ADVERTISEMENT

Best Programs to Never Win a Title?

LetsGetIt7

Oct 16, 2018
Wilkesboro
Saw this question on the 3A board and it sparked some thought. What are some of the best Programs to never win a title?

Im only going back 20 years or so.
2009 Robbinsville
1999 Robbinsville not sure if it was 99 or not. Which ever year we broke Heath Shular wnc passing record and Carl Pickings wnc recieving record.

Southwest Edgecombe. Especially that 2009 team that lost to Reidsville. Southwest has had some really good teams over the years but they are always snakebit in the playoffs

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
Im only going back 20 years or so.
2009 Robbinsville
1999 Robbinsville not sure if it was 99 or not. Which ever year we broke Heath Shular wnc passing record and Carl Pickings wnc recieving record.

I have watch some of the knights past champions , but my opinion 2009 was the best robbinsville team Kurt Odom was very good, you guys had big d- linemen that was a stud probable your most dominate player . Your line was huge and very physical. That team got cheated out of the championship.

Reactions: BK13T-$
1996 Starmount Rams had 3 Shrine Bowl players among the roster. Lost to Bandys 13-7 in 2A West finals. The Trojans stopped the Rams atbthe half-yard line on 4th and goal from the 3.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
West Montgomery. Dominated the West....lost to very good teams from the East. Although in 2007 a blown call cost them the game and the Championship. Film shows the West Montgomery player cleanly made the catch that would have given the Warriors the W.

Best to not have one around my area.. hmm.

East Wilkes had that run in the mid 10's; the 2015 team I think coulda made the western finals in small 1A; but I don't know if they could have beaten Robbinsville. The 2017 team I see giving Cherokee a brawl and maybe beating them. I think if they did they woulda won the title that year. If West Wilkes for that matter had been a small 1A in the early 00's I see them making noise with their 2001 team. Them vs East Surry that year woulda been a barn burner. They were too big AMD wise for their own good. Their mid 00's teams also underperformed more than they should have.. guess that's what happen when you run a gimmicky offense in a super stout conference.

Southside Chocowinity is one I felt shoulda won one in the early 00's; Elkin just happened to be in their way. Same for Hayesville in 2002; Neil Setzer shoulda won him a title that year (our most underated head coach imo.) Elkin also blocked Manteo off but Southside deserved it more than they did.

I agree on Northeastern.. it broke my heart watching it slip from them in 2018. Honestly I felt they out hit and out played Reidsville in that game; Reidsville just got 1 break that helped them pull it out.

East Wilkes had that run in the mid 10's; the 2015 team I think coulda made the western finals in small 1A; but I don't know if they could have beaten Robbinsville. The 2017 team I see giving Cherokee a brawl and maybe beating them. I think if they did they woulda won the title that year. If West Wilkes for that matter had been a small 1A in the early 00's I see them making noise with their 2001 team. Them vs East Surry that year woulda been a barn burner. They were too big AMD wise for their own good. Their mid 00's teams also underperformed more than they should have.. guess that's what happen when you run a gimmicky offense in a super stout conference.

Southside Chocowinity is one I felt shoulda won one in the early 00's; Elkin just happened to be in their way. Same for Hayesville in 2002; Neil Setzer shoulda won him a title that year (our most underated head coach imo.) Elkin also blocked Manteo off but Southside deserved it more than they did.

I agree on Northeastern.. it broke my heart watching it slip from them in 2018. Honestly I felt they out hit and out played Reidsville in that game; Reidsville just got 1 break that helped them pull it out.

Elkin shelacked Southside that year. That team hit all cylinders at the right time. They killed the east every year. I remember that how big and fast that Northhampton team was they played in 05 was, and they ran through them like ghost pepper burritos.

If East Wilkes wouldn't have gave up that touchdown to Mitchell before the half in 2015 they go on to play for the state title that year. And defensively they probably match up to WRH better than Mitchell did. Not saying they would have won but they'd have slowed them down better than anyone else did. That defense was good. Probably one of the best defenses to come out of the area.

West Wilkes had a good run in the 2000s as you mentioned. I think them and East Surry both under achieved in the 2000s.

Ashe also comes to mind. They have put up insane numbers the past 10 years but get bounced early in the playoffs every year. Then again there have been some bad MVAC teams that have made them look good too.

East Wilkes 2015 would have beat robbinsville. I watched them both play that year

East Wilkes was Mitchell’s toughest playoff game till the state championship. they had a very physical team. Mitchell’s probably should’ve won the whole thing once in the last 6 years, but you can’t argue with the success. Travis Pitman is truly one of the best coaches in the business anywhere.

For what its worth CalPreps has Robbinsville winning 24-21 over W.W. on neutral field 2015.

Mitchell for sure, I think 2017 was their year but it didn't happen for them. I think they would have won it last year had they stayed small.

Reactions: Mhsneer
For what its worth CalPreps has Robbinsville winning 24-21 over W.W. on neutral field 2015.
CalPreps is a fun little tool but it doesn't mean anything. CalPreps has Murphy 2018 beating Murphy 2016 and if you take both at their best that wouldn't have happened.

Last edited:
I have said numerous times that 2015 Mitchell was better than East Wilkes, but East would've beat WRH. Their slow and low tempo, and tight run defense would've kept the dogs in check. Mitchell's style was similar to WRH, without the athletes to match.

Elkin shelacked Southside that year. That team hit all cylinders at the right time. They killed the east every year. I remember that how big and fast that Northhampton team was they played in 05 was, and they ran through them like ghost pepper burritos.

If East Wilkes wouldn't have gave up that touchdown to Mitchell before the half in 2015 they go on to play for the state title that year. And defensively they probably match up to WRH better than Mitchell did. Not saying they would have won but they'd have slowed them down better than anyone else did. That defense was good. Probably one of the best defenses to come out of the area.

West Wilkes had a good run in the 2000s as you mentioned. I think them and East Surry both under achieved in the 2000s.

Ashe also comes to mind. They have put up insane numbers the past 10 years but get bounced early in the playoffs every year. Then again there have been some bad MVAC teams that have made them look good too.

True; they really coulda won it in 2004.. 2 point loss in that one. Swain struggled with a down Elkin team so they were beatable.

WRH was too beastly then no one was gonna beat them but they woulda gave them more of a fit with their offense that year. East Surry especially would have.. Smith vs WRH's secondary woulda been fun. Walkertown perhaps but WRH was way more experienced than all three and that woulda been too much to overcome.

If East had went small 1A I see them making it to the big dance at least in 2017; Cherokee was good but East imo was better. They had faster skill guys and Vestal woulda shreaded their secondary if they had to pass. North Duplin didn't pass hardly at all and it became a hit and hit game running the ball. I see East sheading their secondary with more passes and their option game was awesome then. I can see them playing Robbinsville hard in 2015 but they had so much sucesss behind them it may be enough to help them win it out; but I wouldn't be suprised with a win. Them vs Plymouth that year woulda been fun.

Ashe's too big for their own good; if they were small 2A or 1A they'd be a solid 2nd round team every year at least. That 2014 team woulda made it deeper if they were lower. I see them giving a lot of teams fits that year. Them vs East Surry in 2014 woulda been fun. Monroe was too loaded and too motivated for Ashe to handle that year.

ES had some duds for sure.. that team I played in 2009 was probably the hardest line I ever went up against. Even their stringers were like hitting a rock wall. They wouldn't have beaten MA that year but they shoulda made the third round at least. We scrimmaged that East Wilkes team and besides their offense they weren't that impressive. How ES choked to them I have no clue. Same for that 2014 team.

Elkin's 1998 team badly underperformed. Starmount stole their mojo but Elkin was honestly just as good that year; they even ran the Wing T to copy Starmount and us and MA as we all had success with it.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
WRH 2015 had 2 d1 backs. It’d have been hard for anyone in 1a that year to come close

If East had went small 1A I see them making it to the big dance at least in 2017; Cherokee was good but East imo was better. They had faster skill guys
Im not so sure about that, Cherokee had a lot of skill speed that year. Cherokee finished 2nd in the 4x100 at the 1A western regional track meet that year and all 4 guys were skills on their football team. They had a FCS QB (Kennesaw State) a FCS RB (Gardner Webb) and a WR who is a 3 star recruit at Christ School now. Cherokee's QB Mintz was very fast, a legit 4.5 guy in the 40.

As far as East Surry beating Cherokee in 2017, I'm doubtful. Murphy played both and Cherokee was much better up front.

Last edited:
Another program that comes to mind is Southern Nash. Over the last decade Southern Nash has had some great teams but have been snakebit in the playoffs with some absolutely heartbreaking losses. Last year they finally broke through and played for a state championship but came up short against Charlotte Catholic.

Well we only butt heads about political issues so unlike the rest of the country it doesn’t mean we hate one another.

Reactions: footballstar_17
Well we only butt heads about political issues so unlike the rest of the country it doesn’t mean we hate one another.

Exactly. It can get heated, and I get passionate about things that have hit home, but I can agree to disagree, move on, and enjoy discussing another topic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT