaten Robbinsville. The 2017 team I see giving Cherokee a brawl and maybe beating them. I think if they did they woulda won the title that year. If West Wilkes for that matter had been a small 1A in the early 00's I see them making noise with their 2001 team. Them vs East Surry that year woulda been a barn burner. They were too big AMD wise for their own good. Their mid 00's teams also underperformed more than they should have.. guess that's what happen when you run a gimmicky offense in a super stout conference.

Southside Chocowinity is one I felt shoulda won one in the early 00's; Elkin just happened to be in their way. Same for Hayesville in 2002; Neil Setzer shoulda won him a title that year (our most underated head coach imo.) Elkin also blocked Manteo off but Southside deserved it more than they did.

I agree on Northeastern.. it broke my heart watching it slip from them in 2018. Honestly I felt they out hit and out played Reidsville in that game; Reidsville just got 1 break that helped them pull it out.
Mitchell for sure, I think 2017 was their year but it didn't happen for them. I think they would have won it last year had they stayed small.
I agree . I would have loved to seen Mitchell play Tarboro last year in the championship
East Surrys passing game just schreaded Tarboros defence.
The Cards were the best 1aa team I've seen in a while,you put over 50 points on Reidsville at there place,and do the same to Tarboro in the championship game ,that just don't happen,
I believe Mitchell could have beat Tarboro, if they could hit a few big plays in the passing game and Mitchell's qb was healthy. He almost willed Mitchell to a win vs East Surry..

I would have liked to have seen Elkin Vs Rville in the WRF of 1A this past year. Not saying Elkin would have won but both teams were very similar and Elkin had a great O and D line. I watched Rville at Duke and they were super impressive!

I would have liked to have seen Elkin Vs Rville in the WRF of 1A this past year. Not saying Elkin would have won but both teams were very similar and Elkin had a great O and D line. I watched Rville at Duke and they were super impressive!

I think it would've been hard on Elkin to come into Robbinsville and stay within 2 touchdowns but match ups mean alot so who know.
Im not sure if others agree with me but I dont think the state title game was our best game but we did play good. Sometimes a game like that with a 31-00 lead makes a team kinda laid back. I think our best game was vs Swain or playoff game vs Murphy. The TJ game was a trap game but they did have very good linebackers. Robbinsville had a 24-07 lead on Murphy with 6 minutes to go in the playoffs before letting up a little. It seemed to me.

West Montgomery. Dominated the West....lost to very good teams from the East. Although in 2007 a blown call cost them the game and the Championship. Film shows the West Montgomery player cleanly made the catch that would have given the Warriors the W.
You must've forgot about that JK touchdown that the refs said that JK rb didn't get in. They later apologized for that, and said that he did get in. The play that you're referring to, WM QB was beyond the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball. So no, they shouldn't have won. JK07STATECHAMPS

Reactions: mbdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT